Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

This is a bit of a spoiler for PNW cachers...

[photos snipped]

I have a similar container for one of my caches but it looks much more realistic, and the spot in which it's hidden looks very much like a place you might expect a rabbit hutch to be. It was originally hidden on Easter a couple of years ago and I used a golden plastic egg as an inner container. The cache is located behind a business (with explicit permission) with a name (also the name of the cache) that follows the overall theme.

This is a new cache that I have just made from a hollow polystyrene florists ball, which I painted with a can of stone spray paint

<Pics snipped for brevity>

This is not out there yet but will be one of a group of caches that I am working on

Awesome paint job! I love stone spray, but I lack the skills to apply it effectively.

Did you use any kind of sealant to keep the polystyrene from degrading?

This is a new cache that I have just made from a hollow polystyrene florists ball, which I painted with a can of stone spray paint

This is not out there yet but will be one of a group of caches that I am working on

Awesome paint job! I love stone spray, but I lack the skills to apply it effectively.

I have just spray painted straight onto the ball. as of yet I don’t know how well it will hold up to the weather

I have just spray painted straight onto the ball. as of yet I don’t know how well it will hold up to the weather

I think what Clan Riffster was refering to, is that the propellant in spray paint attacks many types of foam.

I have just spray painted straight onto the ball. as of yet I don't know how well it will hold up to the weather

I think what Clan Riffster was refering to, is that the propellant in spray paint attacks many types of foam.

Probably used latex or acrylic paint. Solvent based paints will eat polystyrene.

I have just spray painted straight onto the ball. as of yet I don't know how well it will hold up to the weather

Probably used latex or acrylic paint. Solvent based paints will eat polystyrene.

I used a product from PlastiKote Link to home page

on the high density polystyrene ball. The paint has not dissolved the ball even though I didn’t use a primer as the web site suggested (will have to wait and see how it stands up)

My newest and best creation yet.

It has taken me many weeks to make this too.

I am hoping my fellow cachers in my area don't watch this thread and won't see it before I can get it placed.

This is in SA, Australia.

I stumbled across a large square rose garden in the middle of an industrial area with an old rotting flagpole and a covered well (from what I can gather) and it inspired me, it made me think of gardens such as these with memorial plaques in them. I found a place to make the sandstone thing for me and he surprisingly made it better than what I asked for! My Brother then made the base for me and the rest I ordered. The whole construction has cost me $65 Au.

100_7858.jpg

The Base unpadded.

100_7859.jpg

The container in the base.

100_7856.jpg

The Memorial Stone & Plaque

100_7864.jpg

The Stone, container & Base

100_7862.jpg

The finished product

I have yet to place this and the base will be buried and the stone will hopefully sit halfway in the dirt. It is simply lifted up for retrieval.

The cache has JUST been published, finally after many months of awaiting council approval for the base to be buried.

Funny thing was, the lady council worker said she was going to place this in the protection lists in the Arts & Public Sculptures section of the council to protect it! Hahahaha, She has now signed up and wants to find some with her hubby.

She did most of the work and broke my garden fork in the process, lol.

2011-11-17151454.jpg

2011-11-17151408.jpg

I recent thread inspired me. The log book in it is a proof of consept log book. I am planning to use weather proof paper.

AVTTdvOM.jpg

AVETcxsP.jpg

AVtTvyiN.jpg

AVHTOzsv.jpg

Not sure why the instructions for taking the battery cover off of this phone is inside the cover. A lot of help it is there.

Edith! Get my solar powered flashlight. I gotta find these panel removal instructions again.

Just want to bounce this off some people...I have fashioned camo for a cache that looks like a curled up (non-poisonous) snake. I am somewhat hesitant to place this. What do others think?

Do you mind your cache being shot full of holes or bashed with a large rock? :blink:

It's just funny to me that you seriously have to worry about your cache beeing SHOT! :blink:

I'd never have thought about that!

Just want to bounce this off some people...I have fashioned camo for a cache that looks like a curled up (non-poisonous) snake. I am somewhat hesitant to place this. What do others think?

Do you mind your cache being shot full of holes or bashed with a large rock? :blink:

It's just funny to me that you seriously have to worry about your cache beeing SHOT! :blink:

I'd never have thought about that!

One of my caches was used as target practice, and it was a lock n lock. <_<

I recent thread inspired me. The log book in it is a proof of consept log book. I am planning to use weather proof paper.

AVTTdvOM.jpg

AVETcxsP.jpg

AVtTvyiN.jpg

AVHTOzsv.jpg

Not sure why the instructions for taking the battery cover off of this phone is inside the cover. A lot of help it is there.

Edith! Get my solar powered flashlight. I gotta find these panel removal instructions again.

I have one similar to this...turns out opening a phone is harder than I thought...first couple people couldn't do it too easy...and someone really got physical with the phone...be ready for repairs...even with opening instructions (which I included after the first couple had issues).

I made this cache recently, people may like the container/concept

http://coord.info/GC31MV2

Would you mind this hide being replicated in Florida? Full credit would naturally be given on the cache page. If you are OK with me doing a copy cat version, could you PM me some building tips, instructions, etc? The Authorian legends really resonate with me, and I would love to do a local version of this awesome hide.

Adding some of my own:

Fence post cache. Long plastic tube fits inside the fence post. Cap goes on top. Little rock contains coordinates to this final cache (nano glued to bottom of rock)

6343102697_21f84d9356_z.jpg

Fake green pepper (styrofoam) with hole made to fit match container. Used gorrila glue to attach. Made an apple like this too, looked awesome.

6343091469_b3f56ddf1b.jpg

Did you do the geocache called the Apple for the teacher?

Here's a current container project i'm working on 378507_2698359025236_1444453189_32992675_1451118537_n.jpg

Oh how I wish I could make something like that but alas, I have no tools!!

Following a past forum thread detailing exactly how to build one of those cryptex tubes, I rushed right out and spent a gazillion dollars on tools and parts. After about a month I realized that having the right tools wasn't helping, as I gots no skillz. :lol:

I called it A - Alphabet Soup. They get to find out what it is. I'm doing a whole alphabet soup series.

I had one that was a fake apple hidden in a pine tree. Can you guess at the name I used for that cache?

PineApple?

This isn't a "container" exactly, in that there is no log, but it does contain coordinates. This is a coordinates-only stage for a multi-cache we placed this last summer. It took most people a couple tries and/ or a hint to find it. It's a great urban hide right out in the open in downtown (in our "giant metropolis" of 17,500 people).

CCC-1.jpg

Do you see it?

CCC-2.jpg

How about now?

CCC-3.jpg

Two to three characters of the coordinates for the next stage are on each surface. And yes the jeweler did ask if I was serious when I called him to ask if he could do the engraving. And I think he was even more surprised when we were so happy with the work when we picked it up.

This isn't a "container" exactly, in that there is no log, but it does contain coordinates. This is a coordinates-only stage for a multi-cache we placed this last summer. It took most people a couple tries and/ or a hint to find it. It's a great urban hide right out in the open in downtown (in our "giant metropolis" of 17,500 people).

CCC-1.jpg

Do you see it?

CCC-2.jpg

How about now?

CCC-3.jpg

Two to three characters of the coordinates for the next stage are on each surface. And yes the jeweler did ask if I was serious when I called him to ask if he could do the engraving. And I think he was even more surprised when we were so happy with the work when we picked it up.

Like that.

Plate no but your right it is fake. It's a medium strength flat magnet(not the store bought thin cheap stuff)cut the same size as the bracket. Color matched and with added dirt as the paint was drying to give it texture.

It's been up for over a year and still stumps a lot of cachers. I was and still might add silicone to the edges to hide what you just noticed.

Edited by jellis

Plate no but your right it is fake. It's a medium strength flat magnet(not the store bought thin cheap stuff)cut the same size as the bracket. Color matched and with added dirt as the paint was drying to give it texture.

It's been up for over a year and still stumps a lot of cachers. I was and still might add silicone to the edges to hide what you just noticed.

That's one of the nicer ones that I've seen, you put a lot of work into that!

The best one that I have found was a black magnet cut out exactly to fit over the arrow on a one way sign. Right out in plain view, but non cachers had no clue. Made me smile every time I passed it. Unfortunately, it's archived now. :(

I called it A - Alphabet Soup. They get to find out what it is. I'm doing a whole alphabet soup series.

I had one that was a fake apple hidden in a pine tree. Can you guess at the name I used for that cache?

Me too! I hid two PineApple and now Pineapple II after Pineapple was muggled it was amazing how many people couldn't locate a red apple in a green pine tree

That's one of the nicer ones that I've seen, you put a lot of work into that!

The best one that I have found was a black magnet cut out exactly to fit over the arrow on a one way sign. Right out in plain view, but non cachers had no clue. Made me smile every time I passed it. Unfortunately, it's archived now. :(

Been thinking about that here but most of our signs are going toward aluminum so magnetics don't fit any more.

I still haven't placed the skull cache I developed last year about this time. The location I had last year was in a search area for a kid's body (still not found) so I delayed putting it out so as not to complicate an already horrible situation. This fall I couldn't put in another area as I am moving in a few months, but I hope to put the skull cache out in a new place, and with a literary theme.

[images snipped]

What's the theme? I had been working on a multi based on Edgar Allen Poe's The Gold Bug, but I never could find a suitable skull, (or tree for that matter, [you'd have to read the story to understand...]) so I scaled back a bit.