Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I am so pysched, I wanted to start a series of caches (not a multi cache). I love arenas, they are my life. The cache area is kind of lame I thought. So I needed some ideas. My friend, Anakarose pointed me to this forum and needless to say I came up with some pretty wicked ideas. i dont want to say what they are right now. Cuz Anakarose might be lurking. She is my test subject. I havent put out a cache on my own before, so I gave her my cords, and told her to go look for it, and if she finds it..then I will know I have done it right and I can complete my series! Im so stoked. I believe I got some evil ideas.

Thanks for the tips. Going to Michaels, and to the Home Depot has helped me big time. I was shocked to find so many ideas at Michaels (a tad pricey, but it was worth it for my first series...and since its such a large series, I minus well go all out) there are a couple easy ones, cuz its really hard to find a good place on arena grounds.

Im really excited! So if any of you cachers are in the Okanagan , you should come check them out. I will be calling them "Making a Dream" and there are 9 stages. They will start in "west kelowna---aka Westside" , then Kelowna and then Vernon. I wanted to do Penticton and Salmon Arm, but there are already caches there :) shucks!

ahf149 :o

Just to be safe:

WARNING ST. LOUIS CACHERS.....SPOILER BELOW:

Well, I did one today that was very interesting and evil. The cache is on a paved trail that used to be a railroad track. On a part of this trail there is an old foundation of a building that was used to make minor repairs on the trains. Just North of this foundation is an old gas valve. Apparently a simple magnetic key case wasn't simple enough for the hider. The cache is actually under the old valve. Pictures follow (hopefully):

IMGP5469.jpg

IMGP5466.jpg

IMGP5467.jpg

You know I have just become a geocacher and I dont know about all of you but my gps on a good day has a accur. of 15 ft. I live in the upstate of south carolina and we have a good number of woods and mountains. so i hardly see 15 ft. its more like 20 to 30 ft. all of the micros in my book need to be in towns and public places. I think its fun going out to try to find a cach not going and hikking a mile or two and not finding anything. Just because some jerk wanted to play a prank and hide a needle in a hay stack. This is suppose to be fun and getting to see some of the sights you would not normally see on the couch. and if people cant find the caches then there going to give up the hunt. is that funny! The sport of geocaching going away just because people dont want there caches found.

You know I have just become a geocacher and I dont know about all of you but my gps on a good day has a accur. of 15 ft. I live in the upstate of south carolina and we have a good number of woods and mountains. so i hardly see 15 ft. its more like 20 to 30 ft. all of the micros in my book need to be in towns and public places. I think its fun going out to try to find a cach not going and hikking a mile or two and not finding anything. Just because some jerk wanted to play a prank and hide a needle in a hay stack. This is suppose to be fun and getting to see some of the sights you would not normally see on the couch. and if people cant find the caches then there going to give up the hunt. is that funny! The sport of geocaching going away just because people dont want there caches found.

Hoooo boy.... where to start?

First off, welcome to geocaching. This is indeed a fun hobby and part of that fun is "getting to see some of the sights you would not normally see on the couch". If you should go on to stay interested in this activity, you will notice that there a wide variety of caches out there. Some will take you to glorious areas, some will not. Some will be exceedingly easy, some will not. Some people like an easy find, some desire more of a challenge.

I suggest that when you decide to go caching, that you look at the difficulty rating on the caches you want to hunt. If you are easily fustrated, do not search for caches with a difficulty rating over 2.

There are many people, that really enjoy the challenge of a cleverly disguised cache. That is what this thread is about. Calling the people who hide such caches "jerks", is more than a bit out of line. :laughing: I for one, appreciate the extra effort that goes into a cleverly disguised cache. If you don't care for unique, inspired hides, there are plenty of easy ones out there. Nobody put a gun to your head to make you search for their cache; you just need to be more selective in the caches you choose to search for. It is that simple.

Hopefully you will stay with this hobby. If you do, you may find that after doing a lot of caches that are all the same, that you will want to try something that was above your comfort level when you began. :blink:

Edited by team moxiepup

NORTH ALABAMA AREA SPOILER ALERT -- IF IN HUNTSVILLE, AL AREA PLEASE BE AWARE OF SPOILER BELOW

While on the way back from Chattanooga this past weekend, we made a few quick grabs in Huntsville, AL. One of the caches had a hint which read "Think back to when you were in the 5th Grade". It was also listed as "Size = Unknown", but a Traditional Cache.

The log was contained in a micro (if not nano) container. However, you did not see this container (or the zip-top baggie it was in) until you opened the outer cache container.

Remember the hint -- "Think back to the 5th Grade" -- that made no sense to me until I spied the camo tape-wrapped object stuck in the bushes. I reached in, grabbed hold, and withdrew not Excalibur, but a recorder (the musical instrument) -- it was a plastic one wrapped in camo tape, and when you took the mouthpiece off, you saw the log container inside. Very unique container. We left our digital camera at home, so we did not get any pictures, and none have been posted to the cache page yet. The cache is GC1M3VD -- placed on 1/25/09, and 6 smilies and 3 DNF's.

We came across this treasure chest yesterday. It was sitting by the street if front of some ones house. So we stopped and knocked on the door to see if they put it out for trash, sure enough. Bingo, its a nice wood chest covered by thin sheet metal. Its going to take a little work, but were going to fix this up for a nice hide. It needs a new bottom and the sheet metal around the bottom is rusted pretty good. But I happen to work at a place that deals with sheet metal all day. So, that will be an easy fix for me. Putting in a new bottom will be simple too.

The way the lid closes, I think it will be easy to put a nice weather seal around the lid.

I am open to suggestions on how to water proof this chest. Any ideas will be appreciated.

TreasureChest001-1.jpg

TreasureChest002.jpg

TreasureChest003.jpg

TreasureChest004.jpg

I will add new photos as the project moves along.

Being dog/cat people, that's going to be the theme for this hide. Going to load this treasure chest full of dog and cat toys. Take one leave one. Also open to ideas on how to hide something this big. I'm thinking its going to have to be a hard find do to its size. So any ideas on how to hide will be appreciated.

Thanks

RedJada

Edited by redjada

I am open to suggestions on how to water proof this chest. Any ideas will be appreciated.

First off, can it be completely dismantled?

If so, do so.

Strip all of the finish off. repair/replace all damaged sections.

Stain or as I prefer burnish the wood and coat with fiberglass resin.

When assembling use silicone II or better yet III on every joint, in every hole and behind all of the hardware.

I wish I could give you an easy way to make a water tight seal between the lid and base but that takes a router and some skill. Not that I'm saying you don't have the skills to do it, but if you do then you also understand what you need to do.

Mrs. FloridaSurveyor has been creating some custom cammoed caches like this one.97222_500.JPG

97222_600.JPG

We are going to hide it amongst oak trees to see if anyone figures it out.

I don't know about you guys, but one of my missions with geocaching, besides find and hiding a lot of caches, are hiding a lot of unique interesting caches. I have several caches out in and around orem and provo in utah where I live, and I am coming out with several new UNIQUE ones this year. I love being creative. If you want ideas for caches, go to the thread "Interesting cache containers" or something like that. THERE ARE A LOT OF INTERESTING CONTAINERS AND STORIES THERE. THere are also some interesting stories on these forums. I have tracked down a lot of interesting containers and I am just finding and coming up with more all the time. THanks, and have a great day! :lol:

Definitely not as cool as many of the containers here, but I am pretty proud of the camo and I felt the need to show it off. I got the container from the camping section at Wal-mart, it was originally clear lexan. I painted it with the Krylon Camo paint.

cache001.jpg

The bottom shows the original clear plastic

cache002.jpg

cache003.jpg

Definitely not as cool as many of the containers here, but I am pretty proud of the camo and I felt the need to show it off. I got the container from the camping section at Wal-mart, it was originally clear lexan. I painted it with the Krylon Camo paint.

cache001.jpg

cache002.jpg

cache003.jpg

i almost bought that container myself at walmart until i started to play with it in the sports department. the hinges(clips) are fragile. not sure if it would hold up outside in the elements for long. a clip even broke in the store.

We were driving home the other day and came across this guy, obviously a cacher, transporting his cammoed cache container to its hiding spot. Followed for a little while but had to turn off. Wonder where he intends to hide it.

Probably under some bridge.

152a7ced-572c-4111-8298-7209272034d6.jpg

I think I found this one. It was loaded with film canisters and only one had the logbook. It took 5 years to reach the bottom. :D

You have to be careful with those sprinkler types. I have seen many of them but they could go against the guidelines. If you have to dig to place the cache that could be considered buried. Just because top is showing does not change that you used a "pointy object" to place it. I would not report it myself but there are those cache police out there that would.

cache003.jpg

FatPants, I love the layering you got on that. I'd be interested in seeing what you could do with an ammo can.

You've got skills!

Now for the container bashing section:

I bought one of those from Wally World, tossed in a few trinkets and threw it in the bed of my truck,

where it bounced around for several months. Without ever being opened, (other than when I filled it

with McCrap), it managed to acquire about a quarter inch of standing water.

This was probably the cleverest container and nastiest cache hide I've ever found (it was a "4" difficulty hide) :D :

You know if I was that cache owner of that cache I would be highly pissed you put these pictures in the forum. You just killed the cache for this owner. I think it was extremely rude.

Jim

Edited by jholly

This was probably the cleverest container and nastiest cache hide I've ever found (it was a "4" difficulty hide) :D :

You know if I was that cache owner of that cache I would be highly pissed you put these pictures in the forum. You just killed the cache for this owner.

Jim

I'll second that!

You will note that I removed the cache id from the quote to provide every one else the opportunity to do so and hopefully protect the cache somewhat.

THANX to everyone one this forum topic!

I'm a nyubee, joined a week ago with my daughter's guidance, and it's been lots of fun. I have spent the past several days working thru these 58 pages of CCC's...enjoying every one of them. It has been a real eye opener.

Perhaps I can eliminate a few of the DNFs on my list.

Maybe even come up with a cache of my own to add to the mix.

My $.02 on the safety/electirical/Darwinism issue: Ya just can't be too careful when kids are involved.

Thanx again and Happy Hidin', fwsiii

PS: When I use the hard drive magnets on a cache, will that affect my computer's performance?

cache001.jpg

cache002.jpg

cache003.jpg

i almost bought that container myself at walmart until i started to play with it in the sports department. the hinges(clips) are fragile. not sure if it would hold up outside in the elements for long. a clip even broke in the store.

No problems with the clips here but those containers leak.... I have had 2 of them out for about a year and they both started leaking pretty early on. Not much but just enough to be annoying and ruin swag.

No problems with the clips here but those containers leak.... I have had 2 of them out for about a year and they both started leaking pretty early on. Not much but just enough to be annoying and ruin swag.

Oh drat, I've bought some of these things as well. :D

I tested one by sinking it in a bowl of water over a weekend and it stood up to that perfectly, but I guess it must be the thermal cycling that it doesn't like. I wont buy any more then and keep my others for caches that aren't too exposed. :D

Enjoying this thread by the way, I've read the whole thing over a few nights. :)

Pinfold

I finally remembered to post this pic of my "Yellow Jacket" cache that is hidden on "Yellow Jacket Ridge."

844c333b-a184-4752-8023-0d7000cfdaa9.jpg

Nearby is "Crapo Creek" and "Barrel Spring" and it's all part of the "Hog Range" - I need to make some creative caches for those names.

That is just awesome ! ! ! I don't know if I would have the guts to place it (fear of muggling), but if I came across that in my travels, I would have an ear to ear grin for the rest of the afternoon - very creative.

cache001.jpg

cache002.jpg

cache003.jpg

Hey FatPants:

Welcome to the forum and I'd like to add my congratulations on a fine camo job. I've used one of those same containers for one of my caches and it's working like a charm through its first New Hampshire Winter. Hope you have similar success.

Oh drat, I've bought some of these things as well. :)

I tested one by sinking it in a bowl of water over a weekend and it stood up to that perfectly, but I guess it must be the thermal cycling that it doesn't like. I wont buy any more then and keep my others for caches that aren't too exposed. :)

Enjoying this thread by the way, I've read the whole thing over a few nights. :)

Pinfold

Pinfold, I couldn't find the the type of container you were referring to. What type is it? Thanks :D

So I was searching through some of the store links from the GC adverts and saw a container that they called a big micro (or something like that). Looked like it was a painted soda bottle cap.

As so often happens when I see stuff (like when I go to craft shows), my first thought was, "I could make that."

So I headed down to the laboritory (I know...sp...but it's almost Halloween!) and let the mad scientist juices start to flow.

This first one is pretty close to what the one on the site looked like except theirs is painted flat black. I cut the bottle off at the lip just below the cap, sanded the bottom flat and then glued on a piece of plastic I cut from the center of the bottle. I glued a little rare-earth magnet inside and then painted the plastic bit silver figuring I'll put it on the base of a guardrail or other silver sign post type thing, hopefully the base will blend in and it'll just look like a bottle cap laying there at first glance.

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

Another method might be to get some of the cheap $2-3 contact lens cases, cut them apart and trim the extra plastic off.

Pinfold, I couldn't find the the type of container you were referring to. What type is it? Thanks :)

Y2kota, it's the cache container FatPants has been showing above. They're blue tinted transparent plastic, possibly polycarbonate. They're made by 'Outdoor Products' and you can by them in Walmart.

Hope that helps,

Pinfold

Edited by Pinfold