Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Wow!! Nice! How's that made... 3D printer?

Yep. It felt like cheating just a bit, but once I stepped back and considered the hours spent sketching, measuring, modelling, printing, sanding, painting and finishing, it didn't seem so easy (though, I'll admit, I still feels just a tiny bit like cheating)

That container might work well in a shelter at a public park. It looks like it might not be very water resistant so it would need to be someplace protected from the elements otherwise, and as much as I hate to suggest this, it could work well as a guard rail cache.

Nope, not water resistant at all, but neither are wasp nests. Wasps rarely build someplace exposed, so placement is crucial, not just for the life of the logsheet inside, but for proper camouflage. It would only work in the winter as a park shelter hide. Parks and Rec come through with a pressure washer regularly in the summer to knock down the wasp nests. I don't mind replacing log sheets frequently, but I don't want to have to remake this every month during the summer. Fortunately, all I have to do is look where wasps like to build and find a similar spot.

Or you can soak it with several applications of clear coat spray. I hid a bison tube attached to a retractable cord and covered it with actual bees nests covered in clear spray. It held up great to the weather, but not to the person who hacked away at the tree to remove it..

a Mystery Final, logical about dogs...

20924847df.jpg

20924849lf.jpg

Not crazy about the film canister container (a Coghlans matchsafe would impress me more, a 3" round authentic lock n lock would have been icing on the cake) but I do like where the cache is located. And the hand crafted dog made of logs is very unique and fun.

Not exactly a container, but cool! Largest cache I found so far, beside earth caches. It was an advertisement place, rent for a week or so during GIGA event in Munich. There was (and still is) a real cache box with log book attached to the lower end of the wall, but the original cache was the wall itself. The film canister seen there is just a realistic looking 2D picture, a lot of people logged at the wall (which was accepted by the cache owners). :)

e0de2c41-f273-44bb-bc1b-a1d6083afc4b.jpg

The guy to the left is a homeless person, explaining the cache to my fellow cachers. He stated that he was a geocacher in earlier times and likes to have his place here, since cachers generally are friendly people. And he offered a pen for logging, for just a few coins into his hat... :)

Edited by Ben0w

Not exactly a container, but cool! Largest cache I found so far, beside earth caches. It was an advertisement place, rent for a week or so during GIGA event in Munich. There was (and still is) a real cache box with log book attached to the lower end of the wall, but the original cache was the wall itself. The film canister seen there is just a realistic looking 2D picture, a lot of people logged at the wall (which was accepted by the cache owners). :)

The guy to the left is a homeless person, explaining the cache to my fellow cachers. He stated that he was a geocacher in earlier times and likes to have his place here, since cachers generally are friendly people. And he offered a pen for logging, for just a few coins into his hat... :)

That's really cool! I love the creativity and having someone so nice at the cache location is the icing on the cake. Guess I need to plan a trip to Munich.

That's really cool! I love the creativity and having someone so nice at the cache location is the icing on the cake. Guess I need to plan a trip to Munich.

Sure, it's creative, but how did it get past the reviewer? That may be why there is a cache box now, because this issue has come up many times before, and I got the impression from reviewers that posted to those threads that a cache requires a log *and* a container (except for cache types which don't require a log).

Sure, it's creative, but how did it get past the reviewer? That may be why there is a cache box now, because this issue has come up many times before, and I got the impression from reviewers that posted to those threads that a cache requires a log *and* a container (except for cache types which don't require a log).

I just assumed that the container had been there since the beginning and the owner was just accepting logs from people who signed the wall. Maybe not, who's to know for sure?

Here is the fifth and final cache in my series, aside from the super-secret mystery cache whose photo will not appear here.

0208151659_zps0ecc52cb.jpg

Now, maybe you're thinking, Not ANOTHER birdhouse… but this one has something different about it.

0208151700_zpsd8e7193a.jpg

The inside is painted to best represent the character the cache was made for. On top of that, the container itself is covered in blue floral duct tape with a variety of blue items inside. The character's color scheme in the series is blue.

What do you guys think?

Here is the fifth and final cache in my series, aside from the super-secret mystery cache whose photo will not appear here.

Now, maybe you're thinking, Not ANOTHER birdhouse… but this one has something different about it.

The inside is painted to best represent the character the cache was made for. On top of that, the container itself is covered in blue floral duct tape with a variety of blue items inside. The character's color scheme in the series is blue.

What do you guys think?

I like nothing more then creative homemade caches like that, great work!

What do you guys think?

I like nothing more then creative homemade caches like that, great work!

Thank you, I worked really hard on it. :)

Perhaps you can find it if you ever drive out my way.

There was a box attached to the wall since the beginning, containing log book and pen. Logging at the wall was just for fun and very temporary.

Actually it was so big, a lot of cachers needed a second glance or a poke by a friend to just see it. So obvious, totally muggle proof. :)

I've posted photos of this cache to the CCC thread before, but here are step-by-step photos of its construction. I wrapped eucalyptus bark around the wide-mouth bottle because that's what I had available. Whatever trees shed thin, flexible pieces of bark in your area will work just fine.

Step 0: a wide-mouth bottle & a slice of a branch

75934115-1f19-47f5-baf4-8b6342ef6c3d.jpg

Step 1: tape, washers, screws, & slice of a branch

de71249f-aeb7-4683-8f88-8651ca98252f.jpg

Step 2: taping the slice of a branch to the bottle

0be691a9-5d21-4f8a-9253-cb01335dad20.jpg

Step 3: gluing bark to the bottle

aec7eca5-e7fe-4434-aa0c-c88fbfbf6654.jpg

Step 4: logbook, labeled lid, excess bark trimmed

37ecaa62-3829-4b3f-bd1d-8d2f4d631520.jpg

Step 5: cache hidden with lid out of view

16a7259b-4fe2-4619-abbe-7c76a3236742.jpg

• Upvote 1

a Mystery Final, logical about dogs...

20924847df.jpg

20924849lf.jpg

awwww lovely geo duggle examining the great wooden dog container :lol: we have a cacher local to us who puts out the most fantastic geocache containers, we say he has too much time on his hands :lol: :lol: good fun hunting for his caches. plus he retires soon, so fingers crossed he has even more time on his hands for more caches :D

I just finished up a very intricate paint job on an ammo can. It came out a bit rough on the top and one side, but i think it was overall pretty good.

The top,

PART_1439421940735_0812151821_zpsfcxqr2tp.jpg

Latch side,

PART_1439421848063_0812151821b_zpssqrf5p8x.jpg

The adjacent side,

d3917c63-d1fe-4600-be3e-23184acd6423_zpsutdo8huv.jpg

Side 1,

PART_1439421812745_0812151821c_zps8gdakmsl.jpg

And finally, Side 2,

PART_1439421909470_0812151821a_zps7smzdgqw.jpg

This is for an anime-themed cache I'm creating :D

• Upvote 1

My wife, Michelle, AKA Mrs. geocat, passed away August 7, 2014. Earlier this year I turned her car into a cache! I used her craft paints to paint the logos and trackable codes from ones I have in my inventory. I took a remote controlled skeleton/zombie we used to love to chase the kids down the driveway at Halloween and put her behind the wheel. I think she would love it! Mrs. geocat's Trackamobile

d39a52b6-e883-45a1-8075-12d3bf1fc5b1_l.jpg

ebd54334-e37d-4891-bbc5-ca1702798100_l.jpg

5f62f6d2-3a93-402a-b953-71b7f99da3f1_l.jpg

49c55c29-6c98-4de9-8a70-b11513367a76_l.jpg

Edited by geocat_
  • Upvote 1
My wife, Michelle, AKA Mrs. geocat, passed away August 7, 2014. Earlier this year I turned her car into a cache! I used her craft paints to paint the logos and trackable codes from ones I have in my inventory. I took a remote controlled skeleton/zombie we used to love to chase the kids down the driveway at Halloween and put her behind the wheel. I think she would love it!

What a beautiful, fun tribute to your wife!

My wife, Michelle, AKA Mrs. geocat, passed away August 7, 2014. Earlier this year I turned her car into a cache! I used her craft paints to paint the logos and trackable codes from ones I have in my inventory. I took a remote controlled skeleton/zombie we used to love to chase the kids down the driveway at Halloween and put her behind the wheel. I think she would love it!

Thank you!

I agree. That is amazing. I'm sure she would be very happy.

I did one awhile ago that I've since archived, and don't have pictures of. But I'll describe it.

It was basically a cache for tool users. I called it "Dave Ulmer's Tool Box", GCVXM2. It was a 3-stage where you needed different tools for each stage. The first was a small chunk of log maybe 3 inches thick and 8 inches long. I sliced it in half lengthwise, hollowed out enough space to put a film can inside, and fastened the halves back together with screws. The 2nd stage was a stack of logs, where one had a long tube stuck in a drilled hole. The final stage was an ammo can, but I drilled through the front top corners of the can where the lid overlaps, and ran a bolt through from side to side. I listed the tools needed to make the find, and generally got positive comments.

I had a few problems with it, though. First, bugs infested the first and 2nd stages pretty quickly. They can find their way into any hollow space, no matter how small. I tried to drop a few moth balls in there, but they tended to fall out when people made the finds, and not get put back. The moisture also did a number on the paper containing the coordinates for the next stage. I need a moisture-proof way to do this next time.

I've posted photos of this cache to the CCC thread before, but here are step-by-step photos of its construction. I wrapped eucalyptus bark around the wide-mouth bottle because that's what I had available. Whatever trees shed thin, flexible pieces of bark in your area will work just fine.

Step 0: a wide-mouth bottle & a slice of a branch

75934115-1f19-47f5-baf4-8b6342ef6c3d.jpg

Step 1: tape, washers, screws, & slice of a branch

de71249f-aeb7-4683-8f88-8651ca98252f.jpg

Step 2: taping the slice of a branch to the bottle

0be691a9-5d21-4f8a-9253-cb01335dad20.jpg

Step 3: gluing bark to the bottle

aec7eca5-e7fe-4434-aa0c-c88fbfbf6654.jpg

Step 4: logbook, labeled lid, excess bark trimmed

37ecaa62-3829-4b3f-bd1d-8d2f4d631520.jpg

Step 5: cache hidden with lid out of view

16a7259b-4fe2-4619-abbe-7c76a3236742.jpg

I believe I have found that one! It was pretty cool!

My wife, Michelle, AKA Mrs. geocat, passed away August 7, 2014. Earlier this year I turned her car into a cache! I used her craft paints to paint the logos and trackable codes from ones I have in my inventory. I took a remote controlled skeleton/zombie we used to love to chase the kids down the driveway at Halloween and put her behind the wheel. I think she would love it! Mrs. geocat's Trackamobile

Sorry to hear about your wife but that is a awesome cache and way to remember her everyday when you go outside.

oh wow zemartelo, that is downright TERRIFYING!!!

so, i am venturing into my first attempt at a mystery and a multi. superhero themed. id like to give a run-down of what ive got planned for them and get some tips and feedback; is this a good place to do that, or am i barking up the wrong thread?

As I read the beginnings, this thread is supposed to be photos of containers folks found (or if the ego couldn't be controlled, pics of caches by the owners :lol: ).

Maybe best to start your own thread about your planned caches, but don't give too much away.....you may be in my area.

We were driving home the other day and came across this guy, obviously a cacher, transporting his cammoed cache container to its hiding spot. Followed for a little while but had to turn off. Wonder where he intends to hide it.

Probably under some bridge.

152a7ced-572c-4111-8298-7209272034d6.jpg

THAT'S THE BIGGEST DANG BISON TUBE I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!

Ahh, so THAT'S a mobile cache ... being a bit of a newbie I was wondering about them.

Besides the bolt caches, fake bug caches and birdhouse caches, the coolest cache I've found so far is a real piece of wood about 1.5 foot long cut in half length wise and the two pieces fit together with dowel rods and there is a place inside hollowed out that a film canister sits inside that holds the log. This particular cache is one that someone actually made, not one of the premade that you can buy. Anyone would very easily walk right past it if they didn't know what to look for. I will upload a pic tonight when I get home.

Besides the bolt caches, fake bug caches and birdhouse caches, the coolest cache I've found so far is a real piece of wood about 1.5 foot long cut in half length wise and the two pieces fit together with dowel rods and there is a place inside hollowed out that a film canister sits inside that holds the log. This particular cache is one that someone actually made, not one of the premade that you can buy. Anyone would very easily walk right past it if they didn't know what to look for. I will upload a pic tonight when I get home.

There was a cache I found several years ago called "Woodchunk" that was a similar design to that 1.5 foot long log, except that it was only about 2" in diameter and maybe 4" high. It was also about a half mile up a trail into the woods in an area with a bunch of dead fall. I was surprised that it only took me about 20 minutes to find it.

There was a cache I found several years ago called "Woodchunk" that was a similar design to that 1.5 foot long log, except that it was only about 2" in diameter and maybe 4" high. It was also about a half mile up a trail into the woods in an area with a bunch of dead fall. I was surprised that it only took me about 20 minutes to find it.

Wow, that would be really hard to find! The one I found was about 6" in diameter and it was laying next to a fallen tree with another limb laid over it. This was a multi-cache, at the first stage was a lock-n-lock box with clues as to what you were looking for at the final.

The ultimate "micro" (microwave) cache:

As viewed when approaching from a nearby trail:

c77d27c5-b2aa-4bc2-b469-71b123a8a0d6_l.jpg

A closer look:

af251181-4b78-4d63-938c-b8bc06688354_l.jpg

A view from the "back" side:

8d6733e3-e195-4103-ad3b-f4ae695e1177_l.jpg

Mostly hand-sawed (which took like forever) with fasteners assembled from inside to be invisible. This started as a 17" diameter log, 26" in length, weighing well over 100 lbs green. Final cache is still estimated around 50 lbs (with working innards of the microwave removed). I hauled it to the forest with help of an appliance hand truck. There's a few seams which are larger than I'd like, but definitely nothing obvious from a distance. Also notice that it's plugged into an electrical outlet in a dead stump. There's more details inside once the door is opened, but that's a surprise that I'm not going to share here.

Edited by medoug

This is one that I just put out (and was found today).

V__DAD8_zpsiqitypji.jpg

It is a two stage letterbox themed after a Pirate Queen. The first stage leads cachers to a log in the middle of a lake where a treasure map rests, and then the map leads them to a tree on an island. They have to climb up and find the ammo box that I tied to a limb. It has a hook, so it can be taken down to the bottom of the tree for larger caching groups.

This picture was sent to me by the first to finder, he loved it!

Cache page: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6FYCQ_the-pirate-queen-of-thunderbird-lake

uote name='jnielsen78' timestamp='1461943160' post='5580443']

Here's my new cache, I did a log a few years back but it washed away in a flood. Now with my son wanting to go caching with me we decided to build a fake rock.

y1oUyTz.jpg

3yQFvcw.jpg

10FK6nW.jpg

Nice work. That's sure to get a lot of favourite points. And generous of you to make it a swag size cache.

I like the added magnet attachment which will keep the container off the ground and make it less likely to wick in water.

Is there a gasket under the lid? I find that cutting out and gluing a circle of thin fun foam to fit under the lid will help keep the lid snug to the container and keep moisture out.

Nice work. That's sure to get a lot of favourite points. And generous of you to make it a swag size cache.

I like the added magnet attachment which will keep the container off the ground and make it less likely to wick in water.

Is there a gasket under the lid? I find that cutting out and gluing a circle of thin fun foam to fit under the lid will help keep the lid snug to the container and keep moisture out.

Thanks its 1 for 1 with visits and favorites so far :) No unfortunately no gasket other than the red plastic coated red paper you see there. I cut up a strip 2 inches wide of a school folder to give the height needed to get the lid from an old cooking pot off the ground. The lid has a a bit of concave underneath and the top is peaked like a round roof. Might be enough to direct water outward, I tried to make the first layer of spray foam even spread out with a trowel. It'll be interesting to see how handles the climate in Ohio. A little test before we do its big brother, want to make a large container with similar construction. Finding the perfect place for that will take awhile.

log%20book.png

not a cache container, but thought I would share a few log books I made. was in home depot looking at some paint with the wife when I thought these samples would make a neat log book. going to place a sharpie with them to sign.