Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

AmishHacker

I tried this one just for kicks. The lockset I was using made it very difficult. The actual keyhole presented a problem since the tumbler mechanism comes out when you gut the lock. :anitongue:

I also was considering this one seriously. Now that I think about it, I believe that *all* of these mechanisms would be the same, that is, the keyhole is an integral part of the tumbler. I wonder if Kazack could let us know if he/she had the same problem, and how it was overcome?

Cheers,

dak

Here is a rough breakdown of how we built the container. Hope this helps

769b6aa1-2a82-4d33-94c9-7e503a997250.jpg

Super-glue will eventually break down. Did you consider 2-part epoxy?

Try JB weld. Works great. I have even fixed a hole in a car radiator with it.

jbweld_lrg.jpg

Kevin

Will the camo last?

I hope so. I've got several out in the field that have held up for 6 months or better. My camo method involves smearing on clear silicon caulk, about the consistency of peanut butter on a sandwich, then applying the medium, either moss, pine bark, dried grasses, etc. Once it sits inside a couple days, the caulk hardens and clears, then it's ready for the woods. Something I learned the hard way is, if you hide it too soon, and the caulk is not completely dry, the outside moisture will prevent it from curing properly, and your camo won't stick.

Here is one that I used to have out until some muggles beat it to death... It lasted for quite some time though with many DNF's... I would post pictures, but I'm not sure how so here is the Cache number: GCQJKQ

This was a good one, but we have a better one that we will put out in about a month that is nothing like this one...

Here is one that I used to have out until some muggles beat it to death... It lasted for quite some time though with many DNF's... I would post pictures, but I'm not sure how so here is the Cache number: GCQJKQ

This was a good one, but we have a better one that we will put out in about a month that is nothing like this one...

Here you go:

a61c4a3b-5fcf-4d70-905a-08949d26f8b9.jpg

Nice, BTW.

How was the container (above) used? I can't tell if it's to be hidden as a signpost or as part of a boardwalk, or...

Sorry for my blindness. I can tell a good bit of work went into it - I just don't understand how it's hidden in plain sight.

S-4-C

Edit...

Nevermind! I went to the cache page noted above the last post. Like I said, I'm blind. :anibad:

Very well done.

Edited by Strapped-4-Cache

For all the "bump" replies, there really is no need.

At the top, right of the page click: options then track this topic. You'll then get an email notification every time the thread is updated and then you too can be annoyed by email alert for a "bump".

Realy, its nice to forget about the thread and get a note months later.

Here's my contribution. I made this one for my girlfriend's recent event. She hung decoy pine cones in the tree to throw them off. Several of them put their hands right on it before realizing it was the container. At the end of the event we gave it away to one of the winners.

IMG_2101a.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh I love this last one. SOOOO nice. Is that a real tree trunk? How did you get the root system to come out so nice? Do tell how this was made? What a great cache. Thanks for sharing...Im inspired...totally cool

Thanks. Yes, it's real, and it's hardwood; fresh hardwood. I think it's cherry. I cut the tree down myself (it was sickly), then dug a trench around the root system, and hacked away with a chainsaw. Lemme tell ya, I got some good practice sharpening the chain! For the hole, I started out by drilling four holes with a large boring bit, then finished it off with the trusty Poulan. It's about 8" deep and accomodates 4" PVC.

IMG_2052.jpg

Well I've been reading and looking at all these great containers and decided to try a couple of my own. I've just recently placed the cache and it hasn't been found yet so I'm not going to upload the pictures just yet.

Here is the cache for anyone in middle Tennessee that would like to see if they can find it: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a2-8e0e7fd9dc27

Once there have been a few logs I'll post some pictures of my containers :rolleyes:

We think our cache the AE2 is pretty cool as it is a remote control submarine. You first have to find the remote control, which operates the cache. The cache is hidden below the surface and the remote control allows the user to raise the sub to the surface. Once you have done with the swaps and stuff you then use the controller to submerge the sub back below the water.

a329ee25-dd34-4de1-960a-28695fad735f.jpg

Wow. I realize this is a WAY old thread but THAT is the type of cache I want to design! Something Rube Goldberg-esque that you don't just find...you *activate!* XD

AWESOME!

This is my answer to "no room for anything but a micro".

The sticker reads:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

I like that! :)

Now what you need is to make the combination match the co-ordinates.

We have a padlock geocache here that does just that. It is a 4 digit combo made up of different parts of the co-ordinates. Took us a few minutes to figure it out.

Made my own cache container using paint and polyurethane foam - won't do that again as one bird showed the fault by pecking a few little holes - fixed those but plaster would be better.

That is absolutely gorgeous! However, avoid plaster, unless you know of a better way of weather-proofing it than I do. I tried a small paster fake rock last year (made a mold of a real rock using latex) but fortunately, I didn't place it until weather testing it first. I had painted it, and even given it several coats of clear polyurethane, but it still didn't hold up.

Two of my favorites I have pictures of:

There were 3 teams looking for this at the same time and it still took us almost 1/2 hour to find it. Was in a long fence line of grapevines and even after you found it, if you backed up 3 feet, you'd loose it again.

grapevine.jpg

And this one was the first stage of a multi-cache. Inside the nose it had a glass vial with the coordinates to the next stage. This nose was pretty deep in the woods. Fun find!

nose.jpg

Edited by Quantum Farms

rockcacheclosedmedium3cw.jpg

Made my own cache container using paint and polyurethane foam - won't do that again as one bird showed the fault by pecking a few little holes - fixed those but plaster would be better.

:lol:

rockcachopenmedium4ir.jpg

The stainless container is designed to keep 4 pounds of coffee.

Did you make a mold out of the rock? If you did it freehandlee...then props to you because I thought it was real!

-ChaseOnTheGo

We have a padlock geocache here that does just that. It is a 4 digit combo made up of different parts of the co-ordinates. Took us a few minutes to figure it out.

I have a locked cache, it's a metal box on a post with a pipe fitting out the top thru the bottom, and a fake cell antenna on the side. On it, it says "Geomonitor, precipitation reporting station. It's name is "Easy as 1539" and the combo number is?

Yep, that's right. 9473

DAryl

I have a locked cache, it's a metal box on a post with a pipe fitting out the top thru the bottom, and a fake cell antenna on the side. On it, it says "Geomonitor, precipitation reporting station. It's name is "Easy as 1539" and the combo number is?

Yep, that's right. 9473

DAryl

Ok, I don't know if it is late or I am just slow but....I don't get it :D

I'm really impressed with the clever ideas in this thread! I'm new to this sport and I had no idea how involved and original caches could/can be. Kudos! And sbell111, I saw your stuff on Ebay, a week or so back, when I was researching GPS device, and I was impressed with your creativity then. You're very imaginative.

My favorite had to be the boat floats. It would seem obvious, but I bet I wouldn't of found it.

I'm really impressed with the clever ideas in this thread! I'm new to this sport and I had no idea how involved and original caches could/can be. Kudos! And sbell111, I saw your stuff on Ebay, a week or so back, when I was researching GPS device, and I was impressed with your creativity then. You're very imaginative.

Thanks. That means a lot to me.

Thanks. That means a lot to me.

I placed one of sbell111's "containers" in POPLAR SPRING - Circa 1795: and Earlier.

The site at the time was very small, and needed a container that could be "hid in plain sight" - It worked great!, and still draws praise from persons finding the cache. I am very pleased with it, and echo the OP's praise.

Thanks

Edited by SharpShin'
This is my answer to "no room for anything but a micro".

The sticker reads:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

I like that! :anicute:

Now what you need is to make the combination match the co-ordinates.

Now when you think of Gps numbers, does minutes come to mind? It takes everybody a few minutes to find!!

Here's my latest, done in a moss/palmetto motif;

b2de1bae-ad0d-4d5b-a79f-4be75c204363.jpg

Nice camo job, now how about releasing those Jeep travel bugs you have pictured for everyone to enjoy. You've had the YJTB since 12/3/2005 and the WJTB since 6/19/2005 as your "personal property". THEY DON'T BELONG TO YOU! Have a nice day.

4da59a3e-0d8d-42f9-98da-9e7a8bcb0d4b.jpg

Edited by Bill & Tammy

Here's my latest, done in a moss/palmetto motif;

b2de1bae-ad0d-4d5b-a79f-4be75c204363.jpg

Nice camo job, now how about releasing those Jeep travel bugs you have pictured for everyone to enjoy. You've had the YJTB since 12/3/2005 and the WJTB since 6/19/2005 as your "personal property". THEY DON'T BELONG TO YOU! Have a nice day.

4da59a3e-0d8d-42f9-98da-9e7a8bcb0d4b.jpg

Oh, well said! That is one of my pet peeves. I think it is sooooo wrong for people to hold onto those jeeps. I believe it is stealing because they were not intended to be held onto. Almost as bad, but not quite, as stealing geocoins from caches for a personal collection. <_<