Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I don't have a picture of it, but I recently found a cache where a lawn irrigation sprinkler head was used. A screw-top bottle was glued inside the head, then the entire unit placed in a piece of pvc pipe, with the top flush with the ground. I walked around in circles for some time wondering where the cache was, and finally thought (after walking by it several times), could that be it? The person who set this one up has many in the area, and most of them are extremely clever and are right out in the open but so easy to overlook.

a lawn irrigation sprinkler head was used.

This has led to the demise of many real sprinklers........

If I suspect that the cache is a fake sprinkler I give it a gentle tug. If it comes out of the ground with that gentle little tug it is a fake. If it doesn't then I simply assume it is a real sprinkler and leave it alone. I don't understand folks who will go around unscrewing sprinklers to check if they are the cache.

If I suspect that the cache is a fake sprinkler I give it a gentle tug. If it comes out of the ground with that gentle little tug it is a fake. If it doesn't then I simply assume it is a real sprinkler and leave it alone. I don't understand folks who will go around unscrewing sprinklers to check if they are the cache.

What about this log of mine where I arrived and 4 or 5 sprinklers in a row were destroyed...... Oh, well.....

I don't have a picture of it, but I recently found a cache where a lawn irrigation sprinkler head was used. A screw-top bottle was glued inside the head, then the entire unit placed in a piece of pvc pipe, with the top flush with the ground. I walked around in circles for some time wondering where the cache was, and finally thought (after walking by it several times), could that be it? The person who set this one up has many in the area, and most of them are extremely clever and are right out in the open but so easy to overlook.

I hate those! Clever, sure, but after I found my first it was hard to keep myself from ripping the real ones out.

What about this log of mine where I arrived and 4 or 5 sprinklers in a row were destroyed...... Oh, well.....
Reread Thrak's post.

He didn't suggest that some cachers aren't destructive. He merely doesn't understand those people. Me either.

Good points in all posts relating to sprinklers, and this one was very loose. A gentle touch was all that was needed. And if you saw it and thought about it, it was obvious as it was 1 foot behind a bench, with a huge tree 3 feet in the other direction, a trash can, and very little grass nearby.

I'm glad to hear the comments, as I never really thought about how real ones could be damaged.

Here is one I am getting ready to put out pretty soon. Would make a good urban cache.

Hobby Lobby has the little Light Bulb jars. They were $ .99 a piece and were the same size as a real light bulb. so I picked 2 of them up and then went to lowes to get the mount that the bulb screws into. That was like a buck as well. Then I glued a hard drive magnet to the back of the base so I can easily place and remove the cache on metal objects.

The bulbs were clear but I thought I would paint one white so the contents wouldn't be viewable. I think the white might make it stick out a little too much. Something that your normal muggle would miss but your cacher would catch. Let me know what you think!

bulb.jpg

Here are the bulbs unscrewed. The one on the right is painted with flat white spray paint.

bulb1.jpg

Here they are with the "lids" screwed on.

bulb2.jpg

The spray painted bulb screwed in and on my fridge.

bulb3.jpg

The clear bulb

bulb4.jpg

The hard drive magnet glued to the base to allow for easy placement and removal. Those magnets are very strong however. Strong enough to last with all the elements.

-D

Edited by dpinkston
Here is one I am getting ready to put out pretty soon. Would make a good urban cache.

That's a great idea!

I just moved into an urban environment for school, so I'm a bit out of my element. I am not yet familiar enough with the area to place some new caches, but I am looking forward to it! I had to browse through these hides to see what inspirations I can gain.

At home, in a rural setting, I would spray paint some "cammo" on my containers. I had two different colors of spraypaint, a light and a dark brown. I would hang the container from a string and spin it around. As it spun I would paint a solid coat of the light brown as a base. Then I would paint spots of the darker brown to give it a mottled look. Sorry I don't have any pictures!

The mottled look was normally enough that I could hide the cache out in the woods with only a little assistance from natural materials found at the area.

Love the light idea. 2 ?'s though. In what dept at HL did you find those?

How do you plan to get a log in and out with the odd shape or will you attach it outside the bulb? :unsure:

Yeah, that light bulb is very cool! I'll have to look for those at Hobby Lobby but I can never find anything in that place though. :unsure:

How do you plan to get a log in and out with the odd shape or will you attach it outside the bulb? :unsure:

Yeah, that light bulb is very cool! I'll have to look for those at Hobby Lobby but I can never find anything in that place though. :unsure:

Agreed, at my local Hobby Lobby it's very hard to get any help as to where things are at.

Since the screw on lid isn't water resistant, anyway, perhaps the log could be housed in a cryotube or an M&M tube which, in turn, is simply dropped into the bulb. Edited by sbell111

How do you plan to get a log in and out with the odd shape or will you attach it outside the bulb? :D

Yeah, that light bulb is very cool! I'll have to look for those at Hobby Lobby but I can never find anything in that place though. :D

Agreed, at my local Hobby Lobby it's very hard to get any help as to where things are at.

I stopped by at lunch and bought two of them - 50 cents each. Of course I had to ask someone where they were or I'd be there all day. :o

Afterwards I bought two lightweight plastic bulb holders at Home Depot for $1.37 each.

Sbell111's idea of the cryotube is very good. Now if I could only get my hands on some of them!

How do you plan to get a log in and out with the odd shape or will you attach it outside the bulb? :D

Yeah, that light bulb is very cool! I'll have to look for those at Hobby Lobby but I can never find anything in that place though. :D

I stopped by at lunch and bought two of them - 50 cents each. Of course I had to ask someone where they were or I'd be there all day. :o

Afterwards I bought two lightweight plastic bulb holders at Home Depot for $1.37 each.

Sbell111's idea of the cryotube is very good. Now if I could only get my hands on some of them!

Looks like I'm gonna have to make a trip! :D

Looks like I'm gonna have to make a trip! :D

The one that is painted on the outside is not very realistic looking but the paint seems to be holding. I attempted to spray paint one on the inside and it ended up looking very real! However after a few days the paint is cracking on the inside. I used some hot glue to seal up the lid as well as an o-ring around the part of the bulb the lid screws to. This should prevent moisture.

Plus I plan on placing underneath a roof such as one of those little shelters you see at parks. Any other paint ideas on getting the bulb to look realistic?

Edited by dpinkston

The one that is painted on the outside is not very realistic looking but the paint seems to be holding. I attempted to spray paint one on the inside and it ended up looking very real! However after a few days the paint is cracking on the inside. I used some hot glue to seal up the lid as well as an o-ring around the part of the bulb the lid screws to. This should prevent moisture.

Plus I plan on placing underneath a roof such as one of those little shelters you see at parks. Any other paint ideas on getting the bulb to look realistic?

How about instead of paint on the inside try some of that "fake snow" spray that comes around at Christmas time? I know for a fact that stuff is strong cause it takes FOREVER to clean up lol

How about instead of paint on the inside try some of that "fake snow" spray that comes around at Christmas time? I know for a fact that stuff is strong cause it takes FOREVER to clean up lol

I would think that anything placed inside the container would scrape off the fake snow.

I have some small ones. I'll mail you a few.

I would think that anything placed inside the container would scrape off the fake snow.

You would be suprised at how TUFF that stuff is. I had to use a razorblade to get it off my windows... Guess it depends on brand maybe?

You would be suprised at how TUFF that stuff is. I had to use a razorblade to get it off my windows... Guess it depends on brand maybe?
I've never played around with it. I just assume that it wouldn't take much of a beating based in memories of beaten up Christmas displays.

I guess that it would be worth a test.

I wonder about tougher, non-spray paint. Just dump a bit in the bulb and swirl it around to get complete coverage. Finally, dump out the excess. Also, the container may need to be washed really well first. Sometimes new glass has a slightly oily film on it that may keep paint from holding very well.

Edited by sbell111

How do you plan to get a log in and out with the odd shape or will you attach it outside the bulb? :o

Yeah, that light bulb is very cool! I'll have to look for those at Hobby Lobby but I can never find anything in that place though. :P

I stopped by at lunch and bought two of them - 50 cents each. Of course I had to ask someone where they were or I'd be there all day. :D

:o:o:D sorry to be a dork, but what is a cryotube, sounds like something from a Woody Allen movie... :D

Edited by lonesumdove

How do you plan to get a log in and out with the odd shape or will you attach it outside the bulb? :o

Yeah, that light bulb is very cool! I'll have to look for those at Hobby Lobby but I can never find anything in that place though. :P
I stopped by at lunch and bought two of them - 50 cents each. Of course I had to ask someone where they were or I'd be there all day. :D

:o:o:D sorry to be a dork, but what is a cryotube, sounds like something from a Woody Allen movie... :D
They are plastic tubes made to hold blood and other fluids for cryogenic storage. I figure that if they can handle liquid nitrogen, they can handle geocaching.

6833k.jpg

I've never played around with it. I just assume that it wouldn't take much of a beating based in memories of beaten up Christmas displays.

I guess that it would be worth a test.

I wonder about tougher, non-spray paint. Just dump a bit in the bulb and swirl it around to get complete coverage. Finally, dump out the excess. Also, the container may need to be washed really well first. Sometimes new glass has a slightly oily film on it that may keep paint from holding very well.

I will play around with some different methods and post anything that works. If anyone else gets something that works awesome and still look realistic let me know!

Maybe instead of paint inside or out (both will scratch or crack in no time), how about etching the glass to make it opaque? Has anyone used stuff like this?

Yes i have on a mirror once that would work really well some very light sandblasting would also work.

I know that coloured outside lights use a plastic or rubber sleeve on the outside of the bulb so perhaps you could use a white (or other colour) balloon stretched on and over the outside of the glass ??

Wonder if i can get hold of these in the UK ? got a great spot in mind.

well, i read the recent link on how to "empty" a light bulb, and here it is

CIMG0369.jpg

CIMG0366.jpg

the only problem is that it is very weak.any ideas on how to make it strong?

Ive bought some resin (the type you use in glass reinforced stuff on cars) im going to pour it inside allow it to coat the inside of the bulb.

For the outside ive now sussed that an ordinary balloon does the job nicely.

I have had one out cents 10/05 in the weather and it has held up very well. No telling how many people drive by it every day ! LOL !!

I used a flat white and put GEO with a pencil on the end of it. mine is on a sign! It is call Bright Idea . LOL !

good job !keep it up ! :huh:

Hobby Lobby has the little Light Bulb jars. They were $ .99 a piece and were the same size as a real light bulb. so I picked 2 of them up and then went to lowes to get the mount that the bulb screws into. That was like a buck as well. Then I glued a hard drive magnet to the back of the base so I can easily place and remove the cache on metal objects.

The bulbs were clear but I thought I would paint one white so the contents wouldn't be viewable. I think the white might make it stick out a little too much. Something that your normal muggle would miss but your cacher would catch. Let me know what you think!

bulb.jpg

Here are the bulbs unscrewed. The one on the right is painted with flat white spray paint.

bulb1.jpg

Here they are with the "lids" screwed on.

bulb2.jpg

The spray painted bulb screwed in and on my fridge.

bulb3.jpg

The clear bulb

bulb4.jpg

The hard drive magnet glued to the base to allow for easy placement and removal. Those magnets are very strong however. Strong enough to last with all the elements.

-D