Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I am relatively new to Geocaching but I have been planning my 1st cache since I started. I knew what I wanted to make but wasn't sure how to pull it off. Today I completed the cache and will be testing it for the next week to see how watertight it really is. Since these posts are all about pics I will let the pics do the talking:

Cache complete

fish3.jpg

Well done, but how do you plan to hide it? Will it be in the water at a fishing hole?

Well done, but how do you plan to hide it? Will it be in the water at a fishing hole?

It's going to be hidden in one of the local streams. It will require wading. I had an idea where I was going to hide it originally but after scouting the location again yesterday I need to rethink the hide location.

I am relatively new to Geocaching but I have been planning my 1st cache since I started. I knew what I wanted to make but wasn't sure how to pull it off. Today I completed the cache and will be testing it for the next week to see how watertight it really is. Since these posts are all about pics I will let the pics do the talking:

The supplies (60lb Steelon Nylon Coated Line & Hose clamp not shown but used)

fish2.jpg

Hey, I used that exact fish in one of my caches!! My cache was very similar to yours in that I used a PVC pipe capped on one end and then used a rubber plug with wing nut (I forget what it is called but I found it in the plumbing section) to allow it to be opened but remain water tight. What I did was take out the stuffing, placed the pipe inside his mouth (had to cut a hole in the mouth) and then used a metal bicycle chain as the "Fishing line" zip tied through the mouth of the fish and then attached to a tree to prevent the container from floating away in the current of the stream. Keep in mind that the PVC pipe will be buoyant causing your fish to float to the surface. I had to place some heavy chain (left over from the line) in the tail and then cut a slit in the tail of the fish to allow the air bubbles to escape allowing the fish to sink. I did some testing in a 5 gallon bucket before getting it just right. I had pretty good success with it although it eventually broke away from the chain. I need to make repairs to get it back up and running. Let me know how it goes!!

Edit: Very nicely done! I might try using your technique for mounting the pipe for my next incarnation of this cache! Keep in mind that the screw off portion will probably not be waterproof and will eventually leak water. If an O-ring of some sort can be installed that might help things.

Edited by slukster

Here's a cache I enjoyed making. There's an 8x8”, eight foot tall post in a park. The post has a 1” diameter hole through it. I didn't want to do any drilling, just make a container to fit that hole, yet have it removable leaving no trace, if it had to be archived. And it had to look so uninteresting, nomuggle would bother it (including using it as a foothold when climbing the post). That was a challenge, since there are lots of kids all over the place here, on weekends.

It's a bison tube, with a plastic cap glued to it. The cap's covered in urethane epoxy and rust-look paint. It has a rusty plastic “screw thread” sticking out. The container's not secured into the hole in any way. There's a similar cap on the other side of the hole, which is press-fit. As far as I can tell, only cachers ever noticed it, which amazed me. I expected it to be swiped immediately.

It lasted more than a year, with 59 finds. Then the park people tied a garbage can to it. It's a great place to secure a garbage can, but not so great as a cache site anymore. So now it's archived. It was also a little hard to check on it, due to all the non-cachers. But it was pretty much maintenance-free.

postP7311428.jpg

The container's the rusty metal "cap" in the post. There was no garbage can at the time, it was all by itself.

pulledP7311430.jpg

It was easy to remove & replace the container. No tools needed.

openP7311432.jpg

The log sheet is Teslin waterproof paper, rolled up into the lid of the bison tube.

rustP7311434.jpg

A close-up of the rusty cap. It's plastic, and glued to the bison tube.

Edited by kunarion

Great thread, have read through the whole lot and has taken me 3 days on and off.. Some magical ideals for caches and tip my hat to all of them. Im looking forward to making a few and adding my own twist to them.

Some of those small ones are evil, and I would be pulling my hair out trying to find some of these. Think Im going to mix up some evil ones, with some funny & crazy ones.

Top work all...

Here's a cache I enjoyed making. There's an 8x8”, eight foot tall post in a park. The post has a 1” diameter hole through it. I didn't want to do any drilling, just make a container to fit that hole, yet have it removable leaving no trace, if it had to be archived. And it had to look so uninteresting, nomuggle would bother it (including using it as a foothold when climbing the post). That was a challenge, since there are lots of kids all over the place here, on weekends.

It's a bison tube, with a plastic cap glued to it. The cap's covered in urethane epoxy and rust-look paint. It has a rusty plastic “screw thread” sticking out. The container's not secured into the hole in any way. There's a similar cap on the other side of the hole, which is press-fit. As far as I can tell, only cachers ever noticed it, which amazed me. I expected it to be swiped immediately.

It lasted more than a year, with 59 finds. Then the park people tied a garbage can to it. It's a great place to secure a garbage can, but not so great as a cache site anymore. So now it's archived. It was also a little hard to check on it, due to all the non-cachers. But it was pretty much maintenance-free.

postP7311428.jpg

The container's the rusty metal "cap" in the post. There was no garbage can at the time, it was all by itself.

pulledP7311430.jpg

It was easy to remove & replace the container. No tools needed.

openP7311432.jpg

The log sheet is Teslin waterproof paper, rolled up into the lid of the bison tube.

rustP7311434.jpg

A close-up of the rusty cap. It's plastic, and glued to the bison tube.

These guys are pretty common in my area, but they do prove creative and hard to find even when you have found a lot of these. I applaud you on your work.

My birdhouse cache. A little gnawed on by the local wildlife but still in good shape. What makes it a bit unique is that inside is an owl that is motion activated and greets you with a few "hoots".

6037187052_1fd4be9559_z.jpg

6037187088_875e2c0717_z.jpg

Very clever! Bet it gives some a bit of a start. There's a birdhouse in my area where when you lift the lid, a "critter" pops out. One of my favorites.

Good job!

Ever wondered what to do with your old propane tanks that you use for your camp stove?

6057818032_9e4dff1328_z.jpg

6057816888_de7b3d1580_z.jpg

First, I made sure all the propane was evacuated by punching a hole in it and let is sit for a day. I cut the top off with a hack saw and cleaned up the edges with a file. I used the plastic bottom as a lid at first and it seemed to work well, but I didn't think it was waterproof. So, I headed over to the hardware store and picked up a 4" PVC plug for $3.00. Next, I'm going to sand and paint.

Please don't hide that anywhere close to civilization that looks way too much like a pipe bomb

If everyone's panties are going to get in a bunch, then I guess it'll be re-purposed as a waterproof toilet paper container for camping.

Awesome container but it does look a bit ominous blink.gif I would just label it clearly as a "Geocache"

Here's my first attempt at a locking style geocache conatiner. It's obviously pvc and opens like a drive thru banking tube. The end caps slide in and out to lock the door. The bottom just slides out, but the top has a gravity lock and the the cache has to be rotated so the proper letter is facing up before it will slide out unlocking the door. You probably don't need to guess what the eye loop is for on top, it's going high in a tree, yet will be able to be lowered from the ground at a different tree.

IMAG0011-Copy.jpg

IMAG0013-Copy.jpg

IMAG0014-Copy.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

That is cool. I love how the log rolls up, I'm going to have to steal that idea. Is it waterproof?

I sliced the rubber tube that is used to hold screens in the frames down the center and glued the half around the seam to try and waterproof it. But if I find it leaks, I'll have to use some foam weather stripping to seal it better. If you want info on how it locks, let me know.

That is cool. I love how the log rolls up, I'm going to have to steal that idea. Is it waterproof?

I sliced the rubber tube that is used to hold screens in the frames down the center and glued the half around the seam to try and waterproof it. But if I find it leaks, I'll have to use some foam weather stripping to seal it better. If you want info on how it locks, let me know.

I would like more details on the locking bit of the design. Looking at this I was thinking about something similar with magnets cause they are good too, especially the neodymium ones.

love this topic!!

i have one cache that keeps getting misplaced so i made a replacement when the current one goes byebye again.

Coco-cache

25a7xc8.jpg

front

14wf1g9.jpg

back

ill have to rub some dirt on it to hide the tie strap.

Could you take a coconut husk half like pictured and pull back a strip from the middle on the outside, do the drilling and strapping then glue the pulled back portion before scuffinng up? This way there is no visible bits of plastic.

Please don't hide that anywhere close to civilization that looks way too much like a pipe bomb

Nonesense, my local reviewer handed to me personally a piece of PVC pipe with two other pieces of PVC pipe attached to the sides, as a geocache to be hidden.

Edited by Coldgears

Could you take a coconut husk half like pictured and pull back a strip from the middle on the outside, do the drilling and strapping then glue the pulled back portion before scuffinng up? This way there is no visible bits of plastic.

wish i had thought of that before. that would have worked great. guess ill have to find another coconut to give it a try.

Nonesense, my local reviewer handed to me personally a piece of PVC pipe with two other pieces of PVC pipe attached to the sides, as a geocache to be hidden.

I don't want to derail this thread, but let me defend my statement. I never said don't hide it. I was saying don't hide it in a public spot. That's a great container to put in the middle of the woods, or maybe on some remote island. But if you put that anywhere that people pass on a regular basis it will be found, it will be mistaken for a bomb, and it will go kablooy.

I would like more details on the locking bit of the design. Looking at this I was thinking about something similar with magnets cause they are good too, especially the neodymium ones.

The screws in the caps thread through the cap but into a slot I made with a dremel so they can slide freely. For the lock I took a test cap that is flat and inserts into the end of the pipe flush, and cut a keylike hole in it. The eye bolt on the top is 1/4" and was about 1-1/4" long. I then took a smaller eyebolt and put the 1/4" eyebolt through the eye of the second one. The smaller eyebolt is sandwiched between two flat washers and two lock nuts, but loose enough for the small eyebolt to rotate freely, that way as you rotate the cache the eyebolt always face down, and will only go through the keyhole you cut in the test cap while in one position. If this is confusing to you I could probably post a picture.

If you know this cache, please keep quiet. I am posting these pictures with the blessing of the cache owner, who took the photos. I must also add that the cache owner was very humble about this, hesitating to send me the pictures after taking them (at my request) because they felt the cache was too simple.

Imagine lifting a lamp skirt to find something like this!! I haven't found this cache, myself, but I have been told that there is an ammo can there somewhere. Seriously.

e2d5bf09-f99f-4231-966d-946c89527f15.jpg

89ed17fe-1d25-465a-8963-d02050dd4c82.jpg

1f75351a-791c-4abc-b6b1-813fafb0b50c.jpg

If you know this cache, please keep quiet. I am posting these pictures with the blessing of the cache owner, who took the photos. I must also add that the cache owner was very humble about this, hesitating to send me the pictures after taking them (at my request) because they felt the cache was too simple.

Imagine lifting a lamp skirt to find something like this!! I haven't found this cache, myself, but I have been told that there is an ammo can there somewhere. Seriously.

Thanks for posting the photos! I LOVE this!

After paint.

6070119579_5ca05bc518_z.jpg

nice

Really get every ones panties up in the air and paint a nuke sign on it. :D

(rats!! image wont stick.. :mad:)

It wasn't no atom bomb.... Turns out, some skateboarder slapped a biohazard sticker On the side of this septic tank....cops knew it wasn't a bomb right away....It's just an old crapper tank, people. Just had to quote Joe Dirt on this one :lol:

That is cool, really. Thanks 4 the pics!

Very creative... give our best to the CO.. thanks for sharing.

305929_10150357905637673_640722672_9516073_3738350_n.jpg

310401_10150357909847673_640722672_9516145_3778222_n.jpg

My first attempts at a cammo cache. It's probably been done before but i didn't fancy reading through 95 pages to check. i figured there was a lot of work required to make something that looked like a rock so why not just use a rock.

Very nice indeed. I agree, to make something that looks like a rock..start with a rock! :)

Very creative... give our best to the CO.. thanks for sharing.

I've found this cache and it's even better in person. It's shame it hasn't been found more often and that some people have to manhandle caches they don't understand which I know has been an issue.

Anyhow it's a totally cute and awesome cache to find and there is an ammo can in there.

My first attempts at a cammo cache. It's probably been done before but i didn't fancy reading through 95 pages to check. i figured there was a lot of work required to make something that looked like a rock so why not just use a rock.

Very nice indeed. I agree, to make something that looks like a rock..start with a rock! :)

I've got one like that. It's for a puzzle cache based on meteorites and hidden near an observatory.

Nice....where'd s/he put the logbook?

I once read a post where someone said there was no container that could be made from PVC pipes and fittings that couldn't be mistaken for a bomb. That's been some time ago, but I remembered it and chuckled a bit when I finished building this......

*****SPOILER ALERT****** Kansas City area cachers should navigate away now.

This is my vintage fire hydrant geocache. Hid this in a park called Firehouse Park behind a fire station and FTF got a gift card to Firehouse Subs. Now I ask, does this look like a bomb?

Image08162011142159.jpg

Made almost entirely from PVC pipe and fittings. Used specialty paint for plastics.

101_3738.jpg

Top comes off to reveal cache.

101_3737.jpg

Built in coin vault so geocoins don't get lost in the main cache. The back of the coin vault is sealed from the main cache area. Side caps are welded in place and not removable.

I once read a post where someone said there was no container that could be made from PVC pipes and fittings that couldn't be mistaken for a bomb. That's been some time ago, but I remembered it and chuckled a bit when I finished building this......

Very nice! Is the top a type of fitting, or is that something custom made for the cache?

Very nice! Is the top a type of fitting, or is that something custom made for the cache?

The top is made from a toilet flange with knock out cap (left in place) and a polycarbonate margarita glass. I cut the stem off and attached it to the flange with polyurethane adhesive. Drilled a 1/2" hole where the stem used to be and glued in brass fitting to look like the valve. Added some nuts and bolts around the rim for looks.

Nice....where'd s/he put the logbook?

In the ammo can. Can you spot it?