Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

may I copy it? I love the idea and I got few of the stuffs I need. I got another idea that will be harder. dry.gif

Sure. Why not?

I think anybody can copy all the idea in this forum.

In my case, it's an honor if somebody use my idea.

I've already designed mine 'in my head'...now just got to make it :)

Btw, maybe not the place to put it but ;

Why does almost every reply contain all the previous pictures and stuff.

It takes up a lot of space, and its no 'fun' seeing the same picture 15 times with only 1 or 2 lines of reply.

Isn't it usual to leave the pic's (and large pieces of unrelated text) out when replying ?

:unsure:

With it, it makes it very 'messy' to read.

It takes up a lot of space, and its no 'fun' seeing the same picture 15 times with only 1 or 2 lines of reply.

Isn't it usual to leave the pic's (and large pieces of unrelated text) out when replying ?

It seems on this forum people get highly agitated if you alter their posts in any way, shape or form. Silly but true.

It seems on this forum people get highly agitated if you alter their posts in any way, shape or form. Silly but true.

I'll frequently, when responding to a post that has an image, replace it with [image snipped] or somethings similar (and not just in this forum) and I've never had anyone object. In the early days of Usenet, when bandwidth was at a premium, editing the content of a post to which you were responding and leaving only the context that was necessary, was not only acceptable, but encouraged. Granted, bandwidth issues don't exist anymore (for the most part...but there are still a lot of places in the world where bandwidth *is* a major issue), but it's still a waste of time to scroll past reams of text and images to get to a response.

I'll frequently, when responding to a post that has an image, replace it with [image snipped] or somethings similar (and not just in this forum) and I've never had anyone object. In the early days of Usenet, when bandwidth was at a premium, editing the content of a post to which you were responding and leaving only the context that was necessary, was not only acceptable, but encouraged. Granted, bandwidth issues don't exist anymore (for the most part...but there are still a lot of places in the world where bandwidth *is* a major issue), but it's still a waste of time to scroll past reams of text and images to get to a response.

you'r right, same here where I am grown with BBS system, I usually cut quoted msg and let only that it is necessary to understand my reply.

if they disallowed hotlinking this would go away. however bandwidth and disk storage space would go up.

its cheaper to use other sites BW and diskspace.

Well, all i mean that it seems unnecessary to me to include in every reply the pics.

And indeed it can take a lot of 'scrolltime' to get to the new unread messages.

Hotlinking is not such a good idea i think.

I see many forums with 'image deleted' signs, so you don't get to see anything at all.

My idea just be short with reply's .

That increases readability a lot.

(and 100 lines of quote and 1 word of reply doesn't help either)

Hehe, or is it because i'm also from the bbs era ?

:lol:

This is my favorite, as it is weather and critter proof. Plus it holds coins and other swag easily...

th_megabison.jpg

What is it.???

It's like a giant bison tube. About the size of 6-8oz can of V8.

Looks very interesting. Where does one get them.

Shop.gxproxy.com look under cache containers

Edited by Frozen Buns

I drilled a 12mm hole in a dead tree, and inserted the snail thing :-)

And of course you realize that drilling into the tree (dead or not) is against the guidelines.

From Section 1.1 of the guidelines:

Geocache placements do not deface or destroy public or private property. Geocaches are placed so that the surrounding environment is safe from both intentional or unintentional harm. Keep both natural and human-made objects safe. No object or property may be altered to provide a hiding place, clue, or means of logging a find.

Aside from that, very clever.

This is my favorite, as it is weather and critter proof.

If you swap out the entirely too soft O-ring, it'll stay weather proof. B)

If you haave purchased any with "whimpy" o-rings they will replace them free with the new Tough 4x's Thicker one...FYI

I'll let my local retailer know. He recently aquired a case of them.

All of them have way too squishy O-rings. He'll be glad to hear this.

Thanx! :)

>I like the snail. what did you use to secure the bison tube in the snail?

I filled up as much of the inside as possible with hotmelt glue first,

let at cool down, add one last mayor drop, put in the lit of bison, done..

now the snail is impossible to brake :-)

I added a thick layer of transparent varnish to make it look nice for along time.

The hole I made in the old rotten tree, is agled a little bit so the snail stay there, simply by its weight,

The good thing about caches like this,

is they are always put back EXACTLY where they are supposed to be :-)

The good thing about caches like this,

is they are always put back EXACTLY where they are supposed to be :-)

Good luck with that. Never underestimate the powers of some geocachers to find a way to put something back incorrectly. You would think it would be unlikely that they would replace a lok-n-lok lid upside down, but I've seen it happen several times.

And I wear it proudly.

You should come get me, then, because I damage things every time I go caching. I squash little blades of grass when I walk across fields, I step on fallen branches and twigs (dead tree parts, right?) and break and snap them. I step on and climb over fallen logs (more dead trees!) and sometimes dead bark or moss falls off! Sometimes I even leave a small gash here my hiking boot got into the soft, decaying wood. Sometimes leaves fall off LIVE trees when I climb them to find those hanging bison tubes. And don't get me started on all the dead leaves I trample in the fall! All in the name of geocaching.

Hell, I even bought part of a dead tree from Home Depot and *gasp* cut it up to make a birdhouse cache! Shame on me. You might as well petition to have me banned from the website.

I'm a menace.

And I wear it proudly.

You should come get me, then, because I damage things every time I go caching. I squash little blades of grass when I walk across fields, I step on fallen branches and twigs (dead tree parts, right?) and break and snap them. I step on and climb over fallen logs (more dead trees!) and sometimes dead bark or moss falls off! Sometimes I even leave a small gash here my hiking boot got into the soft, decaying wood. Sometimes leaves fall off LIVE trees when I climb them to find those hanging bison tubes. And don't get me started on all the dead leaves I trample in the fall! All in the name of geocaching.

Hell, I even bought part of a dead tree from Home Depot and *gasp* cut it up to make a birdhouse cache! Shame on me. You might as well petition to have me banned from the website.

I'm a menace.

I agree Mitragorz! Caching is about creativity and fun. I follow the rules, but I too have drilled into a DEAD tree to place a cache. Come get me as well! And when you do I will show you how you can put aside your uptight ways and have fun! I never said you have deface public property to place a cache, but sometimes a really good hide requires a bit of modification of the surrounding area. This forum is about creativity NOT policing ones creativity. I love these guys and gals who think they are the Geocaching authority once they have found a significant amount of hides and or placed a large amount of containers.Go out and have fun instead of hiding behind the computer complaining about other peoples ideas

Edited by lightningo2
now the snail is impossible to brake

Never underestimate the power of chilruns.

I swear my kids could break an anvil using nothing but a banana. :lol:

I'm a menace.

This forum is about creativity NOT policing ones creativity.

Do you two know why the guidelines are oft cited in this thread?

Contrary to your cited belief, they are not cited by evil Geocops desperate to stifle your creativity. Rather, they are cited by folks who love this game, want to see it continue, and have been around long enough to recognize how something that a noob might see as a "minor modification" could easily lead to a ban on geocaching if such modifications were reported to a land manager. Having seen similar incidents result in bans in the past, those who love the game take a proactive stance, pointing out how such modifications could be guideline violations.

Promoting the guidelines is not being a geocop, regardless of how desperate you are to apply a negative label to someone who tells you an uncomfortable truth. Promoting the guidelines is a way to ensure the game survives.

But the rule that's always cited to prevent people from modifying dead trees is the same one that's conveniently ignored by those who was to stick fire tacks in live ones. And I just don't understand that.

And what about applying camo to containers? Surely that should be considered altering an object or property and should be avoided, since altering property, both public and private, is strictly forbidden....

Here's a VERY extreme example to drive my point home. Wouldn't the simple act of signing the logbook be in violation of this rule? Specifically:

No object or property may be altered to provide a hiding place, clue, or means of logging a find.

I move to ban geocaching. It's only a matter of time before people are signing their names with bulldozers! :lol:

Edited by Mitragorz

According to the "geocops" damage is damage, no matter how small. While I agree with that in theory, I don't think a fire tack in a tree is a big deal. Just like I don't think modifying a dead stump to hold a cache is a big deal. I just don't see a fire tack leading someone to drive a railroad spike into a tree.

I think a lot of people just go overboard sometimes. People aren't out cutting down trees to hide a cache. But if I've got a pile of firewood, and a lightbulb goes off in my head, I'm not going to say "dadgum, I can't modify my own firewood to hold a cache... I guess I'll just make an LPC. "

Kinds back on topic: I once found a cache next to a cemetery where someone had taken part of a tree trunk, probably cut for firewood, and hollowed out a small compartment on one end. The cache was held in the recess by small clips. It was completely invisible unless you tilted the stump over.

Is that REALLY against the rules? Should I go back and log a NA?

This is my favorite, as it is weather and critter proof.

If you swap out the entirely too soft O-ring, it'll stay weather proof. B)

If you haave purchased any with "whimpy" o-rings they will replace them free with the new Tough 4x's Thicker one...FYI

Wonder where he got them. Are they 4" x 2" like the Mighty Mega? It will say Mighty Mega on the bottom.

Edited by Frozen Buns

Wonder where he got them. Are they 4" x 2" like the Mighty Mega? It will say Mighty Mega on the bottom.

I imagine he got them from the same place you did.

"Mighty Mega" on one side, I think.

"Space Coast Geocaching Store" on the other.

In that case we sold them to him and will contact to see if he changed out the o-rings. Thanks for the heads up, if you know anyone with a problem have them contact support for a replacement.

I'll let my local retailer know. He recently acquired a case of them.

In that case we sold them to him and will contact to see if he changed out the o-rings. Thanks for the heads up, if you know anyone with a problem have them contact support for a replacement.

Awesome! I didn't realize that Frozen Buns was associated with GXProxy, and that your endorsement of a particular product was a sales pitch. Have you sent new O-rings to everyone who purchased a Mighty Mega? I'm thinkin' that would be the first step in Dale swapping them out. If you haven't, then he probably hasn't either. As to knowing anyone else with a problem, I suppose that would incorporate anyone who has ever purchased a Mighty Mega. Since you are the retailer, I'd think you would have much easier access to that data than I would.

As to the container, I agree with your endorsement. I was quite amazed to see just how much room those things actually had inside, and how well they were constructed. I expect I'll be adding some to my arsenal. Have you guys explored producing any in matte tones? Even the camo and the black are pretty shiny. The other colors are dang near luminous. :lol: If you could match the flat, sheen-less surface of your typical ammo can, that would be way kewl.

I am sorry, dont got any pictures of this.. (yet)

but you know the top plastic end stoppers ?

they sit on the top of traffic signs and such.

they are designed so they can not be pulled up by muglers or kids without tools,

and for a good reason offcourse :-)

but if an evil minded geocacher show up in a dark night with a big flat screwdriver

they are possible to pull out, take home, modify slighty so they can be pulled up with no tool needed,

add a 35mm film box using a string, show up next night and put it back,

bingo you got it..

they are designed so they can not be pulled up by muglers or kids without tools,

but if an evil minded geocacher show up in a dark night with a big flat screwdriver

they are possible to pull out, take home, modify slighty so they can be pulled up with no tool needed,

bingo you got it..

Sounds like a Fence Post Cache (FPC):

6566940511_004fabbb4a_z.jpg

Although a cache owner should buy a fence post cap, modify it for the geocache, and then place it in a fence post that is missing its cap. This avoids violating the guideline against defacing or destroying property.

bingo you got it..

Sounds like a Fence Post Cache (FPC):

6566940511_004fabbb4a_z.jpg

Although a cache owner should buy a fence post cap, modify it for the geocache, and then place it in a fence post that is missing its cap. This avoids violating the guideline against defacing or destroying property.

I've seen that trick fairly often. Like the sprinkler heads, I think they've reached the point of overdone. <_<

bingo you got it..

Townships ban geocaching here in the US because of people "modifying" things that are not supposed to be taken apart. They have it that way for a reason.