Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Tried posting this earlier, and I'm not seeing it, so I'm trying again. Please forgive me if this shows up twice -- or if the picture doesn't show up at all!

Here's a cache I've put out near a beautiful lagoon. You have to "fish" it out.

http://s799.photobucket.com/albums/yy274/s...th_IMG_0145.jpg

Sorry... we're still not getting it. Your link wants me to log in as you.

Sorry, clearly I don't know what I'm doing. Can someone tell me how to go about posting a picture to this forum?

One more try. If this doesn't work, I'll give up unless someone wants to offer some help!

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy274/s...ng/IMG_0145.jpg

Tried posting this earlier, and I'm not seeing it, so I'm trying again. Please forgive me if this shows up twice -- or if the picture doesn't show up at all!

Sorry, clearly I don't know what I'm doing. Can someone tell me how to go about posting a picture to this forum?

One more try. If this doesn't work, I'll give up unless someone wants to offer some help!

Try posting the pictures on Geocaching.com, I had the same problem with posting pictures from a different web page.

Try posting the pictures on Geocaching.com, I had the same problem with posting pictures from a different web page.

run the mouse over the pic in your photobucket album, and a list should pop up under the pic left click on the last one and then copy it, then paste it in your message

The problem seems to be that your photobucket account is set to private. This blocks us from seeing the image you're trying to share. If you upload it to a public account, you can share it here using this format in your text:

[img= "url of your image" ]

If you don't want to make your album public, you can email me the image and I'll host it for you. :D

Edited by twitchhugstrees

I was JUST up in Goleta visiting my parents too! Darn shame I missed this one haha, I did do a cache or two of yours tho ($$ Tracker).. Did quite a few RonFisk caches too :D I loved it up there! Such a contrast to a lot of [my opinion] lower quality hides found down here.

WOOT!!

2 days and 81 pages later I have officially read this entire thread!!!

Kudo's to all of you and your ingenious containers. I'm still a newb, but this thread has definitely got my creative juices flowing, and though I'm going to wait for a while and find quite a few more before hiding my first cache, this thread has inspired me to make sure it's a CCC worthy of adding here :grin:

I've also learned a few other things while browsing these posts.

~You all are creative, devious, evil people (and I LOVE IT!!!!)

~I'd better learn to look for caches with a "hiders" eyes, as well as a "finders"

~Develop the skin of an alligator before truly giving up my lurker status to become a regular poster :P

~There is no 12 step program for geocaching addiction

~Poke the poop with a stick, and leave no stone unturned :)

Thanks for the thread and the really cool pics

Now.... back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Edited by Lissus

i posted this in the forum were i began the original idea for this but thought it should go here as well...keep in mind it is still a work in progress...i will post completed results in a few days or after i find the right parts i need to finish the electronics...the second picture is the hard wired results of the battery indicator LED

container.jpg

containertest.jpg

The problem seems to be that your photobucket account is set to private. This blocks us from seeing the image you're trying to share. If you upload it to a public account, you can share it here using this format in your text:

[img= "url of your image" ]

If you don't want to make your album public, you can email me the image and I'll host it for you. :)

TheBeast420 has hidden caches, and some of them have been archived, which is perfect. Please post your pictures to one of your archived caches. Just add a Note log to the cache, then upload the picture. Open it to full screen, grab the URL, and use it here. That way, as long as geocaching.com is up, your picture will be available. This thread would be so much better if all early posters had done that instead of posting to various fly-by-night accounts. Edited by knowschad

I think that was real bigfoot poop we saw up there. I think a bear would have done it right in the middle of the road. They like to poop in the road for some reason.

I like the fake poop caches, especially the ones with a little corn or peanuts stuck in them. :)

While hiking to the APE cache we were making jokes about sasquatch poop (when we found some bear scat) because someone mentioned sasquatch sightings in the area during the GW weekend.

This particular poop could be labeled as such... and you do live in Astoria, so the placement would make sense. Just sayin'

The "tree huggers" are going to have a cow with this one. :o Very cool! I love it!!

DSCI0010.jpg

Took the Father-in-law along to finish some touch ups. The lead is a regular sized container.

The cache goes by the name of "No Need To BYOP"...

I don't know how to add a link to this post, so...

The "tree huggers" are going to have a cow with this one. :o Very cool! I love it!!

DSCI0010.jpg

Took the Father-in-law along to finish some touch ups. The lead is a regular sized container.

The cache goes by the name of "No Need To BYOP"...

I don't know how to add a link to this post, so...

;) Great idea! :P

Keep the cool cache containers comin'

My first cache building with concrete - this was a learning experience. This is sifted concrete with sand and some brown color added. A vacant mini ant hill... least that's what I'm saying it is. ;) Stands about 10" tall or so.

no_ants_here_1.jpg

I used a strip of foam and saran wrap to create the finger groove so the cap is easily accessible. I piled the concrete on to it a bit at a time and shaped as I went.

no_ants_here_2.jpg

no_ants_here_3.jpg

Used a few screws to make sure the concrete had a good grip on the container(saw this tip in someone else's thread). The cap is recessed about about 1/4" in from the surface of the concrete lip.

I sprayed the paper logo piece with clear coat and let it dry. Then adhered it to the cap using 3M spray adhesive and then sprayed the whole surface with a poly-u clear coat.

Not the prettiest but it will do I think. Was good practice at least. :o The color will lighten a bit over the next few days while it finishes curing.

somegeek

Edited by somegeek

Does anyone know where I can get fake Poison Ivy leaves to use as camo on a cache?

Thanks

Why not just use real PI leaves and increase the difficulty rating?

Dont know if a rash and itching would be a good first impression and a way to make friends.

lol

Yes. Go to your local arts and crafts store, and get a basket of it. Or just go to a pet store or something like that and buy some. Using real ivy would mean you would have to plant it in your or someone else's yard, and since it can be very invasive, it isn't a very good idea unless the owner, perhaps in one case being you, doesn't mind having real ivy planted in their yard if they don't already have it in their yard. The ivy has to be planted somewhere if it is real, otherwise 2 weeks later, it will be completely dead and brown.

Does anyone know where I can get fake Poison Ivy leaves to use as camo on a cache?

Thanks

Why would you want to do that? Who would even want to take a chance, unless they are immune to it? Doesn't seem like a very good idea, to me.

I understand your concern but I find using this as camo is no worse than using fake hornets nests or fake snakes. Poking a hornets nest or a snake to find out if it is a cache or not seems more dangerous than poking an ammo box with Ivy camo.

Edited by Jaynay1012

I was JUST up in Goleta visiting my parents too! Darn shame I missed this one haha, I did do a cache or two of yours tho ($$ Tracker).. Did quite a few RonFisk caches too :( I loved it up there! Such a contrast to a lot of [my opinion] lower quality hides found down here.

Yes, I remember seeing a few of your logs. RonFisk has some great ones and so do a few of our other cachers in the area. Quite a few quality hides!

How's this? Not very big or cheap, or even camoflauged, but this is one of my recent ideas. Put this in a yrad, or something, it is not only cool to hide something on there, but cool to take a pic of. go to sugarpost.com or google Fred Conlon for more info.

http://www.sugarpost.com/gnome-be-gones/gbg-bird-wave.html

http://www.sugarpost.com/venus-fly-traps/m...h-plug-bug.html

How's this? Not very big or cheap, or even camoflauged, but this is one of my recent ideas. Put this in a yrad, or something, it is not only cool to hide something on there, but cool to take a pic of. go to sugarpost.com or google Fred Conlon for more info.

http://www.sugarpost.com/gnome-be-gones/gbg-bird-wave.html

http://www.sugarpost.com/venus-fly-traps/m...h-plug-bug.html

Please post those as images to the gallery of one of your caches (preferably an archived cache) so that they will always be available here. Links to 3rd party websites often become broken links after a while.

PICT0845.jpg

PICT0846.jpg

this is how i do all my log books...i don't enjoy the log books with multiple sheets of paper stapled together and are the worst things to keep organized...trying to roll them back up is just a hassle...this way you just wind the film canister back up and the log book retracts....

how do you do this? and can you ask for the old rolls at film places?

PICT0845.jpg

PICT0846.jpg

this is how i do all my log books...i don't enjoy the log books with multiple sheets of paper stapled together and are the worst things to keep organized...trying to roll them back up is just a hassle...this way you just wind the film canister back up and the log book retracts....

Think outside of the box, its really simple. Just use an unused one and waste a bunch of them and cut it off and attach the logsheet to it and roll it back in. Done.

PICT0845.jpg

PICT0846.jpg

it's actually not hard at all...the way i did mine...i took a can opener and very carefully popped off the back casing (not the side with the roller)...try not to bend the casing too much or the outer canister....once you get it off the inside film will come right out...take the film off the spindle and attach your log...the printable micro logs are a perfect fit...put the spindle with log back in the same way without the log rolled up...then put the back casing back on....once you get it on nice bang it on the ground a couple times to make sure it goes all the way on so you arn't able to pull it back off with your fingers...now you can roll your log up...i put a couple staples where i wanted the log to stop so the log doesn't get rolled all the way in and unretrievable...

i'm sure you can give it a shot...they just throw them away anyways and probably have a ton left over....try walmart or a little mom and pop photo place...and that would be even better because you'd get them with the backs already off and would only have to pop it back on...if they give you them make sure it's got the spindle that rolls the film up...you never know unless you ask...

Edited by mypaperpast

This is what I started with:

P1060423.jpg

I epoxied the magnets to the inside of the switch box, and I drilled a hole in the front plate so it will swing open. I epoxied a small strip of metal to the base to act as a stopper for the swinging plate.

P1060428.jpg

P1060433.jpg

P1060432.jpg

At least for its first use, I placed it where it didn't perfectly blend in. You gotta give em a fighting chance. :unsure:

P1060434.jpg

P1060437.jpg

Like Hiplainsdrifter above, I wanted to create a cache that was out in the open, in plain site.

The log is on the reverse side of this. It's a laminated print adhered to a magnetic sheet. The log is on the back of the magnet.

4886806376_eb03e8361c.jpg

Dude. That is AWESOME. We are DESTROYING at this geocache thing. Too bad we don't live in a bigger town!

Like Hiplainsdrifter above, I wanted to create a cache that was out in the open, in plain site.

The log is on the reverse side of this. It's a laminated print adhered to a magnetic sheet. The log is on the back of the magnet.

4886806376_eb03e8361c.jpg

Dude. That is AWESOME. We are DESTROYING at this geocache thing. Too bad we don't live in a bigger town!

how did that get past the "geocache must have a container" guideline?

or is it published?

I had my first to find contact me on the redbox cache. The log that was on the back was ruined by rain. I thought there would be a good enough seal for it to be protected. I replaced the log paper with water proof labels that I printed the log to. So, if you're thinking of this idea, keep in mind ur log needs to be waterproof. :(

As a side note, he was a very active cache hunter and he said he almost gave up on this one, was about to bang his head against the wall and then saw it... staring him in the face :laughing:

I had my first to find contact me on the redbox cache. The log that was on the back was ruined by rain. I thought there would be a good enough seal for it to be protected. I replaced the log paper with water proof labels that I printed the log to. So, if you're thinking of this idea, keep in mind ur log needs to be waterproof. :)

As a side note, he was a very active cache hunter and he said he almost gave up on this one, was about to bang his head against the wall and then saw it... staring him in the face :P

Something else to be noted on those types of hides is that some types of ink will transfer and leave stains on the paint of whatever the magnet contacts.

Something else to be noted on those types of hides is that some types of ink will transfer and leave stains on the paint of whatever the magnet contacts.

Bittsen, you're right. I first printed with an inkjet printer but the ink wouldn't go into the waterproof lable paper. It just smudged all around. We used a lazer printer to get the ink on there and stick.

Bittsen, you're right. I first printed with an inkjet printer but the ink wouldn't go into the waterproof lable paper. It just smudged all around. We used a lazer printer to get the ink on there and stick.

Well, that too but I was more referring to the signatures. With all the different types of pen ink, you can't insure against all transferability from people who are signing the logsheet.