Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

AHA! Secrets revealed! *stalks south to infiniteMPG's cache* Even though I wouldn't know which cache this belongs to - I'd probably be one of the ones that sat on it without realizing it :rolleyes:
I only have about 230 to pick from and some of them are in North Carolina so GOOD LUCK! hehehehehe

Actually my only worry about posting camo jobs in here is giving away secrets to local wenches... errr, I mean local cachers....

Does anyone else worry about posting 'secrets of our hides' in here and ruining the fun for people seeking your caches? :blink:

From the Groundpeak guidelines: "Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

O please, you guys can submerge things,use water in electric fittings,use fake lightbulbs,fake wiring that's been cut,fake snakes & spiders....

Don't get holier than the pope

A nice little Lock-N-Lock tucked away inside. The lid is actually has a piece of plywood attached that is covered with Quick-crete and dipped in sand with a part of a plastic bottle cap wood screwed on to make sort of a handle. Made to fit snug in the block opening.

Fun times!

Wow, NIIICE

You just gave me a great idea. I'm sure some local cachers will hate you for it too.

:rolleyes:

Wow, NIIICE - You just gave me a great idea. I'm sure some local cachers will hate you for it too. :rolleyes:
Just so long as they hate me as much as the cachers around here already do! :blink: Muh-ha-ha-ha-ha....

Be sure to add to bottom of listing page --> ©infiniteMPG Hated 'n Lovin' It! Inc. :D

hehehehehehe

Wow, NIIICE - You just gave me a great idea. I'm sure some local cachers will hate you for it too. :rolleyes:
Just so long as they hate me as much as the cachers around here already do! :blink: Muh-ha-ha-ha-ha....

Be sure to add to bottom of listing page --> ©infiniteMPG Hated 'n Lovin' It! Inc. :D

hehehehehehe

Definitely, i'd love to share the blame

Last of my give-aways.... many of the places we hike and bike in the area are current or former cattle areas or very rural lands so running across old bleached skeletons or bones is not an unusual occurance. Occasionally I snag these when I'm out for reasons you'll see below. Of course I'd hate to try to explain what I'm doing mountain biking with this big bone in my hand but luckily have not been put in that situation... yet. When people run across the bones they look like this (of course this is sitting in the parking area before being taken to it's final resting place.... all bow) :

bone01.jpg

This is the bone supposedly in it's natural stae of being.

bone02.jpg

Another view of the other side... yup, just a bleached out cow bone.

bone03.jpg

But if you look at the end kind of closely.... you'll find.....

bone04.jpg

...out pops a waterproof match holder micro cache with a Quikrete custom cap job. In order to do this I mounted a screw in the cap of the match container so the Quikrete has something to hold to. Already had bored a hole in the bone so I inserted the match holder bottom in the hole and then wrapped plastic wrap over the bone. Pushed the cap thru the plastic wrap and threaded it on the base. Then just glopped on (yeah, "glop"... it's a geocaching cooking term) mixed Quikrete and let it dry for a couple days. Then pulled the Quikrete and match holder out, unscrewed the cap, removed the plastic and it was a perfect fit as it was molded in place! The Quikrete in the close up end view still was a little gray but as it dried completely in the sun it matched the bone perfectly.

Like I said, last give-away for the day.... :rolleyes:

AHA! Secrets revealed! *stalks south to infiniteMPG's cache* Even though I wouldn't know which cache this belongs to - I'd probably be one of the ones that sat on it without realizing it :rolleyes:
I only have about 230 to pick from and some of them are in North Carolina so GOOD LUCK! hehehehehe

Actually my only worry about posting camo jobs in here is giving away secrets to local wenches... errr, I mean local cachers....

Does anyone else worry about posting 'secrets of our hides' in here and ruining the fun for people seeking your caches? :)

You're the only "local" person I see frequently on the boards that posts pictures of caches at least.. I wouldn't worry about it - I see the forums like logs - it's bound to have spoilers, especially when you click on "cool cache containers" :D But it'd still be fun -

If anything it's inspiration! I've never found a cache that I've seen posted online, but I have seen similar cache containers/hides that gave me better ideas for how to approach looking for another cache - or given me better ideas for hiding my own. :D

If anything it's inspiration! I've never found a cache that I've seen posted online, but I have seen similar cache containers/hides that gave me better ideas for how to approach looking for another cache - or given me better ideas for hiding my own. :)
Well you can just wear an eye patch on both yer eyes when you see my posts or I'll have ya walkin' the plank! Arrrrrrgh!!!! hehehe

Been hesitant on posting too much but these are some of my favorites. And I don't think it would be obvious which cache they were to anyone who hasn't already found them. Haven't seen too many locals in here so not overly worried but hopefully it will spark someone's (evil) imagination :rolleyes: And anyone willing to spend days hogging out a tree trunk stump and haul the massive thing out to a hiding spot, more power to 'em! hehehehehe

Where did you get the "preform" tube from?

I used one in this cache, but have not seen any more since I found this one. I need another one in case this cache gets CITO and I have to replace it.

IMG_1149.jpg

Well, that's not actually a 'preform' any more, that's a soda bottle now. A preform all growed up! :rolleyes:

Do you have a bottler of carbonated beverages (soda, pop, coke, etc.) near you? If they bottle into the plastic bottles, they'll have probably have a sub-contractor that handles the preforms for them. The 'sub' takes the loose preforms and sends them through a processing system that aligns, runs through a heater, blow molds/inflates, labels and palletizes them to go to the bottler.

If you search the forums for 'preform' you'll find a link to a teacher supply place that sells them.

Cache On!

JohnTee

Edited by JohnTee

Where did you get the "preform" tube from?

I used one in this cache, but have not seen any more since I found this one. I need another one in case this cache gets CITO and I have to replace it.

IMG_1149.jpg

Well, that's not actually a 'preform' any more, that's a soda bottle now. A preform all growed up! :)

Do you have a bottler of carbonated beverages (soda, pop, coke, etc.) near you? If they bottle into the plastic bottles, they'll have probably have a sub-contractor that handles the preforms for them. The 'sub' takes the loose preforms and sends them through a processing system that aligns, runs through a heater, blow molds/inflates, labels and palletizes them to go to the bottler.

If you search the forums for 'preform' you'll find a link to a teacher supply place that sells them.

Cache On!

JohnTee

Looking closer at this one it looks like it still is! I think the preform has been inserted into a growed up one so the liquid (not soda I hope) can be seen while contents of preform stay dry. Notice the glue? line around the neck. Not bad, but a muggle on CITO duty may indeed get this one.

It's a preform and a pretty awesome job of building one into a 'junk' cache. I love that the bottle still is full of some soda-like liquid.

Right, that is a preform glued inside a coke bottle with the original top cut off.

The liquid in the bottle is non-toxic antifreeze with black food coloring.

Edit to say: Thanks for the link I have some on order.

Edited by Lakebum
Looking closer at this one it looks like it still is! I think the preform has been inserted into a growed up one so the liquid (not soda I hope) can be seen while contents of preform stay dry. Notice the glue? line around the neck. Not bad, but a muggle on CITO duty may indeed get this one.
We have a stage of a rural multi that is a soda can fridge safe where the can looks 100% real, weight, too. The top unscrews and the coords to the next stage are inside. One group of cachers grabbed it up to CITO and searched like mad and gave up. Then the cacher who picked it up took a second look and had an AHA! moment and then they had to figure out where to put it back to. Luckily they got it right!

Here's one that I place a while back. It sits at a turn out with a great view of the Knik Arm in South Central Alaska. It's a metal junction box with conduit sticking out the bottom. It's held to the guard rail with a magnet I scavenged off of an old speaker. (Link to cache page)

9fe4e020-5ab6-41d3-be39-09ea4cae1071.jpg

And you are encouraging people to play in electrical boxes why? So what happens when some kids looks for your next caches and thinks it is the same hide "technique" and dies from an electrical shock? Will you still think your container is so cool?

Here's one that I place a while back. It sits at a turn out with a great view of the Knik Arm in South Central Alaska. It's a metal junction box with conduit sticking out the bottom. It's held to the guard rail with a magnet I scavenged off of an old speaker. (Link to cache page)

9fe4e020-5ab6-41d3-be39-09ea4cae1071.jpg

And you are encouraging people to play in electrical boxes why? So what happens when some kids looks for your next caches and thinks it is the same hide "technique" and dies from an electrical shock? Will you still think your container is so cool?

Kinda growly ain't you?

People fall off cliffs all the time. Are you going to stop hides on steep slopes as well?

People break their ankle stepping off curbs wrong. Are you going to stop walking to caches as well?

People get killed in car wrecks everyday. Stop driving to caches as well?

People get stung and die. Are you going to stop going outside to caches as well?

People die from eating foods they are allergic to. Are you gong to stop that as well?

I know several of these are over the top but where do you wanna stop at?

Kids should be supervised by an adult when out cache hunting.

It only takes a little common sense to know when to stop.

The others get out of the gene pool.

Logscaler.

Kinda growly ain't you?

People fall off cliffs all the time. Are you going to stop hides on steep slopes as well?

People break their ankle stepping off curbs wrong. Are you going to stop walking to caches as well?

People get stung and die. Are you going to stop going outside to caches as well?

People die from eating foods they are allergic to. Are you gong to stop that as well?

Logscaler.

Can you seriously compare tripping and falling, bad driving, or any of these other things to placing something into a game atmosphere to confuse another, when the end result next time could be their life? As someone who trained for years as an electrician, and has seen the effects of what a body looks like when it burns from the inside out, I think the common sense needs to lay with the hider as well as the finder. If the hider is smart enough to protect those who aren't then the game will be better for all. Common sense isn't a factor when a large portion of the community are after a smiley. The ends justifies the means.

Very clever, although I agree there is that danger of encouraging people to start searching live equipment.

To make this one 'perfect' a very small geocacing logo, GC#, or even 'pnpur' added to the bottom corner - or anywhere discrete but visible - would be wise. Still keeps muggles at bay, needs a good look (but no touching) to confirm the container, and doesn't ruin the fun element.

I know this isn't "ground breaking" as far as cool, new designs BUT its my first cache I made. My first placed cache was my idea BUT I bought the container and modified it a bit (ie ripped all the guts out of it and painted some stuff on it). My second hide, in reviewers process, is a container my brother made and hid in another state. I liked it so he made me one :o

SOOOOOO

This is my handmade cache cover. It cost me under 12 bucks to make and fill with goodies LOL.

I spent just shy of 10 dollars at a local dollar store for the cache container and the goodies. The kids and I had a blast gathering all the dried ground cover and grasses on our own. I used my own hot glue gun and old flower box to finish off the cache. I plan on hiding this JUST inside the woods to prevent it getting eaten by a mower but not so far in that its only available to those who can freely go into the woods. The "leafy mound" lifts up and the cache container is tucked underneath safetly.

I hope you all like it - I'm proud :anibad:

cache_cover1.jpg

Edited by Carbon_n_kids

Can you seriously compare tripping and falling, bad driving, or any of these other things to placing something into a game atmosphere to confuse another, when the end result next time could be their life? As someone who trained for years as an electrician, and has seen the effects of what a body looks like when it burns from the inside out, I think the common sense needs to lay with the hider as well as the finder. If the hider is smart enough to protect those who aren't then the game will be better for all. Common sense isn't a factor when a large portion of the community are after a smiley. The ends justifies the means.

Yes I can, will and do.

But it is not worth arguing about in this forum.

Kinda growly ain't you?

Logscaler.

As someone trained as an electrician you must realize that all electrical hardware must conform to a code. Any junction box that has current strong enough to harm a human being must be designed to open with a tool. If you can open the enclosure by hand with no tools it is safe to open.

Does anyone know where I can get one these, or have the info to build one.

c37ca0d0-baef-468a-b4a4-7744c6f4aa5f.jpg

This is made from PVC pieces, you can get at most any hardware store. The ends are bought as is, and you may be able to get some short lenghths of the straight piece and cut to length.

This is made from PVC pieces, you can get at most any hardware store. The ends are bought as is, and you may be able to get some short lenghths of the straight piece and cut to length.

I know the parts are from a hardware store. It's the insides, I want to know about.

I know the parts are from a hardware store. It's the insides, I want to know about.

I made a larger version of this cache. Try searching for "Monkey Cache" if you dont have any luck let me know and I can help as best I can.

I made a larger version of this cache. Try searching for "Monkey Cache" if you dont have any luck let me know and I can help as best I can.

mp6.gif

Is this what you did on the inside?

Here is one of my favorite nano/micro size containers. I've made them in several sizes.

This particular one is a galvanized finish. They can be painted to match the surroundings or rusty.

A in the insert is a 1/2-13 nut with a 3/8x1/8 rare earth magnet fixed to it with JB Weld. The JB Weld is "puddled" to cover the complete magnet and provide a somewhat flat sutface to glue an o-ring to.

B is the 1/2-13 threaded rod bored out so that a standard nano log will fit.

This photo is not the actual location for this cache.

nutnboltcopy.jpg

I built this cache for one of our state events. I placed it along a trail that led to the Amphitheater. I used a piece of pvc with a botton to hold the log book and small swag. I was with several folks as we walked by it, and they never realized that it was a cache until they were given the coords.c687930f-a145-4d28-8f62-ae4f991ac817.jpg

Edited by Blaidd-Drwg

I built this cache for one of our state events. I placed it along a trail that led to the Amphitheater. I used a piece of pvc with a botton to hold the log book and small swag. I was with several folks as we walked by it, and they never realized that it was a cache until they were given the coords.cimg3189.jpg

*nix servers are case sensitive.

Image can be found here:

http://team-madog.net/images/CIMG3189.JPG

CIMG3189.JPG

mp6.gif

Is this what you did on the inside?

Very close to that yes. Mine is about twice the size the original so i had to make a few modifications due to the size.

I built this cache for one of our state events. I placed it along a trail that led to the Amphitheater. I used a piece of pvc with a botton to hold the log book and small swag. I was with several folks as we walked by it, and they never realized that it was a cache until they were given the coords.c687930f-a145-4d28-8f62-ae4f991ac817.jpg

This is a nicely done cache. :) It look right a home. :huh:

This isn't a standard "cool cache container" post. It's more of a "Requiem for a Multicache". A lot of the pictures in this thread show how the caches look before they've been placed; the pictures in this post show what they look like after they've been out there for a few years.

Back in 2004, we hid a four-part multi called "Something for Everyone". We were still newbies... it was only our second cache, and our first attempt at any kind of creative containers. While the stages were camouflaged, they weren't meant to be "evil hides". They were intended to be easily findable by cachers, though not obvious to any non-cachers who happened to be walking by.

I archived it yesterday, and when I brought all the pieces home, I decided to take pictures of them for this thread. Unfortunately I don't have any "before" pictures -- When I create caches, I'm always so anxious to get them out there that I always forget to take pictures before placing them. And of course now I'm also kicking myself for not having taken pictures of them while I was actually out there yesterday, to show how they blended in with their surroundings.

The first stage was a kids' trading post. (It was for kids who didn't want to walk the whole two-plus mile trail, but still wanted to find a "treasure".) It started off as a large rubbermaid container, about the size of a 9x13 cake pan. I glued artificial leaves all over the top and sides of it, and placed it in a wide leaf-filled crevice between two rocks. I pressed it down into the pile of leaves and pine needles so that the top of the container was flush with the top layer of leaves. The top container was completely visible, but it blended in so well with the surrounding leaves that it was hard to spot if you weren't looking for it.

Unfortunately I placed it in a spot that kids liked to hang around, and the first container was muggled after two years. I replaced it with something similar, but a little smaller. For this one, I glued fake leaves, craft-store moss, and pine needles to the cover, and did just a quick camo-paint job on the sides (since the sides were out of sight anyway). The paint has now started peeling off.

cea928f0-c98e-4d84-883f-26b3f9519009.jpg

In one corner of the conservation area was an old former apple orchard. Most of the trees had been cut down long ago, but there were still a few dead or almost-dead ones standing, scattered randomly around. One of them had a trunk that was almost entirely hollow. I found a very realistic-looking fake apple at a craft store, and made a laminated "leaf" with the coordinates to the next stage, and attached it to the apple stem with fishing line. (The "leaf" used to be green, but it has since faded to light brown.) I tucked the apple into the trunk of the hollow apple tree.

7d23991a-c891-4d65-9af1-8b1e75ee23f5.jpgba0b35de-dad0-4ff8-93d2-700a3c8175cd.jpg

For the third stage, I had found a good spot, but wasn't sure what to put there. It was an old stone wall, and I wanted something obvious enough that no cachers would have to move any stones, and yet natural-looking enough that no one else would think anything of it. Luckily for me, this was in November, and the craft store had some preserved gourds in a discount bin on the sidewalk. Big, brown, plain-looking ones; not the really shiny bright yellow-and-green ones. "Perfect!" I thought. ("She's nuts!" my co-crab thought.)

It was really similar in size and color to the stones in the wall. I laminated & taped the final coordinates to the bottom of the gourd, and placed it in a gourd-sized gap in the wall. When I retrieved it yesterday, I noticed that the tape was failing and would have needed replacement soon. But I was really impressed that the gourd had survived out there for four winters without any damage other than some weathering.

0fca830a-32d3-48e1-9d60-31707f3724da.jpg

886b48be-c75d-433e-b828-404350c762b3.jpg

The final was a .50-cal ammo can. It was hidden in an old, crumbling retaining wall made of old railroad ties, on a tree-covered slope between the trail and a pond. (The hint was "wood wall", and if you're standing in the middle of the trail about 30 feet from the cache, there is no wall visible in any direction. You have to walk down the hill through the trees almost to the pond, and when you're within about 5 feet of the cache you suddenly notice the remnant of the wall.)

The wall was kind of stair-shaped, and had lots of gaps in it. The gaps had lots of leaves, pine needles, and bits of broken branches in them. I decided to place the cache so that three sides were tucked into a corner of a large gap, and the other three sides were completely visible. I glued a bunch of dead-leaf-color fake leaves to the three exposed sides, trying to make sure that there were lots of loose flapping pieces around the edges to try to break up the straight lines of the ammo can. I had no idea how long the leaves would last, but they've done pretty well. A few are missing, and they have gotten a bit flattened down over the years, but overall it went a lot better than I expected.

the hidden sides: label, handle, and latch

8d2e3c39-d063-4b13-9be1-a223e616430e.jpg

the visible sides:

1b327a45-7c4a-4017-8a18-2b66eb3f5f72.jpg

And last, here's a picture of all four stages together, for some size perspective:

54cb7f77-4f51-48aa-8cff-e62d5140acdc.jpg

Here is one of my favorite nano/micro size containers. I've made them in several sizes.

This particular one is a galvanized finish. They can be painted to match the surroundings or rusty.

This photo is not the actual location for this cache.

nutnboltcopy.jpg

Nice variation on a bolt cache. I like it.

I've been playing around with colors trying to get smoething that I really like. The one in the previous picture was a mix of portland cement, white sand, a hardener, and water. I considered using either fiber strands or wire for reinforcement, but I was concerned about their visual affect. I dont think it is necessary do to the size of the item.

I created the mold using liquid latex rubber. I brushed thin layers of latex on my model rock, allowing each to dry before the next was applied. I guess I put about fifteen layers on it over a few weeks. Then, I put a really thick one on to ensure that the corners and base would be strong enough.

Attached, you will find a pic of the rocks I made so far (and the mold). The real rock is in the upper middle. I am getting pretty good at matching it's appearance. I put the previously photographed rock on ebay. I figured I would place a few, give a few away, and sell a few to recoup my costs.

edit to add the pic. <doh>

08af2d5f-1cb3-4e01-9381-e41169c6b22b.jpg

It's awesome work. Difficult to even tell the real one when you clearly state it.

I placed a cache with a far less convincing container, and it's difficult for people, so I can only image the fun they have with yours!