Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

After reading this thread for nearly a week now, I just had to post mine. Its not nearly as creative as some of the others but I'm new to this, and this was my first cache.

cache1.jpg

cache2.jpg

cache3.jpg

Its made out of a drill bit container which I connected to a fence post using aluminum chain-link twisty metal. There is a black cable on the underside which runs down in to the dirt but connects to nothing. The label on the top is a DEMARC label with the Lat/Long.

thumb-__jpg-mfgl6hqecjf3b32f2pgx.jpg

thumb-__jpg-je1v9ral4jgzryfe40.jpg

This is a Cache-Machine. It was built by some guys in Germany for a 60th-Birthday-Cache.

The long tube is filled with 60 (!) small Cache-Containers (already including a log book), so that each finder can place another cache somewhere.

60 new caches to find.

When you pull the lever on the left, a cache falls down in some sort of chamber in the lower part of the machine.

When you push the lever in again, the new container falls out.

Probably didn't exactly work the way I described it, but at least almost. <_<

I think this is a really great idea!

Interesting idea, now all they have to do is figure out how to use this idea for real caches instead of "micro" hides.

Being new to this I don't know if this has been done a hundred times before, but here is one we thought was cool. We didn't want to touch it at first, didn't realize it was the cache:

2b12e29c.jpg

I told the kids to stay away from it, lol! It's probably a good muggle-deterant. If someone were to spy us crawling into the bushes and followed in after we'd gone, I doubt they'd be examining the cache box.

lol I like it, read the first 3 letters down kinda like a crossword puzzle (GEO)

My first cache hide...a LPC. The hotwheel is the same color as the actual chevy on the cache page background. I wanted to place it on a minaiture parking lot with lamp post, but got inpatient and placed it. Not alot of thought went into it, just wanted something the locals could find that wasnt a film container. magnets gorillia glued to bottom to secure it to base of lamp post, drilled a hole through back windshield, glued container in place with gorilla glue.

Firstgeocache.jpg

Edited by TheLoneGrangers

Please don't just post a link here, much less a Facebook link! Post the images, like everybody else here has been, OK? I got rid of my FB account months ago so I can't see your link without signing up again.

Just like a LPC - you can simply "ignore" it dogman!

Please don't just post a link here, much less a Facebook link! Post the images, like everybody else here has been, OK? I got rid of my FB account months ago so I can't see your link without signing up again.

Except that the whole point of this thread is to post pictures of cool cache containers, not links to photos of cool cache containers.

Except that the whole point of this thread is to post pictures of cool cache containers, not links to photos of cool cache containers.

And had it been ignored KD8ATF still wouldn't have the info on how to post a picture here. I think it worked out well.

And had it been ignored KD8ATF still wouldn't have the info on how to post a picture here. I think it worked out well.

ya ya ya I know - I waz just razing the dogman!

I have yet to find an unrusted Altoids tin, painted or not.

They do make rust resistant primers.

Yeah, you could paint a crappy container like an Altoids tin with a paint/primer specially designed to resist oxidation. But the first time it's opened, and the horribly inferior, (and not even remotely waterproof), hinge grinds itself from the closed to the open position, your protectant surface is nullified. Results like that are to be expected when you start off with such a crappy container and try desperately to turn it into something that doesn't suck, rather than starting your cache creation process with a quality container. Naturally, the type of cacher willing to go to that much trouble, researching containers and buying one that has proven, over time, to have a high survivability rate in almost every environment, just so those folks who seek his cache won't have to deal with an icky container probably wouldn't even consider using something as crappy as an Altoids tin anyway, realizing as most clever folks do that they totally blow as a cache container.

I recently found an Altoids can cache in Alaska. It was right next to the water. Right............. Sea water and metal. The hinges were gone and the interior was rusted. I just don't understand why anybody would use an Altoids can at all but especially right next to sea water. There is obviously a lot of fog in the area as well. I had planned to leave one of my Thrak buttons in the cache but, for obvious reasons, I passed on doing that.

Is there any safe golf ball to drill in to? Or are they all meant to kill us? It is weird that golf ball would explode. Why would it explode. Is it just to keep people like us from having fun? ;)

Golf balls explode? Oooopsss I wish I had known that as a kid when I used to open them up the hundred to unwind the rubber bands... (Hey it was a small town okay? Got a problem with that????? ;) )

Maybe that's why I can never find mine after I hit it... it explodes. I'm going to use that next time I play if you don't mind.

Is there any safe golf ball to drill in to? Or are they all meant to kill us? It is weird that golf ball would explode. Why would it explode. Is it just to keep people like us from having fun? ;)

Golf balls explode? Oooopsss I wish I had known that as a kid when I used to open them up the hundred to unwind the rubber bands... (Hey it was a small town okay? Got a problem with that????? ;) )

Maybe that's why I can never find mine after I hit it... it explodes. I'm going to use that next time I play if you don't mind.

Wow! You've got such a majestic powerhouse of a golf swing, that poor ball disintegrates in fear! :laughing:

Some golf balls are a mass of elastic bands with a thin outer covering. Break it, and you may be left with a broken shapeless shell, and a pile of elastic core. It's great if you can instead find a toy or container that looks like a golf ball (or make a cast of it). Otherwise, you have to find just the right golf ball to modify.

Edited by kunarion

If you know this cache, please keep quiet. I am posting these pictures with the blessing of the cache owner, who took the photos. I must also add that the cache owner was very humble about this, hesitating to send me the pictures after taking them (at my request) because they felt the cache was too simple.

Imagine lifting a lamp skirt to find something like this!! I haven't found this cache, myself, but I have been told that there is an ammo can there somewhere. Seriously.

e2d5bf09-f99f-4231-966d-946c89527f15.jpg

89ed17fe-1d25-465a-8963-d02050dd4c82.jpg

1f75351a-791c-4abc-b6b1-813fafb0b50c.jpg

This cache was mentioned on the Podcacher podcast this past week. I'd love to find something like this when picking up a lampskirt!

Over the last year it seems every Twice the Ice ice machine has had a cache put on them. I do not even need a GPS, I can just drive by and go oh I bet one is there and jump out for a cache. So I decided to mock the placement by having a friend paint an ammo can just like the machine. Here's the reult:

2011-09-26%25252015.18.29.jpg

2011-09-26%25252015.18.47.jpg

2011-09-26%25252015.19.39.jpg

Edited by IkeHurley13

Here is my first cache that I have placed

Before the cache police start having a field day, this cache is in my front yard in a false grid that holds the 12ft Christmas tree that stands here through December.

The grid has been there for eight years before I placed the cache in it and I also informed the reviewer of what and where the hide was.

Hop this alleviates any problems you may have with this location, pointy objects being used ETC

th_P1010683.jpg

th_P1010684.jpg

th_P1010685.jpg

Edited by martinbryn

I don't see it but based on the name is it on the water spout?

I believe it's the second one that doesn't go all the way to the ground.

Well spotted

Here’s a close up

316914_2019969622045_1328059975_31779947_2102077431_n.jpg

314567_2019975342188_1328059975_31779954_663889284_n.jpg

The black disk is part of a spindle that runs through the spout which is turned by a wing nut on the back of the spout. As the wing nut is turned it lowers the cache from the spout

Edited by martinbryn

Before the cache police start having a field day, this cache is in my front yard in a false grid that holds the 12ft Christmas tree that stands here through December.

The grid has been there for eight years before I placed the cache in it and I also informed the reviewer of what and where the hide was.

Hop this alleviates any problems you may have with this location, pointy objects being used ETC

Nothing wrong with that!

You could bury a school bus on your property and call it a cache, perfectly acceptable.

My question is what happens when the christmas tree is installed?

Nothing wrong with that!

You could bury a school bus on your property and call it a cache, perfectly acceptable.

Well, doh! The rating goes up accordingly.

Nothing wrong with that!

The cache will be rapt as a Christmas present and placed at the base of the tree with all the other decorations

christmas-tree1.jpg

The cache will be rapt as a Christmas present and placed at the base of the tree with all the other decorations

So you don't have over-zealous cachers unwrapping every package, you need to add a tag:

To: Geocachers

That won't be a problem after the FTF, in a rush to go look for the next FTF opportunity, doesn't re-wrap the package so all subsequent seekers will discover a plain cardboard box under the tree.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Well I have read all 98 pages and I must say the creative juices are flowing. I have plans to copy a few of these and maybe create a unique cache or two of my own. will be posting pics as soon and the locals have had ample opportunity to locate and log! Keep up the great work everyone!!!

Edited by geoing nuts