Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Recent design of mine.

That is a very, very nasty cache! At least be fair and don't make it "a needle in a heystack" cache too.

I don't see that one being muggled!

Ouch!

It IS a nasty one. I'm rather ashamed of myself icon_sulkoff.gif

:anibad:

I may have to give up geocaching if people start regularly using this forum!

All I have to say... Evil with a capital "E".

Recent design of mine.

That is a very, very nasty cache! At least be fair and don't make it "a needle in a heystack" cache too.

I don't see that one being muggled!

Ouch!

Be careful, I have seen one like that - frustrated cachers might take to stripping the tree bare of bark looking for said cache... sad but true :D

Try and find a dead tree!

I've already considered that. I would never hide it on a live tree. I'd probably hide it in leaf litter on the ground and away from any trees for just that reason. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing someone may be peeling bark looking for one of my hides :)

Submitted for your consideration.

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

helped make one just like that. heated the spring until it was weak then welded it open just incase. it was well received but is archived because of constant problems with weed trimmers(long story).

OK, it's up and running. I picked up a Victor #3 double longspring trap and attached a mini ammo can to the pan. Check it out:

2008-08-24006.jpg

It got published a few days ago and it's already received a few visitors. Next time I'll remember to disable (heat treat) the springs before setting it out :) The black disc seen in the photo was used to prop up the pan (I should have painted it) and the plastic bag just barely visible held the FTF coin as there wasn't the room needed to put it in the ammo can. The cache is called "Fortune Favors the Bold" and is dedicated to the geocoin by Fox and the Hound.

db8f6f6a-f682-4ed1-808c-1467040d3d24.jpg

GC16YEX

That's just wrong ....icon_lac.gif

:o

It may be wrong, but I love it!

That's wrong and disgusting, I don't know how someone could "love it!"?

See it's funny because the dog is looking at the ball like he's going to try to get it and she is looking at the ball too and, oh never mind. If you have to explain it, it isn't that funny anymore.

That's just wrong ....icon_lac.gif

:o

It may be wrong, but I love it!

That's wrong and disgusting, I don't know how someone could "love it!"?

That. Is. Flippin. HILARIOUS! :)

It's funny because her pelvis is broke. ha ha

(sorry, sarcastic day today, It's actually funny because it is obvious that she is in absolutely no discomfort whatsoever)

Now that I've had a few finders, I'll go ahead and post some pics from my latest cache.

-------- SPOILER PICTURES IF YOU'RE HUNTING IN AUSTIN, TEXAS --------

(there, you've been warned)

Hopefully the bomb squad won't be called for this one. :rolleyes:

What seekers find at the coordinates:

seed1.jpg

Then once they look around a bit, they see this in the tree:

bomb3.jpg

A view going up:

bomb2.jpg

And with it open:

bombopen2-1.jpg

It's been getting nice reviews from the folks who have found it so far.

didn't see the pics

Now that I've had a few finders, I'll go ahead and post some pics from my latest cache.

Hopefully the bomb squad won't be called for this one. :rolleyes:

seed1.jpg

bomb3.jpg

A view going up:

bomb2.jpg

And with it open:

bombopen2-1.jpg

Hey KoosKoos:

That's an great cache! One of the really cool things I personally enjoy about geocaching is the ingenuity and inventiveness that people put into their caches and this is a great example of that. When any of your "customers" comes to that cache, they are guaranteed to leave with a smile and you will have made their day. They may have hit another 10 or 20 caches that day, but your is the one they'll remember the most. Keep up the great work, you are an asset to the whole community with such a contribution.

On the Roadrunner theme, heres a couple shots of a hide by a friend of mine who puts out some great ones.

What do you do with a bowling ball that you find while out caching?? Make a cache out of it of course! A local dentist had the statues already, so it was a perfect fit.

0514081548.jpg0514081549.jpg

Edited by mudsneaker

On the Roadrunner theme, heres a couple shots of a hide by a friend of mine who puts out some great ones.

What do you do with a bowling ball that you find while out caching?? Make a cache out of it of course! A local dentist had the statues already, so it was a perfect fit.

Sure hope the local bomb squad doesn't try to blow it up! :laughing::laughing::D

I will have to put this one on my "must do" list.

Hopefully the bomb squad won't be called for this one. :huh:

seed1.jpg

bomb3.jpg

A view going up:

bomb2.jpg

And with it open:

bombopen2-1.jpg

Awesome cache Koos! That's almost worth a trip to Austin to see in person! :P

I don't remember if I posted this first one yet...it was my first hide. I'll post a pic of it in situ as well since I don't really see any locals on here (Except the big O).

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6092.jpg

So far it's gotten one logged DNF in about 2 months (And I'm not sure why they didn't get it because they were absolutely correct in their email guess).

Then I put out a few more and the logs have kept me inspired to keep working on ideas and hiding. For my 4th hide I felt a little guilty for what I felt was a 'throw down'...I was in a park hiking with a friend scoping out spots for hides when I came across one that seemed to be good for one I happened to have in my pack all loaded up and ready to go. This one is in a crack in a rock up a steep little hill from a trail. The first 2 loggers summed up exactly why I decided to put it there. Blends in pretty well with the rocky side showing.

IMG_6142.jpg

I called this one, "Skippy Rocks" because it's a peanut butter jar in a rock. Plus the hint becomes a little ambiguous (Until you see the container) which I think adds to the fun (You're neither skipping rocks in the creek, nor should you skip looking at the rocks in your search).

I assume a rock saw would be required as well as a concrete bit or is there a specialized rock bit to drill the holes?

Sorry, I just spotted your question.

It's a piece of tree bark. Just a regular drill bit will do. I recommend a drill press or your holes won't line up right :grin:

@KoosKoos - Excellent cache! That's the best one I've ever seen!! :grin::D

So I was searching through some of the store links from the GC adverts and saw a container that they called a big micro (or something like that). Looked like it was a painted soda bottle cap.

As so often happens when I see stuff (like when I go to craft shows), my first thought was, "I could make that."

So I headed down to the laboritory (I know...sp...but it's almost Halloween!) and let the mad scientist juices start to flow.

This first one is pretty close to what the one on the site looked like except theirs is painted flat black. I cut the bottle off at the lip just below the cap, sanded the bottom flat and then glued on a piece of plastic I cut from the center of the bottle. I glued a little rare-earth magnet inside and then painted the plastic bit silver figuring I'll put it on the base of a guardrail or other silver sign post type thing, hopefully the base will blend in and it'll just look like a bottle cap laying there at first glance.

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

This next one I cut the bottle off a little lower, made a metal bottom for it and glued a galvanized roofing nail to it.

Same idea, I'm hoping it gets overlooked as litter, just a bottle cap on the ground.

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

Having to cammo the bottoms was bothering me though. No matter how well it blends in with the surroundings, it's still not quite right. So I decided for my third try to see if I could remove the offending plastic completely.

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

Not sure how I'm going to place this one. I think I finally got the idea right with it though so I'll probably make a few more like it. Magnet in the bottom to put on metal, just tossed down somewhere or placed in some kind of hidey hole, or what I think I am going to do with this one is glue it to a rock and then place the rock somewhere...I think that's the best way to avoid having it CiToed. I was going to just glue it to the rock without a bottom but I figured a layer of plastic between it and the rock was probably a good idea to keep moisture out.

So I was searching through some of the store links from the GC adverts and saw a container that they called a big micro (or something like that). Looked like it was a painted soda bottle cap.

As so often happens when I see stuff (like when I go to craft shows), my first thought was, "I could make that."

So I headed down to the laboritory (I know...sp...but it's almost Halloween!) and let the mad scientist juices start to flow.

This first one is pretty close to what the one on the site looked like except theirs is painted flat black. I cut the bottle off at the lip just below the cap, sanded the bottom flat and then glued on a piece of plastic I cut from the center of the bottle. I glued a little rare-earth magnet inside and then painted the plastic bit silver figuring I'll put it on the base of a guardrail or other silver sign post type thing, hopefully the base will blend in and it'll just look like a bottle cap laying there at first glance.

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

This next one I cut the bottle off a little lower, made a metal bottom for it and glued a galvanized roofing nail to it.

Same idea, I'm hoping it gets overlooked as litter, just a bottle cap on the ground.

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

Having to cammo the bottoms was bothering me though. No matter how well it blends in with the surroundings, it's still not quite right. So I decided for my third try to see if I could remove the offending plastic completely.

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

Not sure how I'm going to place this one. I think I finally got the idea right with it though so I'll probably make a few more like it. Magnet in the bottom to put on metal, just tossed down somewhere or placed in some kind of hidey hole, or what I think I am going to do with this one is glue it to a rock and then place the rock somewhere...I think that's the best way to avoid having it CiToed. I was going to just glue it to the rock without a bottom but I figured a layer of plastic between it and the rock was probably a good idea to keep moisture out.

WOW great work! Oh, by the way..... the Devil will get you for those :rolleyes:

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

WOW great work! Oh, by the way..... the Devil will get you for those :rolleyes:

Dude, that Rocks!

Here's one that I just disabled due to continuous technical difficulties. The design was flawed from the start, and I am currently rebuilding to make the container more waterproof.

Can you see the cache?

cache1-1.jpg

How about a little closer?

cache2-1.jpg

The log is rolled up on a 1/4" bolt through the lid and slid up inside the housing.

I hollowed out the fungus and filled it with hot glue, inserting a plastic sleeve. Then I coated the outside with fiberglass resin and while it was still wet, rolled it in garden dirt to take off the sheen. The idea was great, but somehow moisture was wicking up from the bottom and wetting the log.

edited to show the log

cache3.jpg

I made a similer one but drilled out the fungus big enough to fit a 35mm and sprayed the while thing with polyurethane saturating it. I hung it in my yard to "test" it for a few months and it seems good. I employed it and it is getting good reviews see GC1FG6N

Hey NiraD:

Great job! Glad you're not placing any caches like that along the East coast. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I found that one a couple of weekends ago. it wasn't that difficult but the location made it one of the best caches I found that day (out of 33 finds).
Yep, that's one of the ones you found. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

This was a fun one I did. It in spider infested weeds along a swamp. I heard later that real ones made their way inside the crack and are living in it as well.

The container was a lock n lock that is not shown.

People have a habit of emailing and telling me how it scared them to death

2973036886_66914efc2e_o.jpg

This was a fun one I did. It in spider infested weeds along a swamp. I heard later that real ones made their way inside the crack and are living in it as well.

WOW!!!

That one is Awesome!

I can see why you get the emails! :unsure:

Thanks for showing me a whole new realm of cacher torture adventure to contemplate :)

WOW!!!

That one is Awesome!

I can see why you get the emails! :unsure:

Thanks for showing me a whole new realm of cacher torture adventure to contemplate :anibad:

The funny thing is ..

I tell people not to go at night...down a dirt road, wander into mosquito filled trees, and into the million spiders lairs that feast on them. The water 15 feet away allways makes strange noises with ducks, fish, and other creatures in it.

And thats when I have had about 1/4 of all the cachers go.

:):)

Knowschad, spoilers below. Don't look...

I've built a lot of cool cache containers over the years. Here's the crowning jewel to my Halloween 2008 series Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung (GC1H32A).

To learn more about it's construction, visit the BLOG at Bart's BLOG.

GC1H32A.09.jpg

Edited by bflentje

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

LOL...i think i know which link you got that one from. :D It's called the "Mega Mini".

I've built a lot of cool cache containers over the years. Here's the crowning jewel to my Halloween 2008 series Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung (GC1H32A).

To learn more about it's construction, visit the BLOG at Bart's BLOG.

That looks like a police visit waiting to happen. I hope you have permission and/or it's on private land...

Go back to your dark room. Don't need compliments. But especially don't need your dribble.

That looks like a police visit waiting to happen. I hope you have permission and/or it's on private land...

Go back to your dark room. Don't need compliments. But especially don't need your dribble.

Yeah, that was kinda my kneejerk reaction at first....."You humourless wretch". But then I thought maybe that was his way of being all tongue-in-cheek etc. -- again, the hard-to-tell-w/-no-smiley/body-language thing. Give 'em the benefit of the doubt....save y'self the angst.

:rolleyes:

~*