Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Made this head for one of my caches. The Coordinates for the next waypoint are inside a petling that's on the inside of a plasic bone. The bone is then pushed into the throat from it's bottom.

I saw the term "petling" used on a cache I found in Germany a little over a week ago. I had never heard the term before and that it might be the result of a German - English translation. What is a petling?

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

Twenty-seven finds, zero favorites.

Tough crowd.

Best idea: Don't hide any more caches. They're not appreciated.

The average number of favorites scored per cache in my area is zero.

The median is zero. For a random group of twenty geocaches, there was one favorite given for every fifteen years in hiding.

Fifteen years. I'm going to go play tennis now. We have favorite shots every single set, without ever getting sticks and leaves in your face.

Twenty-seven finds, zero favorites.

Tough crowd.

It was archived many years before Favorite points were invented.

It was also voted best cache in NSW (Austrailia) in 2003. (link)

I want to build that cache but alas, it is outside my skill level :( Too bad its archived. Those are the rare finds that would be worth a special overseas trip.

I've been planning this one for awhile and finally placed it a week ago. I thought I'd share it with detailed pictures in case anyone else wants to try this themselves.

First, I bought a plastic owl from Walmart, the kind they put in gardens to scare away birds. I widened the opening at the bottom to make it large enough to accommodate a lock & lock container, and I cut small holes in the front and back for a metal rod to slide through to keep the container from falling out of the owl. After these pictures were taken I put a metal binder clip on the end of the metal rod to keep it in place. There's a place for a hook at the top of the owl and I threaded two metal keychain rings through it.

8a8oS.jpgAeP9w.jpg

I didn't want to do a regular owl cache so I suspended it about 25 feet high on a tree (yes, I hiked an extension ladder into the bushes).

cChkN.jpg

I used 100+ feet of polypropylene rope and strung it at the 25-foot height through eyebolts attached to multiple trees. At the final tree, which was 30 feet from the cache, I threaded the rope through a final eyebolt and brought it down near to the ground. The idea is that the cache coordinates are at the owl, but they'll only see it if they look up. And when they do, they'll have to figure out how to get it down. They'll need to follow the rope in the air from tree to tree to find out where it ends.

bagjt.jpg

At the base of the final tree, I threaded the rope through a final eyebolt and then used two hooks to wrap around the slack in the rope. I attached the end of the rope to a carabiner which ensures the end of the rope won't go through that final eyebolt even if a finder accidentally lets go of it.

6UKuc.jpgJcmj1.jpgpnJtW.jpg

I measured enough rope so that when the rope is unwound from the hooks and the weight of the owl pulls the rope through up to the carabiner, the owl drops down from the tree to about waist level so finders can access the cache.

aqDZ9.jpgSi00F.jpg

To reset the cache, the finder pulls the rope to elevate the owl and winds the rope back around the hooks.

If anyone is interested in more details, feel free to PM me or ask in this thread.

The owl strung by rope through eyebolts cache is awesome. I have been envisioning a similar concept of a cache myself for a couple years but never made it happen. - good to see that others had the same concept and followed through with it. Nice work!

Edited by slammer47

I've been planning this one for awhile and finally placed it a week ago. I thought I'd share it with detailed pictures in case anyone else wants to try this themselves.

First, I bought a plastic owl from Walmart, the kind they put in gardens to scare away birds. I widened the opening at the bottom to make it large enough to accommodate a lock & lock container, and I cut small holes in the front and back for a metal rod to slide through to keep the container from falling out of the owl. After these pictures were taken I put a metal binder clip on the end of the metal rod to keep it in place. There's a place for a hook at the top of the owl and I threaded two metal keychain rings through it.

8a8oS.jpgAeP9w.jpg

I didn't want to do a regular owl cache so I suspended it about 25 feet high on a tree (yes, I hiked an extension ladder into the bushes).

cChkN.jpg

I used 100+ feet of polypropylene rope and strung it at the 25-foot height through eyebolts attached to multiple trees. At the final tree, which was 30 feet from the cache, I threaded the rope through a final eyebolt and brought it down near to the ground. The idea is that the cache coordinates are at the owl, but they'll only see it if they look up. And when they do, they'll have to figure out how to get it down. They'll need to follow the rope in the air from tree to tree to find out where it ends.

bagjt.jpg

At the base of the final tree, I threaded the rope through a final eyebolt and then used two hooks to wrap around the slack in the rope. I attached the end of the rope to a carabiner which ensures the end of the rope won't go through that final eyebolt even if a finder accidentally lets go of it.

6UKuc.jpgJcmj1.jpgpnJtW.jpg

I measured enough rope so that when the rope is unwound from the hooks and the weight of the owl pulls the rope through up to the carabiner, the owl drops down from the tree to about waist level so finders can access the cache.

aqDZ9.jpgSi00F.jpg

To reset the cache, the finder pulls the rope to elevate the owl and winds the rope back around the hooks.

If anyone is interested in more details, feel free to PM me or ask in this thread.

The owl strung by rope through eyebolts cache is awesome. I have been envisioning a similar concept of a cache myself for a couple years but never made it happen. - good to see that others had the same concept and followed through with it. Nice work!

Yeah, how 'bout that.

- And archived for lack of maintenance, not for all the eyebolts in the tree...

I've been working for 2 months to create GeoSnake (GC4YDPC).

Inside:

IMAG1252_rsz.jpg

Outside:

IMAG1307_rsz.jpg

This "device" is programmed with my own version of "Snake" - the game we all played on our old Nokia phones!

When the cacher completes level 5, the coordinates for the final is displayed.

Here's a short video:

The device was built with an Arduino Nano as the CPU, a recycled Nokia 3110 screen and PS-style joystick.

It was quite the build - I learned a lot about electronics and programming at the same time!!

The device was built with an Arduino Nano as the CPU, a recycled Nokia 3110 screen and PS-style joystick.

It was quite the build - I learned a lot about electronics and programming at the same time!!

Extremely cool. I would love to do something like that one day.

Yeah, really cool idea. Snake was the first computer game I played. Meanwhile, I found this, http://www.onemotion.com/flash/snake-game/

Extremely cool. I would love to do something like that one day.

That does look pretty cool. I have some Arduino-based caches in the works also.... But I'm cheap so I'm going to make people bring their own 9V battery! ;)

Because of the small container I could only fit 2 AA batteries.

Battery life is around 12 hours total. If each cacher spend 20min playing that gives about 36 finds before I need to swap batteries.

Where I live, this will take probably 6 months, so not too much maintenance.

The device also displays batt level when the game ends, so that users can log the batt level in their logs to give me a heads up.

Because of the small container I could only fit 2 AA batteries.

Battery life is around 12 hours total. If each cacher spend 20min playing that gives about 36 finds before I need to swap batteries.

Where I live, this will take probably 6 months, so not too much maintenance.

The device also displays batt level when the game ends, so that users can log the batt level in their logs to give me a heads up.

Yep, very nice, I was impressed with that too, at the end. :)

My plan is to build up some stainless steel panel/boxing to fit inside ammo cans. The company I work for has all the punch/press equipment needed, so long as I can slip in some home-jobs into the production plan... I'll have the controls and a battery holder on the top... I don't trust people to switch things off after they're finished! ;)

Here's one of mine. It had trouble with the mechanics and so i had to do some maintenance. I took the chance to record a video:

First part = "test" after maintenance

Second part = installed in the wood

Sorry for the poor quality of the second part... took some time to install the cache and so it was already getting dark when i took the video.

Edited by tantje M

One of our latest creations for Maker Madness this Saturday.

Geoscouts Webcam

22aec7d2-b781-4493-be7a-9702f570bba6.jpg

Big brother is watching

Heavily inspired by the earlier post in this thread. The box is magnetic and contains logbook and pencil and batteries to light the LED.

Currently the LED stays lit but I thought about maybe adding a small circuit to flash out a morse code for further final coordinates.

Inside:

IMAG1252_rsz.jpg

Outside:

IMAG1307_rsz.jpg

This "device" is programmed with my own version of "Snake" - the game we all played on our old Nokia phones!

When the cacher completes level 5, the coordinates for the final is displayed.

Here's a short video:

Woohoo!!

In no small part due to this thread, this cache has been selected by Groundspeak as Geocache of the Week!!

I love this thread, and thank you to everyone posting here for giving me (and others) inspiration!!

Here's one of mine. It had trouble with the mechanics and so i had to do some maintenance. I took the chance to record a video:

Sorry for the poor quality of the second part... took some time to install the cache and so it was already getting dark when i took the video.

Evil, evil, evil - I love it!!

Looks fine... but what about the placement-guidelines 1.3 (Geocaches are never buried, neither partially nor completely. If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.) ??

A couple things I did for our recent Easter event that could be made into caches. First thing pictured is riddle solving. Second thing pictured is a whole pile of rabbit puzzles. Each puzzle is composed of 9 pieces, which are collected, then assembled to give the final coords and a hint. I cut the pieces out using a jigsaw and leftover laminate. Cut the pieces out, sand them, THEN apply a piece of duct tape to the back of the puzzle to hold it together and write your coords on the front with a permanent marker. The laminate I used has a waxy coating which repels water. To make the carrot decoder, you cut out the little grid of letters, mark the letters you want, then duct tape the grid carefully to the carrot. Then drill right through the letters. Sand lightly. For the event, I wanted to make things super quick, so I circled the starting circle and bolded the starting letter. Probably not necessary if it's for a cache-let them figure it out!

914d7fc9-9bcc-4c5e-a17a-d506c63d62d1.jpg

3199816b-cbdc-4679-b5fd-39147f0fd3ec.jpg

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Evil, yes. Fits the guidelines, NO. Caches are NEVER BURIED.... Back to the drawing board.

A couple things I did for our recent Easter event that could be made into caches. First thing pictured is riddle solving. Second thing pictured is a whole pile of rabbit puzzles. Each puzzle is composed of 9 pieces, which are collected, then assembled to give the final coords and a hint. I cut the pieces out using a jigsaw and leftover laminate. Cut the pieces out, sand them, THEN apply a piece of duct tape to the back of the puzzle to hold it together and write your coords on the front with a permanent marker. The laminate I used has a waxy coating which repels water. To make the carrot decoder, you cut out the little grid of letters, mark the letters you want, then duct tape the grid carefully to the carrot. Then drill right through the letters. Sand lightly. For the event, I wanted to make things super quick, so I circled the starting circle and bolded the starting letter. Probably not necessary if it's for a cache-let them figure it out!

914d7fc9-9bcc-4c5e-a17a-d506c63d62d1.jpg

3199816b-cbdc-4679-b5fd-39147f0fd3ec.jpg

Great Job! Those look like fun for finders of any age.

Evil, yes. Fits the guidelines, NO. Caches are NEVER BURIED.... Back to the drawing board.

You're right. But the container is on my property and the cacher can log without having to dig. I guess that is the most important point. Not 100% ok but in this place/ situation 'acceptable' in my opinion.

You're right. But the container is on my property and the cacher can log without having to dig. I guess that is the most important point. Not 100% ok but in this place/ situation 'acceptable' in my opinion.

The problem is 'acceptible' in your opinion does not fit the guidelines for hiding caches listed on Geocaching.com. This can lead other cachers to believe that burying caches in an acceptable practice. It is NEVER acceptable to bury a cache, even on your own property, regardless of the 'cool factor'. Rules is rules, even when we don't like them.

92fe09af-fb00-402d-94c2-a53dca070bcf.jpg

c6e078a9-7e1d-451e-8844-5395e9b05e73.jpg

0d7bde73-cea6-4d9e-9023-782ae9ddfcda.jpg

26933b68-9ec7-48d5-8a90-62f1511dc07a.jpg

f91aea8b-331e-4993-ac13-ec4ee2d42878.jpg

I've placed a few containers similar to these, but they can't go just anywhere (and remain unmuggled). There's an Event each year where people vote on cool caches and then bid in an auction. If I won something like these, I'd probably just keep it. But they're designed with durability outdoors in mind.

The toys are from Goodwill. They usually don't work or have missing pieces. My requirement is that they'd still work as an object on a cache.

Edited by kunarion
This thread SHOULD be buried in the pictures sub-board.
If you think the purpose of this thread is "photos and photography tips", then sure. But I don't think that's really the purpose of this thread.

IMHO, the focus on this thread isn't the photography, but the creativity of the geocaches and their camouflage. As such, this thread fits better in the forum for "geocaching and related topics", which is this forum.

i disagree.

Well it is a thread full of pictures so it seems the pictures sub-thread is an appropriate place.

It's a thread about ideas for cool caching containers, just unfortunate the OP named it the way he did but that was 10 years ago.

Edited by Roman!

It's a showcase of cache container photos which is apparently what the photography board is supposed to house. The pictures of cemetery cool caches thread is a showcase of cemetery cache photos and it was moved to that board. I don't see a difference in the 2.

The cemetery cache thread is misnamed, even in the OPs original post which includes 9 pictures, not one of them shows an idea for a cache, the thread is about cemeteries, gravestones, etc., not caching.

The cool cache container thread gives others ideas how to place caches, it should actually be a must read for newbies.

If you changed the title to "cool ideas for caches to place" people would still post pictures as it is easier than trying to describe them.

Actually here is an exchange from the cemetery thread, notice the OP saying there are not even caches in the cemeteries.

I started this in a cemetery cache thread, but then it occurred to me that this would make a great running thread, much like the Cool Cache Containers, Among The Ruins, and Hungry Tree threads.

I

Your pictures are nice and I'd like to visit these cemetaries. I wonder, however, where the cache containers are hidden. I cannot recognize a container. I certainly do not want anyone to post spoiler pictures, but as long as no caches are shown, I guess the topic is rather nice cemetary locations which have been visited while geocaching, isn't it?

BTW I once did a night cache that led to a mystic area with old family tombs. I do not have pictures of the area, but some can be found in the gallery

http://www.geocachin...e0-0bbbfb1a6951

Cezanne

Very few of those that I've posted actually have the container hidden in the cemetery, and none were anywhere near the headstones. These are the things that you get to see when a cemetery cache brings you there. I have personally only seen one cemetery cache that was hidden close to a stone, and that was by a caching team that was well known for putting out poorly thought-out hides.

This is the OPs first post in this thread, notice the words pictures or descriptions:

Saw these pics posted in another thread. I love the idea of custom containers. The fav one I found was a log that was split and made into a container. Please post pics or discriptions if you do not have any pics of Cool Custom Cache Containers (ok CCCC's now

And here's the first 2 post after the OP:

ideas...ideas...more ideas!

except that one will be noticed when all the other pine cones are gone...lol

Where did you get it? I gotta have one!

Big difference between the two threads.

Edited by Roman!