Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

That's neat and all but I am SHOCKED that it was approved.

I'll post a link that narcissa did in another thread.

good advice

Do you really think it's a good idea for people looking for your cache to go touching every inch of a transformer box?

Please check out the link.

Think about this for a second, brlsk... if those transformers were really as dangerous as that blog (and his forum posts) make it sound, it would be required that each one be isolated from the public with strands of concertina wire, right? Sure, I'll admit to the remote possibility of an ungrounded short to the outer shell occurring, and that if that should happen, that touching the shell would be catastrophic, but these things are just right out in the open. Sorry, but I just can't even equate the danger of a cache on one of these things with playing golf in a thunderstorm.

The flaw in that cache, as I understand it, is that it doesn't have a container (a guideline that I find ridiculous).

That's neat and all but I am SHOCKED that it was approved.

I'll post a link that narcissa did in another thread.

good advice

Do you really think it's a good idea for people looking for your cache to go touching every inch of a transformer box?

Please check out the link.

Think about this for a second, brlsk... if those transformers were really as dangerous as that blog (and his forum posts) make it sound, it would be required that each one be isolated from the public with strands of concertina wire, right? Sure, I'll admit to the remote possibility of an ungrounded short to the outer shell occurring, and that if that should happen, that touching the shell would be catastrophic, but these things are just right out in the open. Sorry, but I just can't even equate the danger of a cache on one of these things with playing golf in a thunderstorm.

The flaw in that cache, as I understand it, is that it doesn't have a container (a guideline that I find ridiculous).

I somewhat agree with you dog with glasses but, why the need to place one there? because he could?

Is bringing someone to a power transformer box a nice scenic place? (it might be in this case)

I also played around them as a kid and probably even on them...

I don't anymore.

People get killed all the time by contacting overhead wires. Should the utility companies bury those or hide them behind concertina wire? no, common sense should prevail.

People get killed all the time by contacting overhead wires. Should the utility companies bury those or hide them behind concertina wire? no, common sense should prevail.

overhead wires are "guarded by distance"... only us geocachers travel around in bucket trucks with bolt cutters ready to take on any of those pesky little locks on the green boxes... or check the pole transformers for nanos. :)

As far as seeking permission from the power company to hide that cache.. How many lamp post hides do you think actually have permission? There are so many and I am sure most do not have permission.

This unit is in a public place. I did not alter the transformer. I did not put it in it. I am not bothering the transformer. Its on the out side of it.

I did not seek permission from the electric company to place this I will admit, but if any one really thinks that I should seek permission for this I will call them right now.

the reason I don't feel I need to is because they are every where. In parks, apartment complexes, in front of stores. Kids play on them, people lean on them, use it as a make shift table to set their coffee on, they sit on them to take a break. The only warning I see on any of these is, "Keep out" Not "Keep off". If it said keep off, I would not have placed it there.

When I was a kid, There was one right out side of our house near the street. This was the neighborhood "base" for hide and go seek, and just something to hang out and sit on etc. I have seen first hand 2 times them opened, disconnected, swapped and reconnected and sealed. The linesmen were always very nice. Never minded us watching them as long as we stood back. Told us all about what they were doing. As a kid it was very cool to watch the man pull off the huge connectors with a pole and connect it to power. I asked one of the linesmen once, " Is it okay to play on these." He replied that it was fine as long as we never tried to go inside of it. And if one is not locked to have our parents call right away and not to play on that one.

This says to me that it is okay to place it where I did. Kinda falls in play of the Frisbee rule. I know that if I stand on top of one and play Frisbee, I will not get in trouble. There for I can place a cache there.

Now, back to the actual topic. What does every one think of the hide???

I think it would have been a moderately interesting hide had adequate permission been sought. Knowing that not an even an attempt was made to seek permission makes me think quite a bit less of the cache. Especially with the justification that all "those other people" probably didn't seek permission.

I know that this sort of cache has been done before as well which is probably why I don't find it to be that ingenious as well.

Just to note. I called JCP&L and they said it is okay.

I love the magnetic transformer "urban hide" - I'm still so new to geocaching that I missed an urban hide similar to this just the other day, (but a sneaky metal plate) - when I returned I placed my hand on it and must admit I jumped when it moved. I didn't think I was getting electrocuted, I was just really surprised! It certainly branched out my hide knowledge and I won't likely miss one like this again!

Keep up the good work! Hides like this make me less of a noob each day!! :)

Guess I'll repost this here for posterity. Its a large container and pretty funny IMO. My favorite cache we've found

20px2eq.jpg

a4a2xc.jpg

25gukoh.jpg

I'd posted it in another thread as a joking suggestion for someone to do the same with their large container but really... This seems like a one in a million hide.

Crazy thing is, once you know its there you realize its visable from the trail.

Crazier thing, we walked right under it saying, "weird sign." the day before... the GPS told us we were REALLY far away, lol

SPOILER ALERT!

This might be a spoiler if you cache in the Penticton, BC area.

Had to post a few pictures of a cache nearby, as the container certainly is different.

F901.JPG

F902.JPG

F903.JPG

The top is a rusty piece of rebar for camoflage. The middle part is a piece of plastic water line used for domestic water pipes in houses. And the bottom of the container that contains the logbook is a "Vacutainer" (unused), which is used to collect a blood sample.

Found one like that a couple days ago in Parksville BC!

Pay attention to the difficulty rating and stick with the lower ratings for now. You'll do fine.

I try too, and am a little nonplussed that my 7-yr old is doing better at finding the 'harder' rated caches than I am !

7-yr olds lack any preconceptions of "Oh, that couldn't possibly be it". This gives 'em an edge.

that and the fact that they're closer to the ground

SPOILER ALERT!

Had to post a few pictures of a cache nearby, as the container certainly is different.

F901.JPG

F902.JPG

F903.JPG

The top is a rusty piece of rebar for camoflage. The middle part is a piece of plastic water line used for domestic water pipes in houses. And the bottom of the container that contains the logbook is a "Vacutainer" (unused), which is used to collect a blood sample.

i've long known about these but funny how few ive found in urbans.

I believe the big giveaway is where they are cut and they aren't "weathered"

Just a tip for the "cool cache containers" thread readers.

To "weather" steel, take a piece of steel and place it in a bowl. Add a small amount of bleach and let it set for a day.

The bleach vapors collect in the bowl and quickly oxidize steel.

Just put out a new one recently. I felt like doing something a little evil. I didn't go full out evil, or I would have placed it so it was facing downward.

facing downward? you mean under the little boxy thing? thats the first place i look if its an electrical box hide, where the forklifts are the second spot and the ridge where the lock is, the third place.

-

the slight variation in color is a dead giveaway.

NOW THIS IS A FAKE ROCK......

8698_1d8308799146cdc9f81ed74980be1040.jpg

Isn't covering a propane tank without venting considered dangerous?

That is not a propane tank, it is a pressure tank for water. Note the well head right next to it.

I thought it was a giant pill bottle painted blue and set upside down. ;)

That would be so much fun to hide one under, then hide under it with the cache right after the hide was published, with a lawn chair, stick up light, and a cooler full of beer, waiting for the FTF hunters to arrive! FTF prize is a beer!

I am going to place this one soon. What are your thoughts and are there any ideas where the perfect location could be?

I think that would make a great mystery cache, located at the unknown fourth 'home base' co-ordinates of a diamond, after giving the hunter the co-ordinates of the other three bases/points of the diamond.

that would work with the theme.

I am going to place this one soon. What are your thoughts and are there any ideas where the perfect location could be?

I think that would make a great mystery cache, located at the unknown fourth 'home base' co-ordinates of a diamond, after giving the hunter the co-ordinates of the other three bases/points of the diamond.

that would work with the theme.

the furth base could e were he pitchers mound would be

SPOILER ALERT!

F901.JPG

F902.JPG

F903.JPG

Greetings! Actually, the top of the rebar is naturally rusty. When cut, the cut part goes into the plastic pipe.

SPOILER ALERT!

F901.JPG

F902.JPG

F903.JPG

Greetings! Actually, the top of the rebar is naturally rusty. When cut, the cut part goes into the plastic pipe.

but if you have say a 6 foot piece of rebar and are making many rebar caches you'll have the shiny steel on most of them. you'll have to weather them.

SolarLight-1.jpg

I've been looking at these things in the local hardware stores. They sell really cheap (sometimes as low as $3). Just can't seem to think how to use it for a cache that is clever and not obvious to muggles.

Ideas???

I was thinking of using one for a night cache. Replace the LED with an infrared one, and then finders would need to use a digital camera/camcorder or night vision goggles to find it (most IR LEDs emit very close to the visible spectrum, and most cameras will pick it up.) I still have an older SONY camcorder that had their "night vision" technology that definitely picks it up!

As far as seeking permission from the power company to hide that cache.. How many lamp post hides do you think actually have permission? There are so many and I am sure most do not have permission.

This unit is in a public place. I did not alter the transformer. I did not put it in it. I am not bothering the transformer. Its on the out side of it.

I did not seek permission from the electric company to place this I will admit, but if any one really thinks that I should seek permission for this I will call them right now.

the reason I don't feel I need to is because they are every where. In parks, apartment complexes, in front of stores. Kids play on them, people lean on them, use it as a make shift table to set their coffee on, they sit on them to take a break. The only warning I see on any of these is, "Keep out" Not "Keep off". If it said keep off, I would not have placed it there.

When I was a kid, There was one right out side of our house near the street. This was the neighborhood "base" for hide and go seek, and just something to hang out and sit on etc. I have seen first hand 2 times them opened, disconnected, swapped and reconnected and sealed. The linesmen were always very nice. Never minded us watching them as long as we stood back. Told us all about what they were doing. As a kid it was very cool to watch the man pull off the huge connectors with a pole and connect it to power. I asked one of the linesmen once, " Is it okay to play on these." He replied that it was fine as long as we never tried to go inside of it. And if one is not locked to have our parents call right away and not to play on that one.

This says to me that it is okay to place it where I did. Kinda falls in play of the Frisbee rule. I know that if I stand on top of one and play Frisbee, I will not get in trouble. There for I can place a cache there.

Now, back to the actual topic. What does every one think of the hide???

I think its evil. :huh:

I was thinking of using one for a night cache. Replace the LED with an infrared one, and then finders would need to use a digital camera/camcorder or night vision goggles to find it (most IR LEDs emit very close to the visible spectrum, and most cameras will pick it up.) I still have an older SONY camcorder that had their "night vision" technology that definitely picks it up!

We have done this for a stage in a night cache. Tried replacing the standard LED in one of those lights with an infra-red LED. Cameras can pick it up a little.

It works much better if the Infra-red LED is pointed at the cacher/camera. Can work as a beacon 100+ feet away at night!

More Info:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4014649

Edited by rudolphs

SPOILER ALERT!

but if you have say a 6 foot piece of rebar and are making many rebar caches you'll have the shiny steel on most of them. you'll have to weather them.

Chlorine bleach and salt will rust that bare iron in minutes. No worry.

Here is my newest cache container. I just finished it. It is a fake drain cache.

Together

0625001841.jpg

Cache container pulls out of sleeve that will be in the ground.

0625001842.jpg

Container and sleeve.

0625001841a.jpg

View 1 of container drain cover.

0625001839.jpg

View 2 of the plug which seals the container.

0625001840.jpg

Under the drain cover is painted flat black so it is not visible.

0625001840a.jpg

I am planning to place this little guy some where tomorrow. I was going to make it a small however I think you can fit as much swag in this as a regular sized lock and lock. What do you think, small or regular??

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by mchaos

Ah yes. I am not going to use any pointy objects. I am going to core a hole for it. Its not pointy at all. As a matter of fact the edge is very dull.

I have seen hides like this before as well has hides where as a shovel would have been needed, unless the CO used their bare hands which I doubt.

I have seen, fake lawn sprinkler hides and Water main boxes in the ground. These are all in the ground. As well i have seen another on this thread where the container was in the ground. I don't think a shovel was needed, but still in the ground. I am sure it was cored, which is the method of which I will be placing this cache. As well it is going to be some where that I have permission to place it.

I don't think I will be breaking any rules on this one. It is not buried, merely in the ground.

Here is another example of a cache of the same nature.

Edited by mchaos

Ah yes. I am not going to use any pointy objects. I am going to core a hole for it. Its not pointy at all. As a matter of fact the edge is very dull.

I have seen hides like this before as well has hides where as a shovel would have been needed, unless the CO used their bare hands which I doubt.

I have seen, fake lawn sprinkler hides and Water main boxes in the ground. These are all in the ground. As well i have seen another on this thread where the container was in the ground. I don't think a shovel was needed, but still in the ground. I am sure it was cored, which is the method of which I will be placing this cache. As well it is going to be some where that I have permission to place it.

I don't think I will be breaking any rules on this one. It is not buried, merely in the ground.

Here is another example of a cache of the same nature.

Be sure to explain to your reviewer just how you hid it. No matter what else you have seen it is a violation of the guidelines to dig a hole.

Edited by GOF's Sock Puppet

I won't be digging. I will be coring the ground.

Definition of Core on dictionary.com, number 4. (in mining, geology, etc.) a cylindrical sample of earth, mineral, or rock extracted from the ground by means of a corer so that the strata are undisturbed in the sample.

The definition does not contain the word dig. It is not digging the ground.

Now, lets say that this is on my own property? Lets say I was already digging up a hole for some other reason, or the hole already exists. Say I just put the container in that hole and leave it?

For any reason a hole is there, if it is okay to place the cache in that hole, it is not in a violation of the rules.

Perhaps there is a hole. And I place the cache in the hole, then fill the sides in with dirt available and I did not dig this hole?

If I do not use "a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig" Then I am not in violation of the rules.

This rule is bias. One cannot slightly dig into the ground if permission is given, to hide a cache that is not buried, but one can alter a standing structure with permission to hide a cache.

I am sorry but the is a loose rule, especially because there are many caches that are some what in the ground, and a pointy object used to dig may have been used to place it. I will just make sure that I do not violate the rule as it reads.

Edited by mchaos