Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

<snip>

I have a parking meter. Still working on how to incorporate that as well. Maybe a key in one location, and meter at next.

Man, a parking meter would be awesome! Talk about urban camo.

I wonder if there's any in town that aren't bolted down tight...

meter.jpg

yea man me and my friend jack these all the time and turn em into caches... its tight

Is there any safe golf ball to drill in to? Or are they all meant to kill us? It is weird that golf ball would explode. Why would it explode. Is it just to keep people like us from having fun? :huh:

Golf balls explode? Oooopsss I wish I had known that as a kid when I used to open them up the hundred to unwind the rubber bands... (Hey it was a small town okay? Got a problem with that????? :blink: )

When I was a kid, a neighborhood kid opened one up and built a huge "spider web" out of the rubber bands. It went between our tree and the electric pole across the sidewalk. Looked great. The problem was he forgot and that night rode into it on his bike (even though it was under a light!). Ouch!! :huh:

yea man me and my friend jack these all the time and turn em into caches... its tight

Translated into English.

Yes, my friend and I steal parking meters, and convert them into caches, it's cool. :laughing:

ummmm..... you were just PWNED

Ummm.... In my opinion, you were made to look like a fool. :unsure:

Just had to archive this large ammo can cache in a cemetary, titled "Old George". They cut down all the brush that was around it. It originally looked like a 'forgotten' tombstone off in the bushes next to the cemetary. I didn't want to leave it in the open. The workmen evidently thought it was real, because they cleared all around it and left it be...Here is my final log with several pics of the container...I'll put one here:

bae1bc38-6648-4319-99f3-232ded7c34d7.jpg

Wow Canoe Guy, that was one cool cache.

Any chance you have a shot of it in its glory with all the brush and what not?

REALLY wish I did. Kept meaning on getting a pic, just in case the container got muggled, but never did. At least I got a pic of the container itself. Before, you could see the cache container from the cleared cemetary grounds, but only if you were looking for it. To get to it, you had to stoop and enter a "cave" of vines and tree branches. One finder came at night and knew it was "in there", but saw the tombstone and decided to come back in daylight, only to find out the stone WAS the cache!

My husband works with security and alarm systems of all sorts. I found this in the garage today, destined for the trash:

NewCache.jpg

I plan to hang it on the back side of a tree just off a half-mile long trail, and will either hide a container inside it, or tape coords behind the spring-loaded door and use it as the first leg of a two-stage multi (if the final were close to a fire tower or fire station, even better). Has anyone hidden anything in this manner? If so, how does it go over? If not, I claim the potential bragging rights. :mad:

Otis Pug did this a couple of years ago. There was even a working alarm!

Team Geo-Jedi

Just had to archive this large ammo can cache in a cemetary, titled "Old George". They cut down all the brush that was around it. It originally looked like a 'forgotten' tombstone off in the bushes next to the cemetary. I didn't want to leave it in the open. The workmen evidently thought it was real, because they cleared all around it and left it be...Here is my final log with several pics of the container...I'll put one here:

bae1bc38-6648-4319-99f3-232ded7c34d7.jpg

That is just great. :D

That's great canoe guy! How did you do your lettering? They look carved. Paint it, then lay a stencil over it and 'carve' the letters back out, followed by more paint?

JohnTee

The whole thing is spray paint. I first painted the entire ammo can with faux stone paint, available at your local home store. It is "textured" paint. I then printed out the letters and geocaching symbol on the computer, laid them on a thick paper file folder, and cut out the letters with a razorblade knife to make a stencil. The "depth" you see in the lettering come from doing the letters once in a grey spraypaint, shifting the stencil slightly up and to the right, and then repainting the letters with black. This left a little grey showing around the edges, so it looks 3D. Make sure you spray from a distance so the letters are light and a little fuzzy and the paint does not run. I then "antiqued" the whole thing with a light spray of grey, black, and brown paints, making sure it looked weathered, dirty, and distressed.

Anyone wishing to copy go ahead, but I would love an email of the link to the cache so I can see what others are doing. Anyone willing to email me pics of their "tombstones" would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Canoe Guy
That's great canoe guy! How did you do your lettering? They look carved. Paint it, then lay a stencil over it and 'carve' the letters back out, followed by more paint?
The whole thing is spray paint. ...
Cool. When I first looked at your pic, I thought it was made out of cement that was pored into a form and then the letters stamped in as it set up.

I put this one out last week. I used a trailer hitch cover (WalMart $1.99) as an outer cover for a 35mm canister. I qlued a small block of wood to the bottom of the container then put a nail into that to act as an anchor. I then used camo material to cover the trailer hitch over. That will help protect the canister from rain. I then placed it along a windy twisty road up in the hills. It's a nice little cache, well received. The bottom picture is of the cache in-place but it was taken a pretty close range. The bugger is really tuff to spot when your searching for it. :laughing:

30cvdir.jpg

33l1ixh.jpg

2hdqvic.jpg

Edited by Segerguy
I put this one out last week. I used a trailer hitch cover (WalMart $1.99) as an outer cover for a 35mm canister. I qlued a small block of wood to the bottom of the container then put a nail into that to act as an anchor. I then used camo material to cover the trailer hitch over. That will help protect the canister from rain. I then placed it along a windy twisty road up in the hills. It's a nice little cache, well received. The bottom picture is of the cache in-place but it was taken a pretty close range. The bugger is really tuff to spot when your searching for it. :laughing:

If water gets in, you might consider switching to the film canisters that have a lid that snaps into the lower part. They are much more water resistant.

canister.jpg

I put this one out last week. I used a trailer hitch cover (WalMart $1.99) as an outer cover for a 35mm canister. I qlued a small block of wood to the bottom of the container then put a nail into that to act as an anchor. I then used camo material to cover the trailer hitch over. That will help protect the canister from rain. I then placed it along a windy twisty road up in the hills. It's a nice little cache, well received. The bottom picture is of the cache in-place but it was taken a pretty close range. The bugger is really tuff to spot when your searching for it. :blink:

If water gets in, you might consider switching to the film canisters that have a lid that snaps into the lower part. They are much more water resistant.

canister.jpg

Excellant Suggestion!! In fact, I have some of those type of containers in my shop so I'll replace it with one the next time I go up there and before the rainy season starts here in SoCal. Thanks!

Looks like Canoe Guy could redeploy that headstone cache somewhere else if he wants to .

It is being redeployed in a different state by my good friend who helped me make it. I'm not saying where! :blink:

Tennessee is no longer accepting new cemetary caches due to some old law about playing games in a cemetary. Old caches are grandfathered, but no new ones. As this is pretty much a cemetary cache, My friend is going to take a turn with it and give others a chance to find it!

Edited by Canoe Guy

This was one of our first hides.

The container

full_7414_p110657.jpeg

One more of the container

full_7414_p110656.jpeg

The Cache

A link to an image of the hidden container..

The Hide.. Spoiler Image

A link to an album with more photos of the location

The Complete Album

Had a number of great comments, evil, maybe. Fun Yes!!

Hey! We found this last weekend! When we found it the magnetic part was stuck to the bottom of the cabinet so it was in a horizontal fashion, not the side in the natural position.

I just finished the camo on this cache. It's not very remarkable, but it should suffice. It's gonna be hidden on a support beam under a boardwalk, which winds through a wetland. You can't leave the boardwalk due to some rather extreme mud. The cache will only be visible to folks who look through the cracks of the boardwalk, which is why I only put physical camo on one side. All I did was cut a few pieces of weathered fence board to fit, then Gorilla Glued them to the side, then spray painted the rest of the can with flat tan, with a couple spritzes of flat brown for good measure.

d0037e5f-2b12-4086-95cb-7c6b64101021.jpg

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Very kewl! Care to share the gory camo details? What kind of container? What kind of glue? Real or faux leaves? Etc? I don't think you'll need to worry about it getting muggled. Heck, if it wasn't for the "Y" shaped branch as a ground zero indicator, you might have a tough time finding it yourself on maintenance visits. I actually had that happen to me on my Our Tribute cache. It's a camo'ed ammo can tucked into the root ball of a fallen tree. A noob DNF'ed it, so I went out to do a maintenance check, and it took me a couple minutes to find it. My initial belief was that it was MIA. Here's what it looks like out of it's hiding spot;

731fb9c1-911f-49f0-b4a3-83fd1ba553d3.jpg

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Very kewl! Care to share the gory camo details? What kind of container? What kind of glue? Real or faux leaves? Etc? I don't think you'll need to worry about it getting muggled. Heck, if it wasn't for the "Y" shaped branch as a ground zero indicator, you might have a tough time finding it yourself on maintenance visits. I actually had that happen to me on my Our Tribute cache. It's a camo'ed ammo can tucked into the root ball of a fallen tree. A noob DNF'ed it, so I went out to do a maintenance check, and it took me a couple minutes to find it. My initial belief was that it was MIA. Here's what it looks like out of it's hiding spot;

To be honest, it's just a wicker basket that I layed over top of a rubbermaid container (spray painted brown). The leaves are real...straight off my back patio and hot glued on. I have read that hot glue won't weather well, but I am one of those "have to learn the hard way" types. Actually I don't expect the basket or leaves to hold up well either, but I was anxious to place my first cache so I had to make-do with what I had! My next one will be better thought out!

Funny that you mentiond the Y shaped log...it's actually part of the cache name!

Yours looks cool too! I'll bet it blends in well! Caches like those were my inspiration!

Edited by IfIOnlyHadABrain

WOW it took me most of the day to go through this and I didn't even read most of them, just looked at pictures.

I would like to add however, as eBay photos don't last forever, if you're adding a link to eBay, please DON'T. Instead use something like http://www.imageshack.us/ to upload pictures, then that way we can all still see the images months and years from now.

Now for my own input:

A friend has placed numerous film canisters in an evergreen, only one of which is the real micro, the others are decoys.

And how about many suspicious-piles-of-sticks?

Here's another: (Surprised I didn't see a picture of this as there are several out there)

1210061732pc1.jpg

And another:

2010061212dq1.jpg

And many more ideass but no pictures.

Here are a couple pictures of my first cache. The first picture is in my house (obviously). The second is the actual placement. Feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

cache.jpg

cacheplaced.jpg

EXCELLENT WORK! How long does the camo job stay together? I would really like to do this with a few of my hides.

I'll have to let you know! This is my first hide & it's only been there a few days.

I've been working on one to place in a ditch next to a concrete fence post. I'm trying to make sure that a kid riding by on a bike won't give it a second glance. The sticker says "Warning, authorized personnel only", but it includes enough clues so that a cacher will know what it is. It also directs them to a web site: www.UniversalGeoServices.com which tells anyone who finds it about Geocaching.

Here is a link to some more photos that I've taken:

obj10geo10pg2p15.jpg

obj8geo8pg2p15.jpg

It looks better in it's real location. These are just shots in my yard.

I have a cache that was put out this summer. I didn't want to post any pics online till a bunch of people had a chance to find it and have the WOW factor hit them. Since I have found out that a local is showing pics of it to others, I might as well release my own pics here. Let me know what ya think.

abcf5e79-0778-4b34-8426-3539922dd968.jpg

b70d397c-cb1b-47c0-9fe2-a0e7d47e5505.jpg

I like this idea very much.

I'm willing to bet that a cache somewhat similar shows up in my neck of the woods someday..... :surprise:

Very neat idea....

DAryl