Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

We have a multicache with a few interesting containers...

1. A hollowed out brick

2. A hole drilled in a tree, with the bark used to make a plug for the hole with cache inside. It is nearly invisible, even from 3 feet away, even when you know exactly what you are looking for.

3. A huge machine bolt (5" long, 1" thick) that was screwed all of the way into a tree, above head hight. You had to get the right sized wrench, unscrew it for about 20 minutes, retrieve the micro from inside the bolt, and then put it all back, including screwing it all of the way back in. The challenging part was that there were several of these bolts in the tree (each required a different wrench), and only one had the cache in it. Naturally, cachers started with the lowest bolt because it was easiest to reach, and it just so happened that the one with the cache in it was the highest. :):D:D

The average completion time for this multi, including all 6 stages, was about 9 hours.

:rolleyes::D;):D:D:D:):)

That actually rather bothered me, too, to be honest.

1. A hollowed out brick

2. A hole drilled in a tree, with the bark used to make a plug for the hole with cache inside. It is nearly invisible, even from 3 feet away, even when you know exactly what you are looking for.

3. A huge machine bolt (5" long, 1" thick) that was screwed all of the way into a tree, above head hight. You had to get the right sized wrench, unscrew it for about 20 minutes, retrieve the micro from inside the bolt, and then put it all back, including screwing it all of the way back in. The challenging part was that there were several of these bolts in the tree (each required a different wrench), and only one had the cache in it. Naturally, cachers started with the lowest bolt because it was easiest to reach, and it just so happened that the one with the cache in it was the highest. :):D:D

The average completion time for this multi, including all 6 stages, was about 9 hours.

maybe hes the fred west of the tree world - takes pleasure from killing trees. I'm sure it says in the guidelines that a cache should not cause damage, now if your drilling holes in a tree and risking killing the tree I would define that as damage

Edited by Munkeh

1. A hollowed out brick

The overload of words to describe the stupidity of this damage is overwhelming. All to (ahem) "challenge" some geeks with a GPS?

I'm sure the Geocaching gawds are cringing with this cache.

1. A hollowed out brick

3. A huge machine bolt (5" long, 1" thick) that was screwed all of the way into a tree, above head hight. You had to get the right sized wrench, unscrew it for about 20 minutes, retrieve the micro from inside the bolt, and then put it all back, including screwing it all of the way back in. The challenging part was that there were several of these bolts in the tree (each required a different wrench), and only one had the cache in it. Naturally, cachers started with the lowest bolt because it was easiest to reach, and it just so happened that the one with the cache in it was the highest. :D:D:D

B):):D:D:D:):):)

The overload of words to describe the stupidity of this damage is overwhelming. All to (ahem) "challenge" some geeks with a GPS?

Don't worry, these trees had already been chopped down by a lumber company and then abandoned because they were not thick enough (this was pretty sad, because a whole section of woods was wasted). The one with the bolts in it was cut but fell into the crotch of another tree so that it was leaning. Sorry for not clarifying earlier.

Edited by rudolphs

Small bison tube I covered with marine epoxy, magnetically held to a rock, and painted like the rock:

rock-bison1.jpg

rock-bison2.jpg

When I saw a nearby cache was missing its bison tube again, I designed this new one to replace it. But the CO archived the cache. So now I can decide where I might want to do this. It could turn up most anywhere.

Here is a cache I just finished making out of an English walnut. Hope the squirrels stay away!

In a nutshell :D , that is just plain EVIL!!

hopefully the squirrels don't muggle it and yes that is very evil

They will probably break the guidelines and bury it! :anibad::anibad:

Awwwww, nuts! :) Guess its time to add a new tool to my TOTT arsenal:

nut-cracker-and-walnut.jpg

Edited by knowschad
Here is a cache I just finished making out of an English walnut. Hope the squirrels stay away!

100_1093.jpg

In a nutshell :P , that is just plain EVIL!!

Cor!

I just set aside several walnut halves a couple weeks ago for this very thing. Well, looks there's the proof of concept right there.

I'd use a hanger, I have several for Christmas ornaments which are the very thing, to hang in a bush. This has me thinking, too, as there's a village near home with not a single cache in it and a nut themed cache series would be perfect.

At the moment I'm finishing the camo paint on an ammo can, done in leaf patterns. Will try to post a photo this evening. Cutting out leaf patterns in heavy paper for stencils and overlaying them is simples, but takes a few days to get it all done. It's looking very good so far.

(walnut cache)

Keep us up to date on how well that holds up in the wild.

I love this thread. There are a lot of creative people out there. One thing I notice, though, is many of the caches look a tad on the fragile side.

Just one more reason to keep eating those walnuts and keeping spares :P

Yeah, not to mention they are tasty.thumbsup.gif

Caulk! That is what I used on my two. Leave it open to dry. Then close it with a piece of wax paper in there for a few days and test to make sure it will not stick closed. I know it stinks to wait but it is better for you to pry it open than a FTF!

By the way, I still have the two in the house and have for over a year now. Both local libraries were not game with the idea. I have found three of them and they all got me into libraries that I would have other wise never visited.

100_1093.jpg

Cor!

I just set aside several walnut halves a couple weeks ago for this very thing. Well, looks there's the proof of concept right there.

I'd use a hanger, I have several for Christmas ornaments which are the very thing, to hang in a bush. This has me thinking, too, as there's a village near home with not a single cache in it and a nut themed cache series would be perfect.

At the moment I'm finishing the camo paint on an ammo can, done in leaf patterns. Will try to post a photo this evening. Cutting out leaf patterns in heavy paper for stencils and overlaying them is simples, but takes a few days to get it all done. It's looking very good so far.

What was used to hold the two parts of the nano in place?

100_1093.jpg

Cor!

Two part epoxy. I made this the hard way though. I cracked the nut open very very carefully (ate the contents), cleaned out the remaining stuff that you can't eat, rubber banded the shell back together, drilled a hole in the large end, mixed epoxy and poured it in using one of my wife cake decorating tips (she gave me permission to use it), after epoxy had set I used my band saw to cut it back open along the seem (should have used it the crack the nut open), used my Dremel moto-tool to hollow out were the nano container would go (made the holes larger than log container so I could realign the halves) , took more epoxy and added it in the holes I just created, put some Vaseline to the threads of the nano and replaced cap (so cap would not be clued on), stuck the nano in one side, applied a heavy coat of Vaseline to the other side of the shell so the halves wouldn't clue back to together, put the pieces back together, rubber banded to keep them in place until epoxy cured, unscrewed the nano and WhoaLa! I have a devious micro to hide.

Might do the same thing to a golf ball. :lol:

As far as durability, I think it will hold up pretty well. I know that natural materials decay after time but if I coat the outside with a varnish or polyurethane it will last longer. It's solid as a rock so it's not as fragile as one might think, and quite heavy too. If I can keep the squirrels away from it it should last a few years. I haven't looked for a place to hide it yet so there is a chance I might be adding a hanger using a eye screw with a tree ornament hook. I didn't want to go that far until I figure out where it will be placed.

EDITED to add: I had to thin the epoxy with denatured alcohol so it would pour easily into the shell. If you look closely you can see the layers of the 4 batches of epoxy I poured in the shell. The 5 minute stuff curse too fast to make it in one shot.

Edited by The Ravens

100_1093.jpg

Cor!

Two part epoxy. I made this the hard way though. I cracked the nut open very very carefully (ate the contents), cleaned out the remaining stuff that you can't eat, rubber banded the shell back together, drilled a hole in the large end, mixed epoxy and poured it in using one of my wife cake decorating tips (she gave me permission to use it), after epoxy had set I used my band saw to cut it back open along the seem (should have used it the crack the nut open), used my Dremel moto-tool to hollow out were the nano container would go (made the holes larger than log container so I could realign the halves) , took more epoxy and added it in the holes I just created, put some Vaseline to the threads of the nano and replaced cap (so cap would not be clued on), stuck the nano in one side, applied a heavy coat of Vaseline to the other side of the shell so the halves wouldn't clue back to together, put the pieces back together, rubber banded to keep them in place until epoxy cured, unscrewed the nano and WhoaLa! I have a devious micro to hide.

Might do the same thing to a golf ball. :lol:

As far as durability, I think it will hold up pretty well. I know that natural materials decay after time but if I coat the outside with a varnish or polyurethane it will last longer. It's solid as a rock so it's not as fragile as one might think, and quite heavy too. If I can keep the squirrels away from it it should last a few years. I haven't looked for a place to hide it yet so there is a chance I might be adding a hanger using a eye screw with a tree ornament hook. I didn't want to go that far until I figure out where it will be placed.

EDITED to add: I had to thin the epoxy with denatured alcohol so it would pour easily into the shell. If you look closely you can see the layers of the 4 batches of epoxy I poured in the shell. The 5 minute stuff curse too fast to make it in one shot.

Thanks! Did you consider or try using magnets to hold the cache together?

This is an awesome idea and would love to "borrow" it. :D

Cammo boxen in the works

cammo3.jpg

Leaf patterns are simply symetrically cut in heavy paper. I layer them until it looks about right.

GREAT JOB ! How Did You Get The "Geocache Game Piece" On? Decal ( From Where ), Template ( Did You Make It ), Or Maybe Computer Printed ?
Its a stencil that you can buy online.

Ooh, I like that. I was fiddling with doing a camo'd ammo can and I went around gathering actual leaves/weeds to use for patterns. It works well.

I've also been making my own stencils but it's a labor of love. I'd much rather buy a set that someone ELSE went through the labor to make. Makes me wonder why I never bothered to google it myself :P Thanks for the link!

This is an awesome idea and would love to "borrow" it. :P

I had a nut out there for about one and a half year until I archived it because too many cachers rehid the cache in the wrong place.

Two neodymium magnets inside the nut kept the nut closed and held the nano in its place.

One neodymium magnet in the tree held the nut (which I camo-painted ivygreen) fixed on its exact right spot.

Exact right spot?

Yes, within the cachelisting I made an loop animated gif, showing the hiding place of the nut for 5 hundreds of a second and then showing the view from the hill where I hid it for a minute, .05 secs hiding place, one minute view and so on.

It was a traditional rated three stars difficulty cause even when standing within a few feet of the cache you wouldn't recognise it in plain sight.

Greetz Bloodwoosj.

PS, though you will probably not be able to read the logs (Dutch), the cachelisting is in English and the animated gif is still visible too. GC18MNG The (un)natural was located in a natural environment upon a small hill with view on an unnatural chemical-factory.

This is an awesome idea and would love to "borrow" it. :P

I had a nut out there for about one and a half year until I archived it because too many cachers rehid the cache in the wrong place.

Two neodymium magnets inside the nut kept the nut closed and held the nano in its place.

One neodymium magnet in the tree held the nut (which I camo-painted ivygreen) fixed on its exact right spot.

Exact right spot?

Yes, within the cachelisting I made an loop animated gif, showing the hiding place of the nut for 5 hundreds of a second and then showing the view from the hill where I hid it for a minute, .05 secs hiding place, one minute view and so on.

It was a traditional rated three stars difficulty cause even when standing within a few feet of the cache you wouldn't recognise it in plain sight.

Greetz Bloodwoosj.

PS, though you will probably not be able to read the logs (Dutch), the cachelisting is in English and the animated gif is still visible too. GC18MNG The (un)natural was located in a natural environment upon a small hill with view on an unnatural chemical-factory.

Love the GIF. What a great way to hide a clue!

Cammo boxen in the works

(snip)

cammo3.jpg

Leaf patterns are simply symetrically cut in heavy paper. I layer them until it looks about right.

GREAT JOB ! How Did You Get The "Geocache Game Piece" On? Decal ( From Where ), Template ( Did You Make It ), Or Maybe Computer Printed ?

Bought a couple from Sissy-n-cr

This cache was due as a replacement, which wasn't needed. How can people NOT find an ammo can in about 7 tries over 7 months (and who knows how many DNFs weren't logged?) So it's up for its own post and I have already a couple lonely outposts in mind. :)

Edited by DragonsWest

1. A hollowed out brick

3. A huge machine bolt (5" long, 1" thick) that was screwed all of the way into a tree, above head hight. You had to get the right sized wrench, unscrew it for about 20 minutes, retrieve the micro from inside the bolt, and then put it all back, including screwing it all of the way back in. The challenging part was that there were several of these bolts in the tree (each required a different wrench), and only one had the cache in it. Naturally, cachers started with the lowest bolt because it was easiest to reach, and it just so happened that the one with the cache in it was the highest. :):):D

:):):):):D:laughing::)B)

Do you think a simple apology should be issued?

It offends me when people assume.

I do, but it's been my experience that the type of person willing to drill holes in trees aren't the type to take responsibility for their behavior, so I won't expect an apology. :)

Even if it was a dead tree, cut down by loggers who abandoned it after cutting, as the poster said, waaay back up the page?

Does anyone have an consolidated list of all of the caches and picture submitted to this thread?

Many (if not most) of the pictures that where/are hosted on external sites such as Photobucket are no longer available.

I recall that some one created a "best of" web page with a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

I do, but it's been my experience that the type of person willing to drill holes in trees aren't the type to take responsibility for their behavior, so I won't expect an apology. <_<

Even if it was a dead tree, cut down by loggers who abandoned it after cutting, as the poster said, waaay back up the page?

That's my point. Immediatly after the poster mentioned drilling and "hurting" a tree the topic changed from CCC to bashing a poster for damaging a tree. Then all of a sudden, a logical explanation for the drilling was made and NOT one of the bashers made an apology.

My first instinct was the tree had to have been already downed or dead, but others jumped to incorrect conclusions for the sake of spweing their "tree hugger" agenda. :P

Does anyone have an consolidated list of all of the caches and picture submitted to this thread?

Many (if not most) of the pictures that where/are hosted on external sites such as Photobucket are no longer available.

I recall that some one created a "best of" web page with a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

I think there is a case for not altering logs or stumps out in the world. Generally if it was there before I came along I'm inclined to leave it as it was. If I bring my own hollow log or fake stump with me then it's a different story.

If the log or stump in question is on my land and I wish to invite cachers to find a cache hidden therein, all is subject to change without notice. :lol:

Edited by DragonsWest

I Iike this idea! Can I use it?? :lol:

Yay, Validation! Borrow away! :P

Ironically, tke kids and I were out last weekend, and Thing Two, my 6 year old, found the bark sleeve on the ground, and said "Dad! We can hide a cache in here!" It just so happened that it was a perfect fit, and long enough to cover the cap as well.

The bark around the cap will come off in time, I'm sure, but I covered it all in camo tape anyhow, for added measure.

Thanks

I think there is a case for not altering logs or stumps out in the world. Generally if it was there before I came along I'm inclined to leave it as it was. If I bring my own hollow log or fake stump with me then it's a different story.

If the log or stump in question is on my land and I wish to invite cachers to find a cache hidden therein, all is subject to change without notice. :)

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it had absolutely nothing to do with my question. ;)

Anyway, I found one of the pages I was thinking of on Flickr. But IIRC, some one consolidated all of the pictures on to one webpage at one time. That's the page I would like to find.

Unfortunately, I still can't find the pictures for some of the earlier containers in this thread.

For example: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...421&st=150#

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...421&st=400#