Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

This is a .50 cal. ammo can covered with vinyl car wrap material. The tag on the TB is also printed on the same stuff and then applied to a corrugated plastic card that I then grommeted.

The camouflage pattern is actually a photograph that I took of the bark of an old dead log, laying not far from where the cache was place.

The tag for the TB turned out really cool too. Not only does it have all the text info on it, it also has a picture (lightly printed) of the view from where it was originally placed.

I have also just wrapped about 10 more (upcoming) new cache containers. These are covered with mossy oak cammo. Also printed on car wrap vinyl. Only these I did using scraps from a job. They use the very best 3M Controltac vinyl and lamination. No fancy lettering on them though.

If anyone wants pictures, just ask and I will post them.

I am thinking about marketing kits. The stuff is pretty EXPENSIVE though. Would anyone be interested in this sort of thing?9c3b708d-2fc1-4f4b-984a-1c93d12c6782.jpg

Two others are PVC containers, one large, one small, both covered with birch bark. The last one is a log split the long way, hollowed out and hinged, with a small PVC tube inside. They look pretty good.

Here ya go. - How did you do that with the birch bark?

P1010514-1.jpg

P1010515.jpg

I glued the bark to the PVC using Gorilla glue. First I had to peel thin strips off off some dead and downed trees I found near our house. I also used hose clamps and rubber bands to hold the bark on the PVC while the glue dried.

I found a rather peculiar looking ammo can in a surplus store in Tampa, and gave it my usual camo job. 60CSx added for scale.

896ac768-fdcc-4991-8bc8-9d8cd276c281.jpg

What did you use to glue the moss to the can? I tried a camo job with hot glue but that did not survive our winter, I'm guessing the extreme cold srunk the glue and it came off, right now I'm trying Liquid Nail to see if that will work.

I'm looking for the right place to put this. The 'skinny' end should make a great place to glue a small HDD magnet. I'd like to 'hide it in plain sight', but out of weather so the log won't get wet. A whole 'nuther dimension to 'Altoids Tins' . . . :ph34r:

Altoids01.jpg

Altoids02.jpg

Altoids03.jpg

JohnTee

I'm looking for the right place to put this. The 'skinny' end should make a great place to glue a small HDD magnet. I'd like to 'hide it in plain sight', but out of weather so the log won't get wet. A whole 'nuther dimension to 'Altoids Tins' . . . :ph34r:

I've seen a number of those. I'm not overly fond of them actually.

JohnTee

JohnTee

I've seen a number of those. I'm not overly fond of them actually.

Here in the backwoods of Southeast Missouri it will be a first one, hence, a novelty, for a while. Why, we even had our first LPC placed recently! :ph34r:

I am planning to build a few of these. I will seal it up with silicone. If you pull out the perch it will drop the interior box. The hole will be painted on, and the whole thing will be made of red cedar.

Consider your birdhouse idea stolen. :ph34r: I have worked with the MO Dept of Conservation in placing a geocache along a particular trail that they don't want people leaving. I placed a micro along the handicapped section of the trail, but wanted to placed a regluar/small-medium container along the main hiking section of the trail. I'd been playing around with the idea of modifying a bluebird house, but not gotten into the 'nuts and bolts' of the idea. I really like that drop out box. That should work well for the second area.

JohnTee

Edited by JohnTee

Hey Riff,got a before pic of that can?

Sorry Brother, I was negligent in my picture taking duties. I can do the next best thing;

Here's the uncamo'ed reverse side. It's got latches on both sides, and the lid lifts straight up.

8186a0dd-8270-4c3a-a4b8-3999e79da95e.jpg

These plastic inserts were inside the cache. They look like they held some kind of large poiny munition.

be16fa18-ccae-4971-a148-d549152a2a7d.jpg

Two others are PVC containers, one large, one small, both covered with birch bark. The last one is a log split the long way, hollowed out and hinged, with a small PVC tube inside. They look pretty good.

Here ya go. - How did you do that with the birch bark?

P1010514-1.jpg

P1010515.jpg

I glued the bark to the PVC using Gorilla glue. First I had to peel thin strips off off some dead and downed trees I found near our house. I also used hose clamps and rubber bands to hold the bark on the PVC while the glue dried.

Nice containers! However, just a note: even with Gorilla Glue, the bark will peel. I have one like that, and have found another, and in both cases, the bark peeled badly, although it took a couple of years (which really isn't bad). The problem is, the glue sticks like crazy, but the bark layers can still split apart.

I am planning to build a few of these. I will seal it up with silicone. If you pull out the perch it will drop the interior box. The hole will be painted on, and the whole thing will be made of red cedar.

Thats funny. This morning i went to a local craft store with my daughter to check out their bird houses for a similar type of hide.

Love the idea, and may try to replicate. I love inventive hides.

Thanks for sharing!

Thats funny. This morning i went to a local craft store with my daughter to check out their bird houses for a similar type of hide.

Love the idea, and may try to replicate. I love inventive hides.

Thanks for sharing!

I dont know about this idea....If you do this, then people may get the idea REAL birdhouses may be cache containers, and tear them apart searching for the contents, and disturb the wildlife in bird sanctuaries. Just think of all those broken eggs, and abandoned baby birds after they get the human scent on them.

I would strongly advise against this type of container.

Besides, people who find these may like the idea so much, they decide to place similar containers of their own...Then where would we be?...probably complaining on the forums about the outbreak of lame birdhouse caches...Oh the Horror!!!

I guess it is something to consider.

I have done several bird house caches. One had two birdhouses with one being the cache. It was obvious which was which. One didn't have a bird hole while the other did.

The other was a bird house that was real with a separate compartment for the cache.

I agree with not making bird nests into cache or disguising them that way. Bit i hadn't thought about actual houses. Wouldn't most people be able to tell if they were occupied without touching them?

I have done several bird house caches. One had two birdhouses with one being the cache. It was obvious which was which. One didn't have a bird hole while the other did.

The other was a bird house that was real with a separate compartment for the cache.

I agree with not making bird nests into cache or disguising them that way. Bit i hadn't thought about actual houses. Wouldn't most people be able to tell if they were occupied without touching them?

Don't be so gullible.......

I'm looking for the right place to put this. The 'skinny' end should make a great place to glue a small HDD magnet. I'd like to 'hide it in plain sight', but out of weather so the log won't get wet. A whole 'nuther dimension to 'Altoids Tins' . . . :D

Altoids01.jpg

Altoids02.jpg

Altoids03.jpg

JohnTee

Those are quite sinister.

Found this one hiding in a multilevel parking garage. Took me a few visits to get it.

No. I have a hanging basket that some birds took up residence in and I watered it when a bird was present. It burst out suddenly, flying, and...well, the adrenalin rush cleared my sinuses nicely. Birds can be pretty sneaky.

Hey Riff,got a before pic of that can?

Sorry Brother, I was negligent in my picture taking duties. I can do the next best thing;

Here's the uncamo'ed reverse side. It's got latches on both sides, and the lid lifts straight up.

8186a0dd-8270-4c3a-a4b8-3999e79da95e.jpg

These plastic inserts were inside the cache. They look like they held some kind of large poiny munition.

be16fa18-ccae-4971-a148-d549152a2a7d.jpg

Ahh,looks like 25mil or 40 mike mikes.Right on.

LOL..... :(B):huh::angry::D:angry::angry::blink::angry:B)

LOL..... B)B):(:blink:B):D:D:angry:B)B)

:angry::angry::angry::huh:

It seems that everytime someone comes up with an inventive hide, there is someone waiting in the wings happily warning against it.

"You can't hide a cache under a pile of sticks. Before you know it people will be disturbing every pile of sticks looking for a cache."

It seems that everytime someone comes up with an inventive hide, there is someone waiting in the wings happily warning against it.

"You can't hide a cache under a pile of sticks. Before you know it people will be disturbing every pile of sticks looking for a cache."

Exactly my point.

I just have a problem by making my points using sarcasm & satire.

People need to just chill. :laughing:

Edited by Cracker.

I dont know about this idea....If you do this, then people may get the idea REAL birdhouses may be cache containers, and tear them apart searching for the contents, and disturb the wildlife in bird sanctuaries. Just think of all those broken eggs, and abandoned baby birds after they get the human scent on them.

I would strongly advise against this type of container.

actually did see this occur.

someone hid a difficult cache near a tree duck house near a lake. The entire area, including the duck house itself was subsequently torn to pieces by someone apparently looking for something.

might have been a coincedence... :laughing:

I drilled a hole into a post that I own. If anybody has a beef with that they can just be unhappy. I actually drilled 3 holes. One to hide the cache behind a blue reflector - OMG!!! I screwed 3 screws into the post too in order to attach 2 of the reflectors!. Surely I'll be judged harshly. ;)

I'm not really bagging on your cache. Just want to point out that a blue reflector would indicate the presence of a fire hydrant nearby. A firefighter without superb knowledge of the area might be distracted. A more appropiate reflector color might be better.

I drilled a hole into a post that I own. If anybody has a beef with that they can just be unhappy. I actually drilled 3 holes. One to hide the cache behind a blue reflector - OMG!!! I screwed 3 screws into the post too in order to attach 2 of the reflectors!. Surely I'll be judged harshly. ;)

I'm not really bagging on your cache. Just want to point out that a blue reflector would indicate the presence of a fire hydrant nearby. A firefighter without superb knowledge of the area might be distracted. A more appropiate reflector color might be better.

Actually, a blue reflector ON THE ROAD indicates a fire hydrant. Blue reflectors on posts are used in many places to indicate entrances to driveways, etc. Firefighters know better than to confuse a "slow down" type of sign with dual reflectors on a post with a blue road reflector that is placed in the middle of the roadway.

I drilled a hole into a post that I own. If anybody has a beef with that they can just be unhappy. I actually drilled 3 holes. One to hide the cache behind a blue reflector - OMG!!! I screwed 3 screws into the post too in order to attach 2 of the reflectors!. Surely I'll be judged harshly. :o

Actually, a blue reflector ON THE ROAD indicates a fire hydrant. Blue reflectors on posts are used in many places to indicate entrances to driveways, etc. Firefighters know better than to confuse a "slow down" type of sign with dual reflectors on a post with a blue road reflector that is placed in the middle of the roadway.

You just can't win can you Thrak? :unsure::unsure:

And surely you'll be judged harshly...<_<:blink:

Edited by vtmtnman

My second silly bird, this is to replaced the one that got blown off in the winds of last years hurricane leftovers. This time it is equipped with rare-earth magnets inside the nest and on the bird. Let's see you blow this one away. :rolleyes:

BirdNest-1.jpg

No birds were actually hurt (or poked) during the making of this cache.

A small pipe to be placed on a wodden post.

Pipe-1.jpg

I'll probably be poking the wooden post too...

Just a thought. :rolleyes: I would be concerned that it is mistaken for a pipe bomb.

I agree...looks like a pipe bomb. Neat container that took some TLC to make but probably going to cause some alarm. We hear about bomb squads being called out and destroying caches....this would be a prime example.

Edited by B & Lela

A small pipe to be placed on a wodden post.

Pipe-1.jpg

I'll probably be poking the wooden post too...

Just a thought. :signalviolin: I would be concerned that it is mistaken for a pipe bomb.

I agree...looks like a pipe bomb. Neat container that took some TLC to make but probably going to cause some alarm. We hear about bomb squads being called out and destroying caches....this would be a prime example.

Hummm size is probably more at issue here (hard to tell from photo), this is only the size of a small tube, less than my finger and the installation is to be placed between a post as some sort of holding screw. :mmraspberry: