Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Wow, I am astounded at the negativity in this forum regarding my cache idea. I come out of the wood work once in a while. Look at my post count, look at my join date. You think I wanted to share my idea so that it could be badmouthed? If you don't like it, fine, but there's no need to mock it or speak so negatively about it. Around here people loved it and I was hoping to share the fun.

How about we keep the ideas coming and leave the negativity at the login screen? I think that would be a lot better.

What are you talking about? What item did someone badmouth?

Edited by Knight2000

Wow, I am astounded at the negativity in this forum regarding my cache idea. I come out of the wood work once in a while. Look at my post count, look at my join date. You think I wanted to share my idea so that it could be badmouthed? If you don't like it, fine, but there's no need to mock it or speak so negatively about it. Around here people loved it and I was hoping to share the fun.

How about we keep the ideas coming and leave the negativity at the login screen? I think that would be a lot better.

In the field is much different than in the forums.

In the field people will say they love your cache or they won't say anything at all.

In the forums, you asked for input (simply by putting up a picture) and got the responses. I can't help it if you don't like the input you got.

In the field people will say they love your cache or they won't say anything at all.

In the forums, you asked for input (simply by putting up a picture) and got the responses. I can't help it if you don't like the input you got.

"I hope I never find a cache like this"

Comparing it to grains of rice

Expressing dislike for nano or pico caches

That's not input, its just plain criticism. I'm a long time veteran of forums of all sorts with thousands of posts over the last 15 years. I know negativity when I see it.

I don't mind that people don't like it, and I don't mind constructive criticism.

In the first post of this thread, the poster says "Saw these pics posted in another thread. I love the idea of custom containers. The fav one I found was a log that was split and made into a container. Please post pics or discriptions if you do not have any pics of Cool Custom Cache Containers (ok CCCC's now)"

This is all I hoped to accomplish. Like it or lump it, but even my mom said keep rude things to yourself.

If anyone wants to see what people really thought of this, feel free to read the logs. I know many of these folks personally, and they really did like it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

This is my last post in this thread. I'll keep any further ideas to myself.

Hopefully all the chest pounding is over and we can get back to drooling over Cool Cache Containers.
Since you asked...

Here is a camouflaged beach safe (Witz Keep-It Safe) that I made. I painted it with a white primer for plastics, then used epoxy to glue gravel and dirt to it. It has held up well for a couple years now.

normal_2009-07-01%2009.37.04.jpg

Here's what it looks like when it's hidden.

normal_2009-07-01%2009.42.42.jpg

Hopefully all the chest pounding is over and we can get back to drooling over Cool Cache Containers.
Since you asked...

Here is a camouflaged beach safe (Witz Keep-It Safe) that I made. I painted it with a white primer for plastics, then used epoxy to glue gravel and dirt to it. It has held up well for a couple years now.

Here's what it looks like when it's hidden.

normal_2009-07-01%2009.42.42.jpg

Very nice!!

Below is a cache I placed as a memorial for our daughter. I cut a slab off the top of the stump to make the lid then I hollowed the log out with my chain saw. I then placed two dow pins in the lid and drilled out matching holes in the stumps base so the lid would stay put. It's big enough to fit a .50 cal ammo can in it. The stump weighs about sixty pounds. I carried it about a mile untill I found the most peaceful spot I could find.

142031_1100.JPG

What a beautiful idea. I'm so sorry about the loss of your daughter. We lost a much loved 11 y.o. granddaughter so I know a little bit about how you feel. I sent out a memorial travel bug, but it appears to be missing. :-(

With a cache that small that you could hide it inside a nano I'd personally like to see a little more creativity. I could make a cache that size or smaller myself using a coffee stirrer if I to the time to do it. Why not go to the dollar store and buy some fake insects. Cut the wings off of a plastic fly and glue it on. What you have is the skeleton that could be full of possibilties. I believe my caccoon cache is still on page 39. I had someone else post it for me so locals wouldn't cheat by seeing it in the forums. Its been out for a while now so I don't really care if they see it now or not. We're not all badmouthing you. Its more like cunstructive critism. Some are better at giving it then others. You cache has potential to be so much better then just a tube glued to a magnet fragment. Its up to you to decide if you want to create the worlds smallest cache or something a little bigger then that. Swizzle

As a long time lurker, I feel it is time to add one of my creations to my favourite thread.

We have a kindergartener and a pre-schooler so up until quite recently it seemed that every cupboard door and appliance in the house was childproofed. After a while we got used to them being there so we could automatically unfasten them. However, when friends and family would visit, we were able to get a good laugh when they would encounter one of those tricky contraptions.

Using that as a premise, I sat down with a variety of childproofing locks and designed the following nested locking cache.

Upon opening the ordinary looking ammo can, the finder discovers a stove lock.

childprooflayer1.jpg

After squeezing his way past that one, he encounters the dreaded fridge lock. This style of lock proved to be the most frustrating for many of our visitors.

childprooflayer2.jpg

The clever finder that has pushed his way through that one then comes upon the corner cupboard lock.

childprooflayer3.jpg

Once that little bad boy is unbuckled, the finder uncovers a somewhat familiar pill bottle.

childprooflayer4.jpg

Following a swift push/twist combination, the log book is finally uncovered.

Here is a cross-section showing the nested compartments

Childproofsideview.jpg

As a long time lurker, I feel it is time to add one of my creations to my favourite thread.

We have a kindergartener and a pre-schooler so up until quite recently it seemed that every cupboard door and appliance in the house was childproofed. After a while we got used to them being there so we could automatically unfasten them. However, when friends and family would visit, we were able to get a good laugh when they would encounter one of those tricky contraptions.

Using that as a premise, I sat down with a variety of childproofing locks and designed the following nested locking cache.

childprooflayer1.jpg

After squeezing his way past that one, he encounters the dreaded fridge lock. This style of lock proved to be the most frustrating for many of our visitors.

childprooflayer2.jpg

The clever finder that has pushed his way through that one then comes upon the corner cupboard lock.

childprooflayer3.jpg

Once that little bad boy is unbuckled, the finder uncovers a somewhat familiar pill bottle.

childprooflayer4.jpg

Childproofsideview.jpg

Heh heh, thats a great and evil little cache.

Wow, that is so creative! The finder will have no idea what is in surprise for him/her. I wonder if anyone will complain that an ammo box ended up being a pill bottle. :(

How long did it take you complete it?

... I wonder if anyone will complain that an ammo box ended up being a pill bottle. :(

The cache has been out for over a year (GC1DHMM) and the only real complaints are about the mosquitoes or from people that choose to ignore the recommended trailhead.

The idea fumbled around in my head for quite a while before I actually started construction. I think I spent about 3 nights playing in the garage before finishing it.

Thanks for the nice feedback

... I wonder if anyone will complain that an ammo box ended up being a pill bottle. :(

The cache has been out for over a year (GC1DHMM) and the only real complaints are about the mosquitoes or from people that choose to ignore the recommended trailhead.

The idea fumbled around in my head for quite a while before I actually started construction. I think I spent about 3 nights playing in the garage before finishing it.

Thanks for the nice feedback

I'd hate you for that but it would be a compliment, I promise.

"I hope I never find a cache like this"

Comparing it to grains of rice

Actually, my rice post backfired. I was really trying to counter Bittsen's mocking of your cache. While I would never hide something as small as the one you posted, I highly suspect I'd try and look for it. And if it's rated properly, I'd even promise not to mumble bad words under my breath when I couldn't find it.

Already mentioned but thanks for this cache idea! They do pop apart easily with something rigid. I use Tyvek for all my logs in caches like this. They can get soaked and it won't matter.

sdc12093h.jpg

How do you find Tyvek to be used like this? I'd like to get some but only knew of it being used in products.

Save those mailers from the USPS. If you know someone who works in an office they probably see them a lot. The priority bags are made of Tyvek. You can immerse them in water and they will completely dry out without degrading. You need a pen to sign the log though. I'm trying to think of somewhere to stash this one. It has to be in a place with no muggles, a place that it can be sitting on the ground without threat of lawnmowers but also easy to find.

I found a place for the phone.

Did Something Today I Have Not Done In A While, Bet You Haven't Either. Go Get A Cup Of Coffee, And Start Way Back At Post # 1 In This Topic, And Look At What All Has Been Posted Over The Years This Thread Has Been Around. Bet You Run Across A Few "Fresh" Ideas That You Can Use Now THat You May Have Glanced Over When It Was First Posted. Enjoy ! :mad:

Edited by countryboy210

Did Something Today I Have Not Done In A While, Bet You Haven't Either. Go Get A Cup Of Coffee, And Start Way Back At Post # 1 In This Topic, And Look At What All Has Been Posted Over The Years This Thread Has Been Around. Bet You Run Across A Few "Fresh" Ideas That You Can Use Now THat You May Have Glanced Over When It Was First Posted. Enjoy ! :mad:

I hear ya man. I went through about 10 pages just looking for my caccoon cache back on #1951. Its almost like seeing some of them first the first time. I can't believe I didn't remember all of those. Defiantely worth a trip back through the pages of time. Swizzle

Already mentioned but thanks for this cache idea! They do pop apart easily with something rigid. I use Tyvek for all my logs in caches like this. They can get soaked and it won't matter.

sdc12093h.jpg

How do you find Tyvek to be used like this? I'd like to get some but only knew of it being used in products.

Save those mailers from the USPS. If you know someone who works in an office they probably see them a lot. The priority bags are made of Tyvek. You can immerse them in water and they will completely dry out without degrading. You need a pen to sign the log though. I'm trying to think of somewhere to stash this one. It has to be in a place with no muggles, a place that it can be sitting on the ground without threat of lawnmowers but also easy to find.

I found a place for the phone.

You can also pick up the scraps blowing away from a construction site.

I like to look back through this thread every few months or so. I don't usually read it all, just a quick glance.

Did Something Today I Have Not Done In A While, Bet You Haven't Either. Go Get A Cup Of Coffee, And Start Way Back At Post # 1 In This Topic, And Look At What All Has Been Posted Over The Years This Thread Has Been Around. Bet You Run Across A Few "Fresh" Ideas That You Can Use Now THat You May Have Glanced Over When It Was First Posted. Enjoy ! :ph34r:

Wow! That Was World's Longest Title, I Suspect!! :mad:

I have done that, but its been quite a while. Probably time to do it again. Its a shame that so many of the picture links have since disappeared. That's why I prefer to put all of my pictures on this site in a cache gallery, then link to those.

I wanted to post some pics from some of my event caches from the 4-H Camp Cache Bash, held this past June.

The LPC in the Woods

LPCintheWoods1.jpg

LPCintheWoods2.jpg

I will try to post some from last years event as well, as soon as I can find them!

Boots...

Awesome!

This has inspired me to post another idea. I made this two years ago but it has been sitting in my caching stuff. Now my daughter wants to place it.

169ktpv.jpg

6hkda1.jpg

Whoa? How did you make that?

childprooflayer1.jpg

childprooflayer2.jpg

childprooflayer3.jpg

childprooflayer4.jpg

Childproofsideview.jpg

How much did it cost? :blink:

This has inspired me to post another idea. I made this two years ago but it has been sitting in my caching stuff. Now my daughter wants to place it.

169ktpv.jpg

6hkda1.jpg

To me, it looks like an old wide-mouth Thermos-style bottle. This kind has a wide opening at the top (for stews, soups, etc.), and a plastic liner (to protect the glass vacuum bottle). Once the glass vacuum bottle breaks, it no longer insulates the food well, so you might as well turn it into a cache.

Unscrewing the normal (obvious) lid provides access to the main food compartment inside the plastic liner, with the decoy note.

Unscrewing the bottom provides access to the space where the glass vacuum bottle used to be, between the plastic liner and the plastic sides, with the real log.

What did you make it out of? I looks like it may turn brown after it dies.

It's an awesome camo job for sure!  :P

Nope :) I camo´d it with the stuff which they sell at these model train shops. Predried or so. And they have all kinds to match almost every scenery ;-). Just be careful with the clue. If it is too agressive it might turn brown indeed.

Take a look at this Link. Just to give you an rough idea what´s available.

My Mom is a real nut when it comes to plants and Flowers. years ago I bought her a lawn ornament made from concrete which she wanted to enhance.

We gathered up some moss from a large rock near her home and ground it up using an old coffee grinder. We mixed that with Buttermilk and carefully poured this mixture over the surface of the concrete lawn ornament. Within a few weeks the entire piece was covered with freshly grown and very real moss.

I have since been contemplating this technique for a cache idea I have.

6hkda1.jpg

To me, it looks like an old wide-mouth Thermos-style bottle. This kind has a wide opening at the top (for stews, soups, etc.), and a plastic liner (to protect the glass vacuum bottle). Once the glass vacuum bottle breaks, it no longer insulates the food well, so you might as well turn it into a cache.

Unscrewing the normal (obvious) lid provides access to the main food compartment inside the plastic liner, with the decoy note.

Unscrewing the bottom provides access to the space where the glass vacuum bottle used to be, between the plastic liner and the plastic sides, with the real log.

Yep. I get thrift store containers every once and a while. They make cheap cache replacements for those caches that you find while caching that are damaged in some way. Just spray some paint on and your ready to roll to help a cacher out.

I bought this one and took the glass insulator out and tossed it. It has sat around for two years but we just placed it yesterday. I have a feeling that folks won't take the time screwing the lid back on and the bottom will get cross threaded.

How much did it cost? :blink:

I had the ammo can from other adventures. The child proofing latches were extras that we either didn't use or had taken off of cupboards. The pill bottle was freee from a pharmacy. We replaced those handles other ones when we were getting our last house ready to sell (and I'n to cheap to throw stuff out). The plywood was some scrap in the garage. The only component that I needed to buy was an oak 1x6 at Home Depot.

Now if I included an hourly cost for design and labour as well as a consultant fee to my wife for all of the times I brought it up in conversation...

Here are a couple of pics of an ammo can that I painted recently for a friend. :P

e5b9268b-2b96-4780-9ca6-9baf872877a8.jpg

b3d30601-a46c-48b0-9d3a-74e092906160.jpg

Thats really good! I especially like the butterfly with the geo symbol.

That's really awesome dude!! Whoa one glass of gramps dandilion wine and I'm talkin' like a surfer!! Swizzle

I have been inspired by caches in this topic inside naturally occurring objects; pine cones, acorns, logs, tree stumps and various fruits. I have tried to make my own cache using a pine cone, I couldn't find any large pine cones such as those others have used so had to use quite a small one but I think it still works.

cone%20hiding.jpg

Can you spot it? This is in my garden so it's not actually 'hidden' here.

pinecone%20cache.jpg

A closer look at the cache.

The cache is not yet out there as its not quite finished, the bottom half the the cone rarely stays attached to the top half so I'm trying to develop a clasp that doesn't make it harder to open. It will probably be magnetic.

I have been inspired by caches in this topic inside naturally occurring objects; pine cones, acorns, logs, tree stumps and various fruits. I have tried to make my own cache using a pine cone, I couldn't find any large pine cones such as those others have used so had to use quite a small one but I think it still works.

pinecone%20cache.jpg

A closer look at the cache.

The cache is not yet out there as its not quite finished, the bottom half the the cone rarely stays attached to the top half so I'm trying to develop a clasp that doesn't make it harder to open. It will probably be magnetic.

VERY nice! I was wondering about how the bottom stays attached. You can't simply glue the bottom of the bison tube into the bottom of the cone, for some reason?

Kewl! Once you solve getting the two pieces to stay together, you might look at dimming the glare a bit.

The reflection draws the eyes like a neon sign proclaiming "The Cache Is Here". :mad:

Maybe lightly scour it with steel wool, then paint with matte clear coat? :mad:

And to think that I was about to suggest he spray all the rest of the pinecones with gloss enamel!! :mad: