Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I'm pretty proud of this multi. My opus is still the Quest for the Holy Grail multi (posted a few pages back...it is GC1K0M0).

I haven't hid it yet, but it will be on the opposite side of the lake from GC1K0M0 The Quest for the Holy Grail. Trying to make my very very small hometown a geocaching destination. I haven't even hid this one yet and am already formulating the next great cache props.

Great job on the execution.

The concept was first used on 12/20/2001, in MA. The cache is called Raiders of the Lost Geocache (GC2DD9) which operates on that principle. You need a staff of a certain height (calculated based on the date and time of day that you'll be seeking the cache), and you determine the coordinates to the cache by seeing the spot where staff's shadow is cast.

http://home.comcast.net/~jennings.dh/geocaching/raiders.htm

Oh man, the staff casting a shadow thing is really cool, but my creation doesn't require that. The back of the Staff of Ra headpiece contains some heiroglypics that I've carved into it and the number associated with each symbol. Inside the Grail Diary the cacher will have to search for the heiroglyphics to determine the coordinates to the Ark. As for being a high priest, well, the Nazi's didn't worry much about that...should you? :D

I'm sure there are probably other renditions of this and other movies that are great, I wish there were lots more. I have way more fun with themed caches than just an ordinary lock and lock under a pile of sticks. That's a part of my reason for being disgruntled about the ALR guideline changes. I like deviation from the norm. My ideas for my Monty Python and the HOly Grail props I thought of on my own, but there may be another like it somewhere by coincidence. For the Indiana Jones props, my inspiration was 1) I'd heard about a famous Indiana Jones series near my brother's home in Charlotte, NC, but hadn't logged it 2) just wanted to do an Indiana Jones multi and these are the only props I could think of that I could create (well, I considered making Sankara Stones <Sivilinga> from Temple of Doom, but decided to maybe wait and create a different multi for that movie. I am gonna try to come up with a boatload of rubber snakes to put around the Ark when I place it in a couple of weeks. I'm still looking for the perfect 'antique looking' container to put the Staff of Ra headpiece and grail diary in. I hate to do all that and then put them into an ordinary lock and lock.

I should note, anyone can do this. Sculpey is available at any craft store and you can make anything with it, then use some spraypaint for added affect.

Edited by WVangler

I am about to hide a couple of these little butes... lightweight floam and part of a 35mm canister... just like the rocks on the side of a rocky river...

b8ee5d2a-3f94-4acf-9924-3dee91ca1b7a.jpg

84839568-7419-4398-9f88-71ccf45c33bd.jpg

dd224ba1-25bc-471b-931a-72061d16e80a.jpg

I thought GC.com would resize them but the blackberry is all I gots right now... these are like .1 oz... Thanks COTG

Edited by Strike Anywhere

:lol:-->

QUOTE(R.O.B @ Apr 20 2009, 07:20 PM) 3909456[/snapback]

I used to have a cache called " Black Beast of Arrrggghhh ".

It got muggled after some stoners decided to make a party spot near the cache and took it.

I finally got around to recreating it.

cec132cb-6d8a-430c-b610-4c19d7e383bd.jpg

45e737e8-b0e5-46d3-90e1-f6acd144fe44.jpg

Dude, that is FREAKING AWESOME! Doesn't matter if you care or not because I'm stealing your idea! :unsure: I'll give you credit on my cache page though ha ha. The lake where I have my Quest for the Holy Grail multi is about a 1000 acre park and it only has 4 caches in it now. I'm gonna place a lot more there and it seems only fitting to have one or twelve more Monty Python themed caches around it.

"I used to have a cache called " Black Beast of Arrrggghhh ".

It got muggled after some stoners decided to make a party spot near the cache and took it.

I finally got around to recreating it. "

Awesome! What kind of glue did you use for the eyes? ( I suspect a few will copy and CREDIT your idea.)

Murfster

"editetited 4 pelling"

Edited by murfster

:laughing:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R.O.B @ Apr 20 2009, 07:20 PM) 3909456[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I used to have a cache called " Black Beast of Arrrggghhh ".

I finally got around to recreating it.

Awesome! What kind of glue did you use for the eyes? ( I suspect a few will copy and CREDIT your idea.)

Murfster

"editetited 4 pelling"

Edited for SPELLING? LOL!!! :laughing:

Here's one I just finished working on. I discovered these plastic pill containers at a drug store for $2 each, so thought I would give it a shot.

This one is sanded, then soaked in EZOff oven cleaner before being painted. The finish is Exel speckle tone granite paint, then covered with 2 coats of clear urethane. It is about to be deployed to replace a 35mm film can I have in the field.

DSCF6676.jpg

I like the paint job but would like to know why the choice of EzOff oven cleaner over something like alcohol?

Here's one I just finished working on. I discovered these plastic pill containers at a drug store for $2 each, so thought I would give it a shot.

This one is sanded, then soaked in EZOff oven cleaner before being painted. The finish is Exel speckle tone granite paint, then covered with 2 coats of clear urethane. It is about to be deployed to replace a 35mm film can I have in the field.

I like the paint job but would like to know why the choice of EzOff oven cleaner over something like alcohol?

EZ Off is caustic, and etches the plastic as much as it cleans. Smaller items and crevices will be etched far easier than sanding the whole thing.

This is my answer to "no room for anything but a micro".

e5a0a44b-341c-4e9f-bf04-d967fa203ec5.jpg

The sticker reads:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

Oh I LOVE IT!!!

What a GREAT multi!!!

wait is it in the locked box?

and where is the combo to the lock.

Cache page, or it may be a puzzle but that will be on the cache page.

After reading each and every page of this thread the creative juices started flowing. This is my answer to a traditional ammo can in the woods. The cache title will be something like This Little Piggy Went…. It was supposed to be placed at a new local BBQ restaurant but a fellow cacher place a micro there before I had a chance to place this one. The problem was, since this place is new, so was the landscaping. There just wasn’t a decent place to hide a bright pink pig without it sticking out like a sore thumb. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions you might have.

pigcache001.jpg

This is my answer to "no room for anything but a micro".

e5a0a44b-341c-4e9f-bf04-d967fa203ec5.jpg

The sticker reads:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

Oh I LOVE IT!!!

What a GREAT multi!!!

wait is it in the locked box?

and where is the combo to the lock.

Cache page, or it may be a puzzle but that will be on the cache page.

Yes, it was a puzzle. It was a fun puzzle too. In the classic, no-permission-required-or-obtained style that used to be the norm. A few players thought they’d make it more fun by moving the books where nobody could find them.

Here is one of our latest. I like to look for places to build a cache for that spot. (Not necessarily look for hidey holes.)

I found a suitable location at a local park. Newbies have a harder time with it. Experienced cachers find it though. (Why do i take delight in DNF's? :lol:)

I found a hole and thought of how to fill it. I used a nylon plug. In the other i end i used tubing (like for aquariums). All from the hardware store. Then i glued the two together. I used a small Tyvek® strip for the log. I taped it to a toothpick to help roll it tighly as it needs it.

kapaaaabh.jpg

japajaabh.jpg

japaiaabh.jpg

Here is one of our latest. I like to look for places to build a cache for that spot. (Not necessarily look for hidey holes.)

I found a suitable location at a local park. Newbies have a harder time with it. Experienced cachers find it though. (Why do i take delight in DNF's? :lol:)

I found a hole and thought of how to fill it. I used a nylon plug. In the other i end i used tubing (like for aquariums). All from the hardware store. Then i glued the two together. I used a small Tyvek® strip for the log. I taped it to a toothpick to help roll it tighly as it needs it.

Playground equipment? I won't look for a cache on or close to playground equipment.

Can you fix the broken image links?

My place of work is indeed blocking that site, thus only I see broken links. I prefer to load images onto one of my archived cache pages and link from there. That way, unless grounspeak is blocked (or down) the images will always show.

Edited by knowschad

Playground equipment? I won't look for a cache on or close to playground equipment.

I never said it was playground eqipment. You suggested playground equipment. I said it was at a park. Besides, discover your inner child and don't be afraid of playgrounds. You have nothing to hide.

Can you fix the broken image links?

Are they working for you now? I see them.

Could it be that you are at work and the images are being blocked? The images are hosted at Bayimg. I wouldn't doubt that somewhere might block images from them. What happens if you put the address into your browser that way?

I never said it was playground eqipment. You suggested playground equipment. I said it was at a park. Besides, discover your inner child and don't be afraid of playgrounds. You have nothing to hide.

It has nothing to do with an inner child. Picture a chubby, middle-aged, balding man at the playground with some electronic equipment trying to act nonchalant. Meanwhile, an over-protective mother is perched on a nearby bench watching her two precious children on the equipment. How long before she calls the authorities on a potential child-molester/abductor? Many of us don't look like we have a reason to be a playground during normal hours.

I recently stopped seeking playground caches for the very reason you describe. I went to a city park for a third time. GZ was in the middle of the playground equipment. I was determinded not to DNF it again. So the fat, balding, middle aged man holding an device was showing a pattern of arriving at this park and wandering around the playground equipment. As I walked away towards the parking area my attention was drawn to the pair of women in the driveway across the street. They were giving me the evil eye and talking loudly to each other about how children aren't even safe in their own neighborhood.

In don't know if they called law enforcement or not because I left immediately.

And yes, I DNF'd it a third time. That one will forever be a DNF for me.

I made one out of a lightbulb!! It is a log only but hey,....it isn't your normal cache container!! Just broke into the end a bit,pulled out the wires and ended up with a hollow spot to put a log!!! Placed it yesterday and got listing published today!!

Let's see some pictures. I have thought about doing one in a light bulb but I have yet to figure out where to put it. My fear is that someone would come along and replace it with a working one. ;)

I made one out of a lightbulb!! It is a log only but hey,....it isn't your normal cache container!! Just broke into the end a bit,pulled out the wires and ended up with a hollow spot to put a log!!! Placed it yesterday and got listing published today!!

Let's see some pictures. I have thought about doing one in a light bulb but I have yet to figure out where to put it. My fear is that someone would come along and replace it with a working one. ;)

Unfortunately I have no pictures for you.....sorry. It took me awhile to find just the spot for my bulb,...but soon enough it came to me!! I am happy with it. Just look out when you are driving to and from work as I do and look for that abandoned house,unused lighted sign etc. I lucked out with mine and placed it with permission on a spot of land that has a non-running antique store on it.

Unfortunately I have no pictures for you.....sorry. It took me awhile to find just the spot for my bulb,...but soon enough it came to me!! I am happy with it. Just look out when you are driving to and from work as I do and look for that abandoned house,unused lighted sign etc. I lucked out with mine and placed it with permission on a spot of land that has a un-operational antique store on it.

8e0d54cb-618e-4b92-9545-945adea761cd.jpg

I disguised this sixty ounce Lock&Lock container to look like another piece of concrete in this pile of concrete rubble. This was accomplished by squirting foam insulation on the exterior, then using a belt sander and gray spray paint. If you want to see this cache container in person you must first solve this puzzle.

I couldn't figure out how to fix the broken link to the image on the original post, so I'm fixing it with this reply. The container itself got muggled and is missing but the cache is still there. Now the container looks like this-

95a7aaac-459a-47f4-b57b-5a1d53ae0484.jpg

On the second one I took a camo taped Lock&Lock a step further by adding artificial ivy. After placing the cache I walked off and came right back to it checking the coordinates and couldn't find it myself for a while!

fake library book

I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library?

We did a fake library book cache, too...actually, it USED to be a library book that was decatalogued. The librarian gave it to us and we hollowed it out and glued the pages to make a box. I wasn't there when she put it back on the shelf and even knowing approximately where it was, it was still hard to find without the exact Dewey number to find it. You can find it at: Gold & Iron

This is still my favorite cache we've ever found! :anibad: We first ended up looking on the wrong side of the aisle. We cracked up when we returned to exactly where we were previously and found it was directly behind us on the first try. Love it! :laughing: We made this one #1,000 for us.

Edited by VirginiaGator

WOW. We are new to geocaching and had no idea how much work the stachers put into this. Kudos to all of you for your creativity and thanks for the ideas on how to find some of the cache. After our first few finds we thought hey this is pretty easy lol, until we came upon some we could not find........ now we know why lol :laughing:

Wow! I definitely have to get my game up to snuff. I think I'll still hide the typical plastic container for most of my caches, but my creative juices are flowing. Stay tuned.

If this gal gets into geocaching, we are all in trouble.

Vanishing Skoda

Good, but change the perspective by just a little bit and it will stand out like a neon truck stop sign on a dark night.

I just found the most clever Cache of my GeoCaching experiences yet the other day. It was a PVC pipe mounted to a telephone pole. I pulled off the cap and looked inside and saw nothing buy some chopped up wiring and said to myself, well... that's not it. But then I noticed a small, excess piece of metal at the bottom of the piping. I gave it a tug and it pulled a string out of the pipe. Something didn't add up so I gave the string a good tug and POP! The top of the piping came off and the "wiring" was indeed the Cache! It was a medium sized twist open/closed container with some old pieces of wiring glued to the top of it. Very clever!

So I was searching through some of the store links from the GC adverts and saw a container that they called a big micro (or something like that). Looked like it was a painted soda bottle cap.

As so often happens when I see stuff (like when I go to craft shows), my first thought was, "I could make that."

So I headed down to the laboritory (I know...sp...but it's almost Halloween!) and let the mad scientist juices start to flow.

This first one is pretty close to what the one on the site looked like except theirs is painted flat black. I cut the bottle off at the lip just below the cap, sanded the bottom flat and then glued on a piece of plastic I cut from the center of the bottle. I glued a little rare-earth magnet inside and then painted the plastic bit silver figuring I'll put it on the base of a guardrail or other silver sign post type thing, hopefully the base will blend in and it'll just look like a bottle cap laying there at first glance.

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

Another method might be to get some of the cheap $2-3 contact lens cases, cut them apart and trim the extra plastic off.

I actually have 2 contact lens types, painted, out in the field. So far, so good. I'll have to go grab a picture of one or two....