Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I have found (and I'm new at this) a fake sprinkler head, a pine cone hollowed out, a reflector, just a small round reflector with a magnet on the back and a log glued to it, a micro the size of my small finger nail, a plastic plant with a bison glued to the bottom (you have to pull up the plant to find the bison tube), a plastic container inside a log thrown at the edge of the woods...

Ones I did not find, include a hollowed out bolt I know is there but have yet to find, on an ENTIRE SET OF BLEACHERS!!! A fake rock was missing in the pile of rocks. It was later confirmed to be missing. And many other micros in my area I haven't yet identified. My area seems to be the capitol of micros. And tough micros at that. There are way too many here that are called "Evil micro" numbers one through a million. There is even an evil ammo box hide. I found that one at least.

Why do people insist on being evil about this? As a newbie it can be frustrating. I guess it's for those who have been around forever and need a challenge.

I still love a good ammo box in a stump in the woods. My idea of a good time.

So to even the odds a little, since I'm so new at this still, I looked up "geocaching container" on ebay. There are tons of containers there to check out. I would not have found the magnetic reflector if it wasn't for that.

There's quite a few on websites too. I obviously have not found them all yet, as there are many micros here that I haven't found yet. Well maybe after I've logged a few thousand and need a challenge?

We really like the bigger caches, too, and find that we need to head to the local parks to find those. We live outside of Nashville, Tn, and this area is ripe for beautiful parks to hike in that are filled with hundreds of caches. You could do a pocket query, too, and try to sort it for bigger caches. Have fun! ;)

Well, when I was in Chicago I found this great pinecone cache. I am now in Florida and we have these very large pine cones. I disassembled 3 and glued them to a pill bottle. I hid it under a pine tree:) Should be fun..

My question is this considered a traditional cache and is the difficulty 3 about right?

:ph34r:

Thanks. Geocache Pinecone

Neat hide. Watch out though, those sqirrels might geostash it!

EDIT:

From our modest experience, a 3 sounds about right.

Edited by rudolphs

For urban camo, we took a bison tube and combined it with various hardware lying around the house (electrical clamps, washers and nuts) and a magnet and then painted everything to match...

m0.jpg

m1.jpg

And here is a recent "small" we created in a nice park. The top is epoxy putty with dirt "glued" on. The base in the ground is a PVC pipe coupler. It was placed over a low hanging branch so no one would be able to easily step on it...

c7.jpg

c71.jpg

Edited by daschpeeg

Not to be a Gloomy Gus, but the last cache with the dirt...doesn't that violate placement guidelines?

According to the guidelines:

"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

None of those things are required to obtain the cache nor were they used when it was hidden.

Edited by daschpeeg

Not to be a Gloomy Gus, but the last cache with the dirt...doesn't that violate placement guidelines?

Looks to be in a crevice on top of a branch with dirt packed in around the base of the cache. If so, no violation.

Gopher hole. You can clearly see the gopher peeking up from the dark recesses if you load it up into Photoshop and run an Edge Enhance filter followed by some Gaussian Blur. Cute li'l guy, at that. I think I'll name him, "Gloomy Gus"

Here is my latest one

frog1.jpg

frog2.jpg

The frog is glued to the leaf and a wire passed through the leaf and impaled into the frog belly. The bison tube is attached to the wire.

The bison tube will be pressed into soft ground or a hollow tube will be pressed into the ground for the bison tube to slide into

Edited by bittsen

This one surely violated the rules of "burying a cache"...

A bucket in a hole doesn't necessarily equate to a guidelines violation. So long as no pointy thing was utilized to create the hole, it's probably within the guidelines. I know of a few caches that are in holes, which were already present when the cache was placed. All the hider had to do was push some dirt/leaves/etc around to fill the gaps around the cache. That being said, having a cache like that might not be a good idea, as a finder might locate it and decide to replicate the idea, using a shovel instead of just finding an existing hole. Land managers frown at stuff like that.

Completed container ready to go into the field:

When opened, a CD is ejected by spinning rubber rollers. The CD has a recording of the coords to the next stage. When done listening to the CD, the cacher flips a switch, which reverses the rollers, and allows the CD to be put pack. A limit switch at the top edge cuts the power when the ammo box is closed, therefore giving the battery a long lifetime in the field.

78b3c5d3-6d90-456f-97e5-edf05401fc5d.jpg

We hope to avoid a bomb scare by clearly marking the container as a geocache.

When opened, a CD is ejected by spinning rubber rollers. The CD has a recording of the coords to the next stage. When done listening to the CD, the cacher flips a switch, which reverses the rollers, and allows the CD to be put pack. A limit switch at the top edge cuts the power when the ammo box is closed, therefore giving the battery a long lifetime in the field.

So you would have to have a CD player with you to hear the next co-ords? I assume there is no speakers in the cache?

Really cool idea though!! I like it!!

I'm a software/hardware nerd, and would love to do something on the order of http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~nick/d...uzzle-geocache/. The main issue I see here in upstate New York is the weather - batteries wouldn't last very long at all outdoors. And the build cost would likely be in the neighborhood of $100 USD so muggling would be a concern. And so many people are ignorant of electronics that I fear the gizmo would fall victim of the bomb squad. I still intend to do something, but it will probably be taken to a geocaching event under controlled conditions.

I have been working on something like the CD cache above. I took an old CD player out of my car and put it into a bat house. The pos. and neg. wires are attached to the bolts that hold it on a wooden post. You would just pull your car up to it, throw on some jumper cables. and us a stick to push the eject button. Listen to the CD, put it back in, unhook, and head to the final. It has been out for around a year and I have never made the audio CD or placed the final. I guess you could say it is being field tested.

Useless CD player + scrap wood + a few bolts = very minimal build cost! :D

So you would have to have a CD player with you to hear the next co-ords? I assume there is no speakers in the cache?

Either the cacher has to bring a CD player, or they can go to an an additional set of coords to use a Walkman that is installed in a tree and running off a solar pannel.

And why did you not just put the cd in a case, then have them listen to it?

Whats the fun in that? :D If you can make it unnecessarily cooler, then by all means do so!

I'm a software/hardware nerd, and would love to do something on the order of http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~nick/d...uzzle-geocache/. The main issue I see here in upstate New York is the weather - batteries wouldn't last very long at all outdoors.

We have a whole nightime multi based on electronic mechanisms and such. I found a cheap and hackable little solar walkway light ($3) at Target. It returns a voltage of 1.5 V, which is the same as a normal AA, AAA, C, or D battery. This makes it perfect for powering small devices. You could power an Arduino (used in the project at that link) or related microcontroller off of three or four of these lights.

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

THis is AWESOME!!!

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

THis is AWESOME!!!

I agree. The dog looks almost alive!!

Well, I took the plans for a cryptex cache container posted here, did some modifications, and came up with one of my own. I did it all with hand tools...I dunno, it seems more satisfying to me...enjoy:

cryptex.jpg

Looks really nice. What mods did you use compared to the other? I hope you didn't accidentally post the answer in your pic!!! :blink: Other than that, it looks sweet!

Looks really nice. What mods did you use compared to the other? I hope you didn't accidentally post the answer in your pic!!! :blink: Other than that, it looks sweet!

OK, on topic... that is very nice work! I want to find one like that!

Oops! I forgot to add:

"Brilliant!"

Thanks for the compliments, folks. I really appreciate it. As far as the cryptex pic, I did move it to spell a word, but it is not the word you need to open it. :shocked:

The modifications I did were using a slightly larger PVC pipe for the moving rings, PVC caps for the ends and an epoxy made for plastics to hold the stationary rings instead of screws.

Thanks for the compliments, folks. I really appreciate it. As far as the cryptex pic, I did move it to spell a word, but it is not the word you need to open it. :)

The modifications I did were using a slightly larger PVC pipe for the moving rings, PVC caps for the ends and an epoxy made for plastics to hold the stationary rings instead of screws.

Thank you for the info!

This is a working proto-type that I am working on. When you pass a magnet past the logo, the cache will drop out like a vending machine. Once signed the cache can be place back in the top, via a one way hole. I was thinking of making it some sort of puzzle cache. The interior needs some work, and some better adhesive than hot-melt. In due time.

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

:rolleyes: OK guys, pm about them and keep things on topic. ;)

Yeah, except I really think that anyone who sees them really needs to know just how "against the guidelines" they are.

I hope they were posted as a joke to generate angst.

We need to know if it was public property or private property they were hidden on. If it is private property, done with permission, then I see no issues at all. None, like in zip. Public, another matter.

Is there anyway you can get a bigger picture so we can see the inside of the can? I am interested in how you rigged it up inside. Maybe a few bigger pictures would be nice! :)

This is a working proto-type that I am working on. When you pass a magnet past the logo, the cache will drop out like a vending machine. Once signed the cache can be place back in the top, via a one way hole. I was thinking of making it some sort of puzzle cache. The interior needs some work, and some better adhesive than hot-melt. In due time.

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

Love the concept of this one. 2.gif

Just want to bounce this off some people...I have fashioned camo for a cache that looks like a curled up (non-poisonous) snake. I am somewhat hesitant to place this. What do others think?

Probably not a good idea...IMHO.. :D

I live in Arkansas where snakes are common place.... I say..... go for it.... I would

Just want to bounce this off some people...I have fashioned camo for a cache that looks like a curled up (non-poisonous) snake. I am somewhat hesitant to place this. What do others think?

Probably not a good idea...IMHO.. :D

I live in Arkansas where snakes are common place.... I say..... go for it.... I would

I like it too. There is a series of about 16 caches in Illinois all hidden by a Mr. No Legs. All involve the use of a fake snake and are a really nice change from the typical matchstick or plain decon container that is common around here.

Is there anyway you can get a bigger picture so we can see the inside of the can? I am interested in how you rigged it up inside. Maybe a few bigger pictures would be nice! :D

Well, the inside looks like a birds nest with all the wires, so here is a fairly clear schematic of sorts:

ebefce90-a4e6-44bf-9483-4f2f8ddbe29a.jpg

Assume that any two wires that cross on the schematic are not acutally connected, unless they cross at the terminal of another part.

Hope that helps. The gray switch on the side of the CD mechanism is open (off) when the CD is in, and closed (on) at all other times. If you look carefully, many CD players have a switch like this already inside.

Good luck!

This is a working proto-type that I am working on. When you pass a magnet past the logo, the cache will drop out like a vending machine. Once signed the cache can be place back in the top, via a one way hole.

Incredible! Does this use a magnetic switch of the burglar-alarm type, or a homemade verison? Very cool!