Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Uhm....It has a foot on the end....that helps, right?

In on-topic news; I've created a reflector cache, but haven't placed it yet. I got a set from the hardware store, popped the red part out of the white case, and used resin to secure magnets to each half.

P1012029.jpg

P1012025.jpg

P1012024.jpg

And oh, em, gee, sorry bout them huge images!

I am doing a night cache called Injun Joe's Grave #GC2F3QT

Its a Halloween Cache and I am finding a lot of Halloween items this time of the year.

The outside of the box has a RIP

c6ef5a9c-81c8-4a37-82f5-ce739f315ac8.jpg

and inside the box behind jail bars is the severed head of poor Joe!

6e634339-8659-41d5-80dd-03f37312a700.jpg

So far it has been a popular cache.

Cheers!

Edited by KC7MEL

Uhm....It has a foot on the end....that helps, right?

In on-topic news; I've created a reflector cache, but haven't placed it yet. I got a set from the hardware store, popped the red part out of the white case, and used resin to secure magnets to each half.

P1012029.jpg

P1012025.jpg

P1012024.jpg

And oh, em, gee, sorry bout them huge images!

maybe hit the inside of the reflector with a light spray of red paint so you can't see the logsheet from the front.

if theres more than one reflector amongst them, do it to those too[ones you own, not the citys ones]

We have hid some unique cache containers, I will not post pics as they are active, but here are a few.

The final of one is an ammo can covered in peat moss and on top of that is an old trap we welded open and it has the chain and the trapper ID. When you get to gz all you see is a trap. It looks just like a trapper is trapping in the area.

Another is a coffee can inside an old barrel stove in the woods. When you open the door of the stove you are looking at a skeleton laying in ashes. In between his legs is the cache. When the door opens it activates a screeching.

How about a lunch pail hidden under a pile of logs. As soon as you touch a log the lunch pail starts shaking. When you open the lunch pail a skull is doing the shaking and screeching and it has a geogem in one eye and it lights up.

I am working on a new series for Halloween. Found some fake cut off fingers and will insert a bison tube inside the finger and hide them under a rock or board.

We have hid some unique cache containers, I will not post pics as they are active, but here are a few.

The final of one is an ammo can covered in peat moss and on top of that is an old trap we welded open and it has the chain and the trapper ID. When you get to gz all you see is a trap. It looks just like a trapper is trapping in the area.

Another is a coffee can inside an old barrel stove in the woods. When you open the door of the stove you are looking at a skeleton laying in ashes. In between his legs is the cache. When the door opens it activates a screeching.

How about a lunch pail hidden under a pile of logs. As soon as you touch a log the lunch pail starts shaking. When you open the lunch pail a skull is doing the shaking and screeching and it has a geogem in one eye and it lights up.

I am working on a new series for Halloween. Found some fake cut off fingers and will insert a bison tube inside the finger and hide them under a rock or board.

Careful with where you hide Halloween caches. I found out the hard way. Review some articles on my website at http://www.tftc.us

Foo. Forgot to take pics of the cache I just hid this week. I was too pressed for time. Quite an effort. I'll try to get some the next time I'm in the area, but it was an attempt at making an imitation surveyor's monument.

The brass disc is a brass hose end cap from the lawn and garden section of the hardware store, to which I added the GC number of the cache and a +. Placed in the center of a plastic top to a 100 cd stack cover, which provided an excellent mould.

Cut about 1.5 inches from the middle of a Therapak Medium canister (thanks again, 9key, for the recommendation on these great containers.) Placed a strip of aluminum foil around the joined ends of the halved canister, then put duct tape over it. This yields a shorter container, but still with as much room as a standard decon, perhaps a little more.

Mixed black Rit dye with ready mix (2$US for 10lb bag at hardware store) scooped into the mould, around and over the bottom of the disc, careful not to have it rise and thus be submerged in the concrete. After adding about 1 inch of concrete mix I placed the canister in the middle of the mould and filled in around it, keeping the lid clear. The canister wanted to float out so I had to keep pressure on it until the concrete began to set.

After topping off the mould I found the concrete wanted to settle around the lid, so I filled in the gap with sand. Keeping about 0.5 inch clearance. The caps to these canisters have protrusions which allow an easy grip without having to get fingers around the sides, which is very useful in a flush or recessed placement.

24 hours later the concrete was set, but not fully hardened, so I was able to take the project out of the mould and back to the hose, where I cleared the sand from the gap and conducted a little surgery with a standard blade screwdriver to improve the uniformity of the gap. Hosing off the entire project removed a little concrete here and there which was perhaps not a good mix, but improved the weathered look on the whole. I then placed it in sunlight to dry off and finish setting.

The union of the two halves of the canister, thanks to my clumsy cutting (oh for a band saw!) was less than uniform, so I wrapped plastic over my index finger and used it to apply a nice filler of silicone sealant around the interior, over the rough bits, smoothing it out. After a few hours it was ready for the field.

Alas, the targeted location, a new trail opening, was designated for management under a wildlife preserve, so no physical caches. This cache was designed to sit by the trail or a fence post and look like it had always been there, right in the open.

It's placed in another location not far away and still looks the business of a surveyors monument. Quite pleased how it all has turned out.

Foo. Forgot to take pics of the cache I just hid this week. I was too pressed for time. Quite an effort. I'll try to get some the next time I'm in the area, but it was an attempt at making an imitation surveyor's monument.

Nuts! I wish you had taken pictures. Your description, while thorough, was still hard to imagine. I found a cache like that in my 1st year of caching, and it is still one of my favorites!

Loving what DukeyDuke did, I modified it slightly to fit things I could find. I used regular hardware instead of the kid proof items. The ammo can is one I found that is slightly larger than a normal can. It is the same width and length, but the height is 11 inches tall. Construction is basically similar to DukeyDuke's design. I used 1/4" dowels for hinges. The final area of the cache is about 4x3.25x4. As for the combination to the first lock, since I'm first using this for an upcoming event, I written it on the container. For placement in the wild, it could be handled where folks have to have the cache page where the combo is given, or a multi where numbers are gained, or a mystery to force folks to figure it out that way. This will be hidden using the classic parallel stick cammo.

d43ad966-9f22-4c60-98b2-a35dbb4b801a.jpg

a28e65aa-6852-4ce5-9792-d08e92d0a0b6.jpg

ab0e89cc-c37c-4a0e-a186-f7d8a4a7af9d.jpg

959730a4-27bb-4d34-8a5b-3caf41381195.jpg

a4aa9768-67cd-4b14-8cdf-15a1e0b53c0d.jpg

Wow! I'm flattered to get a footnote in the creation of this cache. Mine is still holding up fine and it continues to produce positive feedback from finders.

SPOILERS FOR NORTHERN NJ AREA

Not so nice night cache I'm working on. :D

rsz1rszimag0368.jpg

Converted a nano to a fire tack. Will probably cause some confusion when they think they are at the end of the tacks huh?

Item is still in the testing phase but right now you cannot tell the difference between a tack and the nano in a typical night inspection.

Edited by LukeTrocity

Not so nice night cache I'm working on. :D

Converted a nano to a fire tack. Will probably cause some confusion when they think they are at the end of the tacks huh?

Item is still in the testing phase but right now you cannot tell the difference between a tack and the nano in a typical night inspection.

Not sure what I think of the idea, from a personal standpoint, but I will say that its an idea that I haven't seen yet! Good luck with it.

Not so nice night cache I'm working on. :)

Not sure what I think of the idea, from a personal standpoint, but I will say that its an idea that I haven't seen yet! Good luck with it.

I know what I think of it... pure evil :D. I love it.

Haven't placed these out yet, but don't care if PDX geocachers see them. The FTF hounds will likely beat them to the cache anyway.

PDX?

PDX is the symbol for the Portland International Airport. :)

Hmmm. That gave me an idea. A few months ago I found the virtual cache that is located in Frankfurt airport. With the recent announcement that virtuals may be coming back in some form I wonder if we'll start seeing more virts at airports. I'd have quite a collection of 3 character airport symbols if we had virts at airports for the past few years.

I like them, though I can see the one on top creating a headline like this...

FAKE SEVERED ARM SHUTS DOWN FOREST PARK, PPB DETECTIVES ON SCENE AT THIS TIME

:D

I wonder if the cops will try to taser or shoot it first..

Oh it's Portland, they'll shoot it 23 times and swear it was holding a grenade or something!! :laughing:

Haven't placed these out yet, but don't care if PDX geocachers see them. The FTF hounds will likely beat them to the cache anyway.

PDX?

PDX is the symbol for the Portland International Airport. :D

For some unknown reason people have always used 'PDX' in place of Portland. When I used to work in Portland and even now if I have someone from Portland I write PDX on my charts. You don't see people using LAX or DIA, it's just another part of 'Keep Portland Weird' I guess. :)

Also keep in mind this is a city that doesn't have departments, it has Bureaus. Portland Police Bureau, Portland Fire Bureau, etc. :laughing:

Scarab... likely just a string tied into the bottom of a film canister, and as it is pulled out, it pulls up, thus pushing the cache up...

I have looked through many pages of this thread and one problem I have is people using these next to impossible containers or covers in areas where there is no possible way unless someone turns over every single rock, tree bark, leaf, etc...

There are a few I have looked for in the middle of the woods (which covers a majority of this area) that is the same way as others mentioned here. I have had problems finding just normal cammo thermos or green containers in the thick woods here, much less a super stealthy nano/micro. The way I see it, If I cannot find it in 15-20 minutes of searching the area, I will just move on. I have a job, wife and kids and do not have time to play around search for hours just to log a visit. I am not saying that these type of containers are not ok, just saying I won't spend much time looking for them.

Add in GPS units that have problems with exact coordinates in wooded areas (mine does not) or does not have WAAS capability (mine does) and you can be a good quarter mile off making it impossible to find.

Edited by mddbkzr

I am doing a night cache called Injun Joe's Grave #GC2F3QT

Its a Halloween Cache and I am finding a lot of Halloween items this time of the year.

The outside of the box has a RIP

c6ef5a9c-81c8-4a37-82f5-ce739f315ac8.jpg

and inside the box behind jail bars is the severed head of poor Joe!

6e634339-8659-41d5-80dd-03f37312a700.jpg

So far it has been a popular cache.

Cheers!

Man I should have looked here before going to the cache machine. He put out some really clever caches in Moses Lake. Keep up the good work.

Scarab... likely just a string tied into the bottom of a film canister, and as it is pulled out, it pulls up, thus pushing the cache up...

I have looked through many pages of this thread and one problem I have is people using these next to impossible containers or covers in areas where there is no possible way unless someone turns over every single rock, tree bark, leaf, etc...

There are a few I have looked for in the middle of the woods (which covers a majority of this area) that is the same way as others mentioned here. I have had problems finding just normal cammo thermos or green containers in the thick woods here, much less a super stealthy nano/micro. The way I see it, If I cannot find it in 15-20 minutes of searching the area, I will just move on. I have a job, wife and kids and do not have time to play around search for hours just to log a visit. I am not saying that these type of containers are not ok, just saying I won't spend much time looking for them.

Add in GPS units that have problems with exact coordinates in wooded areas (mine does not) or does not have WAAS capability (mine does) and you can be a good quarter mile off making it impossible to find.

about scarabs cache... thats awesome! I'd really like to replicate this!

@mddbkzr, I cant visualize your take on it, I guess I dont see how that would bring the cache above the point where the string is, also about hard hides, thats what rating are for always take that into account, several times I've found myself looking for a cache for a while, one with a recent log, so I have it in my head that"its here somewhere" then look at the 4 star rating and realize its gonna be a good one, and for me, at least, keeps me in this game... if geocaching was just a buch of lpc's and rusted altoids tins I would have been bored with caching after a month... just my POV

I just had an idea. No picture but an idea. Take a piece of pipe around say 1.5" in diameter by 18"? Place it flush into the ground. Inside place one of those 2-liter bottle nanos. To make it easier you could put a magnet inside the giant nano. You could even make some sort of faux cover for the top. Maybe I'll do that.

I'm evil.

I just had an idea. No picture but an idea. Take a piece of pipe around say 1.5" in diameter by 18"? Place it flush into the ground. Inside place one of those 2-liter bottle nanos. To make it easier you could put a magnet inside the giant nano. You could even make some sort of faux cover for the top. Maybe I'll do that.

I'm evil.

how would you place the pipe?

I agree. Not every GPSr has the same abilities. Your coords might point right to the cache, but others' GPSr readings might be off by 20-30 feet. That gives them a search area of a 40 to 60 foot circle. And if the cache is one of these evil ones that many people are so fond of, it takes a lot of work to do a good search. I, personally, will not spend more than 10 minutes looking for a cache. The purpose of all this is to be able to FIND the caches. And if you don't leave a hint that will really help if someone gets stuck, what's the point?

Edited by Kelochka

I will not derail this thread, but I can't let that statement stand, for the sake of newbies that read that claim. 60 feet off would be pretty darned bad... enough to gripe about at the next event..., let alone a quarter mile.

As you were...

Edited by knowschad

In one my whopping fifty finds (I know, noob). I actually set my GPS on the fence post the cache was located and it said .01 feet from coordinates. I thought that was pretty cool, I guess these things are scary accurate. And yes it still took me twenty minutes to figure out where the cache was hidden in said post. :P

Sorry back on topic. I love the guard rail box cache. We have one locally that is made to look like the rest of the buildings supports, tricky find.

Here's one of mine (GC15FG8), it is in place for three years, it was more beautiful in 2007 but after three years, including three winters it still works like new.

The geocachers must bring his own 9-volt battery and place it on the screws in the top right corner, then the microcontroller activates and alternately displays the coordinates of the final cache. (Of course I jammed the last three digits of the coordinates so as not to reveal here the final position...)

I have many other ideas in mind for electronic cache but now I'm working on my own version of a reverse geocaching box...

DSC00641.JPG

DSC00649.JPG

DSC00650.JPG

I just found this one! I jumped back at first but when I noticed the nest wobble I thought twice. My camera did not take the best photos.

Haha wow! There's NO way I'd be man enough to go for that one! That's worse than the fake poo ones, cause you can at least poke those with a stick

I have been reading these and I am planing on placing some boring ammo boxes soon as my first caches. Today a 4th grader came into my PE class. He showed my this ring , and told me he found it at the car wash. I traded him a ring pop and a silly band. Now I don't know what to do with it.

Any suggestions?

http://picasaweb.google.com/coachgrinnan/Geogaching#

This is my 1st post with pictures.

I just found this one! I jumped back at first but when I noticed the nest wobble I thought twice. My camera did not take the best photos.

DeadEndGC2G7BX3.jpg

DeadEndGC2G7BX4.jpg

DeadEndGC2G7BX2.jpg

That one would have had me reaching for my sting kit. A motion activated buzzer (buzz buzz) would finish it off and me as well probably. I like creative ones like that even though i don't like bees or wasps etc.

This is what I started with:

P1060423.jpg

I epoxied the magnets to the inside of the switch box, and I drilled a hole in the front plate so it will swing open. I epoxied a small strip of metal to the base to act as a stopper for the swinging plate.

P1060428.jpg

P1060433.jpg

P1060432.jpg

At least for its first use, I placed it where it didn't perfectly blend in. You gotta give em a fighting chance. ;)

P1060434.jpg

P1060437.jpg

Cool idea but isn't there a rule that says caches cannot simulate or be placed on electrical equipment?

First off I am not connected in any way to this website, I just buy bazooka casings and nuclear weapons from them every so often.

This could be a cool cache container, according to the site these are government spec possible geocache containers.

Delrin Storage Capsule

delrinlarge7.jpg

delrinlarge5.jpg

Original Government Use Unknown. We have a limited overrun of “Waterproof Delrin® Storage Capsules”. We are not quite sure what Uncle Sam is putting in his lightweight capsules, but we are using ours to keep small important items close and secure. Brand new, never used overrun from government contract. Possible uses include: Geo-Caching, Pet Identification, Emergency Cash Stash, Water Purification Tablets, Pill Storage.

Delrin® is a lightweight, extremely stable space age polymer.

Overall Length: 51.8mm or 2”

External Diameter: 15.6mm or .6”

Internal Opening: 10.4mm or .41”

Internal Depth: 38.6mm or 1.5”

Weight 6.8 Grams

Lid is secured via flange to cap seal ( Internal o-ring )

U.S. Made

If James Bond Geocached this would be his micro!! ;)

This is what I started with:

P1060423.jpg

I epoxied the magnets to the inside of the switch box, and I drilled a hole in the front plate so it will swing open. I epoxied a small strip of metal to the base to act as a stopper for the swinging plate.

P1060428.jpg

Cool idea but isn't there a rule that says caches cannot simulate or be placed on electrical equipment?

Can you provide a link to this rule?