Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

The second one is kind of interesting; where would you hide something like that?

I would attach a magnet or two or magnetic tape to the back. Any flat metallic surface (under side of untility box [electrical, telephone, etc). It would definetly have to be somewhere out of the direct weather. the inside upper edge of the free periodical boxes (car trader, apartment finder, etc) also come to mind.

Can you think of any other good places?

The second one is kind of interesting; where would you hide something like that?

With the disk, if you can't tell, the guts are removed and the 2 halves come apart at the top giving the log a place to be inside the disk. Got this idea from a tv show I saw, a person smuggled dope on the inside of 3.5 floppy disks into a prison. Supposedly based on an actual case.

I would attach a magnet or two or magnetic tape to the back. Any flat metallic surface (under side of untility box [electrical, telephone, etc). It would definetly have to be somewhere out of the direct weather. the inside upper edge of the free periodical boxes (car trader, apartment finder, etc) also come to mind.

In here?

4a84f417-d38d-4d73-923f-9fa094d51efc.jpg

I placed a cache using a diskette in 2002. It was hidden in a springhouse and stuck between 2 of the flat rocks that were used to construct the springhouse. I also used a Tyvek log so the moisture wouldn't ruin the log and being insdie, it wasn't effected by rain. The hint LR HD meant "Left Rear & High Density".

visit cachepage

I've got dibs on using these as a cache container, keeping the placement in the same location as found in the pictures. Probably rate it a 1/5. Now if only I can get there to actually place the cache.... About 40 feet off the ground, power lines as a tightrope, should be nothing to it.

shoessmall3.jpg

shoesbig3.jpg

Edited by seldon

I've got dibs on using these as a cache container, keeping the placement in the same location as found in the pictures. Probably rate it a 1/5. Now if only I can get there to actually place the cache.... About 40 feet off the ground, power lines as a tightrope, should be nothing to it.

Say, would you mind scaling those pictures a bit (quite a bit, actually)? Those are huge!

Thanks!

Say, would you mind scaling those pictures a bit (quite a bit, actually)? Those are huge!

Thanks!

That was the first time I've tried posting pics - and first try at scaling - is that better, I hope?

shoessmall3.jpg

shoesbig3.jpg

My Geofriends will be terrified to know that I've actually been planning a similar cache. No power line though - that's just dangerous.

My Geofriends will be terrified to know that I've actually been planning a similar cache. No power line though - that's just dangerous.

Our local cacher, Posen, has done one already called "Cachew". Can you top that?

Another picture just to give some scale.

f70b883d-c894-4308-ab37-f55573b75de5.jpg

Its about a 22 foot reach to get up there.

How do you make sure it does not fall into the water?

Only the metal loop is visible from below the rest of the wood on the cache is resting on the stone lintel above.

It is possible to see the container from a high path that is off to the side and then when underneath the loop is then visible.

All you have to do then is work out how to get it down and then get it back up.

Its been dropped in the water once when the retrieval equipment broke on one person.

And yes it does float !!

NB my retrieval tool / put it back tool is NOT available everyone has to work out thier own technique :(

a lawn irrigation sprinkler head was used.

This has led to the demise of many real sprinklers........

Real sprinklers are pretty resilient. I've installed them before and really you can't do too terribly much damage to them if you do get aggressive enough to dismantling a real one. However, at this point it should become relatively apparent that's not the cache. And fortunately very inexpensive to replace and repair.

fake library book

I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library?

We did a fake library book cache, too...actually, it USED to be a library book that was decatalogued. The librarian gave it to us and we hollowed it out and glued the pages to make a box. I wasn't there when she put it back on the shelf and even knowing approximately where it was, it was still hard to find without the exact Dewey number to find it. You can find it at: Gold & Iron

I have this one on my list to go to this week! Cool!

shoessmall3.jpg

shoesbig3.jpg

I have a locationless cache on another site for hanging shoes. Never thought of putting a cache in there though.

If I suspect that the cache is a fake sprinkler I give it a gentle tug. If it comes out of the ground with that gentle little tug it is a fake. If it doesn't then I simply assume it is a real sprinkler and leave it alone. I don't understand folks who will go around unscrewing sprinklers to check if they are the cache.

What about this log of mine where I arrived and 4 or 5 sprinklers in a row were destroyed...... Oh, well.....

It's not uncommon for those particular sprinkler units to fail over time on their own (especially if the installer doesn't have the lines right for the amount of pressure which is common with cheaper installers). I wouldn't be surprised if that had nothing to do with cachers destroying them and it amazes me how many places I go by that don't take care of their sprinklers because they extremely economical to replace and extremely east to replace.

That being said...if you're going to do a sprinkler cache this is a good method:

SprinklerCache.JPG

Inserting a hollow PVC pipe into the ground then placing a shelled out sprinkler head will make it easy to remove and replace and if you make the PVC pipe about an inch or so deeper that the sprinkler unit it'll help it not "float" with a heavy rain. They make great caches though because they are waterproof if done correctly.

Edited by egami

shoessmall3.jpg

shoesbig3.jpg

I have a locationless cache on another site for hanging shoes. Never thought of putting a cache in there though.

We did a pretty funny shoe themed cache this summer, just a bit north of here. It's called "The Shoe Closet" <_<

1dd79649-e707-4b6c-88c3-b0238724b3c8.jpg

That being said...if you're going to do a sprinkler cache this is a good method:

SprinklerCache.JPG

Inserting a hollow PVC pipe into the ground then placing a shelled out sprinkler head will make it easy to remove and replace and if you make the PVC pipe about an inch or so deeper that the sprinkler unit it'll help it not "float" with a heavy rain. They make great caches though because they are waterproof if done correctly.

Thats a bad method because it violates Groundspeak guidelines. How do you "insert" the PVC into the ground without using a shovel, trowel, or pointy tool?

Here are a few Decon Containers I camouflaged:

th_Decon-Containers.jpg

NICE! How does the insulation hold up from the banging around in the rocks? How often do you have to touch up the paint?

I used a product called GREAT STUFF Insulating Foam and it stuck like crazy to the lock&Lock container. After a while it wants to come off the hinge flaps because of the flexing during opening and closing. So it's good to have them painted gray ahead of time and hope that end gets stuck in the rocks. The rest of it is stuck on there pretty good and if some of the gray paint chips off exposing the brown foam, it just looks like the aggregate in the real concrete.

This container is for a puzzle cache I created and it doesn't get found that often. There are only a few cachers in my area that appreciate a good puzzle cache. They figured it out right away and found it, so now it just sits there waiting for an out-of-towner or someone who has begged an extra hint to come along.

Here's a couple pics of mine. I got the material from wally world and took quite a bit of time to glue it all on but overall I think its worth it. Check out my avatar for 2 of my other cache containers. The smiley face was just destroyed so I switched it for the one below. The froggy has yet to be placed. Swizzle

Geocaching058.jpg

Geocaching059.jpg

If I suspect that the cache is a fake sprinkler I give it a gentle tug. If it comes out of the ground with that gentle little tug it is a fake. If it doesn't then I simply assume it is a real sprinkler and leave it alone. I don't understand folks who will go around unscrewing sprinklers to check if they are the cache.

What about this log of mine where I arrived and 4 or 5 sprinklers in a row were destroyed...... Oh, well.....

It's not uncommon for those particular sprinkler units to fail over time on their own (especially if the installer doesn't have the lines right for the amount of pressure which is common with cheaper installers). I wouldn't be surprised if that had nothing to do with cachers destroying them and it amazes me how many places I go by that don't take care of their sprinklers because they extremely economical to replace and extremely east to replace.

SprinklerCache.JPG

Of course, you'd never REALLY do that, because it would require digging a hole in the ground. This discussion is for purely intellectual considerations and would never occur in real life. Ever.

SprinklerCache.JPG

Of course, you'd never REALLY do that, because it would require digging a hole in the ground. This discussion is for purely intellectual considerations and would never occur in real life. Ever.

That's a pretty bold statement to make that it will never happen. I mean after all, what percentage of people don't ever read the guidelines? Sadly, more than you may know, meaning that many people have probably done this and will continue to do so.

Edited by Arndtwe

Here's a couple pics of mine. I got the material from wally world and took quite a bit of time to glue it all on but overall I think its worth it. Check out my avatar for 2 of my other cache containers. The smiley face was just destroyed so I switched it for the one below. The froggy has yet to be placed. Swizzle

Geocaching058.jpg

Geocaching059.jpg

Was that some fabric you bought or a rug that you cut apart? :)

It was about 4 feet of ..well..I guess you would call it garlin style material. Its made for the ends of blankets or something like that. I thought it was the funkiest fringe I had ever seen so I decided to play with it. Now it kinda looks like Cousin It meets Cheech and Chong. To bad I couldn't have added some red bandana material around it. To much though and it gets in the way of the lock. I should also mention that the smiley lock in lock was the same size as this one. Swizzle

Here's one I made today. Only took about 1/2 hour to make if you don't count drying time for glue and paint.

It's not that great but it will work.

bh.jpg

You might consider covering the hole from the inside with a black piece of wood. It will still look like a real birdhouse, but birds won't try to move in.

SprinklerCache.JPG

Thats a bad method because it violates Groundspeak guidelines. How do you "insert" the PVC into the ground without using a shovel, trowel, or pointy tool?
I assume that the PVC would be inserted in the ground the same way that many fake sprinklers are. Simply wait for a soggy day and give it a little push.

Ok since this one has been out for about 6 months with a few finders, I will post it. This pic is in my yard not where it is hidden. I hid it in a small park and have driven by to check on it and can see the area it is in between the sidewalk and the street. Twice I have seen people sitting right next to it so I couldn't check the contents or logs.

1ed3eec8-27f3-4fec-8986-3c5b0c737d31.jpg

Stump with bark overgrowing the cutoff portion.

d6e27d97-0a39-4ab8-b7cd-d70d79fd12bf.jpg

Bottom of stump showing the hole I cut and the Lock-n-Lock that fits inside