Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

176932_2000.JPG

176932_1800.JPG

176932_1900.JPG

A cache I put out around the end of Dec. the channel for the canister was cut in with a chainsaw.

We found one kind of like this here in our area, but was a larger log cut cross way's, It was then Hinged. They then took a chain saw to hollow out the larger end of the log to hold a 30cal ammo can in it. Was pretty kool hide. I bet we walked past it a few times before we found it,,lol

I found one like this too which was hollowed out and hinged and then fitted with a very large PVC pipe cache. I loved it. It had migrated about 40 feet (I can't imagine why but it did) so it was kind of tricky find for us.

176932_2000.JPG

176932_1800.JPG

176932_1900.JPG

A cache I put out around the end of Dec. the channel for the canister was cut in with a chainsaw.

We found one kind of like this here in our area, but was a larger log cut cross way's, It was then Hinged. They then took a chain saw to hollow out the larger end of the log to hold a 30cal ammo can in it. Was pretty kool hide. I bet we walked past it a few times before we found it,,lol

I found one like this too which was hollowed out and hinged and then fitted with a very large PVC pipe cache. I loved it. It had migrated about 40 feet (I can't imagine why but it did) so it was kind of tricky find for us.

I was impressed with this similar hide.....a 50cal ammo can in a hollowed out log.

gc27va2-50calammocan.png

Maybe someone can confirm it, but I received this one in my email inbox a few days ago: 84a65a05-0657-4d5c-889e-cf1b8e59783d.jpg Do you think it's real?

Wasn't that container submitted to this thread or the other one a few weeks ago?

There is one up in Il. from us that I believe is larger than this one in this photo. We have never went & found it yet. But was told it looks like a Giant 30Cal Ammo Can. I was also told what it was used for in the Armed Forces is that Army Cot's come in.

This is what I started with:

P1060423.jpg

I epoxied the magnets to the inside of the switch box, and I drilled a hole in the front plate so it will swing open. I epoxied a small strip of metal to the base to act as a stopper for the swinging plate.

P1060428.jpg

Cool idea but isn't there a rule that says caches cannot simulate or be placed on electrical equipment?

Can you provide a link to this rule?

If there is a rule about this type of container or other hides in & around Electrical Boxes?? Then there is a crap load on CO's in our area in a heap of trouble,,lol

There are some lovely oak trees in the park across the street that give HUGE acorns, and I've been wanting to do something with them for a while. So I went to the park with the bitty one today and picked up a likely-looking specimin. Coming soon to a park near me.....

EvilMicro001.jpgEvilMicro002.jpg

EVIL!!!

Love the idea of the clothes pin attachment. As for the medicine bottle, I've never seen one that stays dry.

Agreed. I'm thinking some similar artistry, with a quality container like a match safe or preform, and it would be great.

We been making these since we started caching. We have used all of the above, plus using 35mm film cans & some other containers we are unsure of what they used for, but are very much water proof. We alway's put logs in Small Ziploc type baggies we get at Walmart in the Jeweling making Dept. even if the container is waterproof, log goes in a baggie. :laughing:

You have been caching since '04, and you still think a fencepost cap cache is clever? You need to get out more! :anitongue:;):D

I will say, though, that one of those had four very experienced cachers fooled for quite a while last weekend, but that was only because the cap was wedged on cross-wise and couldn't be budged without a tool.

Here is one I've been working on. This is not deployed yet. For the description, I was just going to put something like, "log book is in camo film container..."

filmcache.JPG

Don't mean to be a negative nelly, but I think I would probably skip something like this. Just my opinion.

So, you really, really mean to tell me that if you had gone through whatever it took to find the cache, if you saw something like that you'd just turn and walk away?

Well my thought of walking away, is alot better than the guy who would change the location of the log, and then report it as needing maintenance. But yea honestly, I would chalk it up as a nice hike, which I like to do, and leave it as is. Something like this just wouldn't be fun to me. This isn't really even creative. And again, just my opinion. If this is your thing, thats great. hehe

I made this one this morning after one of mine recently got muggled:

geocache_111710_04.jpg

Nice cache...

Anyone want to take bets on when the cache police are going to come out and b*tch that it was... *gasp* somehow or another placed under the surface of the ground? :laughing:

When they do, just point out that it is "buried" in pine needles.

Based on the discussion in another thread, this definitely does not fit the guidelines. As much as I think this is a great hide, and have no problem with it personally, there is no way the pine needles extend a foot below the surface of the ground. As cool as it is, by the guidelines, it isn't allowed.

geocache_111710_04.jpg

Nice cache...

Anyone want to take bets on when the cache police are going to come out and b*tch that it was... *gasp* somehow or another placed under the surface of the ground? :laughing:

Based on the discussion in another thread, this definitely does not fit the guidelines. As much as I think this is a great hide, and have no problem with it personally, there is no way the pine needles extend a foot below the surface of the ground. As cool as it is, by the guidelines, it isn't allowed.

it could have been placed in an existing hole which is ok and thatch and needles moved around it.

geocache_111710_04.jpg

Nice cache...

it could have been placed in an existing hole which is ok and thatch and needles moved around it.

hot d*mn, 5 days short of a month! New record? :sad:

I've been thinking about this . . .

Could this get to a stage when the cache containers are too well disguised ? It's all very well going hunting but if you don't find anything - are you going to come back ?? I know people are always looking for the next big challenge, maybe we should put 'Heavily Disguised' in the cache details.

This might sound like I don't like the idea of disguised caches - just the opposite - I have various logs and stones in our garden which will be made into nasty cache containers when I have the time !!

This one is in Oregon it's a Utility or fuse box attached to a pole in front of the CO's house! Pretty cute & clever!

shelriktbhotel1.jpg

shelrikstbhotel.jpg

The CO has it fixed up like a little TB Resort, with palm trees, hot tub, etc!

This one is in Oregon it's a Utility or fuse box attached to a pole in front of the CO's house! Pretty cute & clever!

shelriktbhotel1.jpg

shelrikstbhotel.jpg

Nice job. I wonder how many geocachers that hadn't read the cache listing before arriving at GZ thought it was a real electrical box and tried to remove the numbers thinking it was a magnetic sheet cache.

Could this get to a stage when the cache containers are too well disguised ? It's all very well going hunting but if you don't find anything - are you going to come back ?? I know people are always looking for the next big challenge, maybe we should put 'Heavily Disguised' in the cache details.

This might sound like I don't like the idea of disguised caches - just the opposite - I have various logs and stones in our garden which will be made into nasty cache containers when I have the time !!

shelriktbhotel1.jpg

shelrikstbhotel.jpg

I found that one. Very interesting for sure.

shelriktbhotel1.jpg

shelrikstbhotel.jpg

That's a great cache. I would like to see one like this near where I live :laughing:

shelriktbhotel1.jpg

shelrikstbhotel.jpg

That's a great cache. I would like to see one like this near where I live :laughing:

nice one for the BIG BUGS

yeah, wouldn't mind seeing the bottle cap cache opened up :)

edit: well, so we can see how it's built...

Just cut below the lip at the top of the bottle. Put another cap on this end with a generous amount of appropriate adhesive. (This was my own test version. I did not post those other pics. I cut off the yellow band where the other picture left the black band between the two caps.) Glue a neodymium magnet into the end for more fun!

sdc12139.th.jpg

Ok, I just ran out to our recycle bin and pulled out a bottle and a couple of caps. Cut the neck off the bottle and put the caps on. Very easy. I understand that the adhesive will be gooped into the bottom of the cap that will be installed on the cut end. One question. What is the "appropriate adhesive"? I would prefer to avoid the trial and error stage of this project.

There are several adhesives in my shop, but most are for woodworking and won't be likely candidates.

i have tried a glue ment for plastic

and the one i am making right now im going to try some epoxy

with this type of cache, I cut two bottles right next to the lip then glue the two lips together and apply a little glue to one of the caps this ensures that only one top unscrews

Is it just me that feels nervous about a fire extinguisher being used as a geocache? Whereabouts is it that there is absolutely no chance of a fire being nearby and someone needing to use it? In a panic, somebody will grab the 'fire extinguisher' without paying attention to stickers...

and it is nowhere that it could be mistaken for the real thing.

Its just you.

geocache_111710_04.jpg

Nice cache...

Anyone want to take bets on when the cache police are going to come out and b*tch that it was... *gasp* somehow or another placed under the surface of the ground? :)

As long as the hunter doesn't have to dig for it, Yeah, It's ok for this type of hide. Plus, The Pine Needles don't extend a foot under ground level. They can be a foot or more deep on top of the ground. Geezzzz Everyone should know this. lol

Edited by ReedKyCacheFinders

geocache_111710_04.jpg

Nice cache...

Anyone want to take bets on when the cache police are going to come out and b*tch that it was... *gasp* somehow or another placed under the surface of the ground? :)

As long as the hunter doesn't have to dig for it, Yeah, It's ok for this type of hide. Plus, The Pine Needles don't extend a foot under ground level. They can be a foot or more deep on top of the ground. Geezzzz Everyone should know this. lol

This is a direct quote from the Groundspeak geocaching guidelines on placing caches:

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges).

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

<snip>

Underlines are mine.

Geezzzz everyone should know this.

(who reads the guidelines anyway, as you say you do every time you place a cache)

Edited by Sol seaker

You know those pine cone caches with a nano in them, hanging in a pine tree? :)

They usually take us forever to find!

Well, here's my version that I hope will make folks smile.

I think I'll even reveal in the cache description that it is a dreaded "pine cone" cache. :rolleyes:

pinecone.jpg

Pop can is for size reference.

I still have to paint the end of the bison tube, and tether it to the pine cone.

My plan is to have it suspended high on mono filament line that you would have to find in order to lower it.

I don't know how it will stand up, but time will tell.

This is what I started with:

P1060423.jpg

I epoxied the magnets to the inside of the switch box, and I drilled a hole in the front plate so it will swing open. I epoxied a small strip of metal to the base to act as a stopper for the swinging plate.

P1060428.jpg

Cool idea but isn't there a rule that says caches cannot simulate or be placed on electrical equipment?

Can you provide a link to this rule?

If there is a rule about this type of container or other hides in & around Electrical Boxes?? Then there is a crap load on CO's in our area in a heap of trouble,,lol

Even if there isn't a rule, these types are not necessarily a good idea. What's to stop a kid from poking around in real electrical boxes that have live wires attached to them? Me personally, I wouldn't want that possibility on my conscience.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT COOL CACHE CONTAINERS.

WHILE I RESPECT AND ABIDE BY Groundspeak POLICY, WE DON'T NEED TO HEAR IT REHASHED HERE over and over again everytime someone posts what they percieve as a cool container. So please keep your opinions about electrical hides, buried hides, this hide, and that hide, to some other thread.