Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

notrespassing2.jpg

Don't know how cool this would be normally, but with the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well.

http://www.geocachingstuff.com/15-posted-no-trespassing-sign.html

Clever but not cool. This would invite cachers to be law breakers. What if they found this cache and then tried to open a real No Trespassing Sign the next week. Not a good idea.

notrespassing2.jpg

Don't know how cool this would be normally, but with the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well.

http://www.geocachingstuff.com/15-posted-no-trespassing-sign.html

Clever but not cool. This would invite cachers to be law breakers. What if they found this cache and then tried to open a real No Trespassing Sign the next week. Not a good idea.

Real No Trespassing signs don't have boxes behind them. With the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well..

Real No Trespassing signs don't have boxes behind them. With the correct page write up and area, as well as permission, it could work well..

The problem isn't with how different the cache is from a real No Trespassing sign, but rather how much one has to investigate the next No Trespassing sign in order to determine that it isn't a geocache. No matter how well the page on this cache is, we cannot determine whether the next cache just isn't a No Trespassing sign or is a No Trespassing sign that just isn't as well described.

The problem isn't with how different the cache is from a real No Trespassing sign, but rather how much one has to investigate the next No Trespassing sign in order to determine that it isn't a geocache. No matter how well the page on this cache is, we cannot determine whether the next cache just isn't a No Trespassing sign or is a No Trespassing sign that just isn't as well described.

They can investigate the next sign all they want but they STILL won't find a box behind it hiding a log book.

I found this one in Hays a while back. The lid opened up to reveal a container with a logbook and some small SWAG items.

4859a3f1-1556-4744-9f0d-ac83b97c940c.jpg

Hey that's one of my caches!!! Thanks for sharing KaRue

Oh hey there! You're the person that helped me log a find for my non-member sister-in-law. Much thanks for the find, yours are always so creative.

Here's one I just got published. When you lift up the skull on the headstone it opens up a trap door on the side.

talesfromthecrypt_zps835b8346.jpg?t=1412036867

That's so cool! I wish mine were that creative, all I have is a lending library, a cellphone as a container, and a hollowed out log. I'm working on a steampunk puzzle box though for a themed cache series.

03ebe80d-6f15-494a-946e-41e51ef43132.jpg?

It's an old broken "fake camera" with the guts cut out if it. Magnet mounted. It has a larger sized match tube which could hold some coins. This hide style won't work just anywhere. It's one of those that need a special place. But I think it would be pretty cool. I'd print a decal with the GC Number, to put on the sides.

Edited by kunarion

03ebe80d-6f15-494a-946e-41e51ef43132.jpg?

It's an old broken "fake camera" with the guts cut out if it. Magnet mounted. It has a larger sized match tube which could hold some coins. This hide style won't work just anywhere. It's one of those that need a special place. But I think it would be pretty cool. I'd print a decal with the GC Number, to put on the sides.

I have one of these. It was one of the ones that moves. I was just trying to figure out how to get a log book into it. I like this idea.

We make the caches in our profile photo, but the best one (besides those, of course) I've seen was in Roswell, New Mexico. It was in a 5 foot by 5 foot area of nothing but rocks, and it was (I'm sure you can guess)-- a hollowed out rock! I can't tell you how many funny looks we received while trying to find that cache.

We make the caches in our profile photo, but the best one (besides those, of course) I've seen was in Roswell, New Mexico. It was in a 5 foot by 5 foot area of nothing but rocks, and it was (I'm sure you can guess)-- a hollowed out rock! I can't tell you how many funny looks we received while trying to find that cache.

I kind of disagree that that's a "good" hide. Yes, it's tough, but it's also not very creative. It doesn't take a lot of thought to hide a fake rock (or hollowed-out rock) in a pile of rocks...or a pine cone cache at the base of a pine tree in the forest. It does take a lot of thought to make a cache virtually invisible in a varied setting and still have it look like nothing else around it.

So I have a new hide in progress but have hit an impasse. I am making a cache for my cross country team out of a log split lengthwise and am having a hard time deciding how the log will be done. Should I make it to where cachers sign the log itself, or hollow out a space for some sort of small container?

The team was also going to sign the outside, but if I made a hollow for a container, then some kids will sign the inside.

What do you guys think?

Photo of cache below.

1015142119_zps85dfaff3.jpg

So I have a new hide in progress but have hit an impasse. I am making a cache for my cross country team out of a log split lengthwise and am having a hard time deciding how the log will be done. Should I make it to where cachers sign the log itself, or hollow out a space for some sort of small container?

The team was also going to sign the outside, but if I made a hollow for a container, then some kids will sign the inside.

What do you guys think?

Photo of cache below.

The guidelines require a container *and* a log. Carve out some space on the inside for a log book. The nice flat surface on the inside of your cache could be used in some artistic manor that would make it more interesting. You could paint it or use a rice paper decal under epoxy, for example:

file.jpg

What do you guys think?

Photo of cache below.

The guidelines require a container *and* a log. Carve out some space on the inside for a log book. The nice flat surface on the inside of your cache could be used in some artistic manor that would make it more interesting. You could paint it or use a rice paper decal under epoxy, for example:

file.jpg

Ditto. Besides...I wouldn't worry about folks signing the actual wood part of the log. You provide the container and a log sheet, so you fulfill your requirement for placing an appropriate cache container. What folks do in order to sign it is not really your concern.

Just archived one of my favorite caches today.

GC2EE9F A CLOSE ONE!

It was inside a hair salon (Yes I had permission.) that closed after 24 yrs.

The bottom hid a loc n loc container.

I don't know how to load the picture so Im linking to the cache page http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2EE9F_a-close-one?guid=b3456572-d99d-401d-bdde-3541a578cffa

Edited by Rayvan43

Some container ideas (never placed):

Here's a Who! It's built on a 50ML centrifuge tube (larger than a match tube).

f1c97c40-b1f5-4cd2-a886-e487d918b555.jpg

This bear is bolted to the ammo can (I use 2 or 3 screws to secure this type), and JB Weld seals the connections from leaks.

a3b904fb-7407-42dc-ad2e-a13736bd63b6.jpg

A magical cache. Some of these electronic caches may work for a little while, but outdoors will unforunately go silent eventually.

6dd843a3-7b02-4224-acd6-08b9a74a9700.jpg

Pooh and Tigger's honey pot. It's a Nalgene jar to seal well, with a decorative lid above it.

71dd6548-ea2d-436f-83f8-e72dddf69f9d.jpg

A robot, bolted to the ammo can.

bfe15640-d73a-480e-b4b9-ae3b595f8b57.jpg

A castle.

9d1c9ea1-eca7-4f77-a8ee-65f2a067198b.jpg

5b4287ac-a16a-44ea-9a83-84d9985781b4.jpg

Here's a micro cache! Get it? I found two at the thrift store, and one rotates the bowl, lights up, and the timer works. A magnet holds the cache container bowl in place. This micro could be strapped to a tree in the forest. The "micro" that doesn't work can hold a bigger container, since it doesn't revolve. So the "Micro" would be categorized as a "Small". :anicute:

5a50757c-b312-4b0a-a45a-2ecbe892000c.jpg

Two rocks glued together hold a fake rock with magnets.

caf78667-f0fd-45e1-b377-993b70b6bb28.jpg

3b389d1e-3e79-4eeb-b6cd-d1ed0b54f20e.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Thank you. :) It took three weeks of painting and sketching to do just the designs. Your comment really made my day. Here is another that i am going to place tomorrow. It's from the same series as the ammo can. Each cache represents one of the five main characters, with the cache itself being customized for their character, and the locations reflecting everything from their backstory to their current life.

Here's what the outside looks like…

0201151553_zpsc29e6705.jpg

And here's the inside.

0201151554_zps6a887eba.jpg

The color of all the SWAG is purple because that is the color of the costume this character wears. And yes, the clock on it actually works.

I haven't decided if I am going to make this PMO.

Edited by KaRue

Some container ideas (never placed):

Here's a “micro” cache! Get it? I found two at the thrift store, and one rotates the bowl, lights up, and the timer works. A magnet holds the cache container “bowl” in place. This micro could be strapped to a tree in the forest. The "micro" that doesn't work can hold a bigger container, since it doesn't revolve. So the "Micro" would be categorized as a "Small". :anicute:

5a50757c-b312-4b0a-a45a-2ecbe892000c.jpg

There is a cache here called "Another Micro in a Tree".

It's a full sized microwave strapped to a tree in a cluster of pine trees.

The log is in a green bison in another tree in the cluster.

I'd love to hide this one, but I've been smacked down a couple of times by a local reviewer on placement, so I'm just not feeling it any more and have moved on to new ideas. I'm actually so over it that I haven't picked it up from my last attempted placement, over 4 months ago. I figure that will give it some durability testing, at least.

33b0fm8.jpg

Hanging in my porch for a believability test.

2dmcuv4.jpg

Up close and personal.

358dt0p.jpg

Well, look at what we have here!

Hopefully I'll find just the right spot and it'll actually get approved.

I'd love to hide this one, but I've been smacked down a couple of times by a local reviewer on placement, so I'm just not feeling it any more and have moved on to new ideas. I'm actually so over it that I haven't picked it up from my last attempted placement, over 4 months ago. I figure that will give it some durability testing, at least.

Hanging in my porch for a believability test.

Up close and personal.

358dt0p.jpg

Well, look at what we have here!

Wow!! Nice! How's that made... 3D printer?

2dmcuv4.jpg

Up close and personal.

That container might work well in a shelter at a public park. It looks like it might not be very water resistant so it would need to be someplace protected from the elements otherwise, and as much as I hate to suggest this, it could work well as a guard rail cache.

Wow!! Nice! How's that made... 3D printer?

Yep. It felt like cheating just a bit, but once I stepped back and considered the hours spent sketching, measuring, modelling, printing, sanding, painting and finishing, it didn't seem so easy (though, I'll admit, I still feels just a tiny bit like cheating)

That container might work well in a shelter at a public park. It looks like it might not be very water resistant so it would need to be someplace protected from the elements otherwise, and as much as I hate to suggest this, it could work well as a guard rail cache.

Nope, not water resistant at all, but neither are wasp nests. Wasps rarely build someplace exposed, so placement is crucial, not just for the life of the logsheet inside, but for proper camouflage. It would only work in the winter as a park shelter hide. Parks and Rec come through with a pressure washer regularly in the summer to knock down the wasp nests. I don't mind replacing log sheets frequently, but I don't want to have to remake this every month during the summer. Fortunately, all I have to do is look where wasps like to build and find a similar spot.

Nope, not water resistant at all, but neither are wasp nests. Wasps rarely build someplace exposed, so placement is crucial, not just for the life of the logsheet inside, but for proper camouflage. It would only work in the winter as a park shelter hide. Parks and Rec come through with a pressure washer regularly in the summer to knock down the wasp nests. I don't mind replacing log sheets frequently, but I don't want to have to remake this every month during the summer. Fortunately, all I have to do is look where wasps like to build and find a similar spot.

I'm just saying...I've seen a lot of wasp/bees nests when searching for a cache in a guard rail (and under lamp posts skirts) and I've also seen a lot of wet logs in caches hidden in a guard rail or under a lamp post skirt.

I hadn't considered the idea that park maintenance might use a power washer to knock down wasps nest but that makes sense. Hopefully you'll find a good location for it.

Here is one I will be placing shortly. The water bottle is for scaling purposes.

0201151556_zps4186c041.jpg

It's the third that I've posted from my cache series.

*Well* [groan] that's some nice work. I is that gold object to the right of the well a pot of gold, and if so, do you plan on placing it at the end of a rainbow?

Well, not quite. I wanted it to look like a pot of gold, but it's not going to a rainbow. :( Instead it's going into the woods. :)

I'm just saying...I've seen a lot of wasp/bees nests when searching for a cache in a guard rail (and under lamp posts skirts) and I've also seen a lot of wet logs in caches hidden in a guard rail or under a lamp post skirt.

I hadn't considered the idea that park maintenance might use a power washer to knock down wasps nest but that makes sense. Hopefully you'll find a good location for it.

Hmmm... I've never seen a wasp nest in a guard rail, maybe we have a different brand of wasp around here? True about wet logs in seemingly sheltered places, though.