Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Amazing job!! Did you actually get the moss to grow on your fake rock? I know that it can be done, but I have never been successful at it.

Yes it's growing on the rock, but it is really delicate. To get it to stay on there I just left it in a mossy section of my yard for a few months, and when it was ready I went and hid it.

imgID_252_Fast_Usb_Mp3_Player___Fixed___by_Pleasent.jpg

This isn't so much a cool cache container as it is a cool cache. We put an MP3 player/recorder inside a cache with directions and asked finders to record their logs. So, it's an audio cache.

The MP3 player has a USB port so I can plug it into my laptop and grab the voice recordings off of it. I then posted them onto my website.

So far, it seems to be a hit:

See the Cache Page GC2D35C and Listen to the Audio Logs

Hopefully, no one will steal it. It is the 4th and final cache in a multi which probably helps a little.

Edited by jbruso

Here's our first attempt of constructing a camoflaged cache container. The log is about 80cms long, and is just on our front lawn at the momemt before we place it out!

It only took about 90 minutes to make!

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

When you place it, make sure you put leaves or thatch to cover the cut line to make it more interesting to find.

When you place it, make sure you put leaves or thatch to cover the cut line to make it more interesting to find.

Here is the cache in-situ. We found an area with other old logs lying around and used the overgrowth to hide the 'cut line'.

Very nice! I'll bet you get some good comments. One thing to expect with a cache like this, however, is for it to become a home for ants in a year or two. That isn't the end of the cache, but it is something to keep in mind.

Hopefully, no one will steal it. It is the 4th and final cache in a multi which probably helps a little.

I have plans to place such a cache in my area (SW France) but I'm afraid that it might get stolen, or swapped with some junk item. I'm now looking for cheap "play only" audio systems I wouldn't mind too much being stolen.

I have plans to place such a cache in my area (SW France) but I'm afraid that it might get stolen, or swapped with some junk item. I'm now looking for cheap "play only" audio systems I wouldn't mind too much being stolen.

Is there a way to leash it to the container?

Since my very first cache I have been taking pictures of all the creative and unique containers I have seen. I will search my Cache Archive and post some cool ones later.:ph34r:

I have made a similar cache but smaller. My biggest fear is someone will pick it up for FIREWOOD so we're planning on hiding it well away from an area that would warrant such a disaster. I've also painted a red skull on it which I will place face down just in case someone accidentally picks it up they'll know that it's "special" in some way.

That's an idea, or maybe use epoxy glue to stick it to the container.

That's an idea, or maybe use epoxy glue to stick it to the container.

They're really pretty cheap these days. Here's one on ebay for $5 + shipping. U can probably even find a better deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/MP3-PLAYER-256MB-256-M...=item2eaf898da4

They're really pretty cheap these days. Here's one on ebay for $5 + shipping. U can probably even find a better deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/MP3-PLAYER-256MB-256-M...=item2eaf898da4

That's quite cheap indeed, I will dig in this direction as well, I would need to tamper it to make an external battery case and ask cachers to bring their own battery when coming on site as I don't expect most people will would press the "stop" or power off button.

That's quite cheap indeed, I will dig in this direction as well, I would need to tamper it to make an external battery case and ask cachers to bring their own battery when coming on site as I don't expect most people will would press the "stop" or power off button.

Choron,

I included some directions. So far, the cacher's have been pretty good to follow them. I also included an extra battery in the cache just in case.

Here's a copy of the directions

SPOILER ALERT if your caching in South Orange County, CA!

Here are a few creative caches I have found in my journeys of cach'in :)

1278888239182.jpg

1278888240298.jpg

1278888238103.jpg

CIMG9802.jpg

CIMG9801.jpg

CIMG9765-1.jpg

CIMG9766-1.jpg

1278553980152.jpg

CIMG9781.jpg

Edited by snapshot7

Here are a few creative caches I have found in my journeys of cach'in

CIMG9786.jpg

CIMG9805.jpg

CIMG9808.jpg

CIMG0073.jpg

CIMG0015.jpg

CIMG9738.jpg

Edited by snapshot7

Choron,

I included some directions. So far, the cacher's have been pretty good to follow them. I also included an extra battery in the cache just in case.

Hi CacheExtraordinaire,

Wow that's quite neat, having geocachers record their impressions on the cache is a nice idea, you could even putting some online with a link on the cache page later on. Actually I found an old portable CD player at home so I started modifying it to have an external battery and making it look more used than it is. I would be worried about keeping a battey in the cache though as it is supposed to rust quite easily. Also can you tell me whether it is a premium only cache ? Thanks for nice info !

I've also painted a red skull on it which I will place face down just in case someone accidentally picks it up they'll know that it's "special" in some way.

Red skulls should be painted on all caches, just to make muggles wtf.

If the tag is face down, no one can see it -- my cache looks like a lot -- well it IS a wooden log with a hollowed out part -- the log splits to reveal the cache contents. I can't get the photos to post otherwise I'd have photos of it up so you can see what I'm talking about.

My cache is a perfect piece of firewood and I don't want someone out scaping for firewood to pick it up and throw it in the fire. Maybe if it had a mark on it that would make someone think twice about burning it... that was my point.

Your comment was completely unnecessary, troll. :D

Unless your the owner of these caches it is very rude to post the pictures in the forum, warning or no warning. If they were my caches I would really be torqued.

But the third one is certainly borderline illegal ... buried.

i totally agree with that

do you mean the second one (being the bottle cap) no different than sprinkler heads, i dont agree with those

I've also painted a red skull on it which I will place face down just in case someone accidentally picks it up they'll know that it's "special" in some way.

Red skulls should be painted on all caches, just to make muggles wtf.

If the tag is face down, no one can see it -- my cache looks like a lot -- well it IS a wooden log with a hollowed out part -- the log splits to reveal the cache contents. I can't get the photos to post otherwise I'd have photos of it up so you can see what I'm talking about.

My cache is a perfect piece of firewood and I don't want someone out scaping for firewood to pick it up and throw it in the fire. Maybe if it had a mark on it that would make someone think twice about burning it... that was my point.

Your comment was completely unnecessary, troll. :D

Whoah there! No need to call him (her?) a troll, it was a joke. :)

Choron,

Hi CacheExtraordinaire,

Wow that's quite neat, having geocachers record their impressions on the cache is a nice idea, you could even putting some online with a link on the cache page later on. Actually I found an old portable CD player at home so I started modifying it to have an external battery and making it look more used than it is. I would be worried about keeping a battey in the cache though as it is supposed to rust quite easily. Also can you tell me whether it is a premium only cache ? Thanks for nice info !

Hi Choron, no it's just a 4 stage multicache... not premium content... I'm not worried about losing it. It was just laying around the garage.

I posted some of the recordings cachers left. http://www.johnbruso.com/voice/ they play 1 after another on that page.

Well, I took the plans for a cryptex cache container posted here, did some modifications, and came up with one of my own. I did it all with hand tools...I dunno, it seems more satisfying to me...enjoy:

cryptex.jpg

cryptex2.jpg

Well, I am sorry to report that this cache, which was housed in a custom-sized PVC tube container, has been muggled. I sure wish it had a longer life, but it was generally liked by those who did find it.

Why is it that the caches that I spend the most time on get stolen, while simple hides that take little effort remain?

:D

(Sorry about that lovely cryptex, Arthur & Trillian.)

Here's my big not-a-nano.

I use a plastic container about three inches across. It held dye tablets for the bathtub, sold under the name Tub Tints. (Look for them in the dollar store; I think I got this one at Ocean State Job Lot.)

33d734ce-c8be-4861-baf4-44e418437d85.jpg

I use spray paint to apply two coats of black paint and then two coats of clear sealer. I attach a magnet to the bottom that I salvaged from a hard drive. The bracket is bonded to the magnet, so I take a couple of screws from my workbench Scrounge Box and drive them into the bottom of the container. (It's double-walled, so the inner wall is not pierced.)

5a4a7cf7-87ef-4d74-8ab6-b038ab6ffead.jpg

The logs are placed into a small plastic baggie incase soemone accidentally allows moisture to enter, and then I hang them off the same sort of metallic objects that would hold a typical, half-inch nano.

I have one out now and two more ready to go.

- Will

I'm now looking for cheap "play only" audio systems I wouldn't mind too much being stolen.

Radio Shack makes a nice recording/playback circuit: here that comes with a connector for a 9V battery, and stores recordings even when the battery is removed.... surprisingly this is not the case with some other cheap recorders.

Also, for any electronics in a cache:

Attach a button/switch to the inside of the cache. Position it so that when the lid is closed, the button/switch is pressed. You can use this switch to cut the battery power to the electronics. This is tremendous for saving battery, and nearly foolproof.

Unless your the owner of these caches it is very rude to post the pictures in the forum, warning or no warning. If they were my caches I would really be torqued.

But the third one is certainly borderline illegal ... buried.

i totally agree with that

do you mean the second one (being the bottle cap) no different than sprinkler heads, i dont agree with those

I totally disagree, the thread just says cool cache's....nothing about them being your own. I have the up most respect for caches and their owners. It's not like I'm including the GC code or anything. I will delete the pics since it offends you.

For the record I love that bottle cap cache! That one was one of my favorite finds and we found it very quickly (difficulty 4.0). I have seen very evil hides and that one is not as bad as others.

I totally disagree, the thread just says cool cache's....nothing about them being your own. I have the up most respect for caches and their owners. It's not like I'm including the GC code or anything. I will delete the pics since it offends you.

For the record I love that bottle cap cache! That one was one of my favorite finds and we found it very quickly (difficulty 4.0). I have seen very evil hides and that one is not as bad as others.

I am sure that you do have respect for COs, but the only way you really know it's okay to post a picture of a cache is if it's your own cache.

If it was me I'd be really unhappy if someone else posted a picture of my cache container without my permission.

It doesn't hurt to ask though, maybe a cache owner will be happy to let you post a pic, but don't put a picture up without asking them.

I totally disagree, the thread just says cool cache's....nothing about them being your own.

You are right. The title doesn't say anything about cache ownership. However, a kind of group consciousness has evolved over the years, regarding what is OK, and what is not, in these forums. For instance, asking for the solution to a puzzle in these forums is not violating any rules, but it is frowned upon. Cool cache containers are similar, in that an explicit, exposed view of the cache can serve to thwart the purpose behind the cool camo. On an individual basis, for my own caches, I wouldn't care, as I know the percentage of cachers who visit these forums is infinitesimally small, but it is still considered bad form. While not including the GC number is a good way to keep your pics from being spoilers, by reverse engineering your finds folks can sometimes figure out which pic goes with which cache. Yours is not a capitol offense though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. :)

I am sure that you do have respect for COs, but the only way you really know it's okay to post a picture of a cache is if it's your own cache.

If it was me I'd be really unhappy if someone else posted a picture of my cache container without my permission.

It doesn't hurt to ask though, maybe a cache owner will be happy to let you post a pic, but don't put a picture up without asking them.

I totally disagree, the thread just says cool cache's....nothing about them being your own.

You are right. The title doesn't say anything about cache ownership. However, a kind of group consciousness has evolved over the years, regarding what is OK, and what is not, in these forums. For instance, asking for the solution to a puzzle in these forums is not violating any rules, but it is frowned upon. Cool cache containers are similar, in that an explicit, exposed view of the cache can serve to thwart the purpose behind the cool camo. On an individual basis, for my own caches, I wouldn't care, as I know the percentage of cachers who visit these forums is infinitesimally small, but it is still considered bad form. While not including the GC number is a good way to keep your pics from being spoilers, by reverse engineering your finds folks can sometimes figure out which pic goes with which cache. Yours is not a capitol offense though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. :D

Yeah you guys are right, I made a mistake and I learned from it. The pics have been deleted and I thank you for the way you expressed your concerns rather then others. :P

Thanks!

Edited by snapshot7