Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I've been playing around with colors trying to get smoething that I really like. The one in the previous picture was a mix of portland cement, white sand, a hardener, and water. I considered using either fiber strands or wire for reinforcement, but I was concerned about their visual affect. I dont think it is necessary do to the size of the item.

I created the mold using liquid latex rubber. I brushed thin layers of latex on my model rock, allowing each to dry before the next was applied. I guess I put about fifteen layers on it over a few weeks. Then, I put a really thick one on to ensure that the corners and base would be strong enough.

Attached, you will find a pic of the rocks I made so far (and the mold). The real rock is in the upper middle. I am getting pretty good at matching it's appearance. I put the previously photographed rock on ebay. I figured I would place a few, give a few away, and sell a few to recoup my costs.

edit to add the pic. <doh>

08af2d5f-1cb3-4e01-9381-e41169c6b22b.jpg

It's awesome work. Difficult to even tell the real one when you clearly state it.

I placed a cache with a far less convincing container, and it's difficult for people, so I can only image the fun they have with yours!

Thanks.
Right, that is a preform glued inside a coke bottle with the original top cut off.
Have to be careful with good CITO folks. I have a stage of a multi that's a Diet Dr. Pepper can safe that the top screws off off and one group of cachers picked it up and was going to trash, but after walking around and coming up empty, one of them double checked their CITO booty and realized it WAS the stage! Things that "look" like trash may end up treated like trash rather then cache... especially if placed out in the wilderness.

Kinda growly ain't you?

People fall off cliffs all the time. Are you going to stop hides on steep slopes as well?

People break their ankle stepping off curbs wrong. Are you going to stop walking to caches as well?

People get killed in car wrecks everyday. Stop driving to caches as well?

People get stung and die. Are you going to stop going outside to caches as well?

People die from eating foods they are allergic to. Are you gong to stop that as well?

I know several of these are over the top but where do you wanna stop at?

Kids should be supervised by an adult when out cache hunting.

It only takes a little common sense to know when to stop.

The others get out of the gene pool.

Logscaler.

Can you seriously compare tripping and falling, bad driving, or any of these other things to placing something into a game atmosphere to confuse another, when the end result next time could be their life? As someone who trained for years as an electrician, and has seen the effects of what a body looks like when it burns from the inside out, I think the common sense needs to lay with the hider as well as the finder. If the hider is smart enough to protect those who aren't then the game will be better for all. Common sense isn't a factor when a large portion of the community are after a smiley. The ends justifies the means.

On all electrical outlets and other device there is always a warning that messing with it could hurt you.

On his cache there isn't, so when they find it and start looking for another of his cache they might suspect an electrical box at first, but when they see the warning they will know thats not it.

This thread is really neat.

I've just zipped through it and thought of these canisters sold by Lee Valley.

99k3875av3.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...amp;cat=1,43326

$1.50, machined anodized aluminum, rubber o-ring, completely weather-proof.

BTW If you call or write them they will send you free woodworking, woodturning, hardware and gardening catalogs.

I am in no way affiliated with the company, just a very satisfied customer.

Edited by goggled-duck

I used one of those for a cache, appropriately-named "Cone-shaped." :grin:

However, the o-ring broke and fell off, so the container is not as waterproof as it was. I need to get back down there with a new bison tube to fix it . . .

df31483b-494f-46d9-bb5c-23cee104158a.jpg

A pine cone in an aspen tree. Man that is some tuff camo ;)

Edited by jholly

This thread is really neat.

I've just zipped through it and thought of these canisters sold by Lee Valley.

99k3875av3.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...amp;cat=1,43326

$1.50, machined anodized aluminum, rubber o-ring, completely weather-proof.

BTW If you call or write them they will send you free woodworking, woodturning, hardware and gardening catalogs.

I am in no way affiliated with the company, just a very satisfied customer.

Hey, this thread is called "Cool Cache Containers", not "Overdone Cache Containers", ;)

I used one of those for a cache, appropriately-named "Cone-shaped." ;)

However, the o-ring broke and fell off, so the container is not as waterproof as it was. I need to get back down there with a new bison tube to fix it . . .

A pine cone in an aspen tree. Man that is some tuff camo :D

Actually, it is a pine cone in an oak tree . . . that makes all the difference . . . :grin:;):D

I used one of those for a cache, appropriately-named "Cone-shaped." :P

Actually, it is a pine cone in an oak tree . . . that makes all the difference . . . :D:DB)

I bet it still fools lots of people! Hiding it in the right species of tree would be just plain mean - wouldn't it? :D

Skisidedown

I used one of those for a cache, appropriately-named "Cone-shaped." :P

Actually, it is a pine cone in an oak tree . . . that makes all the difference . . . :D:DB)

I bet it still fools lots of people! Hiding it in the right species of tree would be just plain mean - wouldn't it? :D

Skisidedown

Yes! I've hunted a few of these in pine trees, some with many many of their own real cones hanging there. Of course, after a few have searched for it, there aren't any real ones left on the tree!

This topic has definitely been enlightening. This makes me want to go back to a few DNFs of mine.

Reminds me of a few caches in the area that are bison tubes, hidden in drains, but instead of being magnetic, they are hanging from fishing line.

I never thought of that...

Yes! I've hunted a few of these in pine trees, some with many many of their own real cones hanging there. Of course, after a few have searched for it, there aren't any real ones left on the tree!

In my opinion putting in the oak tree is what transforms it from tedious into hard.

I have a hollowed out white birch branch as one of my caches. It is hanging from a tree and there isn't a white birch for hundreds of feet. Yet I've watched a group of about half a dozen cachers stare right at it and move on.

here is a cache stage that I am proud of...

This is part of a multicache in an area full of muggles. I work at a local college and this stage is right outside of my office window. I have enjoyed watching this people looking very hard for this stage.

m_cd1543b5916b204b0a9708dae766942e.jpg

Looks like a rock

l_8e39b19428aa759873d639be7d82295e.jpg

Remove the rock and there is a tube in the ground

l_7ad0546a7b4b2077c1d63b91662176f1.jpg

This item sits on and in the tube

In my opinion putting in the oak tree is what transforms it from tedious into hard.

I have a hollowed out white birch branch as one of my caches. It is hanging from a tree and there isn't a white birch for hundreds of feet. Yet I've watched a group of about half a dozen cachers stare right at it and move on.

Yup, 'cause they see "dead, broken branch" and move along. I hope I would know better (I think my father would be appaled if I missed something like that - all that time walking in the woods that he said "thats a ___, and that is a ____", wasted!), but I bet I'd miss it, even after reading these!

I've been resisting posting this one until the cache was recovered after I archived it. This is one of my first attempts at birch bark camo, using real bark.

The container is a 1 pound plastic tobacco can, complete with the humidity pad left in the lid. The real birch bark was hot glued around the container after I hot glued part of a branch to the lid, then cut apart with a knife at the lid/container line.

This cache was on the ground all winter, buried in snow, and the camo is of course, flaking off.... I need to come up with a method of using real birch bark that will not degrade over time.

Cache2.jpg

Cache1.jpg

BTW, the contents are dry and in perfect condition. I use the tobacco cans quite often as cache containers, and only the 2 pound ones have failed on a regular basis. The 1 pound cans seem to survive almost any conditions.

Pearceley Puzzle

I've been resisting posting this one until the cache was recovered after I archived it. This is one of my first attempts at birch bark camo, using real bark.

The container is a 1 pound plastic tobacco can, complete with the humidity pad left in the lid. The real birch bark was hot glued around the container after I hot glued part of a branch to the lid, then cut apart with a knife at the lid/container line.

This cache was on the ground all winter, buried in snow, and the camo is of course, flaking off.... I need to come up with a method of using real birch bark that will not degrade over time.

Very Nice

Here's one I went after the FTF on tonight. One of our local hiders is very clever with his 'containers'. We never know what to expect, and this was no exception! The listing is hilarious! (GC1B9DK)

I forgot to take my camera with me and snapped these photos with my phone, so the quality is not the best.

The hide area:

Randolph-Nanosed-1.jpg

The name of the cache is Randolph the Nanosed Reindeer.. a closer look at GZ, do you see it yet?

Randolph-Nanosed-2.jpg

And an even closer look:

Randolph-Nanosed-3.jpg

Yes, I got the FTF! And permission from the owner to post these (thanks, Mike!). :laughing:

Saw these pics posted in another thread. I love the idea of custom containers. The fav one I found was a log that was split and made into a container. Please post pics or discriptions if you do not have any pics of Cool Custom Cache Containers (ok CCCC's now)

pinecone3.jpgpinecone2.jpgpinecone.jpg

that looks crazy and to tell the truth i would probably never find it, unless the hint says its a pine cone

We have a group of "cowboys" out here who put out the most ingenious caches.

Of the 14 I found yesterday, several were by these guys. One entails bringing a 15-foot (preferably, although we used a 12') ladder.

The funniest one was a huge blue barrel out in the scrub brush. Inside the barrel was a five-gallon water bottle. Inside the water bottle were more than 60 35mm film canisters. :D

Only one film canister would come out the neck of the bottle at a time and you had to get the one that had the log book in it in order to be able to sign the log.

It took us 58 tries . . . :D

Another one was an atypical Altoids mint container.

AnyoneForAltoids.jpg

There were 62 Altoids mint containers, and only one held the log . . .

After doing the caches by these guys, finding Tupperware along side a trail is just, well, it's still fun . . . :D

:unsure::D:blink::lol::huh:;):D That's a good idea.

THAT'S SOOO EVIL!!! I LOVE IT!

This is a first waypoint of a multi-cache that was put out a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the cache was intruding on private property (specifically a squirels home). As soon as we got the cache in place, a squirel would push it out and chew on the container. After a couple of attempts at replacing the cache, we devised yet another devious hide for the first waypoint. The squirel never even thanked us!

treehole1nr6.jpg

treehole3mw4.jpg

Edited by frizz

This is a first waypoint of a multi-cache that was put out a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the cache was intruding on private property (specifically a squirels home). As soon as we got the cache in place, a squirel would push it out and chew on the container. After a couple of attempts at replacing the cache, we devised yet another devious hide for the first waypoint. The squirel never even thanked us!

treehole1nr6.th.jpg

treehole3mw4.th.jpg

I cant get your images to work.

I've recently made a container out of concrete that's supposed to look like a boulder. The lid is separate from the rest and a little heavy. Unfortunately, I need to find just the right shade of "rock" because the rock-look spray paint is a little too light. Any suggestions on those who have made rocks in the past on a color name the next time I run to the hardware store?

Edited by meralgia

I've recently made a container out of concrete that's supposed to look like a boulder. The lid is separate from the rest and a little heavy. Unfortunately, I need to find just the right shade of "rock" because the rock-look spray paint is a little too light. Any suggestions on those who have made rocks in the past on a color name the next time I run to the hardware store?

Don't use spray paint. It will rub off. I use colorants for concrete. That way the color goes all the way through the rock. You can find it out many outdoor/landscaping stores and even craft stores that sell the do-it-yourself stepping stone kits.

Here's an example.

Img0001.jpg

Don't use spray paint. It will rub off. I use colorants for concrete. That way the color goes all the way through the rock. You can find it out many outdoor/landscaping stores and even craft stores that sell the do-it-yourself stepping stone kits.

I also use concrete colorants, instead of paint. I also don't mix them in completely. This way, I get a more natural appearance, instead of a solid single color.

Here's a bad picture of mine, from early in the thread:

512cd9fe-fdea-4bc4-a4c1-e924124b58c6.jpg

Edited by sbell111

P1010288.jpg

P1010297.jpg

that's just evil

I understand I am not a "VET" cacher by any means. BUT! Isn't there some line where encouraging a dangerous or near vandalous exploration of items could backfire toward the property or toward the health and safety of the person? With caches like the yellow cut wire sticking out. Clever, but isn't it a possible lead in to touching electrical and gas etc items that we really should leave be? maybe not this time...but "hey, remember that one where the wire stuck out...or the electrical plug that popped off?" I know...all items should be labeled with a GEO sticker. but I am pretty sure I have yet to see label on some of these. :)

I am trying to encourage my son to find and create these...and what I have seen on the 20 pages....some are scary. :)

Also, maybe in these posts we should SHOW the labels we are using on some of these power/gas/outlet disguises.

There is one by me that is an outlet, going into the ground. It is called "buried cable". It has a label on it. So i know I am not breaking a law, damaging property, or hurting myself.

THAT IS ALL..... :):D:):):)

ANY THOUGHTS????

Edited by WHO-DEY

I also use concrete colorants, instead of paint. I also don't mix them in completely. This way, I get a more natural appearance, instead of a solid single color.

Here's a bad picture of mine, from early in the thread:

512cd9fe-fdea-4bc4-a4c1-e924124b58c6.jpg

AHA! That looks very familiar

Imagine that, I was completely unaware that I had hidden a genuine SBell111 geocache containing unit.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Oooo, you could try something that I've always wanted to try... MOSS! I can't remember the mixture to "make" moss, something like green paint mixed with beer and maybe water, then just "paint" on the mixture. Within a few days you should have moss growing on the rock that you made.

Somebody help me, what is the formula?

Oooo, you could try something that I've always wanted to try... MOSS! I can't remember the mixture to "make" moss, something like green paint mixed with beer and maybe water, then just "paint" on the mixture. Within a few days you should have moss growing on the rock that you made.

No green paint...just moss and buttermilk.

Moss Milkshake

Moss Milkshake

Just do better than the Mythbusters and be sure to finely grind the moss.

Moss Milkshake

This way works too.

1 can of beer

1/2 teaspoon sugar

Several clumps garden moss

You will also need a plastic container (with lid),

a blender and a paintbrush

To begin the recipe, first of all gather together several clumps of moss (moss can usually be found in moist, shady places) and crumble them into a blender. Then add the beer and sugar and blend just long enough to create a smooth, creamy consistency. Now pour the mixture into a plastic container.

Find a suitable damp and shady wall on to which you can apply your moss milkshake. Paint your chosen design onto the wall (either free-hand or using a stencil). If possible try to return to the area over the following weeks to ensure that the mixture is kept moist. Soon the bits of blended moss should begin to re-couperate into a whole rooted plant – maintaining your chosen design before eventually colonising the whole area.

P1010288.jpg

P1010297.jpg

that's just evil

I understand I am not a "VET" cacher by any means. BUT! Isn't there some line where encouraging a dangerous or near vandalous exploration of items could backfire toward the property or toward the health and safety of the person? With caches like the yellow cut wire sticking out. Clever, but isn't it a possible lead in to touching electrical and gas etc items that we really should leave be? maybe not this time...but "hey, remember that one where the wire stuck out...or the electrical plug that popped off?" I know...all items should be labeled with a GEO sticker. but I am pretty sure I have yet to see label on some of these. :D

I am trying to encourage my son to find and create these...and what I have seen on the 20 pages....some are scary. :D

Also, maybe in these posts we should SHOW the labels we are using on some of these power/gas/outlet disguises.

There is one by me that is an outlet, going into the ground. It is called "buried cable". It has a label on it. So i know I am not breaking a law, damaging property, or hurting myself.

THAT IS ALL..... :D:P:D:D:D

ANY THOUGHTS????

Caches like this are the main reason I rarely search for urban hides anymore. They end up promoting damage to private property...ie, real sprinkler heads, real electrical boxes etc etc.

Clever caches do not promote damage to private property. It is cachers with heavy hands and no brain power that do the damage. Just because you can't find it doesn't mean you need to take out a screwdriver and start disassembling things.

And Guns don't kill people the morons firing them off do. Which is why guns aren't allowed to be carried everywhere by anyone without special papers, certifications, fees etc.

Morons are everywhere and training them that fake wires, electrical boxes, etc. are safe to play with just because there is a geocache logo on it is wrong. Just ask McDonalds when they paid the old lady the million dollars because the hot coffee she ordered didn't specify that the coffee was hot on the container.

Clever caches do not promote damage to private property. It is cachers with heavy hands and no brain power that do the damage. Just because you can't find it doesn't mean you need to take out a screwdriver and start disassembling things.

Caches that require you to open electrical boxes, pull on wires or wiggle sprinkler heads do indeed promote damage to private property. All this talk of a geocaching sticker on caches like this is great but....I have never seen such a sticker in play.

The same sentiment holds true of residential caches. I've been visiting family in SoCal this month and was surprised at the number of caches hidden in fences, rock walls, hedges etc with no mention on the cache page that permission is granted to search for caches there. Maybe permission had been granted, maybe not, who knows? I prefer to limit my searches to public places or the boonies.