Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Start point (when nano retrieved from the exit the cacher replaces it through the small hole ready for the next cacher to fined)

9b1bcc64-8183-4106-b789-3eb2f91886bc.jpg

Internal view (Start point top right exit bottom left)

117bc264-27d7-4d5e-9c83-90086aeb9b98.jpg

Exit

4b9f97b7-748e-4566-b523-87505f1f9e8d.jpg

This is a new cache that is nearly ready for deployment

It’s made out of the same recycled plastic board that I made the others out of

Oh that does look fun. Let us know that cache listing when it gets posted. i would love to read the description.

Dude! Can I steal this idea?

yes you can steal the idea as I stole it from someone ellse

I take it that is a maze, and the finder needs to work the nano through it, correct? If so, then how will you make sure they work the nano backwards all the way to the beginning, and don't simply leave it in the last compartment?

I take it that is a maze, and the finder needs to work the nano through it, correct? If so, then how will you make sure they work the nano backwards all the way to the beginning, and don't simply leave it in the last compartment?

Isn't that what the small hole is for that is mentioned above the first picture?

Isn't that what the small hole is for that is mentioned above the first picture?

look at text above first pic

(Start point (when nano retrieved from the exit the cacher replaces it through the small hole ready for the next cacher to fined))

there will be instructions on the box when its deployed

Dude! Can I steal this idea?

yes you can steal the idea as I stole it from someone ellse

Probably a 1 way hinged door to insert the cache.

Look at the top photo, top right corner. There's a small hole just large enough to re-insert the nano. Sure you might be able to jiggle it out that way, but I doubt it.

Look at the top photo, top right corner. There's a small hole just large enough to re-insert the nano. Sure you might be able to jiggle it out that way, but I doubt it.

the hole in the top is just big enough for the nano to pass through you would spend longer trying to get it out of this hole than you would doing the hole maze

I have handed a few friends the maze to do and it has taken them 2-3 minutes to complete so it’s not too hard

One thing I do need to do is cover the exit, so you don’t drop the nano when it reaches the exit (I am thinking about a sliding door so you can hear the nano when it hits it)

the hole in the top is just big enough for the nano to pass through you would spend longer trying to get it out of this hole than you would doing the hole maze

I have handed a few friends the maze to do and it has taken them 2-3 minutes to complete so it’s not too hard

One thing I do need to do is cover the exit, so you don’t drop the nano when it reaches the exit (I am thinking about a sliding door so you can hear the nano when it hits it)

A really cruel thing to do is make it such that there is no way to get the nano out, just make it seem like you can. Then hide the real cache a little better a couple of feet away (but make the "maze" a more obvious find).

Yes, I am evil.

As a newb GC'er I thought I would take a gander at this thread so I could get an idea of what to expect when looking for a cache. After looking at some of these photos I wonder...what is wrong with you people? Splitting apart an pine cone much less AN ACORN to hide a log?! You folks are cruel with a very warped sense of humor.

My kinda people by the way.

I wonder, do some CO's save the best hides for their front lawns just so they can watch and laugh at fellow GC'ers struggle to find the cache all while trying not to attract attention from passing muggles?

-Dave

To keep this thread on-topic (pictures of cool cache containers), I've posted my reply in the Discussions - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread.

As a newb GC'er I thought I would take a gander at this thread so I could get an idea of what to expect when looking for a cache. After looking at some of these photos I wonder...what is wrong with you people? Splitting apart an pine cone much less AN ACORN to hide a log?! You folks are cruel with a very warped sense of humor.

My kinda people by the way.

I wonder, do some CO's save the best hides for their front lawns just so they can watch and laugh at fellow GC'ers struggle to find the cache all while trying not to attract attention from passing muggles?

-Dave

Since you don't need the nano to blend in to help conceal it, I would also paint it a bright fluorescent color (pink/orange/green) so that if it does get dropped, you can find it easier on the ground.

Looks cool, but I'd counter sink and plug the screw holes. A lot of cachers carry multi tools and it's a sure bet someone with a phillip's head will take a shortcut.

Or use exterior grade construction adhesive to glue it all together.

[Edit: typos and remove the re-post of he image]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Looks cool, but I'd counter sink and plug the screw holes. A lot of cachers carry multi tools and it's a sure bet someone with a phillip's head will take a shortcut.

Maybe you could explain it better so people without the knowledge would better understand? I doubt everyone knows what countersink is or have the tools to do it. Anyho, I think anyone who would stoop to removing the screws would do it with plugs as well with any filler. Maybe use a star head screw or a square head screw so a leatherman or similar tool would not work?

Maybe you could explain it better so people without the knowledge would better understand? I doubt everyone knows what countersink is or have the tools to do it.

Please exonerate my inconsideracy in failing to expound upon commonly known terminology. Henceforth, I shall endeavor to refrain from posting in verbiage of plural syllables in order to avert the ostracization of those lacking the ability to use Google. All cheekiness aside, only the OP need understand in this case, as that is whom my comment was directed toward. Clearly the OP does know what countersink means and possesses adequate tooling to accomplish such, as the clearance holes in the photo are clearly countersunk. Please forgive my improper usage of the word "countersink" rather than "counterbore", as only the latter would accept a plug to conceal the fastener.

the way this is constructed means that it would take longer to remove the screws than solving the puzzle plus all joints will be glued

If cachers can be bothered to unscrew the box all be it the only person they are cheating is themselves

Here's one that I have been working on for a while. Still needs a good paint job and some finishing touches before I can hide it, but you get the gist. Oh and BTW, the "tool" required to open it does get returned.

***** WARNING *****

Kansas City area cachers, if you like being surprised when you find a Mushroom Finder cache, you may want to refrain from watching the attached video.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Turn4fun/?action=view&current=IMG_0031.mp4

Here's one that I have been working on for a while. Still needs a good paint job and some finishing touches before I can hide it, but you get the gist. Oh and BTW, the "tool" required to open it does get returned.

***** WARNING *****

Kansas City area cachers, if you like being surprised when you find a Mushroom Finder cache, you may want to refrain from watching the attached video.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Turn4fun/?action=view&current=IMG_0031.mp4

Thats a good one.

***** WARNING *****

Nice! Don't forget to put this Attribute on the cache page: fee-yes.gif

***** WARNING *****

I like it

with my luck I would have to come back and retry cause all I had was folding money. Do the proceeds go to a good cause? "The mushroom finder cache creation fund"

BTW missed the BTW message

Edited by Cliff's Notes

***** WARNING *****

that's amazingly creative. Could you pm me how you did that?

Using the Gatorade top cache again as a starting point, blobbed on the body filler. This one looked animal like to me.

180fddbe-b583-4e29-b113-38f50c1ace01.jpg

So painted it up covered with clear silicone added the fake fur squashed into the silicone. It is white till it cures clear.

0bb47cb3-839f-4373-8492-46ff2d10894f.jpg

Waiting for the guts to cure and get clear.

b6c4f8a6-a14d-4f0b-93e1-0ec8a73be071.jpg

d73586eb-c5df-4014-8a81-03aebb72afde.jpg

458a567e-9707-4972-a942-2f0757ce02f5.jpg

This is how I keep a micro from being dull. Most want to poke my caches with a stick before picking up.

Only just joined in with posting on the Forum's but I love some of the ideas shown here :lol:

I made a few containers today to suit the wooded areas where we search here in the UK, I will experiment some more now I have the basics sorted and maybe get even more wicked with the concealment :)

I do wonder though how difficult should we make it before they become unfindable ?

Look forward to more crafty themes.

J & E

Not depoloyed yet, but I am preparing maze related cache. Some part of idea came from martinbryn (#5111). Thanks him for great idea.

At first visitors solve following maze, and calculate final coordinate.

ee6a10fd-383a-40e6-a278-7bb10e726a85.png?rnd=0.495077

At the final coordinate, they can see following container.

fbadd31b-daec-4f3c-9ade-59d2d005143e.jpg

Seems like normal lock&lock box, but open it then :

d5e3a72e-f4e0-4a3c-b453-d9a836608458.jpg

The logsheet is in nano capsule, which is put into the maze upper right. It can be out at lower left hall, upper right hall is so tight that it can't go out.

However, as you can see, the maze is too simple, so anybody can get it within 1 minute.

So I think another option like following. The visitors can hardly see through it, so it can be difficult to take out.

1aa6a088-bdd0-46e5-a896-993d64513f54.jpg

======

So what do you think the best out of following 3 options?

1. transparent

2. white

3. white with hint (layout)

I am soory that my English is not good, but your help will be highly appreciated.

Min

So what do you think the best out of following 3 option

1. transparent

2. white

I'd make it transparent. But at least include instructions on what to do. I think some people would love your idea!

After seeing this and another similar container which uses a small maze I've been thinking about building something based on one of those wooden labyrinth games where you have to avoid all the holes until you get to the end of the mze. I've seen a video from a guy that built one from scratch and am trying to come up with a idea that would require completing the labyrinth such that the metal ball can be used to activate a switch that displays a set of final coordinates.

1. transparent

2. white

I'd make it white (not transparent), but with the maze drawn on the white. This allows you to see the maze, but not where the container is in the maze at any given time.

Okay this sounds like the best of both worlds. That gives a finder an idea of the layout now they just have to figure out where it is. Not a bad Idea. The best part is there is room for some swag in the container as well.

One suggestion I would make is create a small stopper to prevent bits of stuff, like foliage, and whatnot from working there way in between the re-sets.

Not depoloyed yet, but I am preparing maze related cache. Some part of idea came from martinbryn (#5111). Thanks him for great idea.

The logsheet is in nano capsule, which is put into the maze upper right. It can be out at lower left hall, upper right hall is so tight that it can't go out.

However, as you can see, the maze is too simple, so anybody can get it within 1 minute.

So I think another option like following. The visitors can hardly see through it, so it can be difficult to take out.

======

1. transparent

2. white

I am soory that my English is not good, but your help will be highly appreciated.

Min

Hi

I like your idea and I am glad you used my idea for inspiration.

My Cache has gone live

Its amazing | GC3AH23

The cache is going down well so far, taking people about 5 minutes to solve the maze once found

As you can see from the pictures of mine in this thread you cannot see into the maze and you do not get a clue as to the layout

Looking at yours, the path to the end is not too complicated and should be easily solved without being able to see the path.

If you can see or have a plan of the maze then it will take a matter of seconds to complete

Which for me would make the effort of making it, and the effort of going to find it, disappointing.

I found a good way to test my maze, was to give it to friends and ask them to solve it, before it went out in the field , If they can solve it, then it can be done in the field

Edited by martinbryn

ee6a10fd-383a-40e6-a278-7bb10e726a85.png?rnd=0.495077

fbadd31b-daec-4f3c-9ade-59d2d005143e.jpg

======

1. transparent

2. white

Min

I prefer option 4: Bring a hammer

:P:lol: :lol:

I think this is very cool. The one flaw I see with this is that you're relying on each subsequent finder to put the nano cache back exactly where you put it.

Thank you all (specially martinbryn) for nice ideas.

The following is the final.

abae9db7-c33c-4409-94ef-ca8864faf716.jpg

The transparent board is acryl, and it turned into semi-transparent after applying instant glue. ;)

I think this is good for me even if it is an accident.

Thanks again for your kindness.

may I copy it? I love the idea and I got few of the stuffs I need. I got another idea that will be harder. <_<