Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

how did that get past the "geocache must have a container" guideline?

or is it published?

Why is there always someone out there prepared to pick apart any creative effort? If you aren't the reviewing moderator, don't worry about it. Go find another Walmart pelican case. :)

The same reason theres always someone around with a snarky comment like that.

only reason i ask is because one just like that got archived with reason "no container"

how did that get past the "geocache must have a container" guideline?

or is it published?

Why is there always someone out there prepared to pick apart any creative effort? If you aren't the reviewing moderator, don't worry about it. Go find another Walmart pelican case. :)

The same reason theres always someone around with a snarky comment like that.

only reason i ask is because one just like that got archived with reason "no container"

Back on topic...

I figured it was time to share another one...

Here is one of my favorite hides. I love making "not a micro, but hidden in plain sight" hides. This one is a 4" diameter tin camouflaged to match it's environment. I get some really nice logs and it makes me snicker a bit every time I drive past it. Oh, and the hint: "Tinial Fin" <_< check it out:

The Cache Zone:

IMG_0333.jpg

The Container:

IMG_0334.jpg

Back on topic...

Here is one of my favorite hides. I love making "not a micro, but hidden in plain sight" hides. This one is a 4" diameter tin camouflaged to match it's environment. I get some really nice logs and it makes me snicker a bit every time I drive past it. Oh, and the hint: "Tinial Fin" <_< check it out:

The Cache Zone:

IMG_0333.jpg

The Container:

IMG_0334.jpg

very nice!

looks like it belongs there.

...There are three pushbuttons on the right half of the circuit board. The finder enters a 6-digit code using these buttons. If the code is correct, the LED display shows the coordinates to the next stage... For more details:

Any chance you'd care to share your plans for that? I have a multi I've been working on and that would fit my theme perfectly!

sorry for the late reply. I don't have a schematic, but this should get you on your way: Cheap Arduino

I've covered one of my plastic containers with rabbit fur. I'm placing the cache tomorrow so hopefully it will camouflage itself good enough and -- I just thought of this --- some carnivore doesn't smell it out and rip the full to shreds!! Fur is from a jacket so it's not recently dead :(

Fur is from a jacket so it's not recently dead

Hi Bekka! Is your jacket fur real or synthetic? My concern would be less on the container being munched on by predators, and more on how well it's going to handle inclimate weather. Will it rot? Will it mildew? I've got a Tandy Leather store near me. I'm kinda liking your idea, so I may have to purchase a real and a faux fur and give them a few weeks outside just to see what happens. :(

Fur is from a jacket so it's not recently dead

Hi Bekka! Is your jacket fur real or synthetic? My concern would be less on the container being munched on by predators, and more on how well it's going to handle inclimate weather. Will it rot? Will it mildew? I've got a Tandy Leather store near me. I'm kinda liking your idea, so I may have to purchase a real and a faux fur and give them a few weeks outside just to see what happens. :(

Hi -- fur is real -- I'm sure once it gets wet the fur will harden a bit and it will eventually fall completely apart. I may try to find a spot that will be sheltered from weather.

I had a pair of boots (LOVED LOVED these boots) that were made of cow and the maker left the hair on--- jersey cow so they were "hairy" and black and white (ok am I strange or what??) --- I had them for quite a few years in my closet and pulled them out one day -- ALL of the hair had fallen out and the boots had been sequestered in the closet! It was weird and creepy and I immediately threw them away. LOL

I would try both since you're not purchasing a lot of either. I have some synthetic fur that I will try next.

I have a beaver pelt also (I used to make teddy bears) -- its HUGE and I could share some of it with you if you want to give it a try?? Send me a mailing address if you want a piece of it. The beaver (or so I'm told that's what it is) should be more water resistant than the rabbit.

it just takes away the mystery and fun sometimes

Hi AJ, you've got a good point. If it helps, consider that much less than 1% of active cachers ever make it to the forums, and of those, only a percentage will be willing to peruse all the pages of this thread. The likelihood that a cacher from one specific region will ruin the hunt for another cacher by posting a spoiler pic is very slim.

Back on topic...

Here is one of my favorite hides. I love making "not a micro, but hidden in plain sight" hides. This one is a 4" diameter tin camouflaged to match it's environment. I get some really nice logs and it makes me snicker a bit every time I drive past it. Oh, and the hint: "Tinial Fin" :) check it out:

The Cache Zone:

The Container:

IMG_0334.jpg

Sweet!! How did you make it? That is really very nice.

Sweet!! How did you make it? That is really very nice.

Thanks!

This one was completely a garage sourced container. The top part is one of those decorative wooden finials, which used to live on our fireplace mantle with a bunch of other candlesticks and stuff. The bottom tin container might have been an old microfilm can. Luckily, they matched in size exactly. A couple of thin rubber washers and a screw put them together. I think this one has a hard drive magnet in the bottom covered w/ gaffer's tape to keep it in place. Yeah, not 100% waterproof, but plenty good enough for Santa Barbara's climate

The paint job is satin black with some dark gray splatter and streaky wash, followed by some rust brown here and there. It took a few trips back to the gate to get it right, but I like the result.

And so, back to our topic...

Not your standard lock-n-lock:

028a994d-9df3-47d0-81e0-598cc67b0deb.jpg

34f844e7-1138-4a32-ab53-449fd32ebff6.jpg

19c01e36-439f-4a73-8a91-d05578341f7a.jpg

There are three pushbuttons on the right half of the circuit board. The finder enters a 6-digit code using these buttons. If the code is correct, the LED display shows the coordinates to the next stage.

There is a switch glued to the edge of the lock-n-lock, that cuts power when the box is shut. This gives the stage a very long lifetime before you need to replace the battery.

For more details:

Great Job! I've been working on something similar but can't get the bugs worked out.

Here is one I've been working on. This is not deployed yet. For the description, I was just going to put something like, "log book is in camo film container..."

filmcache.JPG

If I ever find that I am going to put the log in a different film can an the report a wet log. We'll see how you like it. :P

oh thats mean!

at least it isn't 3000 film cannisters in a 55 gal barrel that you have to find the one with the log.

Here is one I've been working on. This is not deployed yet. For the description, I was just going to put something like, "log book is in camo film container..."

filmcache.JPG

If I ever find that I am going to put the log in a different film can an the report a wet log. We'll see how you like it. :P

oh thats mean!

at least it isn't 3000 film cannisters in a 55 gal barrel that you have to find the one with the log.

Hey! Turnabout's fair play.

filmcache.JPG

I have one similar but with 136 preforms with paper in them, in a bucket with a screw off lid. You have to find 6 preforms that give you a number for the next coords.

I called it "Twist & Shout"

I'm not a big fan of these types of hides. I just don't understand the enjoyment a co gets from getting folks to spend Lord knows how long tryine to find the right container. It seems a bit sadistic. Of course I understand the fun some folks claim they have finding these even less. That just seems masochistic.

Here is a picture of our 2nd cache that we placed the other day. Cant give away to much as its only a couple days old...

skull.jpg

Fortunately that looks enough like a "fake skull" that you won't have a CSI team trying to solve a "murder" in your area. Great idea, can't wait till Halloween to put some crazy caches out there.

I'm not a big fan of these types of hides. I just don't understand the enjoyment a co gets from getting folks to spend Lord knows how long tryine to find the right container. It seems a bit sadistic. Of course I understand the fun some folks claim they have finding these even less. That just seems masochistic.

The couple of times I've had the "pleasure" of finding these types, I put the can with the log sheet in it back at the top of the larger container, making it easier for the next finder.

The couple of times I've had the "pleasure" of finding these types, I put the can with the log sheet in it back at the top of the larger container, making it easier for the next finder.

i do the opposite, making it easier is not the intention of the CO, if it was he would have put just one container out

i do the opposite, making it easier is not the intention of the CO, if it was he would have put just one container out

I just add it to my ignore list. Although I have been tempted to trade out all the excess film cans. They aren't swag? Well huh.

you probably post the final coords for mystery/puzzle and multi caches then also to help out others.

you probably post the final coords for mystery/puzzle and multi caches then also to help out others.
I've never had the "pleasure" of finding such a cache, but I would think that the container with the log would migrate to the top of the heap just through general laziness. While I'm signing the log, my caching partner is dumping the decoys back into the larger container. Then I hand the log and its container to my caching partner, and I dump decoys back into the larger container. Then my caching partner replaces the signed log in its container, dumps the container with the log in the larger container, and helps me dump the rest of the decoys back into the larger container. There's no malice or intent to subvert the challenge of the cache, but the container with the log still migrates to the top.