Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

What about plastic apples? Hang one from a tree.

I found a plastic banana in a pine tree. My kids got a kick out of it. It was the first time we found an unusual cache container.

I recently got one that was a plastic peach. http://coord.info/GC1C4DK

To continue the fruit salad theme, there's one near me that's at the edge of an apple orchard that's a fake apple in a tree (not an apple tree). I have also found one that was a fake rutabaga, though it wasn't hidden anywhere near Ithaca's annual "International Rutabaga Curling Championship".

I had one it was a resin apple with a bison tube hiding in a pine tree I called it "Pineapple"

Aarrgghhhhh!!! Nevermind my last.

200037_194953967205422_100000724595426_568229_6241743_n.jpg

Cache I made on the cheap for another Cache Owner. His original was a pickel jar that was smashed by muggles.

Picked up some rocks at the cache site and hot glued them to the lid, sprayed 3M aerosol spray adhesive on, and threw on a few handfuls of sawdust left from chainsawwing a tree in the back yard.

The original cache hint was "under some rocks". I piled more rocks around the uncamo's part of the can. hopefully this will remain unmuggled.

200686_195211233846362_100000724595426_569368_4240653_n.jpg

Edited by shadowmib

I was on this topic awhile back and there was a picture of a cache that someone said they found in Norhtern Cali. They picture was a plastic rat. I came to look for it again and I cant seem to find the thread and I want to ask the poster what cache it was...is there anyone that can help out here??? I looked many pages back and it may have been removed or erased I just cant find the comment...thanks!

Different thread

What kind of container was that? I loved that you put rocks on the lid, playing on the hint. Well done!

It's just a screw top plastic kitchen container. It's probably wouldnt stand up to being totally submerged, but it sits at the top of the bank of a bayou so water will not collect there, so I feel the contents will be fairly safe as long as people screw the lid back on. Contents inside are in a baggie for extra protection anyway.

I was on this topic awhile back and there was a picture of a cache that someone said they found in Norhtern Cali. They picture was a plastic rat. I came to look for it again and I cant seem to find the thread and I want to ask the poster what cache it was...is there anyone that can help out here??? I looked many pages back and it may have been removed or erased I just cant find the comment...thanks!

Different thread

A friend had one like that called Nacho Cheese. A big old rat with shiny red eyes that hid back inside a hollow log. It was muggled. :(

I've been planning on making my first geocache, and made the lid of the container look like this...

03172011482.jpg

It is pretty small, the whole piece is about 12" across... I am worried about the container I plan on attaching it too. If this is flush to the ground, then there is a good chance water will get in if it rains. But I figured it'd be a fun find if you were off-trail somewhere...

I am worried about the container I plan on attaching it too. If this is flush to the ground, then there is a good chance water will get in if it rains. But I figured it'd be a fun find if you were off-trail somewhere...

One of the most frustrating things about geocaching is opening a cache container to find everything wet and nasty. We have found some really cool containers out there, some better than others. Good container choice is key to having a successful cache with positive feedback. Find a good container then build off of it.

Another good idea is to place the container in your backyard just like you want to hide it and allow it to stand against the elements, especially if it is a questionable container. If it stays dry and holds up then it should do well in the wild.

Just remember this. If you spent all that time to construct a cache that you wanted to be an amazing find for someone else, wouldn't you want to build it to last the elements? Think about the cachers that will come look for the cache too. I would be disappointed if I found a cool container only to open it and find a water soaked logged. It may look good on the outside but the inside is well...... you get the idea.

We should be creative but not at the expense of poor container choice. Make your first cache special and creative, but make it to last the elements too. You will have less headaches and maintenance issues as well.

Just wanted to encourage you to rethink your container idea before it melts. I hope this is received as it was intended... to be helpful.

Oh yeah... they idea looks great for a cache. Please post a picture of the finished cache.

:)

What kind of container was that? I loved that you put rocks on the lid, playing on the hint. Well done!

It's just a screw top plastic kitchen container. It's probably wouldnt stand up to being totally submerged, but it sits at the top of the bank of a bayou so water will not collect there, so I feel the contents will be fairly safe as long as people screw the lid back on. Contents inside are in a baggie for extra protection anyway.

Very nice camo on this one! I dig your work:)

You should see when i camo myself... .but... well NO ONE sees me then. :D

shadowstealth2.jpg

Edited by shadowmib

LOL! you should camo, hide and publish yourself as a cache and when someone comes to claim the FTF you pop out and scare the living sh** out of them!!! :lol:

there is a good chance water will get in if it rains

One of the most frustrating things about geocaching is opening a cache container to find everything wet and nasty. We have found some really cool containers out there, some better than others. Good container choice is key to having a successful cache with positive feedback. Find a good container then build off of it.

Another good idea is to place the container in your backyard just like you want to hide it and allow it to stand against the elements, especially if it is a questionable container. If it stays dry and holds up then it should do well in the wild.

Just remember this. If you spent all that time to construct a cache that you wanted to be an amazing find for someone else, wouldn't you want to build it to last the elements? Think about the cachers that will come look for the cache too. I would be disappointed if I found a cool container only to open it and find a water soaked logged. It may look good on the outside but the inside is well...... you get the idea.

We should be creative but not at the expense of poor container choice. Make your first cache special and creative, but make it to last the elements too. You will have less headaches and maintenance issues as well.

Just wanted to encourage you to rethink your container idea before it melts. I hope this is received as it was intended... to be helpful.

Oh yeah... they idea looks great for a cache. Please post a picture of the finished cache.

:)

Thank you, This was reaffirming my worries. I decided not to place it after I put my container underwater.... It was not as waterproof as I hoped. I will have to hide it this summer, once I return home and have a better container. Thanks for the help, I will totally post pictures!!! :)

IMG042.jpg

This is a favorite right now.

I won't say where it is, but if you look, there is an ammo can disguised as a bird house. Brilliant.

I know that cache! The CO has a series of creative ammo can hides.

I wish we were in the area more often, I would love to find the rest.

It was funny, after we loaded this one up, my girlfriend was reading the description and looks at me and says "honey, I think you are really going to like this guy". Honestly, if the rest are this interesting, I might just come up to the area to find those.

Edited by GeoReapers

IMG042.jpg

This is a favorite right now.

I won't say where it is, but if you look, there is an ammo can disguised as a bird house. Brilliant.

I know that cache! The CO has a series of creative ammo can hides.

I wish we were in the area more often, I would love to find the rest.

It was funny, after we loaded this one up, my girlfriend was reading the description and looks at me and says "honey, I think you are really going to like this guy". Honestly, if the rest are this interesting, I might just come up to the area to find those.

I've found three, #1, #4 (this one), and #6. I liked #4 and #6, but #1 is in a dumpy location and I don't think it's worth it.

780c12b4-6149-4a29-a479-64070c63cf58.jpgd56ae990-2e44-406c-924e-6ad455cc0f3f.jpg

I've seen this type done before on a smaller scale, but mine holds a peanut butter jar.

My 'World Of Stone, Forgotten Park' cache, before it got muggled, was a clear plastic jar with a plastic screw-on cap, set into a cast piece of concrete. Very similar in design, But this looks like you did some serious drilling!

Different thread

actually no it was on this one and there were pics of it...the other thread just talked about the idea of it but not secifically about the one I wanted but thanks!

Well at the moment I'm waiting for my plastic cast of a light bulb to harden, pictures will be online tomorrow probably. Its the exact replica of a light bulb, it even looks like glass, but when you unscrew it from a socket, it contains a bison tube on the bottom.

Has anyone ever seen a light bulb cache?

One of our first finds when we started 2 years ago. Our second day caching, we are with a group of 12 people, we pull up to the cache site, a country store, about 80' long, everyone else has been here before looking on MANY occasions. My then 14 y/o son gets out of the car walk over to the building, looks at the lights on either side of the door, 1 is on the other is not, reaches up, unscrews the bulb and replaced it before anyone else saw. He proudly declared the cache found, then waited about 20 mins for everyone else to give up before grabbing it again and showing his signature. He looked at the obvious, the light was out, the bulbs didn't match.

shadowstealth2.jpg

The thought ran through my mind as to where you insert the cache container :blink:

I did one similar to this in Arkansas in December. clever. that one was not physically attached to anything, though, which made it easier to spot.

I would not have found that one if it weren't for trag_cachers, who was "mentoring" me in the way of Geocaching.

Was an awesome find.

tubeq.jpg

I was inspired by a few of the large "matchtubes" earlier in the thread.

Welding Rod Holder - $5.99 at Harbor Freight

Giant novelty pen - 6 for $6 on Amazon

Giant log scroll - Printed at work

Also thinking of making a few giant matches from dowels but haven't decided yet.

tubeq.jpg

Also thinking of making a few giant matches from dowels but haven't decided yet.

One of the many things I have thought about but never actually got around to doing. Thanks for sharing.

You could make a pen out of one of the giant matches if you went that rout.

tubeq.jpg

You could make the giant matches out of pencils (there may even be certain ink pens that could be used). But prepare for cachers to trade for them.