Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Here's one I made recently

Did you make the pole and plant it at GZ, or hide the cache in the pole at the site?

I made the pole, and planted it in a spot where it fits in, and where you can park the car. The geocaching.com logo is on the opposite side from where you par the car.

Nice job!

Glad we came before this one :ninja:

Okvalle, you're really doing a great job to fill the islands with caches, now we have to come back! Nice idea.

Thanks mar-elendili

There have been a few new caches sins you visited the Faroe Islands, and there will be even more. I have planned some new caches, and I hope to get as many out as possible before the season starts again.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Glad we came before this one :angry:

Okvalle, you're really doing a great job to fill the islands with caches, now we have to come back! Nice idea.

Lol, knowing me, if i had seen this pic online, and i went for it anyway, i'd have looked in the guardrail first just to make sure that it was there. Then maybe the fence

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Glad we came before this one :D

Lol, knowing me, if i had seen this pic online, and i went for it anyway, i'd have looked in the guardrail first just to make sure that it was there. Then maybe the fence

This is great, I have one similar, but the top is on a pivot, and turns off to revel the bison tube. Great minds...lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Glad we came before this one :D

This is great, I have one similar, but the top is on a pivot, and turns off to revel the bison tube. Great minds...lol

Sweet!!! Now that i know what im looking for when i go for yours Bergie, i know that i'm going to find the cache. Now if i knew which cache of yours it was.........................

I wish I could guarantee the snow here would last three months.

I would build an igloo and dangle the logbook from the ceiling.

Not only would it be a cool cache container but it would be a cool cache container.

Ive seen one made in a Quinzee in someones backyard..

Quinzee might be a Canadian Term, added link to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinzhee

Its certainly much easier to build then an igloo if you lack access to sea-ice :D

7f81c6e5-2a59-4b52-9c93-1970b333ef68.jpg

50b6ef0e-3af1-4fa1-9e61-2533a4038292.jpg

Edited by Juicepig

SPOILER PHOTO FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE CACHERS

For your consideration:

This is the final to "An Evening with Shakespeare" - a Puzzle cache dedicated to geocacher "Muchado" hitting his 2500th find. The cache container is an ammo box.

2008-12-06008.jpg

Very nice attention to detail. At first I was a little taken back that you went through this much trouble to advertise your own 2500th find but then I realized it was a tribute to another cacher. Whoa. Even more cool. Machado must be a good friend.

I hope you've got this one hidden away very carefully.

Very cool! What a nice tribute. Is there a place to put or leave swag/coins?

I loved your pirate cache, too :P You're way creative!!

Unfortunately, I didn't have room to leave coins or TB's. In the cache page it is listed as a "log only" so people don't bring them expecting to have the room (it's listed as a size 1). Muchado was the FTF on my Pirate cache (Nashuan's First Cache); which was my initial introduction to him. At that time he had just over 2000 finds and I couldn't believe anyone had that many.

Since then I have met many great people through this game of ours and have marveled at the effort and ingenuity that many people put into their caches. I really appreciate a memorable cache; whether it brought me to an awesome place, or was a crative puzzle that I finally solved or was an innovative container. I am currently at just over 500 finds and noticed pretty early on how much thought Muchado put into his caches and wanted to give him some recognition for these efforts.

"An Evening with Shakespeare" just got published last night, but I've already had a few customers (including Muchado). I was a little reluctant to post pics of the final, but hope that it will give others ideas to put different kinds of caches out in the wild. I know that I have taken an idea or two from this thread myself.

I wish I could guarantee the snow here would last three months.

I would build an igloo and dangle the logbook from the ceiling.

Not only would it be a cool cache container but it would be a cool cache container.

Ive seen one made in a Quinzee in someones backyard..

Quinzee might be a Canadian Term, added link to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinzhee

Its certainly much easier to build then an igloo if you lack access to sea-ice :P

We don nee no stinkin sea ice. I have a nice snow block maker and a pesticide sprayer that has never been used for anything other than water.

I don't have a photo, so I will describe my cool container to you.

I found it by chance while looking for another cache, which was a fake plant attached to a weighted end sitting on top of a pill bottle in the ground.

What I found was an old red fire extinguisher.

I took it home, unscrewed the top and cleaned it out.

Then, I cut the the aluminum tube in half, which is attached to the top and runs all the way to the bottom.

Next, I drilled a hole through the side of the end of the tube and attached a red bison tube to it and put the whole thing back together.

Needless to say, the fire extinguisher just looks like a giant RED BISON TUBE.

The cache page reads "you are looking for a RED BISON TUBE. If you have not found the RED BISON TUBE with the log sheet, you have not found the cache."

Here's a link to my cache page if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...09-2beeea2848d8

What I found was an old red fire extinguisher.

I took it home, unscrewed the top and cleaned it out.

Then, I cut the the aluminum tube in half, which is attached to the top and runs all the way to the bottom.

Next, I drilled a hole through the side of the end of the tube and attached a red bison tube to it and put the whole thing back together.

Needless to say, the fire extinguisher just looks like a giant RED BISON TUBE.

The cache page reads "you are looking for a RED BISON TUBE. If you have not found the RED BISON TUBE with the log sheet, you have not found the cache."

Here's a link to my cache page if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...09-2beeea2848d8

Funny I have about the same idea. I am going to cut an extinguisher open and make it the cache. It is a 5lb CO2 cylinder and should make a large size cache. I have been debating if I should paint it a color not associated with fire (ie red). I was thinking the GC logo colors. I may give it a go this week. I have access to a machine shop where I might be able to cut O ring grooves and such.

Funny I have about the same idea. I am going to cut an extinguisher open and make it the cache. It is a 5lb CO2 cylinder and should make a large size cache. I have been debating if I should paint it a color not associated with fire (ie red). I was thinking the GC logo colors. I may give it a go this week. I have access to a machine shop where I might be able to cut O ring grooves and such.

Are you cutting it along the diameter and threading it?

Sounds like a lot of work, but offbeat caches do make the hobby and the Found-It logs more entertaining.

Judging from some of the logs for mine, it does seem rather deceptive.

I had one cacher actually email me for a hint, which made it even more hilarious when I got his "DOH!" reply.

Edited by 5BizzyBs

I ran across an interesting container a couple of weeks ago that was placed by a cacher in the area known for his unique and devious hides. It was a multicache that required you to go to WP 1 and pick up a "tool." After locating WP 2 you were to place the "tool" in a hole, blow it up, and as you did the balloon hit a switch that popped the bottom of the cache open. IMHO, genius.

IMGP5298.jpg

I ran across an interesting container a couple of weeks ago that was placed by a cacher in the area known for his unique and devious hides. It was a multicache that required you to go to WP 1 and pick up a "tool." After locating WP 2 you were to place the "tool" in a hole, blow it up, and as you did the balloon hit a switch that popped the bottom of the cache open. IMHO, genius.

IMGP5298.jpg

Sounds like a good cache. But there is no picture there.

Hi,

Quick question here...how do people respond to these hard to find caches? I ask because a cache I recently placed is lightly hidden in a pile of rocks, and the first person who went to look for it complained about the cache being too hard to find (even though it is given a 2.5 difficulty rating and you can park about 20 feet from it).

It is a micro (insert groans here) but makes sense for the area, and does have a log and some small tradeables. The container is a 2 ounce nalgene lexan jar covered in camo tape.

nfa

I prefer this type of cache that takes a little more time and thought work in finding it! The hunters were warned with the 2.5 hardness. When you hide a hard one, you just smirk and enjoy the whining that follows publication.. Just make sure the coordinates are dead on to the best of your ability.

This is my newest. I will fill it with small papers that have ccords on them then camo tape the top shut. When I have to refill it I just remove the camo tape holding the lid shut. It should hold about 100 papers. No money needed!!!

*image removed*

(Instructions available by PM request)

Amazing cache! Where is this dispenser located, or rather, how safe is it?

It's set up like a real machine. A piece in the bottom of the globe that turns when you turn the handle. That had holes for the papers like a gum machine has gum. Then when you turn it the paper eventually falls through a hole and into the area where you get the gum or it this case coords.

Where is the machine located? In the forest, on your property, etc.

Oh!, sorry I have not placed it but probably in the forest in a tree covered with a ton of sticks etc...

Sounds like a lot of work, but offbeat caches do make the hobby and the Found-It logs more entertaining.

I had one cacher actually email me for a hint, which made it even more hilarious when I got his "DOH!" reply.

Well I have a couple of ideas. I could cut just the bottom off and make a PVC container that could fit right inside. I could cut an O-ring groove and seal the bottom with an O-ring so its a press fit.

I work in a machine shop with some pretty talented folks. I am sure that when I do it we will come up with something pretty cool.

I would really love to hide it near a Smokey The Bear sign that gives fire danger for the day. We have one close by but it is a super busy road and no place to hide it that is discreet enough. I will find a place.

Well I have a couple of ideas. I could cut just the bottom off and make a PVC container that could fit right inside. I could cut an O-ring groove and seal the bottom with an O-ring so its a press fit.

I work in a machine shop with some pretty talented folks. I am sure that when I do it we will come up with something pretty cool.

I would really love to hide it near a Smokey The Bear sign that gives fire danger for the day. We have one close by but it is a super busy road and no place to hide it that is discreet enough. I will find a place.

It would be cool to make it so when you squeeze the handle the top comes off.

Here's a recycled Starbuck's tea tin. It's a little longer than The Real Thing , but hopefully from twenty feet away it'll fool some folks. :antenna:

193756_200.jpg

193756_300.jpg

Hi Could you tell me how you made this one? thanks

GOD Bless you all

Bethandken

Supplies:

- metal tea tin. I bought a "Republic of Tea" canister from Starbucks. Whole Foods grocery store also sells them. Wash it out really well, using bleach to remove the tea odor.

- a real can of coke to use as a model

- coarse sandpaper

- 1" wide masking tape

- X-acto knife

- red spray paint

- yellow paint, spray can or applied with a brush

- black and silver sharpie markers OR metallic paint pens. White paint pen (available at art supplie or stationary stores) or fine lettering brush and white paint.

- pencil

Instructions

Step 1 - Paint the can red:

- Remove label from tin. The tea tin I used had a paper label. The tin itself was shiny silver.

- place a strip of tape running the length of the can. Using an X-acto knife or razor blade cut the tape to resemble the silver curved lines underlining the words "Coca-Cola". remove excess tape.

- use thin 1mm strips of masking tape to mask off the box surrounding the nutrition information and the barcode. (Mask off all of the silver bits of the can, except the small lettering.

- use sandpaper to dull and rough the suface of the tin.

- apply 2 or 3 coats of red spray paint. Allow each coat to dry overnight.

Step 2 - Add Coca-Cola style logo

- Make a template of the word "Geo-Cache" in the Coca-Cola style font, in the approximate size of the can. I found a free font online called "Loki Cola" which allowed me to see what "Geo-Cache" would look like in the Cocal-Cola font. You could also doodle the word or use the picture above as a guide.

- Place two parallel strips of masking tape lengthwise, and 1-1/4" apart, to serve as a guide for your lettering. Position the strips right above the curved line of masking tape from Step 1.

- Pencil in the lettering

- Use white paint pen or fine brush to paint on "Geo-Cache". Allow to dry and touch up or apply second coat.

Step 3 - Add yellow curved stripe and label information

- Remove masking tape guidelines

- use pencil to outline the shape of the yellow curve. Fill in with yellow paint pen or fine brush.

- add nutrition information with silver sharpie or silver metallic paint pen ("Serving Size: 1 cache... 0 calories, etc." "12 fl oz." "IT'S NOT THE REAL THING"

- Paint the top of the cap silver. Allow to dry. Use black marker to draw in the "pop top" and hole.

Step 4 - Remove masking tape for silver curve

- carefully cut around the edges of the masking tape (placed in Step 1) with X-acto knife and remove tape

Step 5 - Post a picture of your finished container in this thread

Helpful hints

- The container is not waterproof. Try to find a sheltered hiding spot.

- Paint pens are more durable than sharpie marker. Marker ink fades after a few months outdoors.

- I tried finishing the can with clearcoat shellac, but it made some of the lettering blur. Maybe I sprayed it on too thick?

28812a29-e188-4b97-9b30-bb0206a0a311.jpg

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

We were driving home the other day and came across this guy, obviously a cacher, transporting his cammoed cache container to its hiding spot. Followed for a little while but had to turn off. Wonder where he intends to hide it.

Probably under some bridge.

152a7ced-572c-4111-8298-7209272034d6.jpg

Put aside the $$$ of the cache..... How much to fill it with swag :antenna:

IMGP5298.jpg

Sounds like a good cache. But there is no picture there.

I am not sure why the picture won't show. I see it on my computer just fine. Perhaps I am using photobucket incorrectly. Can anyone shed some light on this for me if this attempt fails?

IMGP5298.jpg

- I tried finishing the can with clearcoat shellac, but it made some of the lettering blur. Maybe I sprayed it on too thick?

I wonder if spraying it with Future Floor Polish (which is an acrylic polish made by, IIRC, Pledge) might work? Model makers use it all the time (my husband bought a case of it the last time we were home, as it's unavailable here in northern Japan). I just don't know how well it would hold up to the elements -- but it /does/ provide a nice gloss seal.

We were driving home the other day and came across this guy, obviously a cacher, transporting his cammoed cache container to its hiding spot. Followed for a little while but had to turn off. Wonder where he intends to hide it.

Put aside the $$$ of the cache..... How much to fill it with swag :D

Nothing. McDonald's toys are FREE!!!! :D

Be careful were you hide those cylinders. When I was stationed in West Germany we were warned that fire extinguishers were a container of choice for some bombers. Just a bit of food for thought.

Thats a while ago? No Bombs here in Germany.

But companys do service for extinguishers and test it and put test date stamps on it. And seal. You can see if it was used.

They will find fake extinguishers in a building.

Yes, quite a while ago. I remember the marches in front of my post. A half dozen or so anti nuke protesters trying to make lots of noise. Four times as many folks on the sidewalk wondering what the hell the commotion was all about. A hand full of people trying to make just as much noise telling the protesters better to have us than the Russians. Me just hoping they all stayed on that side of the gate.

I responded once to a call for a bomb made out of a fire extinguisher. Turned out to be a fake. Had wires and batteries and a clock taped to the outside. the head was removed and the wires ran into the cylinder. The whole thing was mounted on a board and had a hard clear plastic cover over it. And yup, I kicked it up to someone else to decide what to do.

152a7ced-572c-4111-8298-7209272034d6.jpg

:D Found this one! After working for hours to get the "MIL-SPEC" shipping cover off the darn-thing, I saw a large car-size decal on the side; "Open in a Class A Clean Room Only. Violation of Clean Room Requirements, will result in Criminal Prosecution".

Heck, I checked and the crane charge, trucking and Clean Room charges were estimated at $175,000. So I just listed it as "DNF". ;)

Edited by Cherokee Bill

IMGP5298.jpg

do people return the tool to WP1?

and does blowing this up reguire making mouth contact with the 'tool'? eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww

Edited by Mother Wolf

"...do people return the tool to WP1?

and does blowing this up reguire making mouth contact with the 'tool'? eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww"

How many guys have you kissed in yo' life, Mammywuff?

Well, just remember............a kiss ain't nuthin' but suckin' on the sweet end of 29 feet of intestines.

:(

~*

This is my newest. I will fill it with small papers that have ccords on them then camo tape the top shut. When I have to refill it I just remove the camo tape holding the lid shut. It should hold about 100 papers. No money needed!!!

*image removed*

(Instructions available by PM request)

Amazing cache! Where is this dispenser located, or rather, how safe is it?

It's set up like a real machine. A piece in the bottom of the globe that turns when you turn the handle. That had holes for the papers like a gum machine has gum. Then when you turn it the paper eventually falls through a hole and into the area where you get the gum or it this case coords.

Where is the machine located? In the forest, on your property, etc.

Oh!, sorry I have not placed it but probably in the forest in a tree covered with a ton of sticks etc...

Oh, cool. Even better =D :(

"...do people return the tool to WP1?

and does blowing this up reguire making mouth contact with the 'tool'? eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww"

How many guys have you kissed in yo' life, Mammywuff?

Well, just remember............a kiss ain't nuthin' but suckin' on the sweet end of 29 feet of intestines.

:(

~*

Thats why Moving Geocaches are gone, some body decided the 29th foot would be a great cache container.

I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library? One of the logs reads:

We rate this cache a 5 difficulty if you visit on a day Otis doesn't want to play, and a 1.5 on a day he does. We overthought this one last time, and my original hunch was correct. Found this in about 3 minutes on an Otis-friendly return visit.

(OtisPug was the cache owner.)

What the heck are they referring to? :laughing: I must know! :unsure:

If you go to the library in Reno Nevada you can find this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5e-6c3638b1592b

It was a cool find. Also, the man who invented the modern elevator was named Otis, which may help you solve your puzzled question.

This is a first waypoint of a multi-cache that was put out a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the cache was intruding on private property (specifically a squirels home). As soon as we got the cache in place, a squirel would push it out and chew on the container. After a couple of attempts at replacing the cache, we devised yet another devious hide for the first waypoint. The squirel never even thanked us!

treehole1nr6.jpg

treehole3mw4.jpg

I ran into one like this, when I hiked the Thunderbolt trail on the north-east side of Mount Greylock, in Adams, MA. (USA).. (side note, the US Forrestry & Parks has requested (more like demanded) all geocaches along the route of the Appalacian Trail be removed, so this one is gone.) I thought mugging this shot, was kind of cute.

PICT01552.jpg

Funny thing was, I really didn't realize where it was, till I walked up the trail, turned around, and.. AWWwW-$%$^$!!! :laughing: