Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

Just had to archive this large ammo can cache in a cemetary, titled "Old George".

bae1bc38-6648-4319-99f3-232ded7c34d7.jpg

Bumped and deeply impressed after having consumed the ideas (for several hours now !) that some weird genius' created :D

This tombstone is my absolute favorite, CONGRATS, Canoe Guy! :smile:

I am about four months late in replying, but thank you very much! Don't know about that "weird genius" part, though! The cache is actually back up and is still a local favorite. This was originally located off in the woods by an old cemetery as a "forgotten" tombstone, but crews cleaned up the area around it and the stone is now out in the middle of a clear area. They have cleaned up several times around the stone but have never disturbed it!

Edited by Canoe Guy
5e701955-fb5c-40e8-ac7c-348fb2a92200.jpg

(If anyone seriously thinks that they have the perfect place to hide this, drop me an email and we'll discuss it)

Just thinkin' out loud:

Grind off the threads, then drill out the base and insert/glue another rare earth magnet into the hole. Find one of those big pipes that seem to blossom around strip malls. The 12" pipe that comes out of the ground, goes to a valve, then returns into the ground? Those things typically bristle with odd, dead end fittings that you could slip that gauge into.

How about just a piece of PVC U shaped into and out of the ground...looks kind of like a gas pipe...with the guage right at the top in the middle...could place that anywhere!

5e701955-fb5c-40e8-ac7c-348fb2a92200.jpg

(If anyone seriously thinks that they have the perfect place to hide this, drop me an email and we'll discuss it)

Just thinkin' out loud:

Grind off the threads, then drill out the base and insert/glue another rare earth magnet into the hole. Find one of those big pipes that seem to blossom around strip malls. The 12" pipe that comes out of the ground, goes to a valve, then returns into the ground? Those things typically bristle with odd, dead end fittings that you could slip that gauge into.

How about just a piece of PVC U shaped into and out of the ground...looks kind of like a gas pipe...with the guage right at the top in the middle...could place that anywhere!

Sorry bout previous post. I'd try, finding an old pipe, running a couple of old electrical wires from the pipe, through the pipe in the gauge and fixing firmly inside the gauge, then let it dangle by the wires resembling an old busted gauge. I'd bet most cachers won't recognize it's a pressure gauge.

What are some awesome homemade caches. Can you give instructions as to how to make them?

I have heard of a film canister with wood to make it look just like a real pinecone.

i made one of this one

the instruction is you cut all the part of the pine cone and glue it on your contenant.

me i took a cigar tube

you must be patient

We found one of these cute little containers hidden while on a 4 day camping/caching trip, couldn't wait to get home & google one up and wait for it to arrive. Sadly, the U.S. 50 caliber type aren't commercially produced (the skinny little german ammo cans are though). Once in a great while one will come up on the auction site, but they are gone in a flash with a $20 buy now link. What the heck, can't be *that* hard to make one, right? LOL. One week & a pile of scrap metal later, I finally had a functional facsimile. Everyone we showed it to went nuts over it, so I had to make a few more for friends. They are now quite close to commercially-produced in quality & making them 5 at a time production style I've gotten it down to about 1-1/2 hours working time for each unit, which measure 2"x1"x1-1/4" high.

2s9uc6g.jpg2iqmhdx.jpg

We found one of these cute little containers hidden while on a 4 day camping/caching trip, couldn't wait to get home & google one up and wait for it to arrive. Sadly, the U.S. 50 caliber type aren't commercially produced (the skinny little german ammo cans are though). Once in a great while one will come up on the auction site, but they are gone in a flash with a $20 buy now link. What the heck, can't be *that* hard to make one, right? LOL. One week & a pile of scrap metal later, I finally had a functional facsimile. Everyone we showed it to went nuts over it, so I had to make a few more for friends. They are now quite close to commercially-produced in quality & making them 5 at a time production style I've gotten it down to about 1-1/2 hours working time for each unit, which measure 2"x1"x1-1/4" high.

2s9uc6g.jpg2iqmhdx.jpg

That is so awesome. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to sell some.

I'm still a newbie and don't have any business placing a cache yet but when I do, I plan to make some birdhouses. I'm no wood working genius but I thought it would be neat to make several birdhouses, but one would secretly be a container. Instead of a hole for the bird to get into, I would paint a black circle so hopefully it would blend in. I'd probably try to make the front hinged.

I think it would be extra cool, if I could get it to say "coo-coo" when you open it. Anybody with ideas feel free to email me.

I'm still a newbie and don't have any business placing a cache yet but when I do, I plan to make some birdhouses. I'm no wood working genius but I thought it would be neat to make several birdhouses, but one would secretly be a container. Instead of a hole for the bird to get into, I would paint a black circle so hopefully it would blend in. I'd probably try to make the front hinged.

I think it would be extra cool, if I could get it to say "coo-coo" when you open it. Anybody with ideas feel free to email me.

Hi - welcome aboard. One of my favorite caches that I have placed was a bird house. We were able to purchase a pre-built one at a local Michael's Craft store. My son was able to spray paint it, block up the hole, and cut a door in the back for access to the log and trade items. I attached it to a tree with wires. I set it up as a puzzle cache so it doesn't get a lot of hits but everyone who has found it really compliments us on the container. The house was less than $5 and we have a second one that is ready to go as a replacement just in case something happens to this one. I hope this helps. Good luck and happy caching!

Fastforty...I believe I have some of your little ammo cans. ;) I bought them a while back. I bought 3 and gave one away as the FTF gift in my first cache placement. The FTFer loved it. The other two I haven't been able to let go of--they are just too cute! Keep up the good work...they are awesome. They can be used as a gift for the cacher who has everything, a cacher xmas tree ornament, a Keeper of Small Things...lots o' uses.

I have always wondered what tool is used to drill holes in limbs, logs, rocks, etc. While I like and have a few tools, I don't have anything that would do that. Can someone tell me what is used to make big holes?

I found one like that already, it was pretty obvious to me but from the logs it fools alot of folks for awhile.

If I knew the right spot for that type I'd place one myself, most muggles won't bother it.

I can show this one now, because it got washed away in a flooded creek :ph34r:

Oh well, I replaced it with something better :anibad:

It was hidden in with a couple of other loge with the same bark, under some brush. In the wild, the cut was hardly noticeable. I watched a couple of people try to find it, and the only way they did was it rattled when they lifted it to look under it.

20071109_0190.JPG

The payload

(hollowed out using a chain saw Hard drive magnet and dowels to hold the end on)

20071109_0189.JPG

Edited by BC & MsKitty

If you hang that within reach where there is fishing, it will leave. I regularly come home with more floats than I left with.

I'd have to agree on this.

I CITO fishing line, hooks, and bobbers when i see them

We actually placed one like this in a preserve that does not allow fishing. It's been up for at least a year now, and still doing great!

I can show this one now, because it got washed away in a flooded creek :lol:

Oh well, I replaced it with something better :)

It was hidden in with a couple of other loge with the same bark, under some brush. In the wild, the cut was hardly noticeable. I watched a couple of people try to find it, and the only way they did was it rattled when they lifted it to look under it.

20071109_0190.JPG

The payload

(hollowed out using a chain saw Hard drive magnet and dowels to hold the end on)

20071109_0189.JPG

You know, I think that one washed itself down to Massachusetts. Well so very nearly identical to one I have found it's uncanny, even the dowels and magnets seem to be how I remembered that one.

Well actually it was a bit different. And when I found the cache it was frozen shut and my smashing/slaming it to open it broke a glass travel bug (honestly who thinks glass TB's would survive even gentile handling?).

Well actually it was a bit different. And when I found the cache it was frozen shut and my smashing/slaming it to open it broke a glass travel bug (honestly who thinks glass TB's would survive even gentile handling?).

Well, I asked my friend who's Jewish, and he said Jew or Gentile, the TB probably would have broke all the same. Only difference is he would have said "מזל טוב".

:lol:

Well, I asked my friend who's Jewish, and he said Jew or Gentile, the TB probably would have broke all the same. Only difference is he would have said "מזל טוב".

:D

:lol::P:lol::):):):):huh::P:):)B):laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Wow, we've gotten so many great ideas looking through these pages. We'd like to thank everyone who contributed. Heres one that we came up with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s=tab%3DSelling

Something to add to this, (had some comments that it might be taken by a recycling angler) we placed the one we have out in an area that prohibits fishing, but has a nice hiking trail. It is placed off the trail where even someone walking by wouldn't see it. Lots of great reviews.

I assure you that to drill a hole in a tree even if dead as the add on Ebay says, will raise the eyebrows of alot of Geocachers. I would try to think of a different way to attach it without drilling into the "Dead" tree. Maybe trying to find an existing hole in a tree with like bark. But a good idea nonetheless.

I assure you that to drill a hole in a tree even if dead as the add on Ebay says, will raise the eyebrows of alot of Geocachers. I would try to think of a different way to attach it without drilling into the "Dead" tree. Maybe trying to find an existing hole in a tree with like bark. But a good idea nonetheless.

Thats a good point, I will change the description.

Wow, we've gotten so many great ideas looking through these pages. We'd like to thank everyone who contributed. Heres one that we came up with.

If you bid on this, you might get an email like this:

Hiya, I see that you bid on my bobber geocache that I listed. I just wanted to let you know that I may not be listing anymore, so if you want it, you should continue to bid on this one.

Thanks,

Natureboy56

It has been reported to Ebay as being unethical.

If you bid on this, you might get an email like this:

Hiya, I see that you bid on my bobber geocache that I listed. I just wanted to let you know that I may not be listing anymore, so if you want it, you should continue to bid on this one.

Thanks,

Natureboy56

It has been reported to Ebay as being unethical.

I'm sorry if this seemed unethical to you. I did not mean to get the price of the item raised by doing this.

<snip>

I have a parking meter. Still working on how to incorporate that as well. Maybe a key in one location, and meter at next.

Man, a parking meter would be awesome! Talk about urban camo.

I wonder if there's any in town that aren't bolted down tight...

meter.jpg

wouldn't that be a cache of commercial nature.... now thats a big non no. :lol:

:lol: You would get lots of money...Yay!!!! :unsure:

Seeing the parking meter reminded me of this is the cache I used for my 1500th find. Credit goes to Patron and Mrs. They have a handful of great caches

4d87787d-e568-4018-96da-d06ec5e0f546.jpg

As a professional Firefighter/EMT, I can only say that given the number of accidental electrocutions and electrical fires I respond to in any given week, I am personally dead-set against ANY cache that is intentionally engineered to resemble electrical utilities of any kind.

We've all seen the evidence of outlandish cacher searches: eventually you're going to see a cacher fatality after they tried disassembling a high voltage junction box or transformer in the quest for a bitmap grin.

My opinion counts for naught, but I would offer that Groundspeak and Geocaching.com ought to ban this type of hide before it becomes a fatal DNF and a indefensible prosecution.

Couldn't you put markings on the side of possibly "dangerous" caches with UV paint? Then that a way a cacher could use a black light to check the cache before opening it up? Just make sure to put that in the hints of the cache. Just a thought. I'm a new cacher not sure if this has been said before. My friends little brother has a battery operated one for "secret codes" and I am sure it wasn't expensive.

Couldn't you put markings on the side of possibly "dangerous" caches with UV paint? Then that a way a cacher could use a black light to check the cache before opening it up? Just make sure to put that in the hints of the cache. Just a thought. I'm a new cacher not sure if this has been said before. My friends little brother has a battery operated one for "secret codes" and I am sure it wasn't expensive.

You just gave me an incredible idea for a multi!

Edited by Okiebryan

Wonder how many geocaching-related electrocutions and house fires that Wreck Diver has responded to in his entire career? My money would say ZERO.

For me, the principle of a good camo job is not just to blend in, but keep others safe while they hunt. An example would be placing a cache where there is no safe place to park. Could it be hidden? Yes. Could others find it? Yes. Could others get run into by traffic trying to find it? Yes. Then not a good place to hide.

Yes, I have found several near meter boxes. The best of these looked like it belonged, but then didn't when I stood back looked for a moment. The color and shape blended in, but it was the only such extension to any of the equipment. A closer inspection revealed it was the only thing there with a screw-on lid.