Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

My husband works with security and alarm systems of all sorts. I found this in the garage today, destined for the trash:

NewCache.jpg

I plan to hang it on the back side of a tree just off a half-mile long trail, and will either hide a container inside it, or tape coords behind the spring-loaded door and use it as the first leg of a two-stage multi (if the final were close to a fire tower or fire station, even better). Has anyone hidden anything in this manner? If so, how does it go over? If not, I claim the potential bragging rights. :D

My husband works with security and alarm systems of all sorts. I found this in the garage today, destined for the trash:

NewCache.jpg

I plan to hang it on the back side of a tree just off a half-mile long trail, and will either hide a container inside it, or tape coords behind the spring-loaded door and use it as the first leg of a two-stage multi (if the final were close to a fire tower or fire station, even better). Has anyone hidden anything in this manner? If so, how does it go over? If not, I claim the potential bragging rights. :)

I think that is a great idea. Either way you do it should be fun.

I have a container out in the woods that doesn't belong there. It doesn't get found very often, but I think the people who have found it have enjoyed the odd juxtaposition. B)

"What's This?"

NewCache.jpg

I plan to hang it on the back side of a tree just off a half-mile long trail, and will either hide a container inside it, or tape coords behind the spring-loaded door and use it as the first leg of a two-stage multi (if the final were close to a fire tower or fire station, even better). Has anyone hidden anything in this manner? If so, how does it go over? If not, I claim the potential bragging rights. :)

Name it "Smokey the Bear". Or "Only YOU can prevent forest fires."

I have been searching for the perfect place to hide my first cache, and now you evil people have opened up so many more possibilities! I am really liking the reflector idea, I live in a metro area, so that one might be perfect!

I do have one question, I have seen a few caches attached to city installations, were do you find the paint to match exactly what the city uses?

I do have one question, I have seen a few caches attached to city installations, were do you find the paint to match exactly what the city uses?
I picked up several color sample cards from the paint store, went to the site and found the closest color match, and then had the paint store mix me up a quart of that color. It should be easy to get close enough that it doesn't attract attention. If it doesn't quite match, then that's a feature, IMHO: attentive cachers might find it by noting the subtle color inconsistency.

As some of you my know, snails are nice little creatures. In Portugal, they're cooked in some ways and they're are delicious! (Ok, Cruella hates them, but I love'em).

So, take a normal snail, very common in Portugal...

cachecaracol001hx4.jpg

Add some insanity from an owner...

cachecaracol002zj1.jpg

And you'll get one to remember for life...

cachecaracol003rm8.jpg

Got the coordinates? Now let's leave it where we found it.

cachecaracol004vb4.jpg

And yes. It has a magnet inside so the holds to the metal plate.

Probably, the best container I found. What do you think? Is Portuguese Geocaching on the right track? :lol:

As some of you my know, snails are nice little creatures. In Portugal, they're cooked in some ways and they're are delicious! (Ok, Cruella hates them, but I love'em).

cachecaracol001hx4.jpg

cachecaracol002zj1.jpg

cachecaracol003rm8.jpg

cachecaracol004vb4.jpg

Probably, the best container I found. What do you think? Is Portuguese Geocaching on the right track? :blink:

OMG! That is awesome! Maybe a couple of coats of shellac to harden the shell so it doesn't get broken would help.

cachecaracol001hx4.jpg

cachecaracol002zj1.jpg

cachecaracol003rm8.jpg

cachecaracol004vb4.jpg

Probably, the best container I found. What do you think? Is Portuguese Geocaching on the right track? ;)

Simply Nasty...but I love it!!!

x.jpg

x.jpg

x.jpg

Probably, the best container I found. What do you think? Is Portuguese Geocaching on the right track? :D

My buddy had a similar idea. In his version, he filled the shell with epoxy and inserted a pin. I think he wrote the coords on the epoxy. Very similar and very cool idea.

cachecaracol001hx4.jpg

cachecaracol002zj1.jpg

cachecaracol003rm8.jpg

cachecaracol004vb4.jpg

Probably, the best container I found. What do you think? Is Portuguese Geocaching on the right track? :D

I love it!!!

Might not work too well in Maine though... snails and snow don't mix! :D :D :D:D

I hear that when u drill out a golf ball stuff comes flying out and is very dangerous! I stick to the tenis ball idea :)

I've opened up many a golf ball. Used to take a hack saw and carefully cut the shell all around the circumerence, then unwind the LONG strand of rbber band wrapped around the core. Most of the cores were solid, a fw were liquid. We 'heard' they were filled with acid.

I've since drilled holes through a lot of golf balls and ran into one with a liquid core. It spurted out of the ball, in my face and all over my tools. Cleaned up, without any permanent damage (jerk) to either my tools (twitch) or myself (uh, what was I saying?).

O.K. I had to go look, check out this page . . . Straight Dope: Does the center of a golf ball contain a deadly poison? :P

JohnTee

This is a cache near us that has to do with the original Pirates of the Caribbean Movie. I would rather not give the name because it is an active cache. The ‘top’ is a plaster cast with pirate symbols. The thing that caught my eye was the plastic Disneyland jewel for the eye, otherwise it looks like a lump of concrete. Lifting it up reveals a Tupperware container in the concrete. The location it was placed was perfect for a lump of concrete.

Plaster1.jpg

Plaster2.jpg

:ph34r:;):D:):P

*$&^@$& Crap!

:ph34r:

:D

Okay it took me three days to read this post from top to bottom... yeah, yeah, yeah there were a lot of breaks in between - I've got kids, what can I say? Man! As a neophyte I thought - "Geocaching will be fun! How hard could it be? Go some places I've never been before, get some sun, go for a walk in the woods, find a cache."

What a naive fool am I. I'm doomed... doomed I say! :)

The good news is, now I can finally put that art degree to good use! Thanks for all the amazing ideas. Wow - I'm so impressed. Not only will I probably steal a few of these, but I hope to one day contribute to this thread with a few "originals". I also will be on the look out for more than just tupperware... you sneaky devils you! teu26.gif Thanks for the awesome thread.

PS: I do worry about some of the "electrical" caches, especially when caching with kids - I don't want them to think it's okay to mess with that kind of stuff. It's one thing if an informed adult makes that decision, but children can't always distinguish between the game and the real thing. I would highly recommend marking these or at least making a note in the description for the hunt. (for the covered outlets, mark under the cover - the casual observer wouldn't bother it - a Geocacher might open the cover and see a mark and know it's okay to muck about with it... just a thought)

P1010288.jpg

P1010297.jpg

Granted I can't tell from the picture exactly what this is but having been an electrician at one time, to me this would look like a severe safety issue. There is no way in **** I would reach in and pull out a bare wire. I'll give you this, it is cool, but please reconsider. Even if that wire is dead there is always the possibility of there being a break in the insulation of the other wires. :shocked:

not really cool containers, just bought some camo spray paint and did some experimenting with a variety of containers:

cachecamo1.jpg

cachecamo2.jpg

Don't know where they are all going yet, the ammo can originally had camo tape on it, I sprayed right over it so it now has somewhat of a texture to it. We'll see what paint scheme proves to be the best at hiding them as time goes on, I've been going with mostly larger containers lately since I like to have a logbook where people can actually write more than just the date and name.

not really cool containers, just bought some camo spray paint and did some experimenting with a variety of containers:

--snip pics--

Don't know where they are all going yet, the ammo can originally had camo tape on it, I sprayed right over it so it now has somewhat of a texture to it. We'll see what paint scheme proves to be the best at hiding them as time goes on, I've been going with mostly larger containers lately since I like to have a logbook where people can actually write more than just the date and name.

That is some outstanding paint work.. How did you mix up the colors so well? :blink: Mine never look like that.

trial and error mostly, with the ones with the maple leaf pattern I started with a light brown, the lightest color I had and worked my way up to the darkest, black. For a darker camo on the ammo can and the 2 dark Lock N Locks I started with a flat green and just kept layering until I got them the way I wanted. I used the flat green and black paint the most, if you can get the shadows just right, (and I've seen containers that do this) it'll blend in perfectly. The darker containers will likely be hidden in thicker wooded spots while the lighter, fall-color ones will be in areas with lots of leaf debris.

trial and error mostly, with the ones with the maple leaf pattern I started with a light brown, the lightest color I had and worked my way up to the darkest, black. For a darker camo on the ammo can and the 2 dark Lock N Locks I started with a flat green and just kept layering until I got them the way I wanted. I used the flat green and black paint the most, if you can get the shadows just right, (and I've seen containers that do this) it'll blend in perfectly. The darker containers will likely be hidden in thicker wooded spots while the lighter, fall-color ones will be in areas with lots of leaf debris.

That's similar to the technique I use. Rough up the can with sandpaper. Spray primer. Start with light colors and get progressively darker. Start with smaller leaves and pine needles, then progressively bigger ending with maple or oak leaves. When you're painting the intermediate layers, spray random "Z"s over the surface. Use a black sharpie marker to draw in shadows on the edges of leaves. Finish with a dusting/spattering of black and dark brown spray, just to give it a mottled appearance and eliminate any hard lines.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

these are fun

7f75c614-0d86-4972-9819-09a514f517e1.jpg

I ain't sticking my hand in that mouth, not even for a smiley!! :blink:

But you don't have to reach into his mouth to get it. Just poke at his left eye until he spits it out.

Getting back into it's hiding place, on the other hand, is a whole different story. :huh:

DAryl

Edited by Jeonlyep

One place I'd never log a cache would be if it was on or near an electrical box.

I really don't think that it's a good idea to encourage people to touch these - there's a WHOLE LOTTA electrical current right below your fingertips. A freak "short" (unlikely, but possible) to the lid of the box and "blammo".

Edited by conradv

cachehouse.gif

Here's one I just put out.

When the side panel is on it looks no different then any other birdhouse :blink:

I saw on like this where the bottom of the bird hous drops out when you pull the stick out (the perch) that the bird would sit on to go in to the hole. The perch stick was a locking pin to hold the bottom in. They had a strap going up over the cache container, over the pin, and back down to the base... It was nicely painted too!!

here's a pic that's a little better than the ones I posted earlier, this is the containers in natural light, I just got them loaded in the truck so they will be close at hand as I look for new locations.

cachecamo3.jpg

Lock N Lock containers have really grown on me, so much cheaper than decons and ammo cans and the variety of sizes means you can find one to fit the spot. All these caches need is some swag and they will be ready to go! I just added the logbooks and pencils a little while ago. I enjoyed painting these so much I don't think I'll ever use camo tape again.

Edited by Tsmola