Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

This is a working proto-type that I am working on. When you pass a magnet past the logo, the cache will drop out like a vending machine. Once signed the cache can be place back in the top, via a one way hole.

Incredible! Does this use a magnetic switch of the burglar-alarm type, or a homemade verison? Very cool!

I purchased a reed relay from our local radio shack, and disassembled it. Inside is a reed switch. The switch is activated by a magnetic field. This then toggles a relay that then controls a actuator.

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

What a great idea..

Just one question how does it stay down there?

Well, I took the plans for a cryptex cache container posted here, did some modifications, and came up with one of my own. I did it all with hand tools...I dunno, it seems more satisfying to me...enjoy:

cryptex.jpg

Hey, really nice! Looks very good!

Could you descripe what materials you used for that?

Greets,

Oli

I may or may not have posted this here before. It's my LPC. Sheet magnet attached to a sheet of aluminum. Ideally it should be the same size as the inside edge of the skirt. I tried this before but I didn't use the right material. I used poster board and it didn't last but for 1 find I think. It got trashed. By mistake I made this one too short. It should be taller by 1/2" or so. (I think.) I tried to paint it to try to blend in a little. The log is Tyvek so it will not be affected by moisture.

sam0308.jpg

sam0309.jpg

Nothing really special here. A square tin painted black. I attached four large screw heads to the corners with JB weld. I will add magnets under it and attach it to the underside of a display railway car. As my 11yo noted (correctly) it should be nuts/bolts and not screws to make it even halfway period correct. I was just being lazy.

If I attach the magnets directly to the underside of the tin with JB Weld (it has a recess) I'm afraid that they will pull off over time considering their strength. Has anyone had success with neodymium and JB Weld? I tried it before but I can't seem to remember where...

sam0313.jpg

If I attach the magnets directly to the underside of the tin with JB Weld (it has a recess) I'm afraid that they will pull off over time considering their strength. Has anyone had success with neodymium and JB Weld? I tried it before but I can't seem to remember where...

I have used a hot glue gun to attach my earth magnetics with good results.

In our experience, it is usually best to put them on the inside of the container.

The nightmare with rare earth magnets though, is that if you have more than one, they all stick together when the glue is drying and it comes out a mess. Maybe welding gets around this.

To attach neodymium magnets to a container, do the following.

Coat the magnet with either the liquid electrical tape or use a piece of shrink tubing to wrap the magnet entirely.

Then attach the magnet using most any form of weather resistant adhesive suitable for plastic to metal. JB weld should work fine at that point.

Has anyone had success with neodymium and JB Weld?

Kewl cache! I tried adhering some rare earth magnets to the bottom of some antique metal film cans. The base was non-ferrous, (aluminum?) while the gasketed, screw on lid was ferrous, (tin?). Pretty kewl containers. But I digress. I tried super glue, gorilla glue, 2 part high strength epoxy and JB weld. JB Weld was my last attempt, and I figured it would work since the compound brags about sticking metal to metal. All of these adhesives failed when I stuck the container to the side of my truck then pulled it off. The magnet, with the glue attached, stayed affixed to my truck. I ended up gluing the magnets to the inside instead.

I didn't think to try Bittsen's idea. Sounds like that might work. :blink:

These are great. I am waiting for my GPS to arrive Thursday so I can provide the coordinates of my first hide which I made over the weekend from an idea I had. It would fall into this category for sure, but I don't want to post pics and kill the surprise. Anyway, this thread has inspired me to make ALL of my hides like this. I can't wait to get my first one live later this week.

I can use them on the inside but because the container is already metal it takes multiple magnets that are pretty strong. Of course the metal container keeps them from sticking together in the inside! If they are attached on the outside the magnets I have are so strong that I think it will really stress the bond when you take it off. I think I will just use extras on the inside so I don't have to worry about driving 15 miles away to do maintenance. :rolleyes: Does that make me lazy? :laughing:

So I'm spending my time trying to think of interesting fun and sometimes challenging caches. I was stumped.

sam0361.jpg

hmmmmm.

thinking....

Then it hit me! Idea!

sam0362.jpg

sam0363.jpg

I'm sure this has been done dozens of times over. I will hang it in a tree somewhere. Yeah. I know. Something is wrong with me. :sad:

sam0361.jpg

No disrespect intended but you look like you are preparing for a bit of...um...nasal maintenance?

"Cool! She's looking the other way. Gotta do this quick."

To be honest, I'd say it looks like about 0.5 seconds AFTER the nasal maintenance. Same quote, though. :sad:

OK... sorry for boogering up this great thread. Back on-topic, OK?

Looks really nice. What mods did you use compared to the other? I hope you didn't accidentally post the answer in your pic!!! :laughing: Other than that, it looks sweet!

OK, on topic... that is very nice work! I want to find one like that!

Oops! I forgot to add:

"Brilliant!"

Thanks for the compliments, folks. I really appreciate it. As far as the cryptex pic, I did move it to spell a word, but it is not the word you need to open it. :P

The modifications I did were using a slightly larger PVC pipe for the moving rings, PVC caps for the ends and an epoxy made for plastics to hold the stationary rings instead of screws.

What did you use for the markings?

So I'm spending my time trying to think of interesting fun and sometimes challenging caches. I was stumped.

sam0361.jpg

hmmmmm.

thinking....

Then it hit me! Idea!

sam0362.jpg

sam0363.jpg

I'm sure this has been done dozens of times over. I will hang it in a tree somewhere. Yeah. I know. Something is wrong with me. :lol:

Hmmm... Have you found the guy who stole my Booger? Swiz

IMG_1240.jpg

Please if you spot my booger help me pick him out of the crowd so I can bring him back home. Who nose what goes on in the minds of cache theives!! Come Home Booger!!!

First cache. Originally was buried in the ground. Changed and now is mounted to base under leaves.

Saveland188

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

There is one similar to this in my area, only the cache sits farther down the pipe, it's close by a creek and you have to go to the creek to get water to pour in the pipe and make it float to the top. Pretty cool I think.

There is one similar to this in my area, only the cache sits farther down the pipe, it's close by a creek and you have to go to the creek to get water to pour in the pipe and make it float to the top. Pretty cool I think.

I've seen this type of cache mentioned before but what happens when you are done and need to put the cache back? does it drain slowly out eventually?

I've seen this type of cache mentioned before but what happens when you are done and need to put the cache back? does it drain slowly out eventually?

The ones I've done had a small hole at the bottom that you had to plug with your finger in order to fill the pipe. Once you remove your finger, all the water runs out. Makes it challenging if you need more water and you're alone. :P

The ones I've done had a small hole at the bottom that you had to plug with your finger in order to fill the pipe. Once you remove your finger, all the water runs out. Makes it challenging if you need more water and you're alone. :D

thats why you carry modeling clay in your geocaching toolbag! :P

The ones I've done had a small hole at the bottom that you had to plug with your finger in order to fill the pipe. Once you remove your finger, all the water runs out. Makes it challenging if you need more water and you're alone. :D

thats why you carry modeling clay in your geocaching toolbag! :P

...or chewing gum.

I wanted to post some pics from some of my event caches from the 4-H Camp Cache Bash, held this past June.

The LPC in the Woods

LPCintheWoods1.jpg

LPCintheWoods2.jpg

I will try to post some from last years event as well, as soon as I can find them!

Boots...

I'm trying to concept a similar idea for a night cache, called 'We'll leave the light on for you.'

still trying to figure out the best place to place it, though, where it won't be as obvious.

Hard part, is finding fire tacks.

As a long time lurker, I feel it is time to add one of my creations to my favourite thread.

We have a kindergartener and a pre-schooler so up until quite recently it seemed that every cupboard door and appliance in the house was childproofed. After a while we got used to them being there so we could automatically unfasten them. However, when friends and family would visit, we were able to get a good laugh when they would encounter one of those tricky contraptions.

Using that as a premise, I sat down with a variety of childproofing locks and designed the following nested locking cache.

Upon opening the ordinary looking ammo can, the finder discovers a stove lock.

childprooflayer1.jpg

After squeezing his way past that one, he encounters the dreaded fridge lock. This style of lock proved to be the most frustrating for many of our visitors.

childprooflayer2.jpg

The clever finder that has pushed his way through that one then comes upon the corner cupboard lock.

childprooflayer3.jpg

Once that little bad boy is unbuckled, the finder uncovers a somewhat familiar pill bottle.

childprooflayer4.jpg

Following a swift push/twist combination, the log book is finally uncovered.

Here is a cross-section showing the nested compartments

Childproofsideview.jpg

Heh heh, thats a great and evil little cache.

Wow, that is brilliant!

For those asking about magnets, I've got a good tip that also include recycling.

With all of the personal data theft, you should never throw away an old hard drive. Even if you wipe it, it should be recycled.

Well, here's what you do. Before you take it to the recycling center, open it. Inside you will find 2, VERY STRONG magnets. These magnets are welded to flanges that have holes in them to keep them screwed to the inside of the case.

Not all of them can be re-used and they can be a pain to get to. But, once you do, I just mark where the holes are on the bottom of my cache container, drill holes, and attach them with bolts (Using nuts, lock washers and a little JB weld on the threads to keep them in place).

My Micro 209 cache is one such that I used a single, small Hard drive magnet on the bottom of an Altoids mini tin.

Strollin' With Trolls is also made this way, but with a larger mint tin.

(There are images on both Cache pages)

I've thought about useing 2, maybe 3 of these larger ones to turn a 30 or 50 cal ammo can into a magnet cache!!!!

I have a box of about 15 of these and will be recycling some more drives soon. I've started keeping a couple attached to an old wrench I stick in my back pocket and leaving them in Caches for other people to take and use for their own.

I love this thread ;)

So here is a micro :unsure: (i know...but there are sometimes that a micro is all that will survive)

I am not a fan of film canisters and I have learned that things with straight sides stand out. Your eyes seem to gravitate towards them because they seem out of place (in nature). So here is my first fix...

fa0e7431-b24f-4937-976f-738858372884.jpg

82743191-4e73-4717-8887-886be3341c4f.jpg

c11be9e5-1b9b-44a5-89d2-23d5715c401d.jpg

I love this thread ;)

So here is a micro :unsure: (i know...but there are sometimes that a micro is all that will survive)

I am not a fan of film canisters and I have learned that things with straight sides stand out. Your eyes seem to gravitate towards them because they seem out of place (in nature). So here is my first fix...

Is that a body of a MAG flashlight with stuff on top of it ? Hints please.

I love this thread :)

So here is a micro :D (i know...but there are sometimes that a micro is all that will survive)

Is that a body of a MAG flashlight with stuff on top of it ? Hints please.

Ya. it one of the keychain maglites. The kids broke the flashlight :) so I figured I could use it. I sealed up the one end with epoxy and used some epoxy to put on the sides.

Ive got another one that is a mini maglite that I cut in half (after the kids broke it :) ). I don't have any pictures of it but it is holding up well in the weather.

Needless to say I now hide my flashlights from the kids :P

Ya. it one of the keychain maglites. The kids broke the flashlight :D so I figured I could use it. I sealed up the one end with epoxy and used some epoxy to put on the sides.

Ive got another one that is a mini maglite that I cut in half (after the kids broke it :) ). I don't have any pictures of it but it is holding up well in the weather.

Needless to say I now hide my flashlights from the kids :P

Maglites have a lifetime guarantee. You could have had them replaced.

:)

Ya. it one of the keychain maglites. The kids broke the flashlight :) so I figured I could use it. I sealed up the one end with epoxy and used some epoxy to put on the sides.

Needless to say I now hide my flashlights from the kids :D

Maglites have a lifetime guarantee. You could have had them replaced.

:)

They have a lifetime guarantee against manufactures defects....not kids :P

( Mag Instrument, Inc. (Mag) warrants to the original owner that this flashlight is free from defects in parts and workmanship)