Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I once read a post where someone said there was no container that could be made from PVC pipes and fittings that couldn't be mistaken for a bomb. That's been some time ago, but I remembered it and chuckled a bit when I finished building this......

*****SPOILER ALERT****** Kansas City area cachers should navigate away now.

This is my vintage fire hydrant geocache. Hid this in a park called Firehouse Park behind a fire station and FTF got a gift card to Firehouse Subs. Now I ask, does this look like a bomb?

Image08162011142159.jpg

Made almost entirely from PVC pipe and fittings. Used specialty paint for plastics.

Top comes off to reveal cache.

Built in coin vault so geocoins don't get lost in the main cache. The back of the coin vault is sealed from the main cache area. Side caps are welded in place and not removable.

Wow! VERY nice. You have a lot of time and money invested in that thing, but I'm sure the logs that you get make it more than worthwhile.

I once read a post where someone said there was no container that could be made from PVC pipes and fittings that couldn't be mistaken for a bomb. That's been some time ago, but I remembered it and chuckled a bit when I finished building this......

*****SPOILER ALERT****** Kansas City area cachers should navigate away now.

This is my vintage fire hydrant geocache. Hid this in a park called Firehouse Park behind a fire station and FTF got a gift card to Firehouse Subs. Now I ask, does this look like a bomb?

Image08162011142159.jpg

Made almost entirely from PVC pipe and fittings. Used specialty paint for plastics.

Top comes off to reveal cache.

Built in coin vault so geocoins don't get lost in the main cache. The back of the coin vault is sealed from the main cache area. Side caps are welded in place and not removable.

Wow! VERY nice. You have a lot of time and money invested in that thing, but I'm sure the logs that you get make it more than worthwhile.

It figures that the dog would like it.

If you know this cache, please keep quiet. I am posting these pictures with the blessing of the cache owner, who took the photos. I must also add that the cache owner was very humble about this, hesitating to send me the pictures after taking them (at my request) because they felt the cache was too simple.

Imagine lifting a lamp skirt to find something like this!! I haven't found this cache, myself, but I have been told that there is an ammo can there somewhere. Seriously.

e2d5bf09-f99f-4231-966d-946c89527f15.jpg

89ed17fe-1d25-465a-8963-d02050dd4c82.jpg

1f75351a-791c-4abc-b6b1-813fafb0b50c.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos! I LOVE this!

Nice....where'd s/he put the logbook?

In the ammo can. Can you spot it?

Seriously? I can't spot it and I'm assuming it would be one of those miniature ammo cans.

If you know this cache, please keep quiet. I am posting these pictures with the blessing of the cache owner, who took the photos. I must also add that the cache owner was very humble about this, hesitating to send me the pictures after taking them (at my request) because they felt the cache was too simple.

Imagine lifting a lamp skirt to find something like this!! I haven't found this cache, myself, but I have been told that there is an ammo can there somewhere. Seriously.

Seriously? I can't spot it and I'm assuming it would be one of those miniature ammo cans.

I think its to the right of the birch, partially covered by the spruce.

I think its to the right of the birch, partially covered by the spruce.

At first I was looking for a mini ammo can too and was eyeballing that same spot. I think that's just a glob of hot glue. I believe there is a full size ammo can in those pics, you just have to think outside the box, or on top of the box as the case may be here.

I think it's behind the boulder by the bear.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

But... last log states this whole thing may have been removed by construction workers, so moot point.

Edited to add: no hot glue sticks lost their life in the construction of this cache. What resembles glue blobs is just... well... other stuff.

Edited by jicknarson

I think it's behind the boulder by the bear.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

But... last log states this whole thing may have been removed by construction workers, so moot point.

Edited to add: no hot glue sticks lost their life in the construction of this cache. What resembles glue blobs is just... well... other stuff.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

So the bases aren't a cut up ammo can then?

No ammo cans lost their lives in construction of this cache!

That would be a total abuse of my ideal cache container!

:o

Is this your creation? If so, kudos. I've seen some amazing products of peoples imagination while geocaching, but this is off the scale. I can't imagine lifting a lamp skirt in the city and finding this amazing little micro-forest.

Okay. I've been dying to know... Did you rip-off the ones that were in the Latitude 47 blog?

That's kind of insulting, Coldgears. I didn't "rip off" anything. I'm sure you read Knowschad's response in the LPC thread. I had not seen that series until you posted it. As I said, all ideas came from my imagination. The intent of the series that this cache is part of was to create a LPC that was interesting, unusual and different, and that is what I tried to do.

Thanks to all who had positive comments.

Okay. I've been dying to know... Did you rip-off the ones that were in the Latitude 47 blog?

That's kind of insulting, Coldgears. I didn't "rip off" anything. I'm sure you read Knowschad's response in the LPC thread. I had not seen that series until you posted it. As I said, all ideas came from my imagination. The intent of the series that this cache is part of was to create a LPC that was interesting, unusual and different, and that is what I tried to do.

Thanks to all who had positive comments.

My apologies, I had pulled an all-nighter and had been awake for 30 hours at the time of that post. I could not think clearly.

I meant to ask if that was your inspiration, not if it was a rip-off.

Sweet! Was the lip balm container already in the form of a golf ball, or was that part of your lathe work?

No lathe work done to the golf ball. It was a lip balm from big 5 I think. I got it as a stocking stuffer, from my mother-in-law two years ago. I hate lip balm, but figured if it stayed moist, it should keep the water at bay. The top had a key ring on a chain through a hole in the golf ball. I removed it. Did the lathe work on the tee. Made a washer and attached. I'm going to use some epoxy to glue everything together, as well as waterproof it. Then locktite the screw in place permanently.

Sweet! Was the lip balm container already in the form of a golf ball, or was that part of your lathe work?

No lathe work done to the golf ball. It was a lip balm from big 5 I think. I got it as a stocking stuffer, from my mother-in-law two years ago. I hate lip balm, but figured if it stayed moist, it should keep the water at bay. The top had a key ring on a chain through a hole in the golf ball. I removed it. Did the lathe work on the tee. Made a washer and attached. I'm going to use some epoxy to glue everything together, as well as waterproof it. Then locktite the screw in place permanently.

I can almost guarantee you that it won't stay dry. If you can get an o-ring on it somehow, I'd sure recommend that.

I can almost guarantee you that it won't stay dry. If you can get an o-ring on it somehow, I'd sure recommend that.

I think it could stay dry if people were very careful to re-tighten the container. Unfortunately as a cache builder I have to plan for the worst case scenarios. A small bison will fit inside perfectly. Was already planning on doing that when I placed it. Plus, here in SoCal, It stays pretty dry, but stuff still gets wet.

I like the railroad tie idea... I might borrow that! Here's a few of mine, I don't know if they're considered cool, evil, whatever--You be the judge:

IMG_17802.jpg

IMG_17792.jpg

Same cache in the wild:

IMG_18412.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Here's a tribute cache for a local cacher making it to the comma club (the log is in a cork we hollowed out)

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

Here's one at a local beer brewery that I did-- It fools muggles, but not cachers... (No, the box is not `live')

DSCN0316-1.jpg

A small `creepy' bison:

DSCN0489.jpg

More in a minute!

There is so much unbelievable creativity here. Keep them coming!!! We have a few creative containers around here but certainly not enough. I wish more people around here would put out stuff like this. Well….I guess I will have to take the bull by the horns and do some myself. Hope nobody cares if I borrow some of these ideas.

Made this one from an idea i stole in here i think.. or was it on Youtube..? :blink:

jgfc1.jpg

Its a aluminiumpipe that i welded a bottom to and drilled 5 holes in, then i powdercoated it and put it up on a old pumphouse out in the woods.. Its close to a lake, and i,ve put a 1,5 liter bottle close by under some rubbel.

The container is placed in the pipe and you need to put 5 fingers over the hole in the bottom and fill the pipe to get the container to float up so you can grab it..

The container is made from some plastic pipefittings i glued together with some Sikaflex.

jgfc8.jpg

the out of use pumphouse..

jgfc2.jpg

Edited by Vestlandsfanden

Made this one from an idea i stole in here i think.. or was it on Youtube..? :blink:

jgfc1.jpg

Its a aluminiumpipe that i welded a bottom to and drilled 5 holes in, then i powdercoated it and put it up on a old pumphouse out in the woods.. Its close to a lake, and i,ve put a 1,5 liter bottle close by under some rubbel.

The container is placed in the pipe and you need to put 5 fingers over the hole in the bottom and fill the pipe to get the container to float up so you can grab it..

The container is made from some plastic pipefittings i glued together with some Sikaflex.

jgfc8.jpg

the out of use pumphouse..

jgfc2.jpg

I have a waterfiller cache but its nowhere near as nice as that one!

My newest and best creation yet.

It has taken me many weeks to make this too.

I am hoping my fellow cachers in my area don't watch this thread and won't see it before I can get it placed.

This is in SA, Australia.

I stumbled across a large square rose garden in the middle of an industrial area with an old rotting flagpole and a covered well (from what I can gather) and it inspired me, it made me think of gardens such as these with memorial plaques in them. I found a place to make the sandstone thing for me and he surprisingly made it better than what I asked for! My Brother then made the base for me and the rest I ordered. The whole construction has cost me $65 Au.

100_7858.jpg

The Base unpadded.

100_7859.jpg

The container in the base.

100_7856.jpg

The Memorial Stone & Plaque

100_7864.jpg

The Stone, container & Base

100_7862.jpg

The finished product

I have yet to place this and the base will be buried and the stone will hopefully sit halfway in the dirt. It is simply lifted up for retrieval.

I am hoping my fellow cachers in my area don't watch this thread and won't see it before I can get it placed.

I stumbled across a large square rose garden in the middle of an industrial area with an old rotting flagpole and a covered well (from what I can gather) and it inspired me, it made me think of gardens such as these with memorial plaques in them. I found a place to make the sandstone thing for me and he surprisingly made it better than what I asked for! My Brother then made the base for me and the rest I ordered. The whole construction has cost me $65 Au.

The Base unpadded.

100_7862.jpg

The finished product

I have yet to place this and the base will be buried and the stone will hopefully sit halfway in the dirt. It is simply lifted up for retrieval.

Wow! I have never seen a cache that was anything like that! I think, however, that you need to rethink the "the base will be buried" part unless its on your own land.

How much did it cost to get the engraved plaque?

Wow! I have never seen a cache that was anything like that! I think, however, that you need to rethink the "the base will be buried" part unless its on your own land.

How much did it cost to get the engraved plaque?

I agree 100% AWESEOME idea. I thought how would anyone know to pick it up, but the plaque is a good clue.

You may already have thought of this and done it. But if you want to bury the base then you need to find the owners of the garden and get their full explicit permission to dig (you probably should get permission anyways so when they come to do pruning they don't find your stone and dispose of it).

100_7858.jpg

The Base unpadded.

100_7859.jpg

100_7856.jpg

100_7864.jpg

100_7862.jpg

The finished product

I absoltuely love this. Over the years I've created a couple of similar but different cache containers.

- An engraved tombstone cache made of concrete. Tough to get in and out of the woods.

- I built a 6' obelisk out of extruded polystyrene on a base made of plywood. A very fun cache that got great logs.

Unfortunately, neither cache is in play anymore.

The purpose of the padding it so the sandstone doesn't get smashed when people drop it back in place as that is bound to happen. Not everyone will have the smarts to figure out that dropping it back into place will likely damage the less dense sandstone against the concrete.

I have no idea how I am going to get permission to bury it, I may just move it to under the nearby pine trees where it is less obvious.

Thank you for all the compliments

I found the plaque on ebay, customizable and it only cost $12

Done by these guys - http://myworld.ebay.com.au/glassdisplaycases.com/?_trksid=p4340.l2559