Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Here's a current container project i'm working on snipped

Oh how I wish I could make something like that but alas, I have no tools!!

Following a past forum thread detailing exactly how to build one of those cryptex tubes, I rushed right out and spent a gazillion dollars on tools and parts. After about a month I realized that having the right tools wasn't helping, as I gots no skillz. :lol:

I have some skills but more machines that will pretty much get me there. However it's still not a fast process.

The right tools makes this project easier, but patience is really the best thing...my dad and I got together a year ago, and put one of these together using a handheld drill, hacksaw, pocketknife, sandpaper, and a workbench vice. Incidentally, it's in use in the above-mentioned Poe-themed cache that I'm slowly putting together.

Photoshopped to prevent the final sequence from being given away...

cache.jpg

How does this one work then?

The long and the short of it is you have to flip the toggle switches on each row to cause an indicator light to power up at the end (supplying power to the next row and so on). When all the rows have been successfully configured, the 7 segment LEDs display an unlock code (or in this case, a code that leads to an unlock code).

Photoshopped to prevent the final sequence from being given away...

cache.jpg

How does this one work then?

The long and the short of it is you have to flip the toggle switches on each row to cause an indicator light to power up at the end (supplying power to the next row and so on). When all the rows have been successfully configured, the 7 segment LEDs display an unlock code (or in this case, a code that leads to an unlock code).

I've thought about doing something like this using a 7 segment LED but use one switch for each segment of the LED and then create a puzzle that must be solved to reveal the sequence of settings to use to light the proper segments of LEDs. For example, AbCDeFG would indicate that swithes A,C,D,e,F, and G needed to be on and would display a 5.

Here's my first contribution to this thread. It's a commercially available bird nesting box with a few adjustments.

It was originally held together with staples so I reinforced the majority with drywall screws & Gorilla Glue, added a hasp + padlock, burned the wood to blend it easier with the natural surroundings and added the two chocks at the top so the hasp can do it's job.

I've done a few things since the picture however, covered up the entrance hole from the inside so I don't actually get things nesting in it, sealed all the joints with silicone to keep it nice & dry and tacked a plate of ply to the base as it was originally designed with pretty big drainage holes.

DSC_1486.jpg

DSC_1485_1.jpg

Edited by Stoka

Here's my first contribution to this thread. It's a commercially available bird nesting box with a few adjustments.

It was originally held together with staples so I reinforced the majority with drywall screws & Gorilla Glue, added a hasp + padlock, burned the wood to blend it easier with the natural surroundings and added the two chocks at the top so the hasp can do it's job.

I've done a few things since the picture however, covered up the entrance hole from the inside so I don't actually get things nesting in it, sealed all the joints with silicone to keep it nice & dry and tacked a plate of ply to the base as it was originally designed with pretty big drainage holes.

DSC_1486.jpg

DSC_1485_1.jpg

Looking good. Just a couple thoughts though. Open the drain holes back up and stick a Lock&Lock in it.

The padlock is because it's the finale of a multi and each one gives you a part of the combination. The coordinates that you pick up along the way lead you to a small lock & lock with a doorbell 'buzzer' inside. You then have to walk around pressing the button until you can hear the bird tweeting from the receiver mounted inside the bird house ;-)

The padlock is because it's the finale of a multi and each one gives you a part of the combination. The coordinates that you pick up along the way lead you to a small lock & lock with a doorbell 'buzzer' inside. You then have to walk around pressing the button until you can hear the bird tweeting from the receiver mounted inside the bird house ;-)

That is so cool.

Hope to find it someday!

This is my Southern Black Widow cache with reflective eyes for hunting at night. I made it and my kids painted it. This has started long list of artistic animal caches soon to be released.

BlackWidow.jpg

here is an ammoimal I did a few years ago and it has held up well. It's called, This Little Piggy Went...GC2QBFG

a33aa6c0-54b9-49d0-b537-2dae5d42a77c.jpg?rnd=0.369453

Edited by geoing nuts

Here is one of my caches that has been up for awhile. GC2RN3B Can You spot it?

a2c2ee33-9161-47fe-bcf4-baf61fe48ff2.jpg

Is it in the Cannon Ball...maybe the top one...?

Lol. Just cause you found it recently doesn't mean you can spoil the fun... 'bout time a fellow south GA cacher was found on here.

55b2e49d-d25b-4ce6-9b67-01c6a3eee169.jpg

d7519bc1-435f-4555-b460-c8295393dbdf.jpg

The cannon Balls were made from softball cores that were found in the woods behind some softball fields. They drill and paint well.

Edited by geoing nuts

One of my favorites that I did was 'Funky Monkey' GC2ZX98, an old piggy bank made from a coconut. I sealed the slot with silicone and made a swing cover for the bottom, filled the piggy bank with some bubble wrap and placed a matchbox container inside. I chained it to a branch of the tree - it ended up getting stolen but I got some great comments while it lasted dcda6325-af9a-4390-b2ab-8fb45f3b8afa.jpg ... click on the link to see a larger photo

Edited by yellowmojo

This forum has been VERY inspiring to me. Here's my contribution, one I did that I really like, I called Sunk'n GC32YJV (this photo shows the bottom view of this cache) but the cache is mounted on a piece of chain link fence about 4' high so the bottom is not obvious upon approach - I used a piece of central vacuum tube and bought 2 end caps - I drilled holes through the bottom and glued it to the pipe. The top I sanded the inside so it slips off easily. When you lift off the top you can see a piece of #10 gauge copper wire that can be pulled out and a pill bottle that says 'geocache' but it's not possible to get the pill bottle out. You need to use the wire and stick it through a hole on the bottom to push the cache up to get it out. bc9be76d-0ea2-4ce9-a5cf-fe2887e97b95.jpg Here's a link to picture enlarged Sunk'n ... I also put a small piece of bubble wrap at the bottom of the tube to cushion the pill bottle when it's dropped back inside

One of my favorites that I did was 'Funky Monkey' GC2ZX98, an old piggy bank made from a coconut. I sealed the slot with silicone and made a swing cover for the bottom, filled the piggy bank with some bubble wrap and placed a matchbox container inside. I chained it to a branch of the tree - it ended up getting stolen but I got some great comments while it lasted dcda6325-af9a-4390-b2ab-8fb45f3b8afa.jpg ... click on the link to see a larger photo

It seems very nice and I would like to borrow the idea.

5b80aac0-c90e-4922-b5c9-0f814591531d.jpg

What material is that made out of?

Is there a gasket between the two halves?

My best guess is a material they use for decking. Trex makes them

He did say it wasn't done.

The material is recycled plastic board

And the bottom is sealed with silicon and the top has a gasket made from the inner bladder of a old rugby ball

The box will be in a large clip lock box when I deploy it

supplier link

Edited by martinbryn

Once the body filler has hardened take out and paint.

53ce4d5d-bd04-4c2a-8589-7c9afb374c5e.jpg

Paint it brown and let it dry.

8f99b3d4-4ce2-444c-8a55-7899e8b93c19.jpg

Dry brush some of the black on to high light the edges.

ad4264a1-e64a-4b05-994a-66c13140037f.jpg

Place a log in it and go hide.

33e6b4b9-2232-4129-8101-049b9d490952.jpg

Or if you want texture after a wet first coat of brown while still wet squash cotton balls into it and let dry. after dry pick off most of the cotton leaving a moldy white fuzz.

Once the body filler has hardened take out and paint.

Paint it brown and let it dry.

Dry brush some of the black on to high light the edges.

ad4264a1-e64a-4b05-994a-66c13140037f.jpg

Place a log in it and go hide.

Or if you want texture after a wet first coat of brown while still wet squash cotton balls into it and let dry. after dry pick off most of the cotton leaving a moldy white fuzz.

You forgot to embed the corn kernals!

Another little cache container idea... not an original, seen it in here somewhere

6605922931_bdfd935317.jpg

6605923339_e6f06e6cd0.jpg

6605924125_e28b0077c7.jpg

One of my brothers used to roof as a summer job and his boots would get covered by tar. He used to end the year by taking his boot and letting it get totally tar covered, then using it as a planter for roses. Actually looked pretty cool.