Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

True. I use plumbing glue. They end up being just as waterproof as the plumbing in your basement!

Since you arent going to share how they are made i am going to guess.

PVC with a cap sealed with PVC glue. An adapter and then a screw on cap. Unless you swipe the stuff from work or buy in bulk, the cap, adapter, and end would end up costing about $3 here at home depot. This cost does not include the PVC pipe.

It would be cheaper to go buy a Lock N Lock. It probably would hold more, be less likely to be viewed as a possible threat, and seal up better.

What is there to share. It's all in the picture? And no it does not cost that much.

What is there to share. It's all in the picture? And no it does not cost that much.

If you do not know plumbing then you would have a more difficult time than if someone would say how they did something and with what parts. I guessed at the parts and priced them in 1.5" PVC and did not lie on the prices. So either i looked at the wrong parts since i guessed, or they are in fact the price that i said (at least in this area). I looked at a cap, A threaded adapter and a threaded end. It was at least $2.50 and possibly over $3.00. And you dont get much more cheap than home depot.

Maybe you are not sharing because you are trying to sell these here.

If you do not know plumbing then you would have a more difficult time than if someone would say how they did something and with what parts. I guessed at the parts and priced them in 1.5" PVC and did not lie on the prices. So either i looked at the wrong parts since i guessed, or they are in fact the price that i said (at least in this area). I looked at a cap, A threaded adapter and a threaded end. It was at least $2.50 and possibly over $3.00. And you dont get much more cheap than home depot.

You consider this expensive? It's all a matter of perspective I guess, I have caches that have cost me over 50$ to build, I would certainly not consider the build of a little plastic pipe expensive.

You consider this expensive? It's all a matter of perspective I guess, I have caches that have cost me over 50$ to build, I would certainly not consider the build of a little plastic pipe expensive.

I agree….. Expensive is subjective..... I just copied one of the containers in this thread and it cost about $35 by the time I was done. But the logs have proved it was worth it! I'm looking forward to copying others soon! [:D]

I agree….. Expensive is subjective..... I just copied one of the containers in this thread and it cost about $35 by the time I was done. But the logs have proved it was worth it! I'm looking forward to copying others soon! [:D]

I dont think i said anywhere that this was expensive. What i said is that you cant get items much cheaper at HD and HD was about $3.00.

Maybe you missed the earlier part of this conversation. What i said is if you are going to spend $3 + the cost of PVC pipe, you might as well buy a Lock N Lock. There is nothing special about a PVC tube, so essentially it is just a cache container. For the cost to make the PVC if there is nothing special about it, you could just buy a lock N lock.

If the PVC tube was especially made for a certain cache type or hide, then this is something different.

Not trying to get into a peeing match with some folks, but all you have to do to make the pvc screw-on cap watertight is to cut a rubber gasket to fit inside...

And the title of the thread is "Cool Cache Containers"...which they are. Plain tupperware/gladware/lock-n-locks are less that reliable in the long run.

The waterproof containers available at your local Big Box are not for complete submersion for extended periods. They are to prevent cameras, cell-phones, wallets, etc. from being damaged in the case of being tossed or dropped in water. (i.e. floating)

If you want total submersion for extended periods of time, look to the "otter-box" type, or check out your local dive-shop.

Not trying to get into a peeing match with some folks, but all you have to do to make the pvc screw-on cap watertight is to cut a rubber gasket to fit inside...

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of that and no one else shared that info. Are these gaskets made especially for plumbing, or purchased somewhere else in a hardware store?

Are these gaskets made especially for plumbing, or purchased somewhere else in a hardware store?

Yes, do tell. I would very much like to make a fake log type cache, whose internal component would be PVC pipe. Because every single PVC pipe cache I've found, (about 20 or so), had moisture in it, (we have monstrously high humidity here), I kinda put the idea on a back burner. If I could come up with a better seal than those provided by the plastic threads of a screw in cap, my idea might come back to life. I am to plumbing what Rosie O'Donnell is to common sense, so I have no knowledge of my own to draw from. :D

True. I use plumbing glue. They end up being just as waterproof as the plumbing in your basement!
Since you arent going to share how they are made i am going to guess.

PVC with a cap sealed with PVC glue. An adapter and then a screw on cap. Unless you swipe the stuff from work or buy in bulk, the cap, adapter, and end would end up costing about $3 here at home depot. This cost does not include the PVC pipe.

It would be cheaper to go buy a Lock N Lock. It probably would hold more, be less likely to be viewed as a possible threat, and seal up better.

I'm wondering if you ever plan to let this go.
... I would very much like to make a fake log type cache, whose internal component would be PVC pipe. Because every single PVC pipe cache I've found, (about 20 or so), had moisture in it, (we have monstrously high humidity here), I kinda put the idea on a back burner. If I could come up with a better seal than those provided by the plastic threads of a screw in cap, my idea might come back to life. ...
Have you considered a test plug?

Test_Plug__Dollar_Plug.jpg

Edited by sbell111

Any hardware store should carry rubber gasket material. You just trace and trim.

Test plugs are also a very good alternative!

White PVC is not as durable as black ABS, in that pvc has a tendency to shatter or chip when dropped on a hard surface.

That, and it's easier to camo...

Good luck, all.

Brother, before you posted that image, I didn't even know what a test plug was. Remember the kid in shop class that couldn't build a cross from two pre-drilled 2x4's? That was me. I simply don't carry the handy man gene. :) The thing I like about the PVC pipe cache concept is its diversity. It comes in so many different diameters, that all you need is a hacksaw and you can make just about any size cache.

Brother, before you posted that image, I didn't even know what a test plug was. Remember the kid in shop class that couldn't build a cross from two pre-drilled 2x4's? That was me. I simply don't carry the handy man gene. :laughing: The thing I like about the PVC pipe cache concept is its diversity. It comes in so many different diameters, that all you need is a hacksaw and you can make just about any size cache.

If someone would share with you what parts to use. Wait, its all in the picture! :)

Are these gaskets made especially for plumbing, or purchased somewhere else in a hardware store?

Yes, do tell. I would very much like to make a fake log type cache, whose internal component would be PVC pipe. Because every single PVC pipe cache I've found, (about 20 or so), had moisture in it, (we have monstrously high humidity here), I kinda put the idea on a back burner. If I could come up with a better seal than those provided by the plastic threads of a screw in cap, my idea might come back to life. I am to plumbing what Rosie O'Donnell is to common sense, so I have no knowledge of my own to draw from. :)

If you go to any hardware store or auto parts store that has Jerry cans, they sell a replacement gasket for the spout - I would use the proper term for this opening but who knows where THAT would go - and or cap that should work well for the 2.5 or 3 inch pvc pipe.

Be sure to scrape the burrs off and clean the cut ends before applying glue and then give the joined ends a quarter twist after slipping them together but be fast as the stuff bonds real fast. That will give you the best seal.

One thing people should think about with these containers. If you place it with the cap down, then it will not fill with water if it leaks.

I don't have photos of it but I do have a cache hidden in a pumice rock. Basket ball size. Bored the hole out with a wire wheel on a drill. Worked real slick. Made another one along the same line to hide the water valve pipe for our house. Need to make one to hide a key in also.

logscaler.

I dont have a picture of it because, I never have my camera, but My first micro container I made was a receptacle box with a light swith, and receptacle, I placed it outside near a water feature at our church on a standing piece of electrical conduit , so if the a muggle see it they wont think anything of it. I will post a picture when I get one

heres a link

and then the fish could see

Edited by spankyjoe
Brother, before you posted that image, I didn't even know what a test plug was. Remember the kid in shop class that couldn't build a cross from two pre-drilled 2x4's? That was me. I simply don't carry the handy man gene. :D The thing I like about the PVC pipe cache concept is its diversity. It comes in so many different diameters, that all you need is a hacksaw and you can make just about any size cache.
Agreed. I don't know how many times that I've been in Home Depot picking up this or that and I've swung by the plumbing section, just to browse cache parts.

Brother, before you posted that image, I didn't even know what a test plug was. Remember the kid in shop class that couldn't build a cross from two pre-drilled 2x4's? That was me. I simply don't carry the handy man gene. :o The thing I like about the PVC pipe cache concept is its diversity. It comes in so many different diameters, that all you need is a hacksaw and you can make just about any size cache.

:D

Said the man who figured out the best way so far that I know of to texture camo an ammo can!

Thats funny. When at Home Depot i showed the kids the gang boxes they have there. I wonder how water tight they would be? Maybe not moisture free, but they would probably keep out the water. Of course they would need chained up. Also pretty hard to take to leave after a long hike. Put a lock on it and make it a puzzle cache. Although i have noticed people dont like puzzles as much...

lbv104870s_x.jpg

Murfster,

Here I was, enjoying the geocaching world when boom.........a picture of a storage container we use in construction..........there's a couple sitting outside the trailer now............(looks out window of job trailer on Saturday morning)............so this means, when I walk out on site (maybe now, got to get back to work :D ), I'll be reminded of geochaching all the time........... :rolleyes:

Oh, the cruelty of it all :blink:

Thats funny. When at Home Depot i showed the kids the gang boxes they have there. I wonder how water tight they would be? Maybe not moisture free, but they would probably keep out the water. Of course they would need chained up. Also pretty hard to take to leave after a long hike. Put a lock on it and make it a puzzle cache. Although i have noticed people dont like puzzles as much...

lbv104870s_x.jpg

I have a geocache not too unlike this one.

Be Like Rogheff

Edited by rogheff

Anyone here have experience in cutting into "softballs". Pix and some direction would be helpful before I start sawing away and likely blow myself up. There are some great softball fields around here and I have some good cache ideas.

Obviously I understand the "risk" of muggles, but my plan would surely avoid that.

Thanks

Guns&Hoses

Did you kill a tortoise for that? :D:D:lol::D

You are kidding, right?

The thing I found wrong with those Turtle shells is they have a tendency to fall apart over time.

The Antler one would end up getting packed off and sold or given to a dog as a chew toy.

Keep the ideas coming, I have seen several I would like to have the time to replicate.

Logscaler.

only problem I see with the shell & antler caches is some muggle might grab it to keep.

I do have a question about an unusual, creative cache... there is a large tree near where I live, with a good size hole in the side of it from where a branch had fallen off. I have materials here at home that would enable me to make a mold of the hole, and create a kind of "plug" for it, that would contain the cache and blend in with the tree on the outside. Since it would be using a pre-existing hole, that would be allowed, correct?

We have a similar idea planned and have yet to hide it.

In the above picture, unless the cache page specifically said the log was hard to find- it may be difficult.

I think finders would just add their own log sheet assuming that the original has turned up missing. Once one is there everyone would just keep signing it.

Great hide though! :laughing:

We have a similar idea planned and have yet to hide it.

In the above picture, unless the cache page specifically said the log was hard to find- it may be difficult.

I think finders would just add their own log sheet assuming that the original has turned up missing. Once one is there everyone would just keep signing it.

Great hide though! :laughing:

I would make sure that they knew the log is in the container and if they don't sign the right log then there name would be removed. The only reason I didn't place this one is simply because I got into this sport for fun. Not to make someone upset because they couldn't find the log or they wrote it down on the wrong log book that someone added. My other thought was to hide the pencil in a dry place next to an empty 35mm canister. I do have a sneaky public park micro that I'm working on. I like making evil micro's but I got a lot of people sending me nasty e-mails because they can't find something I hide. Some people are weird, they hate micro's but they'll search for them anyway and then get mad because you skunked 'em. A buddy of mine had several of his micro's all muggled around the same time. It was obvious from his hides that it was another cacher. Swizzle

The only reason I didn't place this one is simply because I got into this sport for fun. Not to make someone upset because they couldn't find the log or they wrote it down on the wrong log book that someone added.

While some may dislike it, i think many will like it.

If you can make it work i say go for it! Its a cool idea!

Not all caches are for everyone.

I would love to find a cache like that.

This is a copycat Cache of on I saw in this forum....Thanks for the ideaPicture135.jpg

Picture134.jpg

Anyone know how well the antlers hold up? Lots of creatures like to gnaw on them. I would think at the least they would need to be anchored but still might be destroyed by gnawing wildlife.

Anyone know how well the antlers hold up? Lots of creatures like to gnaw on them. I would think at the least they would need to be anchored but still might be destroyed by gnawing wildlife.

I'm thinking that you should shellac them or something to make them less appealing. Coyotes have been know to carry them off and porcupines, chipmunks, squirrels and mice love them. Its about the only natural source of calcium that a critter gets and when they find a set of antlers it doesn't take them long to make it disappear. I give it about 3 years max in prime conditions leaving the antler plain. If treated then who knows. In a highly populated area of porcupines and squirrels it might be gone in a month. Your best bet it to give it a finish and then put it out of the reach of them antler munchers. Swizzle

These are not my pictures. Another cacher emailed them to me to remain anonymous. Im not sure exactly how its made though. You'll get the idea.

**Edit to add info on how made. It took me a while but now i understand it... Its all superglue, hairspray, fire tack (works better then a thumb tack),map preservative, neodymium magnet, a straw, water proof log paper and a tooth pick, oh yeah and the cocoon.**

image003if6.th.jpg

image004lo8.th.jpg

image005ki8.th.jpg

image006ob3.th.jpg

image007um8.th.jpg

Edited by knight2000