Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

We made a fake rock from concrete and chickenwire netting. I think it came out ok.

This one really looks fantastic. :)

How did you make it look so real?

The rock doesn't look like concrete, did you have any additional material?

Any answer is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Joerg

We made a fake rock from concrete and chickenwire netting. I think it came out ok.

In my opinion, the keys to making realistic rocks lie in using realistic molds and properly using colorant. I'm pretty sure that I explained my method earlier in the thread.
This one really looks fantastic. :D

In my opinion, the keys to making realistic rocks lie in using realistic molds and properly using colorant. I'm pretty sure that I explained my method earlier in the thread.

Yeah, but it could take days to search through this thread :)

Yeah, but it could take days to search through this thread :)
Sure, but if a person doesn't look at the earlier posts in the thread, then he/she risks missing great ideas. Edited by sbell111

Stuff growing on a cache? WHat a great idea!

How about something like those Chia pets!

ramchia.jpg

Actually moss is real easy to coat with. Take somemoss and some stale beer and blend at high speed in a blender and then paint on whatever you want moss covered. The moss will grow, especially in a humid area.

:D ech, just don't forget it in the blender and then have somebody in your family walk up and think they are getting a tasty smoothy :):D

ramchia.jpg

Actually moss is real easy to coat with. Take somemoss and some stale beer and blend at high speed in a blender and then paint on whatever you want moss covered. The moss will grow, especially in a humid area.

:D ech, just don't forget it in the blender and then have somebody in your family walk up and think they are getting a tasty smoothy :):D

Heh. I was thinking that step three would be 'Throw out blender'.

ramchia.jpg

Heh. I was thinking that step three would be 'Throw out blender'.

I just painted the outside of my fake rock with youghurt and watched the mould grow got about a years worth of growth in about two weeks.

To avoid the concrete look you need to avoid that smooth flatness concrete gets, my mould was a hole in the garden lined with thin polythene, poured the concrete in placed the container in it so the lid was lamost flush and left it to set.

The next day while it was soft ish i removed it from the mould and brushed it lightlty to rough up the surface.

Then painted it with fresh yoghurt.

Yeah, but it could take days to search through this thread :D
Sure, but if a person doesn't look at the earlier posts in the thread, then he/she risks missing great ideas.

I totally agree. And it will only take a couple of hours, the above was my failed attempt to be humorous :)

Regards,

Joerg

We used a lot of plastic bags and duct tape to make a "ball". Then we put the chickenwire on top of this and handformed the concrete on top of this. I was thinking of using yogurt, clay and moss spores to grow moss on top of it, but i think it's pretty muggle safe without it. I did not use any additives so I'm a bit afraid of breakage during the wintertime, it's pretty cold here during the winter. I think the cache was a success and the container inside it is so large it made room for half a toy store :D

I think the lightbulb cache should have a dog tag pull chain. The Geojohn is definately a...well its a...hmmm.. I would have to call it Geotrash. Funny but isn't that in the same lines as trash in the woods or is that recycling to the extreme? You just might end up with one of those fake dog turd TB's that are going around. The camo snail evil micro is sweet. I think it needs to be listed as an EVIL MICRO and not a quick cache and dash. I love to make them but I hate to look for them. If I saw one listed as an evil micro I wouldn't even bother with it. At least until it drove me nuts as one of the closest top 20 that I haven't found yet. Swizzle

I just placed a cache container in the Doctor's Quarters aboard a former Soviet guided nuclear missle submarine, so it had to be appropriate for the setting:

ed74b7a9-0cd2-4e79-95d5-e04d77feaeb6.jpg

I'm proud of it.

:(

I'm thinking the correct Cyrillic would be "ГЕОКЕШИНГ.КОМ".

It's a shame that the sub that held the cache sank in the harbor during the nasty weather we had on the East Coast this spring (I am not making this up). Cache is temporarily unavailable, but it looks like the US Navy is going to try and raise the Juliett 484 as a training exercise. :ph34r:

Juliett 484 Puzzle Cache

This one really looks fantastic. ;)

Regards,

Joerg

We used a lot of plastic bags and duct tape to make a "ball". Then we put the chickenwire on top of this and handformed the concrete on top of this. I was thinking of using yogurt, clay and moss spores to grow moss on top of it, but i think it's pretty muggle safe without it. I did not use any additives so I'm a bit afraid of breakage during the wintertime, it's pretty cold here during the winter. I think the cache was a success and the container inside it is so large it made room for half a toy store :)

Thank you for your prompt reply it was pretty helpful for me.

As I learned from a website I found today the painting is the most important part of it.

This is the point where I stop thinking about building fake rocks, because I'm not very experienced in painting things.

If anyone is interested in a good how-to, here it is: Fake Rock Making

Cheers,

Joerg

I just placed a cache container in the Doctor's Quarters aboard a former Soviet guided nuclear missle submarine, so it had to be appropriate for the setting:

I'm proud of it.

;)

It's a shame that the sub that held the cache sank in the harbor during the nasty weather we had on the East Coast this spring (I am not making this up). Cache is temporarily unavailable, but it looks like the US Navy is going to try and raise the Juliett 484 as a training exercise. :)

Juliett 484 Puzzle Cache

Bummer.

I wonder why it wasn't their policy to close the access hatches in the evenings, especially when there was a storm approaching.

Wow these are some amazing cache containers!

A little off topic here but I wanted to make a cache container using clear PVC, but can't seem to find it anywhere near me (Chicagoland). I figure making the tube clear would alleviate some of the fears that people hold when they see a hidden tube shaped object. Anyone know where to get this stuff?

Sorry if this is too off topic, but I assumed this was too small a question to start its own thread.

I've never seen clear PVC pipes, but have been interested in making one out of transaprent aluminum.

Check out installers of indoor vacuum cleaner systems. They use heavy duty clear (well, it slightly smoky) plastic pipe in the demostration units on display. Couldn't get any end caps that were clear but the pipe seems sturdy enough.

My idea:

take a piece of firewoods, use a drillpress to hollow out a hole, big enough to fit a small medicine bottle. Then create a intricate locking system in which you have to press sections of wood to open it up.

might take some time in the woodshop in my school, but totally worth it.

I really like the idea of a normal thing with a hidden compartment, i'll work on it.

Just had to archive this large ammo can cache in a cemetary, titled "Old George".

bae1bc38-6648-4319-99f3-232ded7c34d7.jpg

Bumped and deeply impressed after having consumed the ideas (for several hours now !) that some weird genius' created :D

This tombstone is my absolute favorite, CONGRATS, Canoe Guy! :blink:

A question concerning Rex & Butterfly's photo-collection, which isn't any more available at:

http://jdavis955.home.comcast.net/CoolCach...tainersPG1.html

Does anybody know, if, and if, where it has moved to?

And for now, i'd love to share a funny story with you having occurred recently at one of my caches. It's an urban multi (3.5 / 1.0 at that time) and i didn't think that the way of hiding would be that difficult, at least it was worth spending hours at the final by the famous local cacher-scenery.

It's hidden right in front of the house of a Geocaching-friend of mine and dedicated to him at the outside of the pole on a bridge carrying the (blurred) name of the river running underneath

(see the enervated beta-testers nearby :D ) 8070ee11-fe55-41b2-beab-2ca48a673ddc.jpg

After several weeks of happy and undisturbed cache-life i got a phone-call from my friend some late afternoon telling me that the local authorities are (re)moving my cache... :blink: As i asked him to save it for me until i would be able to renew it, he laughed and told me that the project is being finished right now and that the cache had successfully crossed the street and was fixed again at the opposite side of the bridge.

Without any notice of the cache by the two involved craftsmen...

Before...

d5740d9c-e441-474c-91a4-4ebd90e95bcf.jpg

After...

ab1a03bd-7a4e-407f-a0a4-d99596d80420.jpg

Here's one I just finished, the only thing that would stand out if placed in a forest is the fact that the branches and ends are sawed off...

img1910he8.jpg

img1912cm3.jpg

img1913hs3.jpg

Thinking of sticking it in the woods somewhere near my cottage.

And yes, those are pieces of pencils holding it together. I was too lazy to go somewhere to buy dowel.

Edited by JTPickering

Here's one I just finished, the only thing that would stand out if placed in a forest is the fact that the branches and ends are sawed off...

img1913hs3.jpg

Thinking of sticking it in the woods somewhere near my cottage.

And yes, those are pieces of pencils holding it together. I was too lazy to go somewhere to buy dowel.

Sweet. However, if you truely are lazy, then replace the pencils with dowels before you put it out. The pencils are cedar and graphite, the dowels are birch. Replace them now, or replace them later. Your choice. But you will be replacing the pencils.

img1917lb8.jpg

img1922ml8.jpg

img1923rn8.jpg

(ID and name on logbook blurred)

Doesn't work. It's been sitting in my driveway for a while, leaking gas all over the ground. And the carb is some stupid electronic thing that got fried and costs $900 to replace. And there's no battery because I took it to power an electric scooter.

So far I haven't had any DNF's at all and everyone seems to love it. Talk about hiding in plain sight.

Edited by JTPickering

Cool idea! But I've gotta admit, I would have opened the fuel filler door first.

I take it you don't have a neighborhood watch in effect. Seems like a good way to get shot if the neighbors don't know about it.

If I tried that, some yahoo would come a long and sign the log, then lock it out of habit.

Cool idea! But I've gotta admit, I would have opened the fuel filler door first.

I take it you don't have a neighborhood watch in effect. Seems like a good way to get shot if the neighbors don't know about it.

Fuel door was my first thought, too, but the owner only has three hides, one of which is archived, so it was pretty easy to find the cache page (waypoint and name in the photo blurred, or not). The neighbors all know about it already, according to the page.

Personally, that's one cache that I'd HOPE would get muggled!! LOL!

("Take this cache, for example... please, take it") :P

Yes, I told my neighbours not to worry if they see strangers opening the car. And I would probably have looked in the fuel door first too - that's why I put a GC logo on the back of the seat, which you can see through the window. And that's the only door that I leave unlocked.

Edited by JTPickering
Doesn't work. It's been sitting in my driveway for a while, leaking gas all over the ground. And the carb is some stupid electronic thing that got fried and costs $900 to replace. And there's no battery because I took it to power an electric scooter. So far I haven't had any DNF's at all and everyone seems to love it. Talk about hiding in plain sight.
I must say that I'm a little disturbed to see a car cache. It's creative, but I've had my car broken into a couple of times by rowdy kids that wanted to steal a quick buck (and maybe a car stereo if they had time). Once, during the winter, I swear they sat in there and smoked their cigarettes to get out of the cold. It was so smelly the next day. Perhaps your neighborhood is different from ours, and it's no big deal, but it probably wouldn't be welcome in ours (even if the neighbors knew). Edited by meralgia

I must say that I'm a little disturbed to see a car cache. It's creative, but I've had my car broken into a couple of times by rowdy kids that wanted to steal a quick buck (and maybe a car stereo if they had time). Once, during the winter, I swear they sat in there and smoked their cigarettes to get out of the cold. It was so smelly the next day. Perhaps your neighborhood is different from ours, and it's no big deal, but it probably wouldn't be welcome in ours (even if the neighbors knew).

I guess so... it's a very small street that you'd have no reason to go into unless you live there, and it's a pretty nice area of the town. There's not really any "rowdy kids" to speak of.

Here is my latest that didn't really turn out the way i wanted..

It is supposed to look like a huge wad of gum (and it does) - but I still fear releasing it in the place it was meant for - which is rather public. Does anyone have any ideas where I can put it?

6083f17a-cf8c-4766-bf49-830c989eb99a.jpg

And yes, that is a deer skull I am using to texture it. :)<_<

I'm proud of it.

:)

Most assuredly. The wording would be a dead giveaway as its spelled on the container to anyone who reads Cyrillic. I'm not sure if I'd have transliterated it "ГЕОКЕШИНГ.КОМ" but it's very good and a heck of a lot closer to the real pronounciation.

img1917lb8.jpg

img1922ml8.jpg

img1923rn8.jpg

Doesn't work. It's been sitting in my driveway for a while, leaking gas all over the ground. And the carb is some stupid electronic thing that got fried and costs $900 to replace. And there's no battery because I took it to power an electric scooter.

So far I haven't had any DNF's at all and everyone seems to love it. Talk about hiding in plain sight.

I wanted to do that with an old Volkswagen Fox that I just couldn't let go of. The city threatened to fine me if I didn't get it outta sight though. :D

img1917lb8.jpg

img1922ml8.jpg

img1923rn8.jpg

Yep, we got one similiar to that HERE

Except, now it has quite a few wasps buzzing around! And, it's got 3 traps inside!

fake library book

I'm really curious what the story was on this one. Was it really inside a library?

We did a fake library book cache, too...actually, it USED to be a library book that was decatalogued. The librarian gave it to us and we hollowed it out and glued the pages to make a box. I wasn't there when she put it back on the shelf and even knowing approximately where it was, it was still hard to find without the exact Dewey number to find it. You can find it at: Gold & Iron

That was my 1,000th find, calvinrtvp! EXCELLENT cache! Had fun through all the stages although I did get confused at one stop along the way. I've thought about duplicating it in our area, but haven't even begun. I can just imagine the work you put into this!! :blink: It's still my number one favorite. :)