Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

How's about this one? Anyone who caches in New Hampshire, I'd like to ask you not to check it out so as to keep the surprise in case you decide to look for it. I still have about another week before it goes public, but here's a sneek peek for everyone else:

I'd like any comments or suggestions, but if it is something that would spoil it for others, maybe you could email or PM me. I've been working steadily on it since early February and will be happy to finally, officially launch it :anibad:

SWEET! :D Is that in your yard or??? Great job on such an outstanding cache and piece of art! I only wish I lived closer to go see it. If you don't want to reveal it's location, can you PM me. We may be headed that way later in this fall and could possibly try to catch it.

I recently finished building an electronic/mechanical geocache with an audio triggered lock inspired by John Draper, a.k.a. 'Captain Crunch' of 1970's phone phreaking fame. To open this geocache the user has to solve a small puzzle to get the needed tone frequency, then record a sample of that tone and bring it with them. At the site the user must find the 'key' located on the cache, insert the key into the keyhole to power it up which plays back an operator's instruction recording. When prompted the user then plays the pre-recorded tone to activate and open the lock. It's not placed yet but I've posted a page with more photos and a video of the cache in operation. ( !! SPOILER WARNING !! )

montage.jpg

Edited by linuxonthebrain

I recently finished building an electronic/mechanical geocache with an audio triggered lock inspired by John Draper, a.k.a. 'Captain Crunch' of 1970's phone phreaking fame. To open this geocache the user has to solve a small puzzle to get the needed tone frequency, then record a sample of that tone and bring it with them. At the site the user must find the 'key' located on the cache, insert the key into the keyhole to power it up which plays back an operator's instruction recording. When prompted the user then plays the pre-recorded tone to activate and open the lock. It's not placed yet but I've posted a page with more photos and a short video of the cache in operation. ( !! SPOILER WARNING !! )

montage.jpg

I'm jealous!

I recently finished building an electronic/mechanical geocache with an audio triggered lock inspired by John Draper, a.k.a. 'Captain Crunch' of 1970's phone phreaking fame. To open this geocache the user has to solve a small puzzle to get the needed tone frequency, then record a sample of that tone and bring it with them. At the site the user must find the 'key' located on the cache, insert the key into the keyhole to power it up which plays back an operator's instruction recording. When prompted the user then plays the pre-recorded tone to activate and open the lock. It's not placed yet but I've posted a page with more photos and a video of the cache in operation (320x240 10.5M) 05:55. ( !! SPOILER WARNING !! )

montage.jpg

STANDING O!

This is one amazing project and I am certain that it will astound the people that seek it. Your community is very fortunate to have you as a Geocacher.

Thank you for taking the time to share the "how to" in this thread. Hopefully this will encourage and motivate people who are electronically inclined to tackle other projects of this nature. Just the possibility of encountering work like this is what keeps me playing this game.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I recently finished building an electronic/mechanical geocache with an audio triggered lock inspired by John Draper, a.k.a. 'Captain Crunch' of 1970's phone phreaking fame. To open this geocache the user has to solve a small puzzle to get the needed tone frequency, then record a sample of that tone and bring it with them. At the site the user must find the 'key' located on the cache, insert the key into the keyhole to power it up which plays back an operator's instruction recording. When prompted the user then plays the pre-recorded tone to activate and open the lock. It's not placed yet but I've posted a page with more photos and a video of the cache in operation. ( !! SPOILER WARNING !! )

montage.jpg

I absolutely love this cache! Very creative and well executed. What about battery life? While you were at Radio Shack picking up the voice recorder, you should have picked up the solar panel recharger and mounted it over the roof (they have it on the same rack). I remember the Captain Crunch scam - classic! I was too young to do it myself, but remember hearing about it. linuxonthebrain, you are an inspiration :unsure::blink::D

montage.jpg

The video doesn't have any sound on it when I watch it in the web browser, I'm using firefox so dunno. I plugged this link into windows media player and it worked fine though.

http://geocaching.linuxonthebrain.net/capt...ache_lowres.asf

Any chance we can get the blue prints for that thing? I want one!!!

That's just AWESOME!

I read through all 50 pages of this thread last week (took 4 days) being amazed and inspired by what I saw.

I have to say though...this one takes the cake! I'll have to remember it if I'm ever anywhere near it (would be worth a 100 mile detour :angry: )

I must say, there are some pretty creative hiders in my neck of the woods...In my first month I've seen everything from the nano micro to a .50cal can. I've seen bison tubes glued into holes drilled in rocks or clipped into holes in logs, pine cone cache on a fishing line flag-pole style up a tree, bird houses with false bottoms, metal tags on huge rocks I've tripped over and even sat down on when the frustrating search required some seated thought.

And one that totally made me laugh when I found it...now trash people don't freak out here...the coordinates said the last digit weren't important so it was a wide area to search. After two trips to that cache/stage and about an hour of looking I decrypted the hint...it was something like "Save the planet" so I figured it was recycling related. There was some blue ribbon wrapped around a tree close to the edge of the coordinate area so I concentrated much of my search around there (even convincing myself there was a missing metal tag that had been hanging on a tree). After about 2 hours I switched my GPSr to the sat. page to show me my coordinates as I walked around and got a better idea of the general area for my search. Noplace I hadn't already looked but got the general area better and stopped straying outside it.

"No Way!" I said out loud when I saw a small pile of trash within the general search area. Trash? Well...I saw a small pile of used aluminum cans (like 5) in the woods. Walked over and naturally one didn't move when I brushed over them...because it was full of plaster...with a big hunk of metal sticking out the side with N and W and a buncha numbers stamped in it...and as the 4th stage on a wet woodsy mystery (number of stages) multicache...was even nice enough to say at the top, "The coordinates for the cache are..."

I'll be taking my 11 year old nepher on that cache hunt when he's here visiting in 2 weeks...It's a good thing I love to laugh at myself...because I'm sure the stage that took me about 2½ hours on 2 different trips (got soaked to the bone the first time because I stupidly got back out of the Jeep telling myself it wasn't really gonna rain)...will take an 11 year old less than 5 minutes to find depending on which way he walks around the big thing that make the last # in the coordinates unnecessary.

And ok...since this is the place for pictures and not stories...I said this thread inspired me...I started working on one last week before I even got through all 50 pages. A 2 stager. The first stage will go into a hole in a tree so that when you pull it out you get the side with the post that the coords are written on. The second stage is a basic topless log. I'll hollow out a space as soon as I figure out what size container will be going in it.

Part 1...about 5" long 1" thick

sIMG_5901.jpg

sIMG_5902.jpg

I figure the slightly imperfect fit won't be noticeable unless you're looking for it. Someday I'll get a drillpress and a bandsaw...then they should be pretty hard to find even if you know what you're looking for :)

And the final

About a foot and a half long and maybe 5" wide.

sIMG_5899.jpg

sIMG_5900.jpg

That's just AWESOME!

I read through all 50 pages of this thread last week (took 4 days) being amazed and inspired by what I saw.

I have to say though...this one takes the cake! I'll have to remember it if I'm ever anywhere near it (would be worth a 100 mile detour :angry: )

I must say, there are some pretty creative hiders in my neck of the woods...In my first month I've seen everything from the nano micro to a .50cal can. I've seen bison tubes glued into holes drilled in rocks or clipped into holes in logs, pine cone cache on a fishing line flag-pole style up a tree, bird houses with false bottoms, metal tags on huge rocks I've tripped over and even sat down on when the frustrating search required some seated thought.

And one that totally made me laugh when I found it...now trash people don't freak out here...the coordinates said the last digit weren't important so it was a wide area to search. After two trips to that cache/stage and about an hour of looking I decrypted the hint...it was something like "Save the planet" so I figured it was recycling related. There was some blue ribbon wrapped around a tree close to the edge of the coordinate area so I concentrated much of my search around there (even convincing myself there was a missing metal tag that had been hanging on a tree). After about 2 hours I switched my GPSr to the sat. page to show me my coordinates as I walked around and got a better idea of the general area for my search. Noplace I hadn't already looked but got the general area better and stopped straying outside it.

"No Way!" I said out loud when I saw a small pile of trash within the general search area. Trash? Well...I saw a small pile of used aluminum cans (like 5) in the woods. Walked over and naturally one didn't move when I brushed over them...because it was full of plaster...with a big hunk of metal sticking out the side with N and W and a buncha numbers stamped in it...and as the 4th stage on a wet woodsy mystery (number of stages) multicache...was even nice enough to say at the top, "The coordinates for the cache are..."

I'll be taking my 11 year old nepher on that cache hunt when he's here visiting in 2 weeks...It's a good thing I love to laugh at myself...because I'm sure the stage that took me about 2½ hours on 2 different trips (got soaked to the bone the first time because I stupidly got back out of the Jeep telling myself it wasn't really gonna rain)...will take an 11 year old less than 5 minutes to find depending on which way he walks around the big thing that make the last # in the coordinates unnecessary.

And ok...since this is the place for pictures and not stories...I said this thread inspired me...I started working on one last week before I even got through all 50 pages. A 2 stager. The first stage will go into a hole in a tree so that when you pull it out you get the side with the post that the coords are written on. The second stage is a basic topless log. I'll hollow out a space as soon as I figure out what size container will be going in it.

Part 1...about 5" long 1" thick

<snipped>

I figure the slightly imperfect fit won't be noticeable unless you're looking for it. Someday I'll get a drillpress and a bandsaw...then they should be pretty hard to find even if you know what you're looking for :)

And the final

About a foot and a half long and maybe 5" wide.

<snipped>

Nice work!

montage.jpg

Sheer Brilliance! Bravo Zulu!

~J

PS... will you make me one?

montage.jpg

This is a very inventive cache! I like it a lot, too bad there aren't any like that around here. I would like to let you know something though. If you have a Garmin Nuvi (at least if you have a 200 or 650 and maybe others) there is a secret "hack" where it will take you to a bunch of test pages. One of the tests in these pages is a frequency tester where you can ANY frequency at any volume. You can start at zero and then move up through them fairly quickly. If someone who has a Nuvi and knows about the hack looks for the cache, they can unlock it very quickly without doing any research on the correct frequency. You find the page on getting to the page HERE (<--link).

montage.jpg

This is a very inventive cache! I like it a lot, too bad there aren't any like that around here. I would like to let you know something though. If you have a Garmin Nuvi (at least if you have a 200 or 650 and maybe others) there is a secret "hack" where it will take you to a bunch of test pages. One of the tests in these pages is a frequency tester where you can ANY frequency at any volume. You can start at zero and then move up through them fairly quickly. If someone who has a Nuvi and knows about the hack looks for the cache, they can unlock it very quickly without doing any research on the correct frequency. You find the page on getting to the page HERE (<--link).

Isn't half the fun supposed to be doing the research and learning a little something?

montage.jpg

Isn't half the fun supposed to be doing the research and learning a little something?

My post was simply informational. I personally would probably try it without know the frequency first just to see if it would work. I was only sharing info for others to use, not trample someones idea...

montage.jpg

I admire the intelligence and skill that went into constructing this cache container. But asking people to figure out the tone, record it and bring it with them to play at the cache may be too much. If they still gave away the whistle in the Captain Crunch cereal and all they had to do was come up with that, then maybe so. Also, there will be the cachers who will try alternate ways to open the cache container and tear it up. Most people sophisticated enough to own a computer and a gps would not do this, but don't count on it.

Hey all, long time no post.

I just received an email request for images from Hat_Man and somehow it hit me just right. In the last year or so I took down my page of cache container ideas and just deleted the email requests for cache photos. (sorry to those I blew off) I haven't sought a cache in over a year (and don't plan to) mainly because the game has changed so much. That "not really about the numbers" crap and the proliferation of instant-drop-a-cache is what has turned me off and away from caching. Today, Hat_Man helped me realize that anyone that wants to change that is OK in my book.

I've since put up a new, revamped page in my SmugMug gallery. Its located at http://danoh.smugmug.com/ in the CCC gallery. I've also added several descriptions and construction tips. An request via your GC.com account will get you the gallery password.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as snobby, just my way of sharing.

306291118_7UPmZ-M.jpg

I just made this one and Its out in an old aircraft scrap metal yard

Very kewl! In your other post you were asking about difficulty ratings. Because it's right out in the open, but "camo'ed" to look like any other piece of scrap, I'd probably rate this as a 3. My only concern with the container would be if it was waterproof. How much compression is on that seal? Does it ever rain there? I'm clueless regarding Iraqi weather conditions. If it never rains, it'll be fine. If it does, and the seal has enough compression, it'll be fine. Otherwise, you might look into fitting a Lock & Lock inside your container.

Great job!

OK. First off, I'll admit that I'm a newbie here. But, man some of these hides are unbelievable! So far I've had pretty good numbers with regards to finds but, now that I know I'll be going up against some of these.....it's gotta be the A-Game at all times. Now I'm sure everyone is smart about placement. Common sense would dictate but, I could see how someone might mistake a few of these for "Suspicious" items. The mechanical birdhouse is genius. But in the wrong loacation I could see someone becoming a little concerned.

Just me $.02......

I just made this one and out it in an old aircraft scrap metal yard

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01325.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

Neat idea, but it's placement might get it pulled during a CITO...

Not likely. It's in a JUNKYARD!! LOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of these hides are just PURE EVIL :)

Here is one that i have received good feedback from. I call it lonesome dove.

DOVECACHE.jpg

These are fun and can give you quite a scare while digging through a pine tree thinking you're looking for something else. Wal-Mart had them for a while for about $2.00. There are a few of those hides around here and some of the logs are pretty good.

Edited by kingsting

montage.jpg

That is one of the coolest ideas for a geocache I've ever seen. I'm jealous that I can't come and find it. Keep up the good work!

How's about this one? Anyone who caches in New Hampshire, I'd like to ask you not to check it out so as not to spoil it in case you decide to seek it. I still have about another week before it goes public, but here's a sneek peek for everyone else:

I'd like any comments or suggestions, but if it is something that would spoil it for others, maybe you could email or PM me. I've been working steadily on it since early February and will be happy to finally, officially launch it :ph34r:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first hide finally went public this week and I couldn't be happier with the response so far ;) I was surprised to find a few log entries the very first afternoon (Thursday) and several more since then. I'm having a blast watching the trades being made and reading what people have posted on the cache page. If anyone wants to seek it, it is located in Nashua, New Hampshire under the Name "Nashaun's First Cache", # GC1D56C.

Edited by nashuan

Here's one I just finished that took a camo taped Lock&Lock a step further by adding artificial ivy:

Ivy-Camo.jpg

All of the items used were bought at Walmart. Sixty Ounce Lock&Lock, camo duck tape and artificial hanging ivy all cost about ten bucks. After placing the cache I walked off and came right back to it checking the coordinates and couldn't find it! After I did find it, I took a photo or two for future reference. I'm thinking this will work good with those cachers who don't re-hide your cache very well.

This cache container is used with my "Impaired" puzzle cache hidden in Tallahassee, Florida. For those of you who enjoy solving puzzle caches, I would appreciate your feed back on it, by email of course.

Edited by Tally Dragon

Here's one I just finished that took a camo taped Lock&Lock a step further by adding artificial ivy:

Ivy-Camo.jpg

All of the items used were bought at Walmart. Sixty Ounce Lock&Lock, camo duck tape and artificial hanging ivy all cost about ten bucks. After placing the cache I walked off and came right back to it checking the coordinates and couldn't find it! After I did find it, I took a photo or two for future reference. I'm thinking this will work good with those cachers who don't re-hide your cache very well.

This cache container is used with my "Impaired" puzzle cache hidden in Tallahassee, Florida. For those of you who enjoy solving puzzle caches, I would appreciate your feed back on it, by email of course.

The image is broken.

Ivy-Camo.jpg

The image is broken.

I see it okay.

We have at least two of these types in the DFW area...the most evil I have faced yet.

I found this one (urban setting) without a GPSr, using only Google Maps.

We have some pretty good camo kings and queens in the DFW area and I have only scratched the surface.

The two links give me 404 errors (Not Found).

Well, I was looking for a way to fix the original posts but failed, so here are the links:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcwtlg/Memorab...492445463292082

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcwtlg/Memorab...492448266491346

Sorry about the broken links.