Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Or you could put Ipecac on it...

Just kidding. Sorry to see that some wildlife liked your bird too much :) Such a cool container!

I used to have a neighbor that mixed Concrete powder with bird feed and put it in a bird house.

The idea being that it would harden in the birds stomach and block the digestive tract.

I was horrified. I daily removed his bird houses from his yard until he moved away.

And I don't even like birds.

Just kidding. Sorry to see that some wildlife liked your bird too much :rolleyes: Such a cool container!

I used to have a neighbor that mixed Concrete powder with bird feed and put it in a bird house.

The idea being that it would harden in the birds stomach and block the digestive tract.

I was horrified. I daily removed his bird houses from his yard until he moved away.

Oh that's sick... I was joking about the Ipecac. What an awful thing for your neighbor to do!! Glad you removed the birdhouses.

Just kidding. Sorry to see that some wildlife liked your bird too much :rolleyes: Such a cool container!

Oh that's sick... I was joking about the Ipecac. What an awful thing for your neighbor to do!! Glad you removed the birdhouses.

I knew you were joking. Sorry if my post implied you were an animal hater.

As I said.. i don't even like birds but he was an a - hole

And no animal should die that way.

rockcache.jpg

Fake rocks? Why use fake when you can use real

those real rocks with centrifuge tubes are REALLY common here in az along with ones in drift wood.

NOW THIS IS A FAKE ROCK......

8698_1d8308799146cdc9f81ed74980be1040.jpg

Now that is a HUGE ROCK ! if you put one of those out in the wild,what would cachers think?

let alone would that be a large or other.MEGA SIZE :rolleyes:

we have here in Town a Rooster just like that but the AGWAY store is

no longer there , That is a Landmark for directions most the people

around here use....Can't miss that on top of a stand....I was going to place a NANO under the stand but they planted a bunch flowers , so

I didn't do it.

M.TEX

I want to make a gigantic fake rock cache SO BAD now. I have room in my yard for one. Oh my goodness.

That might just beat the gigantic chicken yard cache...

2hwh54h.jpg

(Yes, that silly person is my husband...)

we've seen one like that.... in fact, a few animals. there's a car dealer that has a large greenspace in front where they actually have decorated steer (i'll have to snap a picture to post here). we'd love to do a fake poo cache... or much worse.... teen boys have the least friendly thoughts about cache placement.

I found a cache in a fake cow pie a couple of months ago. It was really funny.

I've seen fake cow pies and they don't hold a candle to the real thing. Which got me thinking...

I watched a movie on a DVD then watched the special features, specifically how they made the contents of a porta-potty - what they used to get the color and consistency about right (see, someone in the movie hides in one and emerges with the stuff all over.)

So while I was in a pasture contemplating sub-standard cow pies I began thinking what would be needed to create an authentic looking cow pie, which would withstand the elements for years.

First off, they're full of grasses so look very fibrous - the fake ones just look like a flat dollop of colored plaster, too smooth and uniform - the fibre content is light in color, like dried straw, while whatever binds it is darker in color. So something like a dark color Bondo (autobody filler used by auto restoration) would fit the bill for the binding agent, now back to the fibre .. fibre glass? Loose carbon fibre?

I figure once its mixed, if it is too viscous to pour out into a good likeness of a pie (those are usually pretty loose when deposited by their manufacturers) One approach would be to wax a board, place the cache container on it, perhaps with a collar around the lid made of foam, which can be remove later, then cover with the mixture, raised and dropped on the ground to spread it out. Add more as desired for the best effect.

Something I'll have to try, once I have a source for the fibre stuff.

Note to self .. Don't look for Dragons West caches in a field. :ph34r:

"Nope... not that one"

"Not this one, either..."

"This one's real"

"Oooh! This one is real fresh!!"

Yeah, I can see your point. :P

Well, you never know. You might meet up with Evil Cow Pie. She's quite nice actually. :rolleyes:

so I went a few weeks ago and checked the bird cach.

it held up to the winter weather really well

I went back this week to restock the swag

it held up to the winter but some of the local wildlif didnt take too kindly to it

The eyes are gone as well as all the feathers on its head

there are also a few small holes in the plastic

IMG_0613.jpg

I have a similar set up and just like yours the local wildlife tore that bird up.

I made one that looked like a dead bird on the ground, using real pheasant wings assembled around a bison tube.

c6984a79-8460-4188-804f-f41d9085b34b.jpg

I coated it with shoe polish, thinking that would prevent critters from chewing on it. The camo worked great, but grubs started to eat the feathers. I guess using real feathers won't last in the wild.

The trick with using natural materials is finding a way to preserve them or make them unpalatable to critters.

Perhaps hide a mothball in the feathers.

I thought spraying it with shoe water resistance spray would do the trick, but I guess grubs are grubs and don't care if their food tastes a little chemically.

I made one that looked like a dead bird on the ground, using real pheasant wings assembled around a bison tube.

c6984a79-8460-4188-804f-f41d9085b34b.jpg

I coated it with shoe polish, thinking that would prevent critters from chewing on it. The camo worked great, but grubs started to eat the feathers. I guess using real feathers won't last in the wild.

I would say that I found that one, but I DNF'd the original. Only found it after you replaced it with a regular cache.

but... shoe polish? :rolleyes: Clear spray lacquer maybe. Thompson deck sealer, perhaps. But shoe polish? LOL!

Refraining from commenting is hurting my head!

Let me help you out...

WOW!!_THAT'S_ONE_HUGE_MALE_CHICKEN!!

:P:P:P:P:P

*grinning* yeah, I know.... trust me the cock references fly around here... now, just to clarify, a cock is not always a dirty word... it is a valid and proper name for a male poultry fowl, as is evidenced by the dictionary entry here:

Main Entry: 1cock

Pronunciation: \ˈkäk\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English cok, from Old English cocc, of imitative origin

Date: before 12th century

1 a : the adult male of the domestic chicken (Gallus gallus) b : the male of birds other than the domestic chicken c : woodcock d archaic : the crowing of a cock; also : cockcrow e : weathercock

2 : a device (as a faucet or valve) for regulating the flow of a liquid

3 a : a chief person : leader b : a person of spirit and often of a certain swagger or arrogance

4 a : the hammer in the lock of a firearm b : the cocked position of the hammer

5 usually vulgar : penis

— cock of the walk : one that dominates a group or situation especially overbearingly

:drama::laughing::lol::D:D

This is not an original idea but snagged from HeadHardHat

cheap and easy to make, about 5-6 bucks at local hardware,

plumbing store

container holding log is in film canister with a magnet attached to

bottom that goes inside pvc container-magnet/bottom first

on bottom of pvc container you add another magnet that holds

film canister into pvc container

I used metal plumbing tape and adhered a couple of heavy

magnets to attache to metal box behind a store near local

shopping mall

so far has had excellent reviews (GC1XFZZ)

PVC.jpg

Some of these are absolutely awesome containers, great camo and such.

But others are enough to completely discourage a new cacher from even bothering to go looking. :drama:

Pay attention to the difficulty rating and stick with the lower ratings for now. You'll do fine.

I just finished my newest cache container. Sorry the pics are a little dark but the sun was going down when I finished it.

0528002219.jpg

and here is the prize!

0528002221.jpg

I made this for a re-hide. I had a cache that was archived, and I am going to replace it with this. Its going to be real hard to find next to a pile of scrap cement chunks :laughing:

Edited by mchaos
Pay attention to the difficulty rating and stick with the lower ratings for now. You'll do fine.

I try too, and am a little nonplussed that my 7-yr old is doing better at finding the 'harder' rated caches than I am !

7-yr olds lack any preconceptions of "Oh, that couldn't possibly be it". This gives 'em an edge.

NOW THIS IS A FAKE ROCK......

8698_1d8308799146cdc9f81ed74980be1040.jpg

Isn't covering a propane tank without venting considered dangerous?

That is not a propane tank, it is a pressure tank for water. Note the well head right next to it.

I thought it was a giant pill bottle painted blue and set upside down. :laughing:

Some of these are absolutely awesome containers, great camo and such.

But others are enough to completely discourage a new cacher from even bothering to go looking. :(

these forums were where i learned the square bases on lamp posts lift[usually a film cannister or altoids tin under there] :laughing:

Here's one that I found in the NWT last summer. It is in an area that is frequented by buffalo, so you can guess what it is!

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/6a6cca...2b399a5eee8.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/90bef7...a8ededa1fb3.jpg

Sorry, I can't remember how to post the photos but the links will get you there.

Edit to add photo links

Edited by rovers3

Just put out a new one recently. I felt like doing something a little evil. I didn't go full out evil, or I would have placed it so it was facing downward.

cache1.jpg

cache2.jpg

cache3.jpg

That's the closest I could find to the color of the transformer box. Spruce green. Its slightly lighter then it, but its is pretty close. You can see it better in the picture, but it looks like a better match IRL.

I just happened to catch the first person looking for it, and introduced my self, and actually got to see how well it was hidden. Even though it is slightly off, the seeker stared right at it several times, more then 7 times, and didn't notice it. Took him almost 40 minutes of staring at the green machine until he realized what it was.

He said he actually started examining every bolt on the machine. He said he realized it was it when he noticed the other side of the unit, which is normally identical, was slightly different.

That's neat and all but I am SHOCKED that it was approved.

I'll post a link that narcissa did in another thread.

good advice

Do you really think it's a good idea for people looking for your cache to go touching every inch of a transformer box?

Please check out the link.

Edited by brslk

good advice

Do you really think it's a good idea for people looking for your cache to go touching every inch of a transformer box?

That was a blog from a Crazy Alarmist guy.

good advice

WOW. I am all about safety about electricity and electrical boxes but use common sense. Its a large, "locked" transformer box. In public. since it is so unsafe, because what? electrical arks are gonna randomly zap people? Please. I grew up where these things were common place. Played on them as a child. We called them green machines, and they were always "base" when playing hide and go seek or man hunt. They need to be designed so as the average person cannot get into them, or they cannot be in public. There is nothing you can open. There is only one door to the hookups, and its locked with a seal. You cannot open it with a key, it needs to be cut with a beefy bolt cutter.

I can understand if I put a fake electrical box up next to a real one but this is a magnet on a big metal box that is triple insulated and locked.

As well. There is a wooden guard rail not more then 10 feet from it. I can see a spot where it could be a good hiding spot. So what if I were to hide something there? No doubt being so close to the transformer cache hunters would check it out anyway.

There is no way some one could get electrocuted looking for this cache, unless they decided to get a big pair of bolt cutters, clip the seal, then swing open the 100lb lid over the terminals, and then grab on to one of them.

I don't think there is a problem here. Thanks for your concern tho...

EDIT: And just so you know... This guy says and I quote, "Electrical equipment in you neighborhood:

Kids are always playing on those green power boxes located in around neighborhoods, parks and schools. Generally those boxes are safe. (or they wouldn't put them out in the open)"

And this is what my cache is on.

Edited by mchaos

Not trying to tell you or anyone how to hide caches or where.

Just saying. Nothing wrong with sharing knowledge even if you don't agree with it.

I could go on to say that a power transformer is private property owned by the power company.

I'm not a stick to the rules type of guy. I was just trying to offer some advice.

I will refrain from doing so to you and bittsen.

I know I try to stay away from metal containers that have thousands of volts in them.