Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

A small pipe to be placed on a wodden post.

Pipe-1.jpg

I'll probably be poking the wooden post too...

Just a thought. :mmraspberry: I would be concerned that it is mistaken for a pipe bomb.
I agree...looks like a pipe bomb. Neat container that took some TLC to make but probably going to cause some alarm. We hear about bomb squads being called out and destroying caches....this would be a prime example.
Hummm size is probably more at issue here (hard to tell from photo), this is only the size of a small tube, less than my finger and the installation is to be placed between a post as some sort of holding screw. :signalviolin:
Agreed. As soon as you mentioned post poking, I knew this one would not be an issue (and that someone would try to make it one). Edited by sbell111

it gets great reviews. took snippets from the actual logs.

June 9 by GerIRL (431 found)

....Nice container....

April 13 by Millennium Mom (312 found)

....Pretty good container you made!....

January 7 by Arrow One (374 found)

....Love the container,....

December 22, 2006 by Melson (38 found)

....very cool cache....

October 27, 2006 by ihave206bones (118 found)

.... Cool find....

August 17, 2006 by sher'ssis (29 found)

....great container....

May 11, 2006 by auntkaren (155 found)

....Neat container....

April 13, 2006 by doogelah (1018 found)

....I like the container....

January 19, 2006 by stahlpower (238 found)

....I like the custom cache container....

January 1, 2006 by Quoddy (1333 found)

....Nice cache container...no worry about that one getting wet....

December 31, 2005 by nickph17 (3 found)

....nice container....

December 17, 2005 by KrazyTrollz (1162 found)

....Cool cache container....

December 17, 2005 by Wanderings (437 found)

....Interesting container....

I'm looking for the right place to put this. The 'skinny' end should make a great place to glue a small HDD magnet. I'd like to 'hide it in plain sight', but out of weather so the log won't get wet. A whole 'nuther dimension to 'Altoids Tins' . . . :signalviolin:

Altoids01.jpg

Altoids02.jpg

Altoids03.jpg

JohnTee

I have one of those at home that was stage one of a cache back in Las Vegas. I painted it the same color as a park bench, put a magnet in it, and wrote the coords for stage two inside the lid.

Too bad stage two went missing :mmraspberry:

So it is a PVC pipe with a screw on end?

At leat I take time to make my containers instead of using a "Small sandwich size" container

I am afraid you think i am criticizing you. I am not. I am trying to find out more info on this container and how to make it. You posted pics but give little more info.

What is wrong with using a sandwich size container? Are those bad to use? Should i say instead it is a small container about 6" x 6"?

I have made my own containers and our hides are not typical. Not that it should really matter though...

I'm looking for the right place to put this. The 'skinny' end should make a great place to glue a small HDD magnet. I'd like to 'hide it in plain sight', but out of weather so the log won't get wet. A whole 'nuther dimension to 'Altoids Tins' . . . :signalviolin:

Altoids01.jpg

Altoids02.jpg

Altoids03.jpg

JohnTee

I have one of those at home that was stage one of a cache back in Las Vegas. I painted it the same color as a park bench, put a magnet in it, and wrote the coords for stage two inside the lid.

I found one of these on a boad that is just sitting by the bayin my town. It was soaked...great micro hide but really needs to be in a place out of the elements. Good luck!

So it is a PVC pipe with a screw on end?

At leat I take time to make my containers instead of using a "Small sandwich size" container

I am afraid you think i am criticizing you. I am not. I am trying to find out more info on this container and how to make it. You posted pics but give little more info.

What is wrong with using a sandwich size container? Are those bad to use? Should i say instead it is a small container about 6" x 6"?

I have made my own containers and our hides are not typical. Not that it should really matter though...

Sorry.When you said sandwic size i thought you meant like a throw away tupperware thingy. I am not in the best mood today.

And yes it is PVC.

It is certainly not throw a throw away container.

Can you share how you made it? Is it just a pvc with capped end and threaded end? How does the threaded end keep out moisture? Im assuming you do not need a tool to open. If you do not, then how would that keep out moisture?

Altoids01.jpg

Altoids02.jpg

Altoids03.jpg

JohnTee

I found one of these on a boad that is just sitting by the bayin my town. It was soaked...great micro hide but really needs to be in a place out of the elements. Good luck!

Yeah, that's why with mine there was only the coords for the next stage printed on the inside with a Sharpie, those aren't exactly waterproof :drama:

[well, here is my most creative cache container to this point. a lock & lock, used gorilla glue around the outside and embedded pea gravel into the gorilla glue. I used alittle green spraypaint to make it mossy/weathered. the cache is located in a pile of old concrete like rocks so this blends in very well. I have had trouble finding it when i've gone out to check on it. It survived the winter and holding up well.

100_1762.jpg100_1759.jpg

Edited by mdegarmo

That rock looks nice. Is it different from the ones made with foam? Any chance in sharing your methods?

att2246392ru6.jpg

I wish I had taken some construction progress pictures but I was moving fast and working loose. I cut the overall shape out of some 1/2 plywood with my jig saw, then cut out one more that was just a ring and a third that was solid (picture all three nesting into one another). These were lightly nailed using my finish nailer and some scraps of wood creating something that looked like a three tiered wedding cake. I put a bunch of wadded up newspaper on the top tier and in various places around the lower tiers. Then I took an old polar fleece blanket and streched it over the whole kit and caboodle stapling it down to the underneath side of the bottom ring. The whole shooting match then got three heavy coats of epoxy resin on the outside. When that I was dry I stripped out the top and middle tiers and the wadding and put 1 coat on the inside. I eventually added a layer of 10 oz fiberglass cloth to the top 1/3 because I was worried about it being strong enough but that was probably over kill.

That rock is even cooler considering how you made it. Care to share the possible costs involved?

Pretty hard to quantify really. The blanket was slated to go in one of the dog's house so it was free. The plywood I had laying around so it was free. The only real cost would be the Epoxy I used and since I buy that 15 gallons at a swipe and I didn't really measure my usage I dunno. From start to first coat of goo I probably spent three hours so I CAN quantify my time/money...100 million dollars <_<

[well, here is my most creative cache container to this point. a lock & lock, used gorilla glue around the outside and embedded pea gravel into the gorilla glue. I used alittle green spraypaint to make it mossy/weathered. the cache is located in a pile of old concrete like rocks so this blends in very well. I have had trouble finding it when i've gone out to check on it. It survived the winter and holding up well.

It is a great container. How long has it been out for? I contacted gorilla glue about it working on plastic and they said it wouldn't. I used it on one of mine and shortly afterward it failed. Im glad it is working for you. That is a really cool design/idea. It seems to have worked out great for you!

That rock is even cooler considering how you made it. Care to share the possible costs involved?

Pretty hard to quantify really. The blanket was slated to go in one of the dog's house so it was free. The plywood I had laying around so it was free. The only real cost would be the Epoxy I used and since I buy that 15 gallons at a swipe and I didn't really measure my usage I dunno. From start to first coat of goo I probably spent three hours so I CAN quantify my time/money...100 million dollars <_<

I am also wondering if it would hold up to someone sitting on it. Or maybe a child standing on it.

Our local Wal-Mart has started selling these plastic watertight cases in the camping department. They're made by Outdoor Products. They have a soft gasket around the top edge like a lock-and-lock. I tested one by weighing it down with coins wrapped in some paper towel and submerging it in my pool. After about 15 minutes it was pretty clear it wasn't gushing water around inside, so I took it to the 5-foot depth (16.9 psi) and left it there for 30 minutes. After retrieving it, the towel had one teeny wet spot on it. There are a couple of small sharp points of flashing on the plastic edge that seals against the soft gasket. Maybe trimming those down would make it more waterproof, but it certainly is sufficiently water-resistant for a cache. Has anyone used one of these yet? This one will NOT be placed with all the coins in it! <_<

e2f6e58c-46a9-4483-8cf4-dce355f14192.jpg

c29c22c6-161e-4516-9a86-e7b417e118eb.jpg

abf75f2c-a953-4f04-b01c-2743d0149b6d.jpg

042ddcd3-512b-487e-9710-20ccd4985733.jpg

58c4e214-06a8-442b-ba04-04d9fb91a61e.jpg

I have seen them before. I wondered how they would do in a test like you just did. At only 30 minutes, i am unimpressed. Maybe a Lock N Lock would do the same...

I forget the prices for them. Are they $5 for the small and $7 for the larger?

Certainly adequate for a regular cache but i would worry about a submerged cache. Unless it was nested.

... so I took it to the 5-foot depth (16.9 psi) ...

I guess that includes sea level air pressure. The differential at 5 feet depth is more like 2.2 psi. Maybe a diving cacher can elucidate...

concur. Not a diver, but deal with water pipes.

1 foot of water head pressure = 0.433 psi

Wow these are some amazing cache containers!

A little off topic here but I wanted to make a cache container using clear PVC, but can't seem to find it anywhere near me (Chicagoland). I figure making the tube clear would alleviate some of the fears that people hold when they see a hidden tube shaped object. Anyone know where to get this stuff?

Sorry if this is too off topic, but I assumed this was too small a question to start its own thread.

I am also wondering if it would hold up to someone sitting on it. Or maybe a child standing on it.

I'm over 200#'s and I can sit on it with zero deflection. A child standing on it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Rigidity is the primary reason I left the plywood ring at the bottom in place. If I cut that out I would be worried about it pancaking

Wow these are some amazing cache containers!

A little off topic here but I wanted to make a cache container using clear PVC, but can't seem to find it anywhere near me (Chicagoland). I figure making the tube clear would alleviate some of the fears that people hold when they see a hidden tube shaped object. Anyone know where to get this stuff?

Sorry if this is too off topic, but I assumed this was too small a question to start its own thread.

I've never seen clear PVC pipes, but have been interested in making one out of transaprent aluminum.

A little off topic here but I wanted to make a cache container using clear PVC, but can't seem to find it anywhere near me (Chicagoland).

These folks deliver:

http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/index.asp?Page...amp;Category=19

My only concern is that, historically, PVC pipe makes pretty lousy containers. I've found oodles of them, and to date, I haven't found a single one that was completely dry inside. The common misconception is that, "Hey, this holds liquid in, surely it'll keep liquid out", which might be true if the container was assembled with PVC cement at all the connection points. Naturally, this would make it impossible to open, but at least the contents would stay dry. :laughing: Some folks solve this dilemma by adding a screw in cap to one end. This solution is not perfect, in that the cap needs to either be loose enough to be unscrewed by hand, or tight enough to keep moisture out, requiring a wrench to remove. The wettest ones I've found utilized a slip on type cap.

I live in a high humidity environment, which may be the reason for all the wet logs I've found in PVC pipe caches. Dry climates might fare differently.

These folks deliver:

My only concern is that, historically, PVC pipe makes pretty lousy containers. I've found oodles of them, and to date, I haven't found a single one that was completely dry inside. The common misconception is that, "Hey, this holds liquid in, surely it'll keep liquid out", which might be true if the container was assembled with PVC cement at all the connection points. Naturally, this would make it impossible to open, but at least the contents would stay dry. :laughing: Some folks solve this dilemma by adding a screw in cap to one end. This solution is not perfect, in that the cap needs to either be loose enough to be unscrewed by hand, or tight enough to keep moisture out, requiring a wrench to remove. The wettest ones I've found utilized a slip on type cap.

I live in a high humidity environment, which may be the reason for all the wet logs I've found in PVC pipe caches. Dry climates might fare differently.

Mine have never gotten wet

These folks deliver:

there is another problem......they are commonly mistaken for bombs, that could result in your cache being blown up and you being arrested. is it really that hard to find a better, dryer, and safer container?

I'm over 200#'s and I can sit on it with zero deflection. A child standing on it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Rigidity is the primary reason I left the plywood ring at the bottom in place. If I cut that out I would be worried about it pancaking

That is so cool. So far, it appears to be the best rock i have seen. It looks real and blows that foam away. (From what i can see.)

I am unfamiliar with epoxy so i still am not sure on the cost. It sounds like a great idea. Good job!

Are there any special steps you take in building these or extra materials you use to make sure that they are in fact waterproof?

there is another problem......they are commonly mistaken for bombs, that could result in your cache being blown up and you being arrested. is it really that hard to find a better, dryer, and safer container?

That was the whole reason for using clear PVC. I would probably tape or glue a message on the inside facing out that would alleviate any such fears, plus they could see everything that is inside. Anyone that would be investigating it would immediately be able to see that it is not in fact a bomb.

It is a great container. How long has it been out for? I contacted gorilla glue about it working on plastic and they said it wouldn't. I used it on one of mine and shortly afterward it failed. Im glad it is working for you. That is a really cool design/idea. It seems to have worked out great for you!

It has been out since 12/9/06. FYI: I used a spray adhesive first on the container and let it get tacky and then once the gorilla glue was on I waited very patiently for it to 'bubble' up and place the rocks in. so it took awhile to do each side of the container. seems like it's doing well.

Very kewl! Florida's a whole different world when it comes to container selection. With an average humidity of 95%, just about everything gets damp here. I reckon the Garden State is quite a bit dryer than here. Those folks in the link seem to sell just about every conceivable size & shape of clear PVC, and they may be able to direct you to a local retailer.

I use 3" schedule 40 clear PVC to build 4' long green fluorescent lights which we submerge for recreational shrimping. Works great.

What kind of fittings do you use?

I am unfamiliar with epoxy so i still am not sure on the cost. It sounds like a great idea. Good job!

You could and probably should substitute plain old polyester fiberglass resin. It's cheaper, easier to work with and considerably safer. You can usually find it in gallon jugs at any decent hardware store. I only used epoxy because I have it around for another hobby (boat building). The other big advantage to polyester is that you would be able to use Bondo for addtional texture, details etc. I'll probably go that route if I build another one.

True. I use plumbing glue. They end up being just as waterproof as the plumbing in your basement!

Since you arent going to share how they are made i am going to guess.

PVC with a cap sealed with PVC glue. An adapter and then a screw on cap. Unless you swipe the stuff from work or buy in bulk, the cap, adapter, and end would end up costing about $3 here at home depot. This cost does not include the PVC pipe.

It would be cheaper to go buy a Lock N Lock. It probably would hold more, be less likely to be viewed as a possible threat, and seal up better.