Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

We did a pretty funny shoe themed cache this summer, just a bit north of here. It's called "The Shoe Closet" :D

1dd79649-e707-4b6c-88c3-b0238724b3c8.jpg

That's very funny and would be ridiculous to a muggle who wandered by it. Looks like someone had an extra flipper lol.

Actually, this seems to be a local landmark that was there pre-cache. There are several poles in the area with shoes on them, although this one is the most spectacular. There was even a nylabone dog bone, which can't be seen in the picture, nailed up near the top. I would love to know the history!

Does anyone know how large the largest thread is? This has to be up there. How about age? This has been around for like a year and is consistantly on the 1st or 2nd page.

~.~Scare Force One

Actually this thread is going on four years. There are a number of threads that are longer, but few none that I know of that have been as popular for so long.

Love the light idea. 2 ?'s though. In what dept at HL did you find those?

How do you plan to get a log in and out with the odd shape or will you attach it outside the bulb? :mad:

Yeah, that light bulb is very cool! I'll have to look for those at Hobby Lobby but I can never find anything in that place though. :mad:

Agreed, at my local Hobby Lobby it's very hard to get any help as to where things are at.

I stopped by at lunch and bought two of them - 50 cents each. Of course I had to ask someone where they were or I'd be there all day. :D

Afterwards I bought two lightweight plastic bulb holders at Home Depot for $1.37 each.

Sbell111's idea of the cryotube is very good. Now if I could only get my hands on some of them!

Lead containers for mechanical pencils would work well. They make good micro caches, as well. :laughing:

Well it's not as impressive as some of the ones in this thread. But the camo that I got the most compliments on was this one. Spoiler pic for one of my caches.

A great deal of it has to do with the location. It is the same type of tree that it is placed on.

While on a walk along with a cacher, I watched as his son actually SET the GPS on the cache, while he was searching around. It was very hard to contain ourselves.

He did eventually find it, which was impressive, since he'd not seen the spoiler pic.

Well it's not as impressive as some of the ones in this thread. But the camo that I got the most compliments on was this one. Spoiler pic for one of my caches.

A great deal of it has to do with the location. It is the same type of tree that it is placed on.

While on a walk along with a cacher, I watched as his son actually SET the GPS on the cache, while he was searching around. It was very hard to contain ourselves.

He did eventually find it, which was impressive, since he'd not seen the spoiler pic.

That looks pretty impressive to me!! It'd be a toughie, for sure!

>. watched as his son actually SET the GPS on the cache

I can relate to that. I brought a friend to a cache of mine, and she actually picked the container up, then set it back down and continued looking! It was hard to keep a straight face (actually, I probably didn't).

That looks pretty impressive to me!! It'd be a toughie, for sure!

>. watched as his son actually SET the GPS on the cache

I can relate to that. I brought a friend to a cache of mine, and she actually picked the container up, then set it back down and continued looking! It was hard to keep a straight face (actually, I probably didn't).

yeah, it was interesting. I whispered to his dad, "Oooh, I think he found it"

He replied, "nope, watch... he's just picking up the GPS unit"

:(

Lead containers for mechanical pencils would work well. They make good micro caches, as well. :(
I've got two out there--one flat and rectangular, the other is cylindrical. I don't know how watertight they are, but they're not in places that will get wet too easily either (on purpose). So far, so good. Edited by meralgia
Lead containers for mechanical pencils would work well. They make good micro caches, as well. :(
I've got two out there--one flat and rectangular, the other is cylindrical. I don't know how watertight they are, but they're not in places that will get wet too easily either (on purpose).

Yeah, I almost posted a similar response. I have a couple that've been sitting around the house for a year or so, but I'm also doubtful of their weather-resistance.

I originally made this container for a micro cache. It is now about to be implemented for waypoint on a multicache. See if you can spot the cache.

cccview1.jpg

The following links are the same container. Leading to the picture that shadows/highlights the container.

View2

View3

SpoilerPic

Cool! I found one only this past weekend that isabout as close to yours as nature would allow! I'll have to make sure the owner of that cache sees yours!

Cool! I found one only this past weekend that isabout as close to yours as nature would allow! I'll have to make sure the owner of that cache sees yours!

I've made about 7, various sizes, three of them are still growing their moss, the others already have moss on them.

I lost one though, cause I dropped it. It's somewhere by my pile of tree branches, but heck if I can tell where.

I've made about 7, various sizes, three of them are still growing their moss, the others already have moss on them.

I lost one though, cause I dropped it. It's somewhere by my pile of tree branches, but heck if I can tell where.

Did you actually plant your moss? I've read how to do it, and tried it once on a concrete cache of mine, but it didn't take. I used the buttermilk approach, although I've read about beer and a few other things.

Did you actually plant your moss? I've read how to do it, and tried it once on a concrete cache of mine, but it didn't take. I used the buttermilk approach, although I've read about beer and a few other things.

Yeah, but I have an almost unfair advantage. I live in Seattle. =)

I have five kinds of moss growing in different areas around the yard. I like to bury them in high acid soil for a few weeks, then get them wet with rainwater, add some moss pieces, and leave them alone.

However, there are some tips to growing moss.

You can read a million things that will say use this or that.

The following will all work: yogurt, buttermilk, beer.

mix with: moss

also add some: Potters clay

The potters clay is a step that would really help many people that seem to not have success. its purpose? it just makes stuff stick better. =)

Do NOT use tap water. The chlorine will kill your efforts. Use Rainwater, even better. use rainwater with pine needles soaking in it. (moss loves high acid, infertile soil/items) Also lime will kill your moss as well.

hope that helps, if you need more info/help, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with.

I originally made this container for a micro cache. It is now about to be implemented for waypoint on a multicache. See if you can spot the cache.

cccview1.jpg

The following links are the same container. Leading to the picture that shadows/highlights the container.

View2

View3

SpoilerPic

The bulk of the DNFs and Delayed Finds, on our last multi "A Walk in the Park - NSP (Final) (GC17QA6)"came from this container. So I guess that means it worked. Of course, now I have to make a few of these style for some other cachers. lol

I'm currently working on a version that stores a small locknlock. I'll try to post pics when I'm done.

MaplessInSeattle

post Dec 19 2007, 01:48 AM

I'm currently working on a version that stores a small locknlock.

It takes a little longer to grow the bark that covers this hollowed out stump, which will hold a lock-n-lock. It has some moss on it too.

1ed3eec8-27f3-4fec-8986-3c5b0c737d31.jpg

This is my only urban cache and not that far from you.

Yeah, but I have an almost unfair advantage. I live in Seattle. =)

I have five kinds of moss growing in different areas around the yard. I like to bury them in high acid soil for a few weeks, then get them wet with rainwater, add some moss pieces, and leave them alone.

However, there are some tips to growing moss.

You can read a million things that will say use this or that.

The following will all work: yogurt, buttermilk, beer.

mix with: moss

also add some: Potters clay

The potters clay is a step that would really help many people that seem to not have success. its purpose? it just makes stuff stick better. =)

Do NOT use tap water. The chlorine will kill your efforts. Use Rainwater, even better. use rainwater with pine needles soaking in it. (moss loves high acid, infertile soil/items) Also lime will kill your moss as well.

hope that helps, if you need more info/help, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with.

You could make up some film cans full of "starter moss", kinda like starter bread for making sourdough. :rolleyes:

Our Son works for a rock place and he says they make this stuff by the bucket full for placing on rock walls in landscaping projects.

Logscaler.

You could make up some film cans full of "starter moss", kinda like starter bread for making sourdough. :rolleyes:

Our Son works for a rock place and he says they make this stuff by the bucket full for placing on rock walls in landscaping projects.

Logscaler.

If I thought people would buy it I would do it. LOL

I'd actually put it in a container with a little bit of airflow, otherwise you end up with a bunch of mold growing as well. Which works for some people. But some arent' keen on the idea of touching a moldy cache. LOL

If I suspect that the cache is a fake sprinkler I give it a gentle tug. If it comes out of the ground with that gentle little tug it is a fake. If it doesn't then I simply assume it is a real sprinkler and leave it alone. I don't understand folks who will go around unscrewing sprinklers to check if they are the cache.

What about this log of mine where I arrived and 4 or 5 sprinklers in a row were destroyed...... Oh, well.....

It's not uncommon for those particular sprinkler units to fail over time on their own (especially if the installer doesn't have the lines right for the amount of pressure which is common with cheaper installers). I wouldn't be surprised if that had nothing to do with cachers destroying them and it amazes me how many places I go by that don't take care of their sprinklers because they extremely economical to replace and extremely east to replace.

That being said...if you're going to do a sprinkler cache this is a good method:

SprinklerCache.JPG

Inserting a hollow PVC pipe into the ground then placing a shelled out sprinkler head will make it easy to remove and replace and if you make the PVC pipe about an inch or so deeper that the sprinkler unit it'll help it not "float" with a heavy rain. They make great caches though because they are waterproof if done correctly.

Of course, you'd never REALLY do that, because it would require digging a hole in the ground. This discussion is for purely intellectual considerations and would never occur in real life. Ever.

I did do that and it did not require digging a hole. The building manager and I are good friends and they were doing landscaping work. I got permission to put this in place in advance as dirt was pushed around it.

That being said...if you're going to do a sprinkler cache this is a good method:

<snipped pic out>

Inserting a hollow PVC pipe into the ground then placing a shelled out sprinkler head will make it easy to remove and replace and if you make the PVC pipe about an inch or so deeper that the sprinkler unit it'll help it not "float" with a heavy rain. They make great caches though because they are waterproof if done correctly.

Thats a bad method because it violates Groundspeak guidelines. How do you "insert" the PVC into the ground without using a shovel, trowel, or pointy tool?
I assume that the PVC would be inserted in the ground the same way that many fake sprinklers are. Simply wait for a soggy day and give it a little push.

This works as well...I actually tried that in my yard.

Edited by egami

Our urban style, ver 2.2

urban2.2.jpg

Although not as impressive as many of the cache containers listed here, this style seems to be very well liked by the cachers that have found it.

Either that, or they were just being nice because we're newbies to the game.

I didn't realize until someone tried to do it, but it can hold coins and small TBs.

Our version 1.0 was problematic at first, until I figured out the right type of glues/epoxies to get desired effect+strength.

The newer version takes quite a bit more abuse, and is much more weather tolerant.

I have 4 other CCCs that I will post once they have been found a bit. Don't want to spoil anything.

Since this style is well known by locals to be one of our common urban cammo jobs, I don't mind posting it now.

What kind of container is that for normally?

Its a gang box extension. I took it, and added the cover plate. Works great for caching, because most people don't notice its impracticality unless they know or have done any electrical work. My friend who is an electrician laughed so hard when he saw it. But hundreds of people walk by ours every day without even noticing it.

I've seen people standing right beside it, never giving it a second glance.

That's what I was afraid of...our reviewer won't publish anything that resembles electrical equipment and I comply with the suggestion. I was hoping maybe it was for something else, but had never seen one quit like that especially with the printing which is probably a state requirement in Washagain state. :rolleyes:

That's what I was afraid of...our reviewer won't publish anything that resembles electrical equipment and I comply with the suggestion. I was hoping maybe it was for something else, but had never seen one quit like that especially with the printing which is probably a state requirement in Washagain state. :rolleyes:

oh, the printing is because you can get wet location, and dry location. wet location ones come with a foam seal that helps keep out the moisture. it's more expensive, but necessary almost all over this state.

If you actually LOOKED at it, you can see it doesn't resemble any electrical equipment. That and the fact that it freely moves when given a push or a pull. Also I haven't painted them, so they REALLY stand out against the brown background, but still people ignore it, go figure.

Yeah, I graduated from high school in Everwet, so I am mildly familiar with the Pacific North Wet. :rolleyes:

I agree it doesn't look necessarily like electrical equipment, but by definition a gang box extension is for electrical, so I am guessing it'd be turned down by our reviewer. And, I see the point behind the argument, so I don't question it.

Not sure how he'd be with telephony or cable box types...I should find out. Those type of objects make great urban camouflage.

That's what I was afraid of...our reviewer won't publish anything that resembles electrical equipment and I comply with the suggestion. I was hoping maybe it was for something else, but had never seen one quit like that especially with the printing which is probably a state requirement in Washagain state. :anibad:

How does your reviewer know what your cache container is.

Placed: Microcache at Nxx xx.xxx Wxxx xx.xxx Nothing on the submission form asks what the container is.

That's what I was afraid of...our reviewer won't publish anything that resembles electrical equipment and I comply with the suggestion. I was hoping maybe it was for something else, but had never seen one quit like that especially with the printing which is probably a state requirement in Washagain state. :anibad:

Placed: Microcache at Nxx xx.xxx Wxxx xx.xxx Nothing on the submission form asks what the container is.

And why are some areas not allowed electrical equipment, but others are? Is this a new guideline? or some local land manager rule?

When you submit a cache for review, there is an option to "add additional waypoints"'. In here, you are suppose to enter the real coordinates of your cache, and select them to "reviewer only", that way, the reviewer can see the real location but not anyone else. If you do not add this to your listing, the reviewer will request you too.

When you submit a cache for review, there is an option to "add additional waypoints"'. In here, you are suppose to enter the real coordinates of your cache, and select them to "reviewer only", that way, the reviewer can see the real location but not anyone else. If you do not add this to your listing, the reviewer will request you too.

Yes, this answers the where, we know that part.

But the poster above asked how would your reviewer know WHAT the container is.

Oh I see. :blink: Didn't realize that was the question, sorry about that.

Below is a cache I placed as a memorial for our daughter. I cut a slab off the top of the stump to make the lid then I hollowed the log out with my chain saw. I then placed two dow pins in the lid and drilled out matching holes in the stumps base so the lid would stay put. It's big enough to fit a .50 cal ammo can in it. The stump weighs about sixty pounds. I carried it about a mile untill I found the most peaceful spot I could find.

142031_1100.JPG

I found one like this. Sorry I didn't quote in the last post.

That's what I was afraid of...our reviewer won't publish anything that resembles electrical equipment and I comply with the suggestion. I was hoping maybe it was for something else, but had never seen one quit like that especially with the printing which is probably a state requirement in Washagain state. <_<

Its a personal keysafe. The kind you'd put in your back yard to hide a spare key.

In my opinion, your reviewer is out of line, at least at this time. How would your reviewer even know that unless/until he/her found the cache? Does your reviewer have a list of (non)standard questions to ask before approval? Last time I checked caches like this were not against the guidelines.

Oh I see. <_< Didn't realize that was the question, sorry about that.

Bleeping goats!!!!!

:P

That's what I was afraid of...our reviewer won't publish anything that resembles electrical equipment and I comply with the suggestion. I was hoping maybe it was for something else, but had never seen one quit like that especially with the printing which is probably a state requirement in Washagain state. :anicute:

Obviously in that case he doesn't, but it'll be pulled when it's reported...

That's what I was afraid of...our reviewer won't publish anything that resembles electrical equipment and I comply with the suggestion. I was hoping maybe it was for something else, but had never seen one quit like that especially with the printing which is probably a state requirement in Washagain state. :anicute:

Obviously in that case he doesn't, but it'll be pulled when it's reported...
Reviewers that archive viable caches that are not against the guidelines, but violate the reviewers sensibilities are out of line and should be reported to TPTB.

Reviewers that archive viable caches that are not against the guidelines, but violate the reviewers sensibilities are out of line and should be reported to TPTB.

I am not going to get into a debate about it. I agree with the practice...and it would seem that on this issue this is a more common practice than what you may realize among reviewers from what I've read. And it sounds like this topic has already been hashed out and rubber-stamped as ok by TPTB, but that is only second hand info...

/shrug

Have at them...

Below is a cache I placed as a memorial for our daughter. I cut a slab off the top of the stump to make the lid then I hollowed the log out with my chain saw. I then placed two dow pins in the lid and drilled out matching holes in the stumps base so the lid would stay put. It's big enough to fit a .50 cal ammo can in it. The stump weighs about sixty pounds. I carried it about a mile untill I found the most peaceful spot I could find.

142031_1100.JPG

I love containers like that!

I'm betting that these will be banned shortly too due to the "No transporting firewood" laws that are starting to pop up like in Michigan.

I'm betting that these will be banned shortly too due to the "No transporting firewood" laws that are starting to pop up like in Michigan.

What the heck? Why can't you transport firewood? How else do you get it from the wood lot to your house? :P

What the heck? Why can't you transport firewood? How else do you get it from the wood lot to your house? :P

My impression of this law from talking to DNR is that these laws are starting to pop up due to transporting across state borders. Haven't heard of it within a state...would be interesting to hear if that's the case.

How is cache camo supposed to be firewood, anyway?

Personally, I don't believe in laws that could never be enforced, but I'd love to take a read of that one.

How is cache camo supposed to be firewood, anyway?

Personally, I don't believe in laws that could never be enforced, but I'd love to take a read of that one.

We have some DNR regulations regarding firewood-no laws yet. From what I read it has to do with an invasive insect - found mainly in Michigan and Ohio. I found this from Maryland DNR.