Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

These are not my pictures. Another cacher emailed them to me to remain anonymous. Im not sure exactly how its made though. You'll get the idea.

**Edit to add info on how made. It took me a while but now i understand it... Its all superglue, hairspray, fire tack (works better then a thumb tack),map preservative, neodymium magnet, a straw, water proof log paper and a tooth pick, oh yeah and the cocoon.**

I hope I never have to go after that one, or one inspired by it.... reach up to poke what you think might be the cache, and it wiggles... eww

Edited by ScarabDrowner

anyone know what this kind of box is called?

phone%20box.jpg

I've been considering going to the local phone company and seeing if they have any old ones that aren't being used anymore, and converting it to a cache container. I'd go with custom decals, and the cache GC code in place of the numbers... maybe attach some tent stakes to the bottom to support it in place without digging. The bell logo would get replaced with the 4-color square, with a different type of bell image on it, the WARNING text on the top, with the space below used for the standard "This is a Geocache" information text. It would blend in for the muggles, but for a cacher it would stand out. Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions? Criticisms?

I've been considering going to the local phone company and seeing if they have any old ones that aren't being used anymore, and converting it to a cache container. I'd go with custom decals, and the cache GC code in place of the numbers... maybe attach some tent stakes to the bottom to support it in place without digging. The bell logo would get replaced with the 4-color square, with a different type of bell image on it, the WARNING text on the top, with the space below used for the standard "This is a Geocache" information text. It would blend in for the muggles, but for a cacher it would stand out. Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions? Criticisms?

I am not sure what i think exactly. If it is a traditional then it wouldnt involve much of a search. Maybe the end of a multi? Anyone- we did one similar to the one you mentioned. Here is a pic i took from the car. I think there is a telecommunications sticker on the side of that cache container.

42207001er8.th.jpg

phone%20box.jpg

i thnk its a great idea! i might just have to use that one myself :tired:

phone%20box.jpg

That would be generically called a "Ped" as in pedestal. There are all sorts of different regional names for them, but ped would be pretty much universal. Look for the phone company yard with all the bucket trucks and cable spools.

These are not my pictures. Another cacher emailed them to me to remain anonymous. Im not sure exactly how its made though. You'll get the idea.

**Edit to add info on how made. It took me a while but now i understand it... Its all superglue, hairspray, fire tack (works better then a thumb tack),map preservative, neodymium magnet, a straw, water proof log paper and a tooth pick, oh yeah and the cocoon.**

That is gorgeous, evil, and utterly ingenious!!!

Interesting , :laughing: Hiding it real good ideas

ever hid one underwater in a lake?

I've got to look it up again, but there is one here in Connecticut, hidden under a

sunken Canoe, which is only accessible by scubadiving for it.

(Sure hope it's watertight!) (and winter proofed.)

Stephen (gelfling6)

My attemps at camo'ing Lock & Locks. Toward the front right is standard camo duct tape. That one is carp. To the far right are a pair with glued on camo burlap. Not too bad. The big boy in the back left is my initial attempt at using just paint. Obviously it'll need to be redone. The rest are just standard Riffster camo, using black roofing caulk as an adhesive.

cc137f76-20d5-4f75-97ed-ab383316c696.jpg

in my experience as someone who goes out into the woods specifically to find antlers that are dropped, critters either find them or they don't. I've seen antlers that had been laying out in the elements for a long time with no damages and others that had been eaten up immediately. I guess it all depends on placement.

My attemps at camo'ing Lock & Locks. Toward the front right is standard camo duct tape. That one is carp. To the far right are a pair with glued on camo burlap. Not too bad. The big boy in the back left is my initial attempt at using just paint. Obviously it'll need to be redone. The rest are just standard Riffster camo, using black roofing caulk as an adhesive.

cc137f76-20d5-4f75-97ed-ab383316c696.jpg

those look great, I agree with you about the camo tape. I used to use it a lot, but since I started painting my caches I'll never use tape again, paint just looks better. Not only that but I've found I really love painting camo, I dunno why but it's a lot of fun. BTW here's some of my latest paint jobs, the can in the middle has since been redone to a maple/oak leaf pattern, I wasn't happy with the last paint job I did on it.

DSC_0805.jpg

Edited by Tsmola

This is not my cache, but the owner has requested that pics be posted on the logs. These are posted on the cache logs. This owner is very creative, and has many here that are more than amazing.

Team Royal with the find:

Spider-1.jpg

Team Magic, same find:

Spider.jpg

Note: This cache is on a public access, and has not been muggled so far. :)

If you look closely, the Team Shutterbug name of the owner is embedded into the web.

Edited by Team Magic

This is not my cache, but the owner has requested that pics be posted on the logs. These are posted on the cache logs. This owner is very creative, and has many here that are more than amazing.

Team Royal with the find:

Spider-1.jpg

Team Magic, same find:

Spider.jpg

Note: This cache is on a public access, and has not been muggled so far. <_<

If you look closely, the Team Shutterbug name of the owner is embedded into the web.

Now that is cool :P , nobody would want to bother it thinking that the spider from Lord of The Ring would jump out attack their a**! :D

(I love how their mainframe took the s's out of the word and put in *. So PC)

Edited by atmguy775

dovedecoy.jpg

Wal-Mart had these things for $1.88 each. How could I resist?

With a little modification, a bison tube fits into a hole in the base quite nicely. It comes with a metal spring loaded clip. Now I just need a location with a nice thick shrub to use as a hiding place...

I am especially fond of this one - have used it myself as WP2 in this cache GCVH81

May I make a suggestion? I found that the bird did not stay clipped to the branch with the plastic clip. After replacing it a couple of times, I added some tape around the base and taped the clip shut and wrapped the tape a few times around the pine branch (does not hurt the tree). It has stayed put now quite well.

Here is my finished birdhouse. I am thinking of making it part of a multi.

img5724je0.jpg

May I make a suggestion for your birdhouse?

If you cut out a hole (or use a circle hole cutting drill bit) where you currently have the black circle painted (cut out all the black) and glue black painted plywood to the inside of the hole, it looks more realistic. The depth of the hole (1/2") adds a little more shadow and dimension to the black.

Here's a pic of one of my caches, with the hole drilled and filled on the backside. Notice the shadow.

ef7abee9-dbae-4e6d-b9a2-0cded1f7e532.jpg

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Here is my finished birdhouse. I am thinking of making it part of a multi.

img5724je0.jpg

May I make a suggestion for your birdhouse?

If you cut out a hole (or use a circle hole cutting drill bit) where you currently have the black circle painted (cut out all the black) and glue black painted plywood to the inside of the hole, it looks more realistic. The depth of the hole (1/2") adds a little more shadow and dimension to the black.

Here's a pic of one of my caches, with the hole drilled and filled on the backside. Notice the shadow.

ef7abee9-dbae-4e6d-b9a2-0cded1f7e532.jpg

Adding a "predator guard" like the one shown on this site will make it look even more authentic...

http://audubon-omaha.org/bbbox/nestbox/fawzi23.jpg

I enjoy birdhouse caches. I have three of my own. One contains a 30 cal. ammo can, one is a built to spec bluebird nesting box with an additional seperate "basement" (Wrens seem to like this and you can get the cache without disturbing them if you're smooth.) and one is behind an old broken birdhouse at a rest stop.

The "basement" nesting box is in a park which contains several other birdhouses. It's been out for a little over three years and looks like it belongs there. It's just as weathered as all the other ones, has old nesting material sticking out of the entrance hole, and even has teeth marks on it from various squirrels that have decided to gnaw on it. I'm still surprised when a DNF is logged on it. There's no other place anywhere near it to hide a cache.

I have a fabrication question:

What's the best way to get acrylic attached to painted metal -- like the inside of an ammo can? I think some sort of flexible gap-filling cyanoacrylate or two-part epoxy would be best, but I don't know how to shop for epoxy.

I have a fabrication question:

What's the best way to get acrylic attached to painted metal -- like the inside of an ammo can? I think some sort of flexible gap-filling cyanoacrylate or two-part epoxy would be best, but I don't know how to shop for epoxy.

If it is a hard acrylic, any of the double tubes of epoxy or gel CA glue should work fine. The paint is likely going to be your weak point. If it is a softer (more flexible) plastic, I would probably go with something like Goop.

Edited by sbell111

I just made a whole bark camoed cache with hot glue. This may not have been the best choice of material but I don't want to take it apart, what can I do to reinforce the bark that is hot glued to the container?

Thank you

I have quite a few bark camo hides. What I have done is sprayed the bark with about 6 coats of matte finish clear lacquer, and the caches are holding up quite well in the Winter snows, and spring rains. Hope this helps you.

Here's one that I'll be placing in the near future with instructions so you can play along at home. :lol: I added some magnets to the top to center the lid when its rotated closed.

Untitled%20-%202.jpg

Wow! :lol: I happen to have a log like that. Do you have more detailed instructions> I don't have a chainsaw or a ax. I want to make a better cache then what I have been doing. Your idea is really cool. Do you need a chainsaw or ax? :)

Thank you!

Here's one that I'll be placing in the near future with instructions so you can play along at home. :lol: I added some magnets to the top to center the lid when its rotated closed.

Untitled%20-%202.jpg

Wow! :lol: I happen to have a log like that. Do you have more detailed instructions> I don't have a chainsaw or a ax. I want to make a better cache then what I have been doing. Your idea is really cool. Do you need a chainsaw or ax? :)

Thank you!

I'm thinking that a band saw would be the tool of choice.

Untitled%20-%202.jpg

Thank you!

I'm thinking that a band saw would be the tool of choice.

:lol: Aww man... I dont have a band saw or a chainsaw. all I have is a handheld handsaw. It took me half an hour to cut a top section out:tired: Perhaps I'll just use a really big drill bit and put a film canister in there and call it a micro :) I was looking foward to making a really cool cache. does anyone have another suggestion for a really nice cache? I might do a birdhouse one...

thnak you!

Edited by tomthemagicman

You could use a hole saw and just take a core out.

Then cut the core off and screw / glue it to the bottom of a cache.

If you use two different sizes of hole saw bits, you can make a plug that will fit real tight.

A 2 inch for the plug and a 1 7/8" for the core should work fine.

Use two different chunks of wood, one for the cache and one for the plug.

The 1/8 " difference accounts for the curf of the bit for a tight fit.

sad.gif Aww man... I dont have a band saw or a chainsaw. all I have is a handheld handsaw. It took me half an hour to cut a top section out:tired: Perhaps I'll just use a really big drill bit and put a film canister in there and call it a micro tongue_animated.gif I was looking foward to making a really cool cache. does anyone have another suggestion for a really nice cache? I might do a birdhouse one...

thnak you!

I am not going to post a pic, because I have a few hides using this technique, and want no spoilers. I use a 1 lb plastic tobacco tub, and cover the tub and lid in a wrap of birch bark, using hot glue. Before applying the bark, I find a slice of firewood the same size as the container and hot glue it to the lid. When all is encased, I use a utility knife and cut around the area where the lid separates from the container. I now have a 5 inch birch log of any length I desire, ready for planting as a cache. Just grasp the top and bottom, and twist to separate and reveal the swag.

IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Finally got my log done! :o

Took a lot of hard work but I did it!

I cut 2 rings off the top then cut a section out of the middle ring. Then I re attached the top with a nail, so that it swivels to reveal a film canister! YAY! :( It was no easy task doing the whole project with a handsaw and no drill bits over 1 inch, but its don now. Hope you like it! :(

:D:( -TOMTHEMAGICMAN :D:cry: