Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Paint your choice of cammo and place. Takes just a couple minutes. Total cost is just the paint. You can use soda bottles but The larger sport drink bottles are best. I bought bottle preforms and didn't like how they necked down inside. Plus they cost about 50 cents apiece.

84dbea12-9e52-4938-81af-0f9223ed04c3.jpg

Because glue rarely holds anything plastic I weld them together. Using a cheap soldering iron I melt the two lips together forming a water tight seal that I have yet to be able to break back apart. Run the iron fast enough to melt the plastic but not burn it. Do this in a well ventilated area.

03e91461-521f-43ec-8cd4-a8f8511c8138.jpg

I've made these and you're right.. glue doesn't work so well. Good idea melting them together... I'll try it next time I make one.

Because glue rarely holds anything plastic I weld them together. Using a cheap soldering iron I melt the two lips together forming a water tight seal that I have yet to be able to break back apart. Run the iron fast enough to melt the plastic but not burn it. Do this in a well ventilated area.

03e91461-521f-43ec-8cd4-a8f8511c8138.jpg

I've made these and you're right.. glue doesn't work so well. Good idea melting them together... I'll try it next time I make one.

How many times have I tried to glue stuff like this? Melting! such a simple idea. I've got to try this...

Are you kidding me!!! I have been away from really being involved with Geocaching for a few years. I have been busy have 3 children and starting my own company. I am starting to hit a few here and there. I am sure it will increase with my new iPhone 4s coming here in a few days. I came on there to see if one of my most popular topics I started was still going.

WHAT!!!! Over 1.5 MILLION VIEWS - Over 4K replies - and ready to hit 100 pages!!!

I am very surprised that this topic started in January 2004 has never been pinned. I do not know if there is a way to check.......but is this the most viewed and or replied thread in Geocaching.com history?

Just interested. Thank you to everyone who keep this thread alive and posting while I was off procreating and starting up a business.

AmishHacker

Iv'e seen a few of these posted here and decided to make one of my own. Thought I'd post my results.

Crpto1.jpgCrpto2.jpg

Just placed the cache today. 25MM Cannon shell ammo box with padlock. The key is inside the cryptex.

Crpto3.jpgCrpto4.jpg

The cryptex is inside a Rubbermaid water bottle that has a "holster" on the side of the ammo box. The "riddle" to be answered is laminated and attached and must be solved at GZ.

Iv'e seen a few of these posted here and decided to make one of my own. Thought I'd post my results.

Crpto1.jpgCrpto2.jpg

Just placed the cache today. 25MM Cannon shell ammo box with padlock. The key is inside the cryptex.

Crpto3.jpgCrpto4.jpg

The cryptex is inside a Rubbermaid water bottle that has a "holster" on the side of the ammo box. The "riddle" to be answered is laminated and attached and must be solved at GZ.

Nice looking cryptex. Did you use plans or invent it yourself? If you used plans where did you get them? How did you label the dials?

Crpto1.jpgCrpto2.jpg

Crpto3.jpgCrpto4.jpg

Nice looking cryptex. Did you use plans or invent it yourself? If you used plans where did you get them? How did you label the dials?

Yes, Please do tell. I've been thinking of making one of these myself. Love the idea of the cache key in the crypto!

Just how does one upload pics to here?

You store the pictures on photobucket, image shack or some such place. Then on your post you put

(img)url of picture(/img) and your picture shows up. Only use a "[" and "]" instead of a "(" ")", I had to use the parens to get the syntax past the forum software.

Edited by jholly

Crpto1.jpgCrpto2.jpg

Crpto3.jpgCrpto4.jpg

you can find a set of plans right here...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=242865&st=0&p=4240096&hl=cryptex&fromsearch=1entry4240096

Crpto1.jpgCrpto2.jpg

Crpto3.jpgCrpto4.jpg

you can find a set of plans right here...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=242865&st=0&p=4240096&hl=cryptex&fromsearch=1entry4240096

That is what I was thinking. How did you apply the labels on the dials?

I found the plans at the link that "Fonty Family" posted. Here it is again in case you missed it.

Cryptex plans

Save yourself a bunch of time and use these plans. I searched all over the net and found none better... Not even close.

Those plans will generate an 8 dial cryptex and that was more than I wanted so I simply re-scaled the measurements for my 5 dials. The letters were printed in strips with a high end color copier (could probably be done at Kinko's or the like) on Teslin peel & stick. Teslin is a synthetic that is water proof and very durable. I just happened to have some but it may be hard to find. Regular paper peel & stick would work but you'd have to make sure it stayed dry. After applying them, I did over coat them with clear spray for good measure but you could use some other over coating if you wanted.

Are you kidding me!!! I have been away from really being involved with Geocaching for a few years. I have been busy have 3 children and starting my own company. I am starting to hit a few here and there. I am sure it will increase with my new iPhone 4s coming here in a few days. I came on there to see if one of my most popular topics I started was still going.

WHAT!!!! Over 1.5 MILLION VIEWS - Over 4K replies - and ready to hit 100 pages!!!

I am very surprised that this topic started in January 2004 has never been pinned. I do not know if there is a way to check.......but is this the most viewed and or replied thread in Geocaching.com history?

Just interested. Thank you to everyone who keep this thread alive and posting while I was off procreating and starting up a business.

AmishHacker

Welcome back!! Yeah, if not the most widely viewed, certainly the most well-loved. It is also frequently referenced from other threads. You did very well by starting this thread... thanks!!

You store the pictures on photobucket, image shack or some such place. Then on your post you put

(img)url of picture(/img) and your picture shows up. Only use a "[" and "]" instead of a "(" ")", I had to use the parens to get the syntax past the forum software.

thanks

thanks

Actually, I prefer to store them in the gallery of an archived cache of mine. That way they are always accessable. As you look through this thread, you will find many posts where the pictures are no longer viewable because the photobucket, image shack, or whatever account has been closed. Images saved to a geocaching.com gallery will always be accessible here.

thanks

Actually, I prefer to store them in the gallery of an archived cache of mine. That way they are always accessable. As you look through this thread, you will find many posts where the pictures are no longer viewable because the photobucket, image shack, or whatever account has been closed. Images saved to a geocaching.com gallery will always be accessible here.

Agreed...for reference, simply visit page 1.

Regarding labels on the cryptex...I've recently completed one, though I have yet to put it out. I used letter/number stickers from the local craft supply store, and covered with 3-5 layers of clear spray paint. Only time will tell whether or not that will last, though I've been intentionally rough with it to test it, and so far it seems to be working...

bc9be76d-0ea2-4ce9-a5cf-fe2887e97b95.jpg

One of my caches (made from a piece of central vac tubing) - it has a bit of bubble wrap for the inside bottom, a larger 'pill bottle' for the cache container that contains a log book and small items, and a piece of #10 gauge copper wire) ... to get the cache out the finder must use the copper wire and push it through one of the holes on the bottom to bring the cache container up to the top. I called this cache (sunk'n) ... the cache is mounted about 4' high, so the holes on the bottom are not obvious. The bubble wrap is a cushion for the cache being dropped back into the container.

The top is to keep rain/snow out and has been chained to the fence (so it doesn't get lost) and sanded inside so it slips off easily

bc9be76d-0ea2-4ce9-a5cf-fe2887e97b95.jpg

One of my caches (made from a piece of central vac tubing) - it has a bit of bubble wrap for the inside bottom, a larger 'pill bottle' for the cache container that contains a log book and small items, and a piece of #10 gauge copper wire) ... to get the cache out the finder must use the copper wire and push it through one of the holes on the bottom to bring the cache container up to the top. I called this cache (sunk'n) ... the cache is mounted about 4' high, so the holes on the bottom are not obvious. The bubble wrap is a cushion for the cache being dropped back into the container.

The top is to keep rain/snow out and has been chained to the fence (so it doesn't get lost) and sanded inside so it slips off easily

Could be mistaken for a pipe bomb easily. I'd put one of those green geocache stickers on the outside.

AmishHacker

I am not an expert on what should and should not be pinned but this thread was a great help to me starting out. It really gave me a good idea of what I should be looking for out there.

This one has been up for awhile so I guess it's okay to post a pic or two.

0d5533c6-57da-4849-858e-c037814f9ccb.jpg

Can you spot the cache. Of Course you can. I have received more than a couple emails telling me my cache has been taken away by the "authorities" and a few have sent me a pic to prove it! I love this game.

3da9dd25-2475-42f5-86d3-05ffaba30c8d.jpg

I usually respond to those emails asking if they know where I could look up the specific "code violation - GC2QRBA" it refers to.

Edited by geoing nuts

0d5533c6-57da-4849-858e-c037814f9ccb.jpg

Can you spot the cache. Of Course you can. I have received more than a couple emails telling me my cache has been taken away by the "authorities" and a few have sent me a pic to prove it! I love this game.

I usually respond to those emails asking if they know where I could look up the specific "code violation - GC2QRBA" it refers to.

Awesome!

You know that I'm not the only one that's going to do something similar to this dontcha

Good luck getting it published. vinyl magnetic caches aren't valid hides[no container]

slip one past your reviewer and eventually get caught your future hides will most likely face more scrutiny by your reviewer.

Awesome!

Is that a sneaker print in the lower-right of the photo? :lol:

By the way, power69 is correct... "flat" caches that do not "contain" a log have been disallowed for several years now.

Awesome!

By the way, power69 is correct... "flat" caches that do not "contain" a log have been disallowed for several years now.

If it has a pouch on the back it is a container. I've also used them with coordinates on the back as stages of a multi.

Is it the totally unnecessary electrical feed at the base of the right post?

Yes.

I took the picture before my GPS started up. I looked right at it, never gave it a second thought... Until I came back with a GPS about an hour later and the coordinates brought me right too it.

I always thought muggles were stupid for not noticing things that were obviously out of place... But I did it myself.

Edited by Coldgears

Awesome!

If it has a pouch on the back it is a container. I've also used them with coordinates on the back as stages of a multi.

Gof and Bacall is correct. There is a log easily found if you remove the magnet and inspect. I wouldn't dream of creating a cache with no log. What would be the point?

Edited by geoing nuts

6247821377_426e9204de_z.jpg

First person to spot the container gets... Err... FTFTCITP? (First to find the container in the picture). I swear, getting the FTFTCITP is something better then it seems. It's like, a competition.

seems 6noisyhikers beet me to it! Although, I must add I almost missed it then looked again and it jumped out at me. I love Cache Owners that go the extra step to paint the cache to camouflage it perfectly.

Awesome!

Gof and Bacall is correct. There is a log easily found if you remove the magnet and inspect. I would dream of creating a cache with no log. What would be the point?

Some of the earlier ones let you sign the back.

Here is one I created that I hadn't seen before, based on the good old hose clamp. In this version, it magnetic and attaches to a pre-existing hose clamp. My other version is a complete faux hose clamp. You have to dis-assemble an existing clamp, then retro fit it around a nano. Cuts the ends off and JB weld them to the ends of the nano. Be sure to scuff the black off the nano for a better look.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Paint your choice of cammo and place. Takes just a couple minutes. Total cost is just the paint. You can use soda bottles but The larger sport drink bottles are best. I bought bottle preforms and didn't like how they necked down inside. Plus they cost about 50 cents apiece.

84dbea12-9e52-4938-81af-0f9223ed04c3.jpg

Those are amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Here is one I created that I hadn't seen before, based on the good old hose clamp. In this version, it magnetic and attaches to a pre-existing hose clamp. My other version is a complete faux hose clamp. You have to dis-assemble an existing clamp, then retro fit it around a nano. Cuts the ends off and JB weld them to the ends of the nano. Be sure to scuff the black off the nano for a better look.

photo-1.jpg

Top notch, thanks for sharing!

Top notch, thanks for sharing!

Agreed! That is both awesome and evil! Awesomely evil.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Truly evil! Now all I have to do is find the right spot to put my own.