Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

905b404e-efb3-45d6-bf20-2f68d6ef5d11.jpg

Now thats a heck of a micro.

Someone just put a Multi-Stage in the state here (Connecticut), and used a similar container, stuck into a molded piece of plaster, and painted to look like something the wildlife would leave BEHIND (yes from that end). When I saw it, I thought.. EWW! Gross! till I looked harder, and tapped it with my hiking stick.. The wildlife must've thought I lost it I was laughing so hard.

Wish I brought the camera... It was hilarious! Stephen (gelfling6)

Does anyone have pictures of the rebar container that was discussed a while back in here? It's no longer pictured on e-bay. Thanks

Early on, someone was archiving all these photos to a different website, but I don't remember what it was. If you keep redding the old posts, you'll eventually bump into it.

As I recall, the 'rebar cache' was a small piece of rebar on top of a small cache (perhaps a cryotube) and dropped into a hole in one of those concrete parking spot curbs.

Smokiewold,

It was a pretty simple setup.. just a bison tube connected to the end of a piece of rebar. I think they had welded a ring to the end and then attached the bison tube to it. They then put in it one of the concrete parking lot barriers your car hits.

Does anyone have pictures of the rebar container that was discussed a while back in here? It's no longer pictured on e-bay. Thanks

Clever caches do not promote damage to private property. It is cachers with heavy hands and no brain power that do the damage. Just because you can't find it doesn't mean you need to take out a screwdriver and start disassembling things.

that is a silly statement. I mean, if the "clever cache" as you call it, did not look like a 3,000 volt electrical box, or a loose wire, or a sprinkler head....I am pretty sure I would not grab it. My concern was not those that get out their toolbelt, rather kids or adults grabbing an outlet or a wire or a junction box with their bare hands and getting hurt or worse because they thought it mught be a "clever cache" and it turned out not to be. I am only pointing out that we all may want to consider, or reconsider as it were, that we may want to deviate from this type of disguise. It really can only lead to harm in the form of vandalism, or harm in the form of injury.

Keep in mind, I founud a nice one here in MIchigan called "BURIED CABLE". it was an outlet on a fence in a park. I loved it....but it made me consider the idea of "what if it was a real one..and my son grabbed it?" Scary. :)

Clever caches do not promote damage to private property. It is cachers with heavy hands and no brain power that do the damage. Just because you can't find it doesn't mean you need to take out a screwdriver and start disassembling things.
that is a silly statement. I mean, if the "clever cache" as you call it, did not look like a 3,000 volt electrical box, or a loose wire, or a sprinkler head....I am pretty sure I would not grab it. My concern was not those that get out their toolbelt, rather kids or adults grabbing an outlet or a wire or a junction box with their bare hands and getting hurt or worse because they thought it mught be a "clever cache" and it turned out not to be. I am only pointing out that we all may want to consider, or reconsider as it were, that we may want to deviate from this type of disguise. It really can only lead to harm in the form of vandalism, or harm in the form of injury.

Keep in mind, I founud a nice one here in MIchigan called "BURIED CABLE". it was an outlet on a fence in a park. I loved it....but it made me consider the idea of "what if it was a real one..and my son grabbed it?" Scary. :)

Why don't you discuss that issue in a more appropriate thread, so this one doesn't get shut down.

Thanks.

Edited by sbell111

It's funny after I read this thread I thouht I had found a "CCC". I was looking in a bush looking for a micro and thought I saw what was a fake bird with the cache in it. When I saw the eyes of the "fake bird" move I knew I should get outta there. It was sitting on it's nest, and it freaked me out. I was about to lift it up! :-0

Here is one I have at my shop.

reset%20closed.JPGreset%20open.JPG

Wow Square D. You buy the expensive electical parts. :) Very inspiring.

For the most part I won't hunt electrical hides and don't think they should be allowed. Pretty dangerous, but I might make exceptions for fakes with no connections and clearly marked with geocache/geocaching or the symbol. I'd probably hunt this one.

There is a recent thread to discuss this very issue. Why don't you post your concerns in that one, instead of continuing to drag this great thread off topic and risk it being locked? :)

Here's one that I just disabled due to continuous technical difficulties. The design was flawed from the start, and I am currently rebuilding to make the container more waterproof.

Can you see the cache?

cache1-1.jpg

How about a little closer?

cache2-1.jpg

The log is rolled up on a 1/4" bolt through the lid and slid up inside the housing.

I hollowed out the fungus and filled it with hot glue, inserting a plastic sleeve. Then I coated the outside with fiberglass resin and while it was still wet, rolled it in garden dirt to take off the sheen. The idea was great, but somehow moisture was wicking up from the bottom and wetting the log.

edited to show the log

cache3.jpg

Edited by Team Magic

Here's one that I just disabled due to continuous technical difficulties. The design was flawed from the start, and I am currently rebuilding to make the container more waterproof.

Can you see the cache?

cache1-1.jpg

How about a little closer?

cache2-1.jpg

The log is rolled up on a 1/4" bolt through the lid and slid up inside the housing.

I hollowed out the fungus and filled it with hot glue, inserting a plastic sleeve. Then I coated the outside with fiberglass resin and while it was still wet, rolled it in garden dirt to take off the sheen. The idea was great, but somehow moisture was wicking up from the bottom and wetting the log.

edited to show the log

cache3.jpg

Just use some waterproof paper! You can cut up one of those really tuff white postal envelope from the post office. The ones you can't tear!

cache3.jpg

I've seen some like that around here. They have a small bison tube in them, and so far have stayed dry.

:o

At the risk of running afoul of the "no electrical box" gang, I'll post these images. It is currently active, and well received. It is stuck on the inside wall of an old steel pump house near a wetlands nature trail, that has been moved aside to make way for the new pump house. There are a couple of other rusty old switches and receptacle boxes there as well that aren't connected to anything either. Mine just looks like one of the others.

Those are hard drive magnets pop riveted to the cut-away back of the receptacle box. The guts of the receptacle are gone, with only the front of it left, leaving room for the pill bottle micro.

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

plug3.jpg

Edited by BC & MsKitty
LOL!!!! :D:D:o

The first dog to grab this cache will be in for quite the surprise!! This tennis ball is filled with concrete!! (not a nice "chewy-toy", if you know what I mean). ;)

"Someone's goin' to the "vehhh . . . ettt"*

*[in my best "neener . . . neener" voice]. :D:D

:D

Rick

Ummm...growing up, I had a dog that played with rocks. She would throw them in the air and catch them. I think she would definitely play with a concrete tennis ball.

By the way -- it's a very cool cache container!

Bec

We carefully took apart a golf ball with an elastic core and we unwound a continuious piece of elastic. we rand it all through the hosue and let it go, and zoom off it went.

i have a cache that im making that may be considered a CCC. It's a birdhouse(already made, due to the fact that i made birdhouses for my Eagle Scout project), with a REAL birdnest(birds were long gone by the time it was knocked down), fake eggs and a fake bird that looks real, along a trail near here on a tree. just want to hear thoughts on it before i put it up

I wanted to hide a large cache in my area so i purchased a large ammo can and added a bunch of greenery. it is now sitting in a woodsy area and fellow cachers tell me they only find it after tripping over it.

this is the before

04-08-08_1220.jpg

this is the after

015.jpg

heading out to hide the cache.

016.jpg

Edited by geosilly

Hide an Eyesore Under a Movable Faux Boulder

No one but you will know that the landscape boulder in your yard conceals a well cover, water shut-off, electrical box or some other unsightly mechanism. Made of Thermostone plastic composite, this faux boulder withstands the harshest elements, yet weighs only 10 pounds, so you can move them for easy access.

Fake Stone

Mock Rock

Hollow Rock

I don't know about you, but that's one expensive cache!! I just make mine out of concrete and pay the doctors to fix my back later!! ; )

Edited by meralgia

I am totally new at this. Only gone out one time before and I just spent a good hour looking through all of these.

I am so scared now :D Seriously how can I possibly expect to find a freaking pinecone for example. And those tiny tiny things... no thank you.

I am totally new at this. Only gone out one time before and I just spent a good hour looking through all of these.

I am so scared now :D Seriously how can I possibly expect to find a freaking pinecone for example. And those tiny tiny things... no thank you.

Start off with regular, traditional caches until you've found a few before you attempt the micros or more evil type hides and you'll be fine.

DoubleHelix.jpg

Looks like a cache that would get the landscaping tore up around it. Its also a cache I would pass on.

In 50 some pages of caches this perhaps might be the most evil. While I understand some of the previous comments, I can find some things to like about it. Sure you would have to somehow wordsmith the page so that people will not root through the landscape but hey... it is RIGHT THERE in plain sight.

I like it. It would drive me crazy. In the end, I would laugh.

DoubleHelix.jpg

Looks like a cache that would get the landscaping tore up around it. Its also a cache I would pass on.

In 50 some pages of caches this perhaps might be the most evil. While I understand some of the previous comments, I can find some things to like about it. Sure you would have to somehow wordsmith the page so that people will not root through the landscape but hey... it is RIGHT THERE in plain sight.

Thanks for the positive comment. The cache listing made it very clear that it was hidden in plain sight. Nothing had to be moved to find it. Also the ivy bed was elevated an ran along a wall so there was no way of the surrounding ivy to be trampled or damaged.

DoubleHelix.jpg

Thanks for the positive comment. The cache listing made it very clear that it was hidden in plain sight. Nothing had to be moved to find it. Also the ivy bed was elevated an ran along a wall so there was no way of the surrounding ivy to be trampled or damaged.

I guess I don't see the skill in hiding a cache like that - a needle in a haystack so to speak. I prefer the camo jobs that people do on large ammo cans and the like. That's much more impressive to me.

There's a guy in my area that hides stuff like the cache pictured and the find logs are generally something along the lines of "glad to cross this one off my to-do list". Rather a left handed compliment IMO.

This may have been addressed enough but I just want to also say that I think there is a difference. I credit the creators of some of these boxes for their creativity and Inventiveness or whatever you would call it. However, I do think it goes in a bad direction in that it may encourage children or others to tamper with dangerous items while they are caching. Not knowing if an electical box in an urban location is real or a setup. I don't think one wants to encourage people to open electrical outlets or Junction boxes thinking that they MIGHT house a cache. With all do respect, I just feel it is something that shouldn't be done.

I guess though, there is a very small amount of lee way though if the box is placed in a totally ubsurd location where there is no doubt that it is a cache. Like in the middle of the wilderness where there is NO expectation of an electrical connection. But then, what would the point of that be if you placed something so obvious in an environment that finders could see it from 100yds off.

EDIT: I guess I replied to the wrong post. I was commenting on the comparison of one writer to falling and tripping, falling off the side of a mountain or cliff or having a car accident while searching for caches. Comparing accidents of that sort to something that some may argue, actively confuses some items and encourages the tampering with utilities, whether it be gas, electric, sewer, water or communications (cable or phone services) etc. in search of caches, may be misguided. Like I said though, if the cach is in a totally obsurd place it might be different but in an urban environment or where such items would be plentiful and expected, I don't feel it is wise.

Just a few thoughts.

Here's one that I place a while back. It sits at a turn out with a great view of the Knik Arm in South Central Alaska. It's a metal junction box with conduit sticking out the bottom. It's held to the guard rail with a magnet I scavenged off of an old speaker. (Link to cache page)

And you are encouraging people to play in electrical boxes why? So what happens when some kids looks for your next caches and thinks it is the same hide "technique" and dies from an electrical shock? Will you still think your container is so cool?

Very clever, although I agree there is that danger of encouraging people to start searching live equipment.

To make this one 'perfect' a very small geocacing logo, GC#, or even 'pnpur' added to the bottom corner - or anywhere discrete but visible - would be wise. Still keeps muggles at bay, needs a good look (but no touching) to confirm the container, and doesn't ruin the fun element.

Edited by wmas1960

This may have been addressed enough but I just want to also say that I think there is a difference. I credit the creators of some of these boxes for their creativity and Inventiveness or whatever you would call it. However, I do think it goes in a bad direction in that it may encourage children or others to tamper with dangerous items while they are caching. Not knowing if an electical box in an urban location is real or a setup. I don't think one wants to encourage people to open electrical outlets or Junction boxes thinking that they MIGHT house a cache. With all do respect, I just feel it is something that shouldn't be done.

I guess though, there is a very small amount of lee way though if the box is placed in a totally ubsurd location where there is no doubt that it is a cache. Like in the middle of the wilderness where there is NO expectation of an electrical connection. But then, what would the point of that be if you placed something so obvious in an environment that finders could see it from 100yds off.

Just a few thoughts.

Here's one that I place a while back. It sits at a turn out with a great view of the Knik Arm in South Central Alaska. It's a metal junction box with conduit sticking out the bottom. It's held to the guard rail with a magnet I scavenged off of an old speaker. (Link to cache page)

And you are encouraging people to play in electrical boxes why? So what happens when some kids looks for your next caches and thinks it is the same hide "technique" and dies from an electrical shock? Will you still think your container is so cool?

Very clever, although I agree there is that danger of encouraging people to start searching live equipment.

To make this one 'perfect' a very small geocacing logo, GC#, or even 'pnpur' added to the bottom corner - or anywhere discrete but visible - would be wise. Still keeps muggles at bay, needs a good look (but no touching) to confirm the container, and doesn't ruin the fun element.

It will be a sad day when this thread gets closed down. It would be nice if we could argue on the other threads that discus these concerns.

I guess I don't see the skill in hiding a cache like that - a needle in a haystack so to speak. I prefer the camo jobs that people do on large ammo cans and the like. That's much more impressive to me.

There's a guy in my area that hides stuff like the cache pictured and the find logs are generally something along the lines of "glad to cross this one off my to-do list". Rather a left handed compliment IMO.

I too am impressed to see all of the neat things people can glue to an ammo box. But what I like about this cache is that if you found 5000 caches, this will probably be the only one that is an ivy leaf. In that same 5000, you are going to find a ton of fake rocks and certainly your share of cammoed ammo cans. It's definitely a matter of taste but I think this is pretty out of the box cache hiding and I have an appreciation for that.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

DoubleHelix.jpg

Well lucky for you, I archived it.

Bigg Daddy, the geo-world is a lesser place because of the archiving. Personally, I find that cache to be one of those incredibly clever micros that raise the bar for all others. You could've plopped a film canister in there and some folks would've been tickled pink. Instead, you went above and beyond, actually creating something that really fit in the environment. Kudos, Sir!

Bigg Daddy, the geo-world is a lesser place because of the archiving. Personally, I find that cache to be one of those incredibly clever micros that raise the bar for all others. You could've plopped a film canister in there and some folks would've been tickled pink. Instead, you went above and beyond, actually creating something that really fit in the environment. Kudos, Sir!

I agree. I think it is totally cool, frustrating yes, but very creative. Wish where I lived something like that could stand up to the elements, I might have copied it and made something similar! :grin:

I've been kicking around the idea of casting my own fake rocks out of tinted concrete for a while. I have had a bit of time on my hands during the last few weeks, so I finally tried it. This is the first one...

163351e4-3982-494b-94af-dcd3bc367fa1.jpg

I just cast my 1st one today.. (Sorry, no photos yet.) 1st time ever, mixing the concrete mix.. 1st problem I'm seeing, the latex modeling material soaked-up some of the excess water, and turned whitish again.. I hope it's not ruined.. (Methinks I should've coated the inside 1st, with silicone spray.)

Letting it sit til Tuesday.. Container is a clear acrylic "Bead" container, from Michaels Arts & Crafts. (about 3/4 the size of a film canister same material screw-on cap.) I cut the top off a Gaterade bottle, and cut the center to fit the container, so it would be indented into the concrete..

I think I also put too much water into the mix.. so, time will tell.. For now, it's locked-up in a schoolbus service garage, out of harms way.

Stephen (gelfling6)

I've been kicking around the idea of casting my own fake rocks out of tinted concrete for a while. I have had a bit of time on my hands during the last few weeks, so I finally tried it. This is the first one...

<snip>

I just cast my 1st one today.. (Sorry, no photos yet.) 1st time ever, mixing the concrete mix.. 1st problem I'm seeing, the latex modeling material soaked-up some of the excess water, and turned whitish again.. I hope it's not ruined.. (Methinks I should've coated the inside 1st, with silicone spray.)

Letting it sit til Tuesday.. Container is a clear acrylic "Bead" container, from Michaels Arts & Crafts. (about 3/4 the size of a film canister same material screw-on cap.) I cut the top off a Gaterade bottle, and cut the center to fit the container, so it would be indented into the concrete..

I think I also put too much water into the mix.. so, time will tell.. For now, it's locked-up in a schoolbus service garage, out of harms way.

Stephen (gelfling6)

The water shouldn't have any real affect on the latex, as long as it is completely cured.

also, I found that it was best to remove the rock from the mold after one day and then let it cure for an additional few days. If the rock was left in the mold for a longer period, the mold would stick in the tight little crevises, damaging the mold.

How's about this one? Anyone who caches in New Hampshire, I'd like to ask you not to check it out so as to keep the surprise in case you decide to look for it. I still have about another week before it goes public, but here's a sneek peek for everyone else:

I'd like any comments or suggestions, but if it is something that would spoil it for others, maybe you could email or PM me. I've been working steadily on it since early February and will be happy to finally, officially launch it :anibad:

How's about this one? Anyone who caches in New Hampshire, I'd like to ask you not to check it out so as to keep the surprise in case you decide to look for it. I still have about another week before it goes public, but here's a sneek peek for everyone else:

I'd like any comments or suggestions, but if it is something that would spoil it for others, maybe you could email or PM me. I've been working steadily on it since early February and will be happy to finally, officially launch it :laughing:

WOW. Totally WOW. now that is a cache.

I'd like any comments or suggestions, but if it is something that would spoil it for others, maybe you could email or PM me. I've been working steadily on it since early February and will be happy to finally, officially launch it :laughing:

Holy smoke! I'm curious where that's going to be hidden.

I don't know if it was intentional, but I really thought I was looking at something else until the 1:10 mark, which made it extra amusing.

Edited by Dinoprophet