Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I have been looking through this thread. The one thing that I see a lot of is people against using fake electrical boxes as caches.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this at all. First off, I wouldn't go into any box that looked live my self. And in most cases, the boxes, once you look at them, don't make any sense where they are.

Then there are usually clues on the cache page that gives it away. I have a square D box I am using, and I am not going to make it look like its live, but to the passer by it will not stand out, but it will to a geocacher.

Then there is always this. If you opened a box that was not a cache by chance, You would know it. AND, electrical boxes are designed not to kill ppl. every fuse, and breaker box I have looking in has never contained anything exposed that would zap some one easily.

As for fake outlets.... Well if its a blank, and it wasn't a cache, there are most likely wirenutted leads, either that or nothing. Not to mention, most cache boxes like that are designed to open with out a screwdriver. Like a magnet ect.

Then there are the ones with combo locks on them, where in you need to retrieve the code via multi cache.

Here's a couple of home made caches for urban environments I just finished and haven't released into the wild yet. Not sure if the idea has been done before or not, but this is my interpretation.

Cache #1:

This is a nano cache - it has a rolled up log only. From the top you see:

3092991670_362d8ceacb.jpg

Turn it over and you see this:

3092991612_1fb789dd28.jpg

Unscrew the brass piece to see this:

3092991526_9df5948c7d.jpg

Here's a close up of the log. Note the wooden toothpick piece that is used to wrap the log around and to help with extracting the log:

3092991454_f567951dc6.jpg

The screw piece, bolts and washers are epoxyed together and the brass fitting is epoxyed into the washer so it should be reasonably waterproof once the brass end plug is screwed in place. We'll have to see. The plan is to set this cache on a light pole, etc, that has similar screws (though not necessarily the same size.) The cache won't be attached, it will just sit there. I'm hoping just the weight of it will keep it in place. If not, I've thought about possibly hollowing out some space for a couple of magnets on the bottom...

Cache #2:

This is a micro cache - about the size of a 35mm film canister. (In fact I epoxyed the bottom of a film canister to the bottom of pipe to seal the cache...)

Closed:

3092991746_5e49ed9379.jpg

Open the top and see:

3092151857_3a8b8eb0c1.jpg

These are my first attempts at home made caches and I was trying to come up with something that could sit in the open and yet not be noticed by casual passersby. Comments and critique welcome. Thanks!

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

hey

can i see the cache page for this

Here's a couple of home made caches for urban environments I just finished and haven't released into the wild yet. Not sure if the idea has been done before or not, but this is my interpretation.

Cache #1:

This is a nano cache - it has a rolled up log only. From the top you see:

3092991670_362d8ceacb.jpg

Turn it over and you see this:

3092991612_1fb789dd28.jpg

Unscrew the brass piece to see this:

3092991526_9df5948c7d.jpg

Here's a close up of the log. Note the wooden toothpick piece that is used to wrap the log around and to help with extracting the log:

3092991454_f567951dc6.jpg

The screw piece, bolts and washers are epoxyed together and the brass fitting is epoxyed into the washer so it should be reasonably waterproof once the brass end plug is screwed in place. We'll have to see. The plan is to set this cache on a light pole, etc, that has similar screws (though not necessarily the same size.) The cache won't be attached, it will just sit there. I'm hoping just the weight of it will keep it in place. If not, I've thought about possibly hollowing out some space for a couple of magnets on the bottom...

Cache #2:

This is a micro cache - about the size of a 35mm film canister. (In fact I epoxyed the bottom of a film canister to the bottom of pipe to seal the cache...)

Closed:

3092991746_5e49ed9379.jpg

Open the top and see:

3092151857_3a8b8eb0c1.jpg

These are my first attempts at home made caches and I was trying to come up with something that could sit in the open and yet not be noticed by casual passersby. Comments and critique welcome. Thanks!

huh

cool cache

found one similar to this

it is Smokin' by rey de roble

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

That's interesting! How did you build it?

AHA! Secrets revealed! *stalks south to infiniteMPG's cache* Even though I wouldn't know which cache this belongs to - I'd probably be one of the ones that sat on it without realizing it :D
I only have about 230 to pick from and some of them are in North Carolina so GOOD LUCK! hehehehehe

Actually my only worry about posting camo jobs in here is giving away secrets to local wenches... errr, I mean local cachers....

Does anyone else worry about posting 'secrets of our hides' in here and ruining the fun for people seeking your caches? :D

KITTENSCARED.jpg

Be AFRAID IMPG Be VERY AFRAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Please give me PROS/CONS and commits on this idea.

I was thinking of doing a standing recycling bin( Aprox 4' tall 2' round) in a very public place. When you lift the small lid to drop a can or bottle everything would seem normal. But if you were lift the larger lid to remove the "liner" you would discover the cache. I would use a bike lock or cable lock to secure it to the buildings pipes.

I was thinking of doing a standing recycling bin( Aprox 4' tall 2' round) in a very public place. When you lift the small lid to drop a can or bottle everything would seem normal. But if you were lift the larger lid to remove the "liner" you would discover the cache. I would use a bike lock or cable lock to secure it to the buildings pipes.

Pros: I like the idea. Really promotes the CITO concept.

Cons: This will be a high maintenance cache. You will have to keep the bin emptied and clean. If the container is not kept up (and there is no way you can monitor WHAT gets dumped in your bin - some people will use it as a regular trash can) the "cache" will become disgusting and people will not want to search.

I think overall, the quality of this cache will be dependant on what kind of cache owner you are. :(

Pros: I like the idea. Really promotes the CITO concept.

Cons: This will be a high maintenance cache. You will have to keep the bin emptied and clean. If the container is not kept up (and there is no way you can monitor WHAT gets dumped in your bin - some people will use it as a regular trash can) the "cache" will become disgusting and people will not want to search.

I think overall, the quality of this cache will be dependant on what kind of cache owner you are. :(

I was considering using a bucket or bowl to mount under the larger lid and place non-valuable recyclables in it. I thought of what people could dump in there and to counter it I could have a drain at the bottom the bucket or bowl with a hose bypassing the major cache area draining liquids out the back. As for the larger pieces of trash that may end up in it, the area I would be placing it would not have that much foot traffic and I have never seen any "urban campers" in the area to plunder it.

I'm in agreement with m.austin -- it's a cool concept. However, I'm also in agreement that it will be high-maintenance.

What I'd recommend is that you cut a large, thick piece of plastic to the diameter of the can at the point where you want the actual recycling bin to be. Make sure that you also create braces that will sit against the actual bottom of the can: at some point, there may be a considerable weight of garbage on top of the false floor, and the braces will keep it from sagging. Then epoxy and seal that false floor in very well, because if people put stuff in there with liquid in it (which they will), it will seep down to the bottom, and you definitely want to keep that sticky mess off of your actual cache.

Next, cut a door in either the side or back of the can (so that it's hidden) that allows access into the false bottom you've created. Epoxy some sturdy hinges to the door and can and perhaps add a couple of magnets to keep the door closed. Stick a standard tupperware container in there (if the false floor should be breached, this will protect the contents of the cache).

If you (or perhaps a local group) can commit to emptying out the can and putting in fresh bags regularly, I think it would be an awesome cache!

Hey all, just wanted to share my latest multi cache creation. It is waiting for review now so it is not active yet. I've spent the last couple of months working on it. Stupid me - I didn't take any photos of the finished products or them at their locations. But anyway, it is a Monty Python & The Holy Grail theme. The first stage is an arrow (message for you sir), the second is the trojan rabbit, the third is the Holy Hand Grenade and the last is an ammo can containing the Holy Grail.

I added a laminated portion containing the "3 shalt thou count" rendition from the movie in Old English text on the lid of the chest here that is not pictured...

november001.jpg

Here is the rabbit before I added the hinge and wheels

november002.jpg

an important addition that rests inside the rabbit

november003.jpg

Oh Concorde, you shall not have been fatally wounded in vain

november004.jpg

The most Holy Grail

november005.jpg

It is my opus cache to date. Unfortunately, I spent countless hours exploring places to put the thing and kept finding issues...most notably they were places I was afraid of the containers getting muggled. I settled on a park near my hometown where I visit often. I hauled the 50 lbs. of cache containers nearly a mile up steep trails looking for a great cliff/cave (cave of caerbannog) to put the Holy Hand Grenade complete with a toy rabbit nearby, but in the area I was heading to find such suitable places I ran into a couple of hunters so I turned back and went on a different trail where I ran out of steam and ended up just hiding the caches along a ridgeline. I will probably change the coordinates and cache locations to suit those things later this summer, but the props were eating at me to get out there so I went ahead and activated the description.

Also, I thought you'd be interested to see this cache I logged recently in West Virginia. It's nothing more than a magnetic key holder....yeah right! (I put my cap on the cache container for scale)

keyholder.jpg

Also, here is a plain sight cache that I didn't really come up with. I saw it somewhere else, but tweaked the design a bit. I put one end down in some riprap rocks and the other against a building. To get the film cannister out you have to twist a thumb screw to drop it down. I've made a couple of these and have only placed one so far. I also made a hollow bolt on my metal lathe, but it got muggled. I recently made another one, but haven't placed it yet either.

pvc1.jpg

pvc2.jpg

Time to put my 2-cents in here and stop worrying about giving hides away as I hope the things I post are helpful in churning up the creative juices. This one I was pretty proud of and it's currently in the wild. Was looking at a preserve and found something that had potential, and by hand I made room for a full size Lock-n-Lock....

log1.jpg

The raw state and how it looks in the wild (but it's in an area where it fits right in. This picture was in my yard).

log2.jpg

Then a little elbow grease and a sharp chisel to the bottom.

log3.jpg

And you end up with room for a full sized cache in my first 40-pound Lock-N-Lock. And hauling this camo to it's final resting spot wasn't the easiest of tasks, too. Didn't fit well in my pack <_<

That is pretty cool! i'd hate to be the one trying to find that cache!

Hey all, just wanted to share my latest multi cache creation. It is waiting for review now so it is not active yet. I've spent the last couple of months working on it. Stupid me - I didn't take any photos of the finished products or them at their locations. But anyway, it is a Monty Python & The Holy Grail theme. The first stage is an arrow (message for you sir), the second is the trojan rabbit, the third is the Holy Hand Grenade and the last is an ammo can containing the Holy Grail.

I added a laminated portion containing the "3 shalt thou count" rendition from the movie in Old English text on the lid of the chest here that is not pictured...

november001.jpg

Here is the rabbit before I added the hinge and wheels

november002.jpg

an important addition that rests inside the rabbit

november003.jpg

Oh Concorde, you shall not have been fatally wounded in vain

november004.jpg

The most Holy Grail

november005.jpg

It is my opus cache to date. Unfortunately, I spent countless hours exploring places to put the thing and kept finding issues...most notably they were places I was afraid of the containers getting muggled. I settled on a park near my hometown where I visit often. I hauled the 50 lbs. of cache containers nearly a mile up steep trails looking for a great cliff/cave (cave of caerbannog) to put the Holy Hand Grenade complete with a toy rabbit nearby, but in the area I was heading to find such suitable places I ran into a couple of hunters so I turned back and went on a different trail where I ran out of steam and ended up just hiding the caches along a ridgeline. I will probably change the coordinates and cache locations to suit those things later this summer, but the props were eating at me to get out there so I went ahead and activated the description.

Also, I thought you'd be interested to see this cache I logged recently in West Virginia. It's nothing more than a magnetic key holder....yeah right! (I put my cap on the cache container for scale)

keyholder.jpg

I just love this thred and come to it often for inspiration or just for plain entertainment. I really appreciate an imaginative cache that a lot of care and ingenuity went into and I think this one would be one I'd love to seek out if it were not for the distance from New Hampshire. Monty Python's Holy Grail is of course a cult classic that lends itself well as a caching theme and this cache will long be remembered by those who log it. I can understan your concern about the muggle factor, but think you are offering the community something important enough that it should be placed appropriately. It seems as if you are a little unhappy about your final placement of the individual stages. If this is the case, I would encourage you to make the effort to relocate them to an area where you are totally satisfied and that they are safe enough to be available for many others to find over the upcoming years. Keep up the good work.

This is my newest. I will fill it with small papers that have ccords on them then camo tape the top shut. When I have to refill it I just remove the camo tape holding the lid shut. It should hold about 100 papers. No money needed!!!

DSC01221.jpg

(Instructions available by PM request)

Edited by blb9556

First picture is a cache made by PhotoBea and was taken before it was planted. The log is pulled out from the cartridge and after signing is rolled back up.

GC1DAV6 - Don't Bea So Negative

GC1DAV6_1.jpg

Next three pictures were also taken before the cache was planted. Cache is GCCGMV - Sign In Red and it has to do with Bob Ross, host of "Joy of Painting" on PBS, signing his paintings in red. The container is hidden in a pine tree. Some of the visitors are signing the log with red ink.

gc1cgmv_1.jpg

gc1cgmv_2.jpg

gc1cgmv_3.jpg

This is my newest. I will fill it with small papers that have ccords on them then camo tape the top shut. When I have to refill it I just remove the camo tape holding the lid shut. It should hold about 100 papers. No money needed!!!

DSC01221.jpg

Amazing cache! Where is this dispenser located, or rather, how safe is it?

DSC01221.jpg

It's set up like a real machine. A piece in the bottom of the globe that turns when you turn the handle. That had holes for the papers like a gum machine has gum. Then when you turn it the paper eventually falls through a hole and into the area where you get the gum or it this case coords.

Is this a bad idea for a cache? I'm logged in under a second account to not give away my hides. That's all it will be used for. Idea is for it to be under leaves and a limb laying on top attached with fishing line that pull the hand up.

Arm%20cache.jpgend%20of%20arm.JPG

I would just put a warning that this cache may not be suitable for little kids

Is this a bad idea for a cache? I'm logged in under a second account to not give away my hides. That's all it will be used for. Idea is for it to be under leaves and a limb laying on top attached with fishing line that pull the hand up.

Arm%20cache.jpgend%20of%20arm.JPG

I would just put a warning that this cache may not be suitable for little kids

I like it. Make sure the line isn't visible to others. Put a fish in the hand!

*image removed*

It's set up like a real machine. A piece in the bottom of the globe that turns when you turn the handle. That had holes for the papers like a gum machine has gum. Then when you turn it the paper eventually falls through a hole and into the area where you get the gum or it this case coords.

Where is the machine located? In the forest, on your property, etc.

Here's one I made recently

Did you make the pole and plant it at GZ, or hide the cache in the pole at the site?

I made the pole, and planted it in a spot where it fits in, and where you can park the car. The geocaching.com logo is on the opposite side from where you par the car.