Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I sent him a separate email besides the submittal form.

It included this picture of the track with trees growing in the middle of it.

spike%202.jpg

So did this one get turned down due to proximity issues?

That picture looks awfully familiar. I think it is near a stage of a Mystery Cache.

Oops, never mind, I see that you are in Baton Rouge and not New Awlins.

Edited by Roland_oso

Here's another one I've done recently. I think this idea has been used quite a bit, but there may be some new angles on an old theme.

First, let me say again, the cache was published by our reviewer. Let's please not bother discussing 'digging', it's location, guidelines, etc. As noted by several people previously, this is not the place for it. There were no sharp objects used, any private property is used with written permission, etc. Please don't go there......

So, a pretty realisitic looking Aloe Vera plant, purchased from Hobby Lobby for under $10 bucks, a little fast drying clay, a bit of plumber's epoxy mix and a 99 cent plastitic container created this:

Cactus3.jpg

Another view:

Cactus2.jpg

I then inserted (no sharp object needed) a 2" pcv pipe into loose dirt in a planter:

Cactus4.jpg

And, the finished cache:

Cactus5.jpg

This one has scored several dnf's, though it doesn't seem that difficult to me. The brown clay base shows fairly clearly in the pot, and doesn't look like real dirt. Also, the plant definitely feels plastic to the touch. I think the reason it's been dnf'd several times is that there are a LOT of 'typical' hiding places within 10'. I picked that spot on purpose, because there are several commonly used items including rock and metal (sign) that are quickly presumed to be the cache.

I had someone that is a non-cacher look and he found it in less than 5 minutes. Personally, I like to try to capitalize on the 'geo-sense' and try to throw the more experienced cachers off the scent.

That's an appropriate and evil hide. I'd probably get a DNF on it, but I like it!

You would get a DNF on it? Don't you regularly start yanking out vegetation whenever you get stumped?

(just kidding and was in no way an indication that I think you cache this way. It was humor, nothing more and not personal. Please don't take it personally. :o )

Below is a cache I placed as a memorial for our daughter. I cut a slab off the top of the stump to make the lid then I hollowed the log out with my chain saw. I then placed two dow pins in the lid and drilled out matching holes in the stumps base so the lid would stay put. It's big enough to fit a .50 cal ammo can in it. The stump weighs about sixty pounds. I carried it about a mile untill I found the most peaceful spot I could find.

142031_1100.JPG

That's really awesome. The memorial and the story of taking it in to the woods and the cache container itself.

haha, these are all truly AMAZING! i've only started and just been lucky enough to find tupperware containers. tempted to start hiding my own (not tupperware) caches, but do you think some of these are just a bit mean? <_< i mean, is there a point when you go and make one that's just too hard to find?

Edited by Jeannine"

:lol: If you're looking for some kewl caches - we found an awesome Cache Hider in Jax, FL. The Stressmaster has some awesome hides, such as "Do Bears ___ in the woods?" (Sorry, I wasn't sure how to upload the pix) And, I think we answered the question... <_<

His caches all begin with "Stresshouse..."

They accually sh.t on the roads :anibad:

A friend of mine that knew I was into geocaching came across Baby Soda Bottles on a website:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/003903.php

Apparently they are the plastic pop bottles before they are heated and stretched out...waterproof and very strong.

Anybody ever try them?

yep, they're great. Though I have had a couple of cachers say they do look suspicious when cammo'd. I use a paint primer (spray can) with the lid screwed on and then use the colors I want to cammo it with. If you don't prime it first, the finish colors will peel right off the plastic.

Here's one I just finished working on. I discovered these plastic pill containers at a drug store for $2 each, so thought I would give it a shot.

This one is sanded, then soaked in EZOff oven cleaner before being painted. The finish is Exel speckle tone granite paint, then covered with 2 coats of clear urethane. It is about to be deployed to replace a 35mm film can I have in the field.

DSCF6676.jpg

I like the paint job but would like to know why the choice of EzOff oven cleaner over something like alcohol?

Just paint it with a primer for plastic. You can buy a can of it and get a lot of caches prepped with just 1 can. Then put the finish coat on, followed by the clear coat. Faster and less toxic.

A friend of mine that knew I was into geocaching came across Baby Soda Bottles on a website:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/003903.php

Apparently they are the plastic pop bottles before they are heated and stretched out...waterproof and very strong.

Anybody ever try them?

yep, they're great. Though I have had a couple of cachers say they do look suspicious when cammo'd. I use a paint primer (spray can) with the lid screwed on and then use the colors I want to cammo it with. If you don't prime it first, the finish colors will peel right off the plastic.

We had an event here in washington called GeoBoo. It was a ton of fun and was a potluck. Someone brought in these soda bottles that had goo with eye balls inside. Really though, I saw them and thought, cool container, picked one up and saw it was a soda preform and stuck it in my pocket. So if you don't want to order those soda preforms online, go check your local walmart for them in the candy aisle...

I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library? One of the logs reads:

We rate this cache a 5 difficulty if you visit on a day Otis doesn't want to play, and a 1.5 on a day he does. We overthought this one last time, and my original hunch was correct. Found this in about 3 minutes on an Otis-friendly return visit.

(OtisPug was the cache owner.)

What the heck are they referring to? :( I must know! :)

I found this one last night: GCY7RM Geocaching Cole Harbour. It was in the reference section of the library and actually had Geocaching in Cole Harbour on its spine! The Morse code gave the Dewey Decimal number for the book.....hilarious!

Netminder29

I don't think the imitation pile of feces is a cool cache container. I think it's stupid and disgusting.

I am apalled that the photo is even allowed on this "family friendly" website.

For all we know it's not really a cache container at all.

I don't get offended easy but this has done it.

I don't think the imitation pile of feces is a cool cache container. I think it's stupid and disgusting.

:(:):)

It's okay, bittsen. Everybody poops.

You can buy fake poo micro caches from at least a handful of retailers that advertise on this site.

That is cool

i made it from a real hornets nest
How are we ever going to teach our children to not play with hornet nests now! They are going to think that every one they see might be a geocache. Sooner or later some kid that is allergic to bees is going to die because you hid that cache!

:( Just joshin'!! :)

Below is a cache I placed as a memorial for our daughter. I cut a slab off the top of the stump to make the lid then I hollowed the log out with my chain saw. I then placed two dow pins in the lid and drilled out matching holes in the stumps base so the lid would stay put. It's big enough to fit a .50 cal ammo can in it. The stump weighs about sixty pounds. I carried it about a mile untill I found the most peaceful spot I could find.

142031_1100.JPG

That's really awesome. The memorial and the story of taking it in to the woods and the cache container itself.

Some fake moss on the top and over the side to conseal the horizontal cut line would make that even better.

Here's a few that I have.  One of 'em is out in the field but I wan't say which.  Locals, pretend you didn't read this.

X

See if you can guess what I do for a living without checking my profile.

X

This last one is my idea for a multi.  A lag bolt into a post will hold one of these for ages!

Sorry for the red Xs. I just pulled the files down because I put those caches out in the field today. Kind of a fine line between sharing ideas and giving them away. I'll gladly email images to non-San Diegans.

If people can't find mine, I send a picture. Then some times, people still can't find them. With Flounder, I had a cacher on site when another showed up. The first guy had found it already. He let cacher 2 look for a bit, then asked if he wanted to see it.

He pointed to it, the 2nd cacher kneeled down looking right at the cache saying 'where'. According to them, he touched it twice still saying 'where?'.

This one ended up with a 4 rating because of the above. The FTF was tipped off by me as I mistakenly left a small label backing strip right by the cache. Otherwise who knows.

I think this may be my favorite thread. These are all so creative and fun. Impressive ;-)

I have a morbid streak so the scary ones will get my attention...these heads - I might have to steal the idea for a sig cannister! Many thinner skinned people might wig out at the bad taste but I am not thin skinned, so if I was traipsing the woods or anywhere and glanced under a fallen log to see a creepy alien head staring back at me, I'd be delighted, get a major kick out of it. Even creepy ghoul heads or skulls...because that initial moment of uncertainty of WTF IS THAT? feels really good *after* you figure out it's harmless.

I guess I'm one of those who just like getting spooked and jolted a little...

Since much of this is a matter of opinion, relative to the subjectivity of the beholder, is there a proper category for the more morbid, macabre or downright ghoulish sorts of hide"not so faint of heart" or those with a better sense of humor? :)

I think this may be my favorite thread. These are all so creative and fun. Impressive ;-)

I have a morbid streak so the scary ones will get my attention...these heads - I might have to steal the idea for a sig cannister! Many thinner skinned people might wig out at the bad taste but I am not thin skinned, so if I was traipsing the woods or anywhere and glanced under a fallen log to see a creepy alien head staring back at me, I'd be delighted, get a major kick out of it. Even creepy ghoul heads or skulls...because that initial moment of uncertainty of WTF IS THAT? feels really good *after* you figure out it's harmless.

I guess I'm one of those who just like getting spooked and jolted a little...

Since much of this is a matter of opinion, relative to the subjectivity of the beholder, is there a proper category for the more morbid, macabre or downright ghoulish sorts of hide"not so faint of heart" or those with a better sense of humor? :)

Even if you paint it red an orange is still an orange.

If it is at the posted coordinates it is a traditional. If you need to solve a puzzle to find it it is mystery/puzzle cache.

Location, size, difficulty, and terrain. There is also a list of attributes you can tag the cache with. Kid friendly or not, poisonous plants, steep climb, livestock, that sort of thing. After that you have the cache description which may or may not hold more information.

Edit to add that there is, to the best of my knowledge, not attribute or rating for "creepy". :)

Edited by GOF & Bacall

We cache with a 3 year old, a 10 year old, and a 4 month old and would LOVE to find a spooky cannister like that in the woods!

Found one about a month ago that had a fake salamander glued to the bottom of the cannister. Scared the bejeesus out of our 10 year old at first, but afterwards we all had a good laugh, including her :)

Something about seeing the 10 year old jump about 4 feet off the ground, literally screaming like a girl, and the cannister flying and then the look on her face when she realized what it was made it a rather unforgettable cache :D

Not sure how original this one is, but it took a bit of time to create and setup. My first - waiting for FTF.

I've never seen one quite like it! I assume that metal band that I see in the top picture is covering a saw cut, and the top part lifts off? How is the pole fastened to the ground? Was it once a real phone pole? Very cool!
Not sure how original this one is, but it took a bit of time to create and setup. My first - waiting for FTF.

I've never seen one quite like it! I assume that metal band that I see in the top picture is covering a saw cut, and the top part lifts off? How is the pole fastened to the ground? Was it once a real phone pole? Very cool!

Yes it was an old discarded telephone pole. I had to search for awhile to find one with a large enough diameter to hold the cache container. The center hole and cut were made with a chain saw, and alot of time... didnt know how hard that treated wood was :) . The total length is about 4 1/2 feet with most of that buried to keep things in place. The metal band, covered with reflective tape, hides the cut and is fastened directly to the lid. Finally I put the GC ID on the outside.

Here's the final stage of a multi-cache I have listed here... GC1YCVT

This is a real stone I found laying in the yard. I carved the "X" using a dremel and a carbide burr. For the plug I used hot melt glue.

X-Marks-the-Spot-1.jpg

For the compartment it was a lot of work using a carbide drill bit and 3/8" carbide ballnose endmill in my hand drill with the rock clamped to a table.

X-Marks-the-Spot-2.jpg

It's been out in lots of rainy weather and the log is completly dry!

Due to the fact that the my cache was archived today, I would like to issue an apology to this forum. I implied that I buried the cache at this location with a pointy object. That is in fact false. There was a depression here and I put the pole inside and kicked sand around the edges, stamping things down. No pointy objects were used and I'm sorry if I gave anyone the wrong idea or if anyone thought I was bending the rules. I have offered to meet the reviewer at the site to verify, or change things as necessary. Thank you.