Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

The best one I saw.....

There was a new cache hidden called "Oh Deer" because of all the deer they saw while placing it. It was getting kinda dark when we went out to see if there was still enough light to go find it (there wasn't). As we driving, my GPS said "Approching destination. On right.". A second later to our right was an actual deer! Now THAT'S a great container! I doubt it would let me sign it though.... The actual container wasn't nearly as cool though...

Well here are some more i made. I plan to glue a rock on the other jar and the tylenol container. So what do you think.

0621091321.jpg

I think the postage is going to be horrendous!! :)

Seriously, Matt... I see that you are a student, which generally means "on a tight budget" as well. I'm concerned about how you have that rock attached... I don't see it staying attached for very long. I do have to admit to being curious about all those Priority Mail USPS stickers, though!

Edited by knowschad

Well here are some more i made. I plan to glue a rock on the other jar and the tylenol container. So what do you think.

0621091321.jpg

This clearly has to be a joke.

And if it ain't, you should also know that using glass jars is generally considered a no-no. Glass has been known to break and I've been known to CITO glass.

I remember seeing a made up shelf fungus cache, any one have pics of it?

ps. A shelf fungus grows on the side of a tree and looks like a plate

Got one in my neck of the woods. No pictures, though, and probably a different neck of the woods (whatever a "neck of the woods" really means!)

Here's my newest one, still no home for it yet, so it's just set up in my back patio, but I'm going out scouting for a home soon. I know the general area I want to put it, just need to get on the ground, do some hiking, and find the exact right spot.

Yup, it's a lap post cache:

LampPostCache002.jpg

The container is a Sterilite locking gasketed container inside the mailbox:

LampPostCache004.jpg

Here's the lamp top:

LampPostCache003.jpg

It's about 6-1/2 feet tall total, and I plan on placing it out in the middle of the woods very far from pretty much anything. Looking to be a 1 difficulty (dur, very easy to find once you get to ground zero), but a 4 terrain. Know one of the neatest things about this lamp post, though? Even though it will be in the middle of nowhere...

LampPostCache001.jpg

...it lights up at night! Solar powered rechargeable battery and an LED light, looks cool! Now to just find it a home. This will only be my second hide, but I'm going for more quality/uniqueness over quantity. I need to go get some pics of my submerged cache for this thread, too.

I remember seeing a made up shelf fungus cache, any one have pics of it?

ps. A shelf fungus grows on the side of a tree and looks like a plate

Got one in my neck of the woods. No pictures, though, and probably a different neck of the woods (whatever a "neck of the woods" really means!)

Do you mean like this one...

shroom.jpg

Do you mean like this one...

Yup. That's the one (but then, you knew that).

I don't recall how he had it attached (and we likely would not go into that here anyway, for reasons of stealth) but in any case, it is not a real fungus. He made it out of fiberglass. It can actually hold some small swag!

I just placed this one this morning. The ruler on the right side of the picture is 12" long.

IMG00161.jpg

The container is a medium sized pill fob inserted into a hold in the branch and secured with epoxy

IMG00162.jpg

IMG00163.jpg

The cache is now about 12' off of the ground in the crotch of a tree. To make things even more interesting the tree grows out of the side of a hill. The slope is about 50 degrees.

This one is getting placed tomorrow or Saturday in a wooded area with a lot of ground cover.

http://www.bittsen.com/images/cache1.JPG

That should be easy to find come winter/fall!

If you can get to it. But, I have a plan. The cover is removable and I have an autumn colored maple leaf cover to replace it with. Though, in that area, the leaves will cover it up in the fall so it may not be needed.

My new lamp post cache, just got published:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/Hon...ostCache022.jpg

That didn't bring up any "pointy objects into the ground" issues when you got it approved?

Nope. It didn't change the landscape, and the cache isn't buried, so it shouldn't be an issue. If I pull it out, it's a 1 inch hole in the middle of nowhere.

Nice! Tell me the lamp is one of those solar powered deals :)

Look about half-way up the page for your answer :P

This is the camouflage from my first cache hide, 20th Anniversary (GCTNC3). It fit in a triangular void under a set of wooden stairs. I archived the cache after the original stairs and the replacement stairs were destroyed, but I thought folks here might appreciate the camouflage.

I do not have any photos of the original hide, but here is a photo of the cache in a similar location. The cache fit the original void a little more snugly. The paint matched the color of the original stairs.

normal_2009-06-27%2013.26.18.jpg

The cache has been removed from its hiding location so you can see it better.

normal_2009-06-27%2013.27.36.jpg

To build it, I cut a triangular piece of 2x6 that fit the void, and then cut a rectangular notch a little larger than the plastic box I used as a container. Next, I covered the notch with sheet metal. After a layer of epoxy, a layer of primer, and a couple layers of color-matched paint, it blended in very well.

There were two voids under the stairs, one on each side. I created a similar triangular wedge for the other side, which completed the camouflage.

The plastic box is not waterproof, but it stayed dry all winter because its location was very well sheltered from the elements.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/Hon...ostCache022.jpg

I really wish all caches would be so easy to spot

Easy to spot, yes, but not easy to get to! It's about a 3/4 mile hike up a gravel road with a total of about 500 feet elevation change, and the last 200 feet of the hike is about 80 feet elevation change with no trail. Figured I would make the search easy as reward for the hike :D Already been found twice, and both people enjoyed it a lot, so I'm very happy with it!

This is the camouflage from my first cache hide, 20th Anniversary (GCTNC3). It fit in a triangular void under a set of wooden stairs. I archived the cache after the original stairs and the replacement stairs were destroyed, but I thought folks here might appreciate the camouflage.

I do not have any photos of the original hide, but here is a photo of the cache in a similar location. The cache fit the original void a little more snugly. The paint matched the color of the original stairs.

normal_2009-06-27%2013.26.18.jpg

The cache has been removed from its hiding location so you can see it better.

normal_2009-06-27%2013.27.36.jpg

To build it, I cut a triangular piece of 2x6 that fit the void, and then cut a rectangular notch a little larger than the plastic box I used as a container. Next, I covered the notch with sheet metal. After a layer of epoxy, a layer of primer, and a couple layers of color-matched paint, it blended in very well.

There were two voids under the stairs, one on each side. I created a similar triangular wedge for the other side, which completed the camouflage.

The plastic box is not waterproof, but it stayed dry all winter because its location was very well sheltered from the elements.

I love that sort of hide!! Well done. Amazing, though, that the stairs went through two iterations since you placed it. I see that you joined in '06. Two sets of stairs in, at most, three years? Hope they fired that contractor!

Amazing, though, that the stairs went through two iterations since you placed it. I see that you joined in '06. Two sets of stairs in, at most, three years? Hope they fired that contractor!
While I was planning the hide, I never saw kids skateboarding in the area. After the cache was published, I started getting comments about them. At first, they were just muggles, preventing people from searching. But eventually, the stairs started suffering a lot of wear and tear. I redesigned the attachment for the cache a couple times, hoping to keep the cache from being dislodged (and muggled), but eventually they destroyed the stairs. The city rebuilt the stairs, and I started rebuilding the camouflage for the new dimensions, but before I was done, the new stairs were destroyed too. There are no stairs there now.

Sure. It's an ammo can.

On a serious note it's gotta be the fake looking stump. Hollow top, square bottom, smooth sides.

I think thats an old cone.

I think its an evil micro. Probably a burdock with a small waterproof scroll log in it. The FTF found it when they got home and pulled it off of their sweater and that explains the 5 DNF's. Swizzle

No, no, no, and no!

0621091321.jpg

In addtion to all the other concerns already mentioned I wonder what the USPS (AKA US Government) guidelines have to say about using their property (the cache labels and incidentally all the priority mail envelopes I see converted to waterproof logsheets that you can't write on) for other then the intended purpose. I would surmise it pretty much equates to theft in their eyes.

0621091321.jpg

This clearly has to be a joke.

And if it ain't, you should also know that using glass jars is generally considered a no-no. Glass has been known to break and I've been known to CITO glass.

Clearly your comment must be a joke. Are you implying you destroy someones cache if it doesnt fit to your guidelines? Im so sick of the "greater then thou geocachers".

the Geo-mafia is gonna get yea becareful!!