Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Something i have been working on is taking some old empty chapstick containers cleaning them out with some degreaser then hot soapy water..I take a little of spray foam insulation and lightly spray the container while i make sure to have some extra bumps here and there on the tube..Then after it drys good i take some black spray rubber undercoating and spray over the insulation giving it a look of cat droppings.I have also added a kernel or corn here and there right after i spray the black rubber..Kinda appears as raccoon droppings then.You can then take a log sheet roll it up and place inside the tube.I use black electric tape on the mechanical end of the tube so i can raise and lower the log..Once i figure out how to upload some pictures i will post...

I've built a lot of cool cache containers over the years. Here's the crowning jewel to my Halloween 2008 series Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung (GC1H32A).

To learn more about it's construction, visit the BLOG at Bart's BLOG.

That looks like a police visit waiting to happen. I hope you have permission and/or it's on private land...

Go back to your dark room. Don't need compliments. But especially don't need your dribble.

It's true that he didn't use any smilies to show his emotion, but I don't feel that he was being either dribbly or humorous. He has a valid concern, and he voiced it. There's no reason for you to be needlessly rude in return. :o

I've built a lot of cool cache containers over the years. Here's the crowning jewel to my Halloween 2008 series Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung (GC1H32A).

To learn more about it's construction, visit the BLOG at Bart's BLOG.

That looks like a police visit waiting to happen. I hope you have permission and/or it's on private land...

Go back to your dark room. Don't need compliments. But especially don't need your dribble.

It's true that he didn't use any smilies to show his emotion, but I don't feel that he was being either dribbly or humorous. He has a valid concern, and he voiced it. There's no reason for you to be needlessly rude in return. :D

Temporary Volunteer Reviewer or not, the original comment belongs in a PM or e-mail. Something like that has no place on a public forum. Of course, that's just my humble opinion. ;):D:o

He DOES have a point, can you honestly imagine walking through the bush to find something like that?

Hahah, would be extremely funny on our behalf! Maybe not so for the person involved....

Never the less i love it!

No, he doesn't have a point. By accepting his statement, you dismiss my local reviewer as being irresponsible and incompetent. Besides, other than its size, what problem would someone have with it? It violates NO park policy, at least no more than the 40 other caches in the park. There's clearly nothing real about it.. the creature inside cost about $12 at Walmart. How many people have that same thing in their front lawn RIGHT NOW?

I am more disappointed that someone who uses their Reviewer credentials here has a problem of staying on topic. Sounds like an abuse of power.. :yikes:

Ok...getting back on track....

My latest version of the 'Mega Micro' as I've been informed it's called.

I'll probably get this one out somewhere in the next day or two.

Unlike the one I saw online, I've decided to not paint the bottle caps at this point. I'm figuring they'll look enough like litter that they'll get overlooked at least at first, especially with as much of the bottle cut of as I've been removing.

Used regular epoxy to glue a piece of the bottle across the bottom, and then PC7 to attach it to the rock.

All the plastic is roughed up with 100 grit sandpaper and thoroughly washed before the glue-up.

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

I think the bottle cap caches are remarkably clever, but I'd be worried that some wandering muggle would CITO them away. :)
I have one stage of a rural multi that's one of those fake soda can containers and a group of cachers picked it up to CITO and gave up finding that stage. Quite a bit later one of them re-examined the can and found it was the stage. They got the coords and replaced it, but it's always a risk that these will get CITO'ed....

PC7 is one of the best epoxy's around.

It's fairly expensive (~$10 for 2 small cans) but I've been using it over 20 years with great results.

I think the sanding is still key though, the rougher the sandpaper the better, give the glue something to bite into on the plastic.

I also use a variety of other glues, 60 second and 5 minute epoxy in the tubes as well as Gorilla Glue (Although I've had bad results trying to use the GG with plastic).

My worry with the 'trash caches' is that they will get CITOed...it's a fine line between making something that will blend in and something that will get mistaken for trash and tossed. Hopefully upon close inspection (when you pick it up), the bottle caps won't resemble trash or if they do I'll attach them to something heavy so they aren't easily removed (like the one glued to the rock).

How does that rate compared to JB Weld? I live by JB Weld and having the two small tubes in the GC maintenance kit has been a lifesaver.... :D

I have looked and can't seem to find either here in Canada.. perhaps under another name? Any Canucks got suggestions.. or I can do some cross boarder shopping =)

Murfster

this my first whatcha all think havent placed it yet but soon

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn2110dj6.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn2105fp8.jpg

just click the links . these forums dont like imageshack for some reason

:D

Nice.... thank god most of the local cachers aren't that mean to us here.. I am definately going to use some ideas found in this thread B)

this my first whatcha all think havent placed it yet but soon

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn2110dj6.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn2105fp8.jpg

just click the links . these forums dont like imageshack for some reason

:D

Nice.... thank god most of the local cachers aren't that mean to us here.. I am definately going to use some ideas found in this thread B)

ditto those are insane enough.

How does that rate compared to JB Weld? I live by JB Weld and having the two small tubes in the GC maintenance kit has been a lifesaver.... :D

I have looked and can't seem to find either here in Canada.. perhaps under another name? Any Canucks got suggestions.. or I can do some cross boarder shopping =)

Murfster

JB weld and JB quick are both great. JB quick is a faster setting. Clean any oils off first and they stick really well. They seem to be at autoparts stores more than hardware.

So I was searching through some of the store links from the GC adverts and saw a container that they called a big micro (or something like that). Looked like it was a painted soda bottle cap.

As so often happens when I see stuff (like when I go to craft shows), my first thought was, "I could make that."

So I headed down to the laboritory (I know...sp...but it's almost Halloween!) and let the mad scientist juices start to flow.

This first one is pretty close to what the one on the site looked like except theirs is painted flat black. I cut the bottle off at the lip just below the cap, sanded the bottom flat and then glued on a piece of plastic I cut from the center of the bottle. I glued a little rare-earth magnet inside and then painted the plastic bit silver figuring I'll put it on the base of a guardrail or other silver sign post type thing, hopefully the base will blend in and it'll just look like a bottle cap laying there at first glance.

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

This next one I cut the bottle off a little lower, made a metal bottom for it and glued a galvanized roofing nail to it.

Same idea, I'm hoping it gets overlooked as litter, just a bottle cap on the ground.

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

Having to cammo the bottoms was bothering me though. No matter how well it blends in with the surroundings, it's still not quite right. So I decided for my third try to see if I could remove the offending plastic completely.

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

Not sure how I'm going to place this one. I think I finally got the idea right with it though so I'll probably make a few more like it. Magnet in the bottom to put on metal, just tossed down somewhere or placed in some kind of hidey hole, or what I think I am going to do with this one is glue it to a rock and then place the rock somewhere...I think that's the best way to avoid having it CiToed. I was going to just glue it to the rock without a bottom but I figured a layer of plastic between it and the rock was probably a good idea to keep moisture out.

LOL...i think i know which link you got that one from. :grin: It's called the "Mega Mini".

And the FTF gets a free my coke rewards code :)

PVC, rubber band, pine cone. Cost ~ $1

Looks good, but.....

My problem in general with pine cones (at least the ones around here) is, when they get wet (ie, rain) they close up.

Like this:

MVC-344F.jpg

~*

I did not know they close back up. We had a good rain and sure enough it was about half closed. The cone was big enough that it could still hide the cache but I may have to check on it every time there is a hard rain.

Murfster

JB weld and JB quick are both great. JB quick is a faster setting. Clean any oils off first and they stick really well. They seem to be at autoparts stores more than hardware.

Gorilla Glue works well and can be purchased at any Home Depot. It comes in white or clear.

"Gorilla Glue works well and can be purchased at any Home Depot. It comes in white or clear."

How do you get it to "work well" ? I've been quite disappointed in the Gorilla Glue I tried. After reading the 'blurb' in the store extolling all its qualities, I bought a bottle....the 'brownish amber' color (which was the only thing the Ace Hardware had), at what I felt was a fairly premium pricepoint. The ol' "if it costs this much it must be good" logic.

I wanted to try it for cementing a 35mm can'r underneath a fence-pole cap. Followed the directions to the letter, including the dampening (wanted it to foam up/expand, to fill the gap between the flat cannister bottom & the interior 'dome' shape of the cap). Let it dry overnight, then another half day. Picked up my concoction to take to the hide site; started to pull off the can'r cap to insert the log....and instead, the whole cannister came off in my hand!

I know it was fresh product, so no 'shelf life loss', but as said, my only experience has been one of disappointment. Maybe it'll work in other apps, but I'm of course hesitant to try it again. So, thus far, it's Gorilla 0 - Sux 1.

~*

Well...I agree and I disagree :blink:

Gorilla glue is awesome for almost everything...........except gluing stuff to a 35mm canister :D

No, seriously. I've used it for all sorts of things for many years and it's absolutely awesome. I've only had one failure with it and that was about a month ago. I put most of the caches I make out in the yard for a week or two just to make sure everything's copacetic. Well, after 2 weeks the little piece of wood I gorilla glued to the top of the sanded and washed film canister had fallen off. All of the glue was on the wood and the plastic was clean. The bark I glued onto the sides with it is still attached though.

I've never tried the JB Weld...been thinking about it though. I thought it was just for metal, I didn't realize it worked on other stuff too. I'll be picking some up the next time I'm in the local hardware store.

One solution to the glue issue I've used successfully has been to paint the containers before gluing stuff on them. I had been going through a many coat primer, topcoat, matte clear process until I read on here about the krylon fusion paints (They're AMAZING! and the ultra flat cammo paint is perfect!). Now I spray one or two coats of that and let it dry at least a day (a week is best). Then I've had success with any epoxy or even gorilla glue.

...Gorilla glue is awesome for almost everything...........except gluing stuff to a 35mm canister :laughing:

Well, at least now I know what I done wrong. And eliminates my "must've been holding my mouth wrong" theory. :rolleyes:

OK, I'll give it another try. Ain't about to toss it in the garbage pail just yet -- not after what I paid for it, anyway! ;)

To give a little after taking, I'll offer this back. One of the greatest adhesives I've ever used is Pliobond, the Industrial Contact Cement (there's different grades). I've had the old bottle I've got for 20+ years! The brush in the cap will barely touch what little's left in the bottom, & I'll have to find a replacement before long. Actually, I was trying the Gorilla stuff looking for a replacement. It's not even made by the same people now & I don't believe it's the same formula - has gone thru a few iterations - I think Ashland owns 'em now.

Anyway, if the modern stuff works as well as this old formula, it is TEH BOMB! It's messier'n 4 Hades to work with, but once you stick something together with it, it stays stuck!! I think the secret to its success is its retained flexibility after curing -- not becoming embrittled & thus subject to joint failure like, eg, cyanoacrylates or 'super glues'. If I can find the Pliobond in like, a 1-oz plastic squeeze-bottle, I'd sure give the new version at least a try.

Hope this side-trip hasn't drifted too far OT - but it's still about building hidey stuff, right? ;)

~*

Cache I launched last Saturday. The door you can see just protects the actual cache door. The stump is made from around 400 pounds on concrete. The actual cache is made of 1/4inch plate steel.

GC1HV0Y

And you got this to it's location how? :)

The concrete ‘tube’ (300 pounds) was taken with a tractor and I was able to get it 25 feet from it’s final location. Tug, roll and flip to get it set in place. Then I poured 3 bags of sack-create (180 pounds) around the base. The bottom of the tube has rebar out the sides so the concrete I did on location keeps it from tipping over. Then I secured the metal cache (30 pounds) in the concrete with bolts formed in the concrete. The camo was done with 3 tubes of liquid nails, bark, expanding spray foam and paint on sight

Edited by WatchDog2020

Cache I launched last Saturday. The door you can see just protects the actual cache door. The stump is made from around 400 pounds on concrete. The actual cache is made of 1/4inch plate steel.

GC1HV0Y

And you got this to it's location how? :)

The concrete ‘tube’ (300 pounds) was taken with a tractor and I was able to get it 25 feet from it’s final location. Tug, roll and flip to get it set in place. Then I poured 3 bags of sack-create (180 pounds) around the base. The bottom of the tube has rebar out the sides so the concrete I did on location keeps it from tipping over. Then I secured the metal cache (30 pounds) in the concrete with bolts formed in the concrete. The camo was done with 3 tubes of liquid nails, bark, expanding spray foam and paint on sight

WOW lots of work in this cache!

GC1HV0Y

And you got this to it's location how? :unsure:

OMG!

Thought I'd add pictures of a Multi cache I did in July. Stage one is a bird house that has a 1970's 1 cent gumball machine in it. When you put a penny in it (returned at final) a marble drops that has the next set of coords. written on it and 45 seconds of the song Rockin Robin plays. On the inside door of the bird house are 4 leafs in order. At the final is the Cryptex pictured. The outside 4 rings are 4 inch PVC and turn. The combination to open it is the exact order of the leafs from the birdhouse. When lined up correctly the tube separates like a Key coming out of a Lock. The inside 'Key' is 2 1/2 inch PVC (12 inches long) and holds the actual cache.

tn1226493550083849700.jpg

Click Picture for full size

tn1226493644097633900.jpg

Click Picture for full size

Edited by WatchDog2020

I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library? One of the logs reads:

We rate this cache a 5 difficulty if you visit on a day Otis doesn't want to play, and a 1.5 on a day he does. We overthought this one last time, and my original hunch was correct. Found this in about 3 minutes on an Otis-friendly return visit.

(OtisPug was the cache owner.)

What the heck are they referring to? :unsure: I must know! :D

Otis is an Elevator. So I assume that you had to use the elevator to go up to level 5. When they say Otis doesn't want to play. I assume they meant that the Elevator wasn't working.

My brother told me about this forum thread and suggested I put one of my cache themes up here.

We plan to place approximately ten of these by the time we're done. Anyone is welcome to continue it on in your own area.

The theme is "Troll Bridge".

The only exception is one we plan to hide on an island with the name "Bountiful Treasure Island" (because the troll is wearing a pirate costume).

Troll%20Bridge.jpg

(If you can't see the image, right click and select "view image". If that doesn't work you can go here: http://daphnesextras.blogspot.com/ and look at the date 12/Nov/08)

Unfortunately, our first (and only) troll is disabled and under repair. It will be returned this week after it stops raining; but keep an eye out for it and more.

Edited by 3 Sheets to the Wind

GC1HV0Y

And you got this to it's location how? :unsure:

Shouldn't this cache be archived? I mean it says no temporary caches that won't last longer than 90 days :D

Edited by kraushad

look at some of the containers sold by an 8yr old on the following site :anibad:

http://www.crazycaches.com/mean-devious-ca...103dae571e69514 :anibad:

heres a good one that he has DSC00840.JPG:laughing:

Reminds me too much of the container I ran across on a multi I never got to finish. (got too dark, deep in woods, batteries failing in GPSr)

A was roughly 15 feet away from the 3rd stage, sat down on a rock nearby, and saw what looked like a reddish pile, similar to the above photo...

1st thought.. EWWWW! Gross!

looked at it.. seemed too matte colored..

Tapped on it with the hiking pole.. Heard a Loud click when the metal hit it.. Hardened Cement!

Birds, wildlife, and hopefully no-one else around, heard me laughing hysterically.

Flipped it over, and sure enough, it had a Cryo-Tube imbedded in it. Coordinates for the next stage.

Shades of the old "I make These" post from the 1st group of this thread.

On the Roadrunner theme, heres a couple shots of a hide by a friend of mine who puts out some great ones.

What do you do with a bowling ball that you find while out caching?? Make a cache out of it of course! A local dentist had the statues already, so it was a perfect fit.

0514081548.jpg0514081549.jpg

Hah! Love it! I had one called "Kaboom" where you had to outsmart the Coyote. Choose "A" or "B" all through the cache. You either get it right, or "Kaboom!" It's long gone (how someone stumbled on it where it was, I have NO idea), so I don't mind showing the final:

So as you see, I'm jealous of your statues!! :laughing:

kaboomfin.jpg

On the Roadrunner theme, heres a couple shots of a hide by a friend of mine who puts out some great ones.

What do you do with a bowling ball that you find while out caching?? Make a cache out of it of course! A local dentist had the statues already, so it was a perfect fit.

0514081548.jpg0514081549.jpg

Hah! Love it! I had one called "Kaboom" where you had to outsmart the Coyote. Choose "A" or "B" all through the cache. You either get it right, or "Kaboom!" It's long gone (how someone stumbled on it where it was, I have NO idea), so I don't mind showing the final:

So as you see, I'm jealous of your statues!! :laughing:

kaboomfin.jpg