Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I won't be digging. I will be coring the ground.

Still producing a hole. I don't care what you call it. Just make sure you tell your reviewer how you hid the cache. If it isn't a violation it won't be a problem. If you want to continue let's start another thread on the subject. We can ask Keystone to chime in. Or any of the reviewers for that matter.

If you wish to threat. And or to act high and mighty. Or just to plain old try to be more right then some one, by all means start any thread you want.

"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

No where in that description does it say anything about producing a hole. Did you jump up and throw the rules at that cache some where in this thread that was a soda can, that had a small container under it, the pressed into the ground, "Producing a hole"?

The monument at the first cache.. I do believe they used shovels and other "pointy" objects is used to dig" to set that monument. That is a direct violation of the rules. Why was that Okay????

I will simply find an existing hole that I have been given permission to place this cache in, and put it there. It would then, NOT be in violation of the rules.

Here is my newest cache container. I just finished it. It is a fake drain cache.

Cache container pulls out of sleeve that will be in the ground.

Ok... but there's a problem with the basic idea.

Geocaching Guidelines

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

~ Mitch ~

EDIT: I see that others have made the same point as me.

(just a little slow on hitting 'send')

Edited by Difficult Run

And so, back to our topic...

Not your standard lock-n-lock:

028a994d-9df3-47d0-81e0-598cc67b0deb.jpg

34f844e7-1138-4a32-ab53-449fd32ebff6.jpg

19c01e36-439f-4a73-8a91-d05578341f7a.jpg

There are three pushbuttons on the right half of the circuit board. The finder enters a 6-digit code using these buttons. If the code is correct, the LED display shows the coordinates to the next stage.

There is a switch glued to the edge of the lock-n-lock, that cuts power when the box is shut. This gives the stage a very long lifetime before you need to replace the battery.

For more details:

Edited by rudolphs

LOL!! this one has been the best container we have found:)

I was the lucky one of our bunch to find it in the cemetary. :laughing: LOL

****EDITED TO MAKE LINK WORK ON PICTURE

Sorry!

THANKS!

Lori

apologies for the puns ahead of time...

on the one hand, i like this idea. on the other... i just did 3+ cemetary caches yesterday and that's going to end up being a big fear of mine... some wayward cacher is going to end up hiding a cache that alters someone's grave.

Where this one was hidden was in the woods next to the cemetary in the hollow of a tree. So it was in the tree line of the cemetary not on a grave.

but surely others hiding will not mess with gravesites in such a way.

but sometimes people don't think

this one was not grave altering in any way.

SolarLight-1.jpg

I've been looking at these things in the local hardware stores. They sell really cheap (sometimes as low as $3). Just can't seem to think how to use it for a cache that is clever and not obvious to muggles.

Ideas???

I was thinking of using one for a night cache. Replace the LED with an infrared one, and then finders would need to use a digital camera/camcorder or night vision goggles to find it (most IR LEDs emit very close to the visible spectrum, and most cameras will pick it up.) I still have an older SONY camcorder that had their "night vision" technology that definitely picks it up!

They really don't put out that much light so I was thinking about using them as night caches too, and the light would help them find them a little easier. I would like to put them on the back side of a tree that would not be facing the trail used to access cache. The IR LED is a neat idea too.

There are three pushbuttons on the right half of the circuit board. The finder enters a 6-digit code using these buttons. If the code is correct, the LED display shows the coordinates to the next stage.

There is a switch glued to the edge of the lock-n-lock, that cuts power when the box is shut. This gives the stage a very long lifetime before you need to replace the battery.

For more details:

Very cool. Just need to be careful where you hide it.

For more details:

Under a lamp post?? :laughing:

For more details:

Under a lamp post?? :laughing:

Sure, if you feel your local bomb squad needs the practice. :laughing:

Even hiding it out in the boonies is no guaranty that it won't be mistaken for a bomb, unfortunately.

Sure, if you feel your local bomb squad needs the practice. :laughing:

Even hiding it out in the boonies is no guaranty that it won't be mistaken for a bomb, unfortunately.

Yes, we were worried about this too. :laughing: Hopefully the clear geocache markings will help identify it.

[

For more details:

Any chance you'd care to share your plans for that? I have a multi I've been working on and that would fit my theme perfectly!

Although I registered in 2008, I just started Geocaching about a month ago. On Fathers Day my kids asked what I wanted to do, so of course I said Geocache. We took quite a hike into the woods (which turned out to be about as out of the way as we could have gone), but found this most unusual cache. This was the 10th cache I've ever found and don't know how soon a more unusual one will top it. There are 2 Sharpie pens inside so the animals don't eat them, and you sign your name on the dish.

IMG_20100620_110622.jpg

Although I registered in 2008, I just started Geocaching about a month ago. On Fathers Day my kids asked what I wanted to do, so of course I said Geocache. We took quite a hike into the woods (which turned out to be about as out of the way as we could have gone), but found this most unusual cache. This was the 10th cache I've ever found and don't know how soon a more unusual one will top it. There are 2 Sharpie pens inside so the animals don't eat them, and you sign your name on the dish.

IMG_20100620_110622.jpg

I hope it was on private land, otherwise it just looks like litter with graffiti on it. Neat idea...for placing on private property.

IMG_20100620_110622.jpg

I hope it was on private land, otherwise it just looks like litter with graffiti on it. Neat idea...for placing on private property.

GC1A9WW - It was well hidden, nice walk to get to it and has been there for a long time. I'm not the geocache police.

GC1A9WW - It was well hidden, nice walk to get to it and has been there for a long time. I'm not the geocache police.

It's a good thing too as it doesn't appear to meet the guidelines.

Not today's guidelines, but there was a time when that would have been allowed.

I just made this container, I do have a very ingenious idea for the hide to go with it. If you have ever seen the movie "The Da Vinci Code" you should recognize this.

My Cache

Any chance of posting a picture that doesn't require me to sign up for facebook?

OK, finally got the site to take a link. Just uploaded to one of my other caches to add to my GC.com gallery.

73270a16-2796-4397-aada-fe9e8f752465.jpg

Edited by ARONK76

I'm new to geocaching, I'm not aware of this not being against caching rules. I go with my kids for the fun of my new hobby. I'm starting to think I don't fit in around here. I didn't know I would set off nasty comments. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me some bad things about my kids or something now.

I'm new to geocaching, I'm not aware of this not being against caching rules. I go with my kids for the fun of my new hobby. I'm starting to think I don't fit in around here. I didn't know I would set off nasty comments. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me some bad things about my kids or something now.

I wouldn't worry about what some people on the forums say. Seems like some of the more active people are kind of full of themselves and consider themselves the geocache experts. Expert or not, no reason to make someone new feel unwelcome. Don't forget why you cache, to spend time with your family.

I'm new to geocaching,

Welcome to the addiction! Sorry, there is no 12 step program. :mad:

I'm starting to think I don't fit in around here.

Do you enjoy caching? If so, you'll fit in just fine. :laughing:

I didn't know I would set off nasty comments.

Those were pretty tame, actually. A couple things to bear in mind:

1 ) These forums are not representative of the majority of cachers.

2 ) No matter what you post, there will always be someone in here willing to disagree with you. :(

Maybe someone can chime in and tell me some bad things about my kids or something now.

Well, they are kinda short. :laughing:

(J/K!)

Seriously though, one thing you will find in these forums is folks with a passion for the game. Because this is an activity that they truly love, they feel compelled to defend it from all threats, foreign or domestic. Caches which are in violation of the guidelines can be viewed, by many, as a direct threat to the game, in that land managers, once they become aware of them, can often react adversely to their existence. Many, if not most, of our current guidelines exist because someone placed a cache which fell way outside common sense, simply because there were no rules prohibiting them from doing so. Those folks heck bent on protecting the integrity of the game will often speak out, loudly, whenever someone suggests a guideline violation. It's not being the "geocaching police". It's just sticking up for something they enjoy.

This particular thread, which displays kewl and unique cache containers from around the planet, is particularly prone to these kind of comments, as many new players, excited about the game and wanting to demonstrate their own creativity, build a hide that could be detrimental to the game.

Don't pet the sweaty things. :anicute:

AH, there it is. Looks good. How long did it take to build?

It took 2 days. I would have liked the quality to come out a little better but I am limited in the tools and work space I had to make it. I may eventually make another one that is better and turn this into a series.

No one said anything nasty at all. This is great for you and your kids. Welcome and have fun with it. You didn't do anything wrong! I'm sorry if you felt I wrote something nasty toward you.

I wouldn't worry about what some people on the forums say. Seems like some of the more active people are kind of full of themselves and consider themselves the geocache experts. Expert or not, no reason to make someone new feel unwelcome. Don't forget why you cache, to spend time with your family.

You seem to misunderstand too. No one said anything to make anyone feel unwelcome. I simply mentioned the fact that it was against guidelines. They said they were new and unaware. It is much better for them to learn here than the hard way. (Place a cache and have it rejected or archived quickly.)

I'm sure that more than you two will read this and learn something new about the guidelines. As mentioned it used to be allowed but they changed that. Chill out Luke. :mad::(

WOW! Lighten up. No one said anything nasty about you or your kids. The discussion was about the rules and how this cache fits in them.

And the conversation should probably be someplace else.

my first My first cache, a foam skull with a film canister attached. Perched in a tree in a shopping center. ( dia day los muertos)

That is an interesting cache! I bet you've gotten some interesting comments on that one.

445a9760-acdb-4d25-9ecf-f5765e3b2088.jpg

mostly got the tongue in cheek response of "sure its a small but nothing to lose your head over"

I just finished this today. So where is the cache in this picture?

IMGP8773.JPG

It is the fake turd. It is made of spray-on expanding insulation foam. I then airbrushed it with some acrylic paints. There is a film can underneath it. Here it is out in the open:

IMGP8775.JPG

I'm wondering to myself.... what would make this...? I definitely wouldn't touch it, would you?

While hiking to the APE cache we were making jokes about sasquatch poop (when we found some bear scat) because someone mentioned sasquatch sightings in the area during the GW weekend.

This particular poop could be labeled as such... and you do live in Astoria, so the placement would make sense. Just sayin'