Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

These are 2 of the most unusual I've found - part of a halloween series.

P1000874.jpg

DSC06291.jpg

Some other ones were a Keep Off sign on side of a wall - with log attached to back, and a fake can of Baked Beans which unscrewed at the bottom.

DSC06565.jpg

Edited by CW88

This one uses a Lock&Lock container with camo Duck tape and oak leaves glued to the top.

oak%20leaf%20camo%205-8-10.jpg

Sprinkle a few extra leaves on top and it completely disappears! It's hidden in a cemetery that has a lot of groundskeeper activity such as leaf blowing, string trimming and trash removal. Also if a cacher doesn't re-hide it very well, it kind of hides itself.

This one uses a Lock&Lock container with camo Duck tape and oak leaves glued to the top.

oak%20leaf%20camo%205-8-10.jpg

Sprinkle a few extra leaves on top and it completely disappears! It's hidden in a cemetery that has a lot of groundskeeper activity such as leaf blowing, string trimming and trash removal. Also if a cacher doesn't re-hide it very well, it kind of hides itself.

Hidden in a poison ivy patch. NICE!! Great camo.

When using leaves, it's best to get some fake leaves from a craft store. Real leaves will deteriorate.
Not necessarily. I've hidden two caches out that were camo'd with real leaves. Both survived surprisingly well. My trick was to spray them (as in "saturate") with clear matte acrylic spray paint... several coats. The first cache held up well for over a year (including a Minnesota winter) and the second is still out there, although that one is protected from the environment to some extent.

While I haven't tried it (yet), I suspect that something like Thompson's Wood Seal would also work pretty well.

To Tally Dragon: That is awsesome! But I think The Ravens are right... that green stuff sure looks like poison ivy!!

When using leaves, it's best to get some fake leaves from a craft store. Real leaves will deteriorate.
Not necessarily. I've hidden two caches out that were camo'd with real leaves. Both survived surprisingly well. My trick was to spray them (as in "saturate") with clear matte acrylic spray paint... several coats. The first cache held up well for over a year (including a Minnesota winter) and the second is still out there, although that one is protected from the environment to some extent.

While I haven't tried it (yet), I suspect that something like Thompson's Wood Seal would also work pretty well.

To Tally Dragon: That is awsesome! But I think The Ravens are right... that green stuff sure looks like poison ivy!!

I thought about using fake leaves, I've used fake ivy before as in the picture below, but do they come in brown? The matte spray paint is also a good idea. I used to be a draftsman and we used it to waterproof and smug proof our drawings. I figure with all the handling and flexing of the lid, a good amount of the leaves will come off and I'll just re-do it if necessary. Also the camo tape works pretty good by itself and any leaf material at all will make it even better. The fact that the surrounding area was all brown leaves (except for the poison ivy) made me want to try this technique. Thanks for your comments.

Ivy-Camo.jpg

I've got one that looks just like a tupperware container! It's so cool, cause it blends in with all the other tupperware containers out in the woods!

:ph34r:

That really did make me laugh out loud!

I have to say the coolest cache container (not custom) was the first one I found (logged under my son's account). It was our first time out, and we searched for 40 minutes until we finally found the bison tube (yes, it's not custom), but the feeling of elation will never be forgotten!

i am thinkin of a real evil micro thats a real fire hedrant modded to fit a cache in it :P:):P

Depending on how/where it is hidden, it may be illegal! I wanted to do something similar, and a local cacher's father use to be a fire marshal. He informed her it would be illegal in Rhode Island, due to possible confusion between real and fake ones.

I never thought to do that on a leaf container. I haven't made one because I was worried about deterioration, but I want to try it now. I think a trip to the hardware store is in order for me :)

Working on a new container

cache-teaser.jpg

If that is MDF (medium density fiberboard) it won't late the first rain. If it's partical board (like what is used for closet selves) it might last a little longer but will still decay quickly. For out in the eliminates it is best to use cedar or treated lumber. Great idea though.

i am thinkin of a real evil micro thats a real fire hedrant modded to fit a cache in it :huh::grin::huh:

A geocacher in my area has already done just that. Here is the cache page: Plug Ugly (GC272PF).

Don't worry - it was out in the middle of the woods. No confusion there for the firefighters. The cache owner is a firefighter.

Edited by tgjamin
Working on a new container

cache-teaser.jpg

If that is MDF (medium density fiberboard) it won't late the first rain. If it's partical board (like what is used for closet selves) it might last a little longer but will still decay quickly. For out in the eliminates it is best to use cedar or treated lumber. Great idea though.

Even with MDF it is possible (though not necessarily cheap) to make it weather resistant. It is actually easier with MDF than partial board. Although if you fail it will be more noticeable with the mdf. There are finishes out there that would allow you to make it suitable for being out in the weather. One thing that is readily accessible that "may work" is fiberglass body fill... Im not sure though. Anyway good job on building it. If you can find the right spot I'm sure it will be great.

LOL!! this one has been the best container we have found:)

I was the lucky one of our bunch to find it in the cemetary. :grin: LOL

****EDITED TO MAKE LINK WORK ON PICTURE

Sorry!

THANKS!

Lori

apologies for the puns ahead of time...

on the one hand, i like this idea. on the other... i just did 3+ cemetary caches yesterday and that's going to end up being a big fear of mine... some wayward cacher is going to end up hiding a cache that alters someone's grave.

It's going to be sitting under roof at all times so it won't be subject to rain and things like that :grin:

That's just mean!

Not the word that came to my mind. But at least all those film cans are all in one place instead of every lamp post in town.

It's not that hard. You have a 50/50 chance of finding it in the first half of looking. That's only 1750 pop/clicks

WOW someone must own a photo developing company.

so I went a few weeks ago and checked the bird cach.

it held up to the winter weather really well

I went back this week to restock the swag

it held up to the winter but some of the local wildlif didnt take too kindly to it

The eyes are gone as well as all the feathers on its head

there are also a few small holes in the plastic

IMG_0613.jpg

Edited by Anno Lynke

it held up to the winter but some of the local wildlif didnt take too kindly to it

This is one of the most awesome caches that I have ever found.

sounds like other birds wanted that nesting material.

IMG_0613.jpg

I have a similar set up and just like yours the local wildlife tore that bird up.

put another one out, lace it with arsenic. the local birds that pecked this one apart won't mess with the new one.... for long.