Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Chino1130 - what kind of paint do you use? Anytime I paint a keychain the paint scratches off a lot.

A lot of that has to do with how you prep the object. Also, keep in mind, a keychain takes a constant beating. Everything on my key chain looks like it's a hundred years old. After chemically removing the anodized coating, scuffing the bare metal, and priming the pieces, I use an outdoor paint that a lot of artists use on outdoor murals as the base coat. I then I use an outdoor enamel for the detailing. The containers then get 3 or 4 layers of clear coat.

Here's a nano I recently put out as a LPC.

photo4drf.jpg

By ohiosioux at 2012-08-16

It looks like all you did was glue some of the parts togther to "disable" the trap. I would have snipped the "tails" of the springs (the parts that touch the wood base) to truly render the cache harmless.

The spring arms that leverage the kill bar are indeed snipped... The glue is necessary to hold the unpressured mechanism in such a way as to look ready to spring and to look realistic. Clearly it's working!

Just submitted Auburn Sea for review. It will be located in New Hampshire, near Lake Massabesic. Spoiler video of final container and how to open this puzzle box:

Sure wish we lived in your area! That is amazing! :D

He has one of the top favorite caches in NH - a multi. It's truly a masterpiece. I highly recommend if you are ever in the southern NH area - make a detour for his caches. You won't be disappointed! And after watching this spoiler video - I now need to make an effort to solve this puzzle! (I'm not much of a puzzle person).

Springcat

If you're from Winston-Salem: Look away quick, because this contains a bit of a spoiler, though you still have to figure out where in the library it's hidden (insert evil laugh here)

I know this concept isn't particularly new, but I decided to build this one from scratch rather than convert an existing book and I was very happy with the way it turned out.

cover.jpg

This one has a custom-printed log book (done as a favor for me by a printing buddy of mine) and even has a security strip so the cache will set off the library's theft detection system if any muggle tries to make off with it.

The Title Page

titlepage.jpg

The Info Page

infopage.jpg

The FTF Page

ftfpage.jpg

The All-Important SWAG Compartment

swagcomp.jpg

Edited by Armorsmith
  • Helpful 1

@Armorsmith - That is awesome. I would pay a pretty penny to have one of those made as a keepsake box. Your friend did a great job!

I was in Michael's craft store the other day and saw this Halloween decoration that would make an interesting container. Nothing spectacular but I thought it would be pretty cool. I haven't decided on the name yet, but it will have "Lobotomy" in the title. ;)

Rgr8y.jpg

HpObh.jpg

Edited by ll JK ll

A new cache that I hide today.

snip image

Nice Idea! Have you considered having the hinge on top so the flap fails to a closed postion?

I would be afraid that it would get left OPEN or fail to that state fairly often.

Of course, getting it to look the same would need some fiddling around to clear the top piece.

Another type of 'blind' hinge rather than the current one, for a start. Has to lift out and up.

Just a thought.

Otherwise, nicely done.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

snip image

Nice Idea! Have you considered having the hinge on top so the flap fails to a closed postion?

I would be afraid that it would get left OPEN or fail to that state fairly often.

Of course, getting it to look the same would need some fiddling around to clear the top piece.

Another type of 'blind' hinge rather than the current one, for a start. Has to lift out and up.

Just a thought.

Otherwise, nicely done.

Doug 7rxc

Thanks =) My first idea were to have the hinge on top but since I didn´t have any blind hinge I decided to skip that idea and have the hinge on a more invisible spot. Instead I have magnets to hold the flap closed and hopefully it will work out fine =)

I've been planning this one for awhile and finally placed it a week ago. I thought I'd share it with detailed pictures in case anyone else wants to try this themselves.

First, I bought a plastic owl from Walmart, the kind they put in gardens to scare away birds. I widened the opening at the bottom to make it large enough to accommodate a lock & lock container, and I cut small holes in the front and back for a metal rod to slide through to keep the container from falling out of the owl. After these pictures were taken I put a metal binder clip on the end of the metal rod to keep it in place. There's a place for a hook at the top of the owl and I threaded two metal keychain rings through it.

8a8oS.jpgAeP9w.jpg

I didn't want to do a regular owl cache so I suspended it about 25 feet high on a tree (yes, I hiked an extension ladder into the bushes).

cChkN.jpg

I used 100+ feet of polypropylene rope and strung it at the 25-foot height through eyebolts attached to multiple trees. At the final tree, which was 30 feet from the cache, I threaded the rope through a final eyebolt and brought it down near to the ground. The idea is that the cache coordinates are at the owl, but they'll only see it if they look up. And when they do, they'll have to figure out how to get it down. They'll need to follow the rope in the air from tree to tree to find out where it ends.

bagjt.jpg

At the base of the final tree, I threaded the rope through a final eyebolt and then used two hooks to wrap around the slack in the rope. I attached the end of the rope to a carabiner which ensures the end of the rope won't go through that final eyebolt even if a finder accidentally lets go of it.

6UKuc.jpgJcmj1.jpgpnJtW.jpg

I measured enough rope so that when the rope is unwound from the hooks and the weight of the owl pulls the rope through up to the carabiner, the owl drops down from the tree to about waist level so finders can access the cache.

aqDZ9.jpgSi00F.jpg

To reset the cache, the finder pulls the rope to elevate the owl and winds the rope back around the hooks.

If anyone is interested in more details, feel free to PM me or ask in this thread.

I know this concept isn't particularly new, but I decided to build this one from scratch rather than convert an existing book and I was very happy with the way it turned out.

cover.jpg

This is fantastic! I am seriously going to steal this idea. But I have a question for you: do the cache coordinates lead to the exact location of the book within the library itself, or do they lead generally to the library and then you have a puzzle in the cache listing for finders to uncover the exact location of the book?

Edited by Benchmarkone

Benchmarkone, I thought screwing eyebolts etc, into a live tree was a no no?

It is generally discouraged as a bad idea, because it can lead to a 'Monkey See - Monkey Do' mentality, eventually leading to gobs of things getting hammered/screwed into trees, something which can put off many land managers. If very explicit permission for the hide technique is obtained, and explained on the cache page, it will likely pass muster.

As a general rule, hammering/screwing things into trees causes little or no harm to the tree. It's the perception which is bad, in this case.

It is generally discouraged as a bad idea, because it can lead to a 'Monkey See - Monkey Do' mentality, eventually leading to gobs of things getting hammered/screwed into trees, something which can put off many land managers. If very explicit permission for the hide technique is obtained, and explained on the cache page, it will likely pass muster.

As a general rule, hammering/screwing things into trees causes little or no harm to the tree. It's the perception which is bad, in this case.

Thanks, Clan. That's an excellent summary of the large number of discussion threads about this issue, most of which I read through before designing and placing this cache. To avoid derailing the discussion of cool cache containers further, I'll briefly note that I obtained permission for this hide from the landowner.

Edited by Benchmarkone

Now that is cool, anyway I can get in touch with him, Id like to have one too. PM me!

I actually made the book, my friend just printed the logbook that is glued into the front cover.

@Armorsmith - That is awesome. I would pay a pretty penny to have one of those made as a keepsake box. Your friend did a great job!

I'll try to mock up a tutorial on how to do this and post it somewhere.

this is really nice!! I would love to do something like that

This is fantastic! I am seriously going to steal this idea. But I have a question for you: do the cache coordinates lead to the exact location of the book within the library itself, or do they lead generally to the library and then you have a puzzle in the cache listing for finders to uncover the exact location of the book?

Feel free to steal the idea and the design for the book, but please don't steal the puzzle, I've never seen or heard of another cache that uses this method to hide its location and we have a local cacher with 27000 finds who told me the same thing, so if I really did get an original idea for once I'd love to this one a little time to be unique (at least for a little while). There are two parts to the puzzle, one is a GPS puzzle to find the right door to the library, and the other is figuring out where in the library it is hidden. I won't post a link to the cache page here or state the cache name here because I don't want Google to start handing out hints, but if you look at the pictures you'll know where to find the cache page.

I made four books when I started, two for this cache (primary and backup), and two others that I'm giving to friends to hide in other libraries in other states, but each will have its own unique puzzle to solve.

Feel free to steal the idea and the design for the book, but please don't steal the puzzle, I've never seen or heard of another cache that uses this method to hide its location and we have a local cacher with 27000 finds who told me the same thing, so if I really did get an original idea for once I'd love to this one a little time to be unique (at least for a little while).

Oh, you don't need to worry about me finding your cache, figuring it out and then stealing the puzzle. Unless the cache is located in rural Alberta, I won't be anywhere near it anytime soon. :) Besides, I've already been thinking about ideas of my own for puzzles and enjoying the challenge of it. I am ridiculously excited about doing this in my area and I really have to thank you for the creative idea. If you have a chance, I'm looking forward to your instructions for building the book cache.

b25583.jpg

I don't understand. Please explain (in English).

Poker, Vadtjärn is the name of the location, it's a little pond, and the blue square with the white P on it is the symbol for a parking place here on this side of the pond. Hope that helps ya some :)

Norde, well, bud, you just made that one easy for me ;)! Guess I'll be visiting this one this coming weekend, if the weather allows!

b25583.jpg

I don't understand. Please explain (in English).

Poker, Vadtjärn is the name of the location, it's a little pond, and the blue square with the white P on it is the symbol for a parking place here on this side of the pond. Hope that helps ya some :)

Norde, well, bud, you just made that one easy for me ;)! Guess I'll be visiting this one this coming weekend, if the weather allows!

Doh! :D I was just about to put some pics up from another of my caches, Söderhamn by night, but I think I´ll be holding for that one for a while. Make sure to log it first Mousekakat!

That is my walkway by my front door. I live on a cul-de-sac and it is my front yard :) and you can barely notice it from the road unless you are looking for it.

Also the neighbors are very protective around here lol

Are your neighbors able to distinguish between a geocacher that is swapping trackable items in your cache and a thief looking for something to steal?